[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

THE DRAGON'S TRAP REMAKE pretty sweet. made by bock the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 17

THE DRAGON'S TRAP REMAKE

pretty sweet. made by bock the dude behind meka emulator/sms power.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibKf66tVoFw
>>
I am hype
>>
>>3263237
same and i only *kind of* enjoyed the original. this? this looks fucking sweet.
>>
File: pa_013.jpg (108KB, 562x574px) Image search: [Google]
pa_013.jpg
108KB, 562x574px
Holy shit that looks fantastic

>dotemu

Wut. The same guys that butchered those pc ports of various neo geo games?
>>
>>3263296
They basically butcher everything they touch
>>
>>3263296
i think it's possible they hired bock to do it correctly or bock seeked them out? idk?
>>
>>3263296
If they're merely acting as a publisher it may be ok.
>>
File: WonderBoyTheDragonsTrap-03.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WonderBoyTheDragonsTrap-03.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>3263224
I'm not loving the zeitgeisty action / comedy schtick bits in the video, but that's what you get with french artists: phenomenal technical prowess, skin-deep originality

Still: so hype. It does look goddamn amazing
>>
>>3263224
Looks like every other retro remake out there. There should be a name for this style because it's becoming the new "generic".
>>
>>3263563

Please have better opinions because yours suck.
>>
>>3263551
>Still: so hype.

That's not how you use colons.
>>
File: 713pvpme3VL._SL1280_.jpg (144KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
713pvpme3VL._SL1280_.jpg
144KB, 1280x720px
>>3263563
I disagree.

A lot of remakes insist on injecting 3-D into the game alongside some 2-D sprites which makes it look funky, and not in a good way. However this one's focusing purely on 2-D art and animations which is a lot better looking in my opinion.
>>
>>3264089
It's funny that if you look at the thumbnails, it almost looks like the same game.
>>
>>3264132
I actually did think it was the same game until I clicked on the thumbnail

Let's see if it works for wario land shake it as well.
>>
Looks generic as fuck. What's wrong in replicating late 80's/early 90's anime style?
>>
Is this actually going to happen or will it be like most other remakes - constant updates and teases but never fucking released?
>>
>>3263224
>we want the angry birds audience
>>
>>3264264
Because animu is for virgin weebs and neckbeard MRA dudebros and it's no good, didn't you get the memo? Who cares if there's only a market because Japan fixed the mess Atari caused, we don't owe them anything! Gotta erase their mark on this industry that we own now!
>>
>>3264253
Totally looks too similar. This is the new generic, inded.
>>
>>3264468
Sorry. I'm here in my basement cutting my penis and deleting my waifu as punishment.
>>
>>3264264
Show me other games using a french comics aesthetic.

"Hand drawn but not anime" isn't an art style. This looks nothing like games like Wario Land: Shake It, Shantae, Lab Zero games or Vanillaware's stuff.
>>
>>3264328
nah bock has released several commercial games
>>
>>3264505
Pf, looks the same as everything else on that line with slightly different art. Big deal. Even the thumbnails look like other games. This style lost its shine like 4 years ago.
>>
>>3263232
This is what I wanted Mighty No. 9 to be.
>>
The game just isn't the same without that distinctly japanese feel. Now it's just another generic remake.

Everything had it's soul. Sprites, sound, concept... Wonder Boy was a product of its time. Now is... nothing.
>>
>>3263551
>but that's what you get with french artists: phenomenal technical prowess, skin-deep originality
It looks like a mobile phone game.
>>
>>3265029
*tip fedora*
>>
>>3264590
>These hand drawn styles all look the same if you post them as tiny distorted images in the same level type.
No fucking shit.
This happens with most pixel art games too when you take them out of context and reduce the image to a fraction of its size.

They're all cartoony 2D games with thicker black outlines. That's where the resemblance ends, and it's generalizing the fuck out of each individual game. Duck Tales doesn't even have 2D environments, it's psuedo-3D garbage.

Hand drawn 2D is outright better than pixel art in this day and age. It scales to higher resolutions and larger screen sizes way the fuck better.
>>
I love Dragon's Trap, but this remake just doesn't look like anything special to me
>>
>>3263224
I have played all versions of the original, and I must say that....this new one looks amazing!
I hope it plays as well as it looks.
>>
>>3263224
Is this Angry Birds?
>>
looks like a flash game to me, real next gen 2D should be like the odin sphere remake.
>>
>>3265029
>Less saturated, more pastel.
>Textured rather than flat shading.
>Less use of rotation and scaling of sprites.

You're still right, but it looks better than most.
>>
>>3265368
Vanillaware games look like they're made in flash.
>>
>>3265368
Vanillaware's style is only good at specific things.

They can get away with that level of detail because rather than hand animating anything they puppet the characters like dolls using tweens and shit.

Also this style is far more faithful to the cartoony look of the original game than theirs. I don't see what's bad about it at all besides the association people have made between 2D and mobile games/cheap flash games, which comes off as silly to me. It's like calling every game aiming for a more photorealistic style a brown and bloom shooter and dismissing it for that.
>>
I like the fact that it looks like the concept art did.
Most games show you concept art and then in game it is something totally different.
I dunno, I dig this new version a lot.
>>
>>3263224
Is this a Malaysian mobile game? I'll just replay it on PC Engine/SMS if i want to revisit it.
>>
File: pig.png (4KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
pig.png
4KB, 512x512px
Finally someone gets it.
Really tired of those remakes where the assets look like they've been simply passed by a HQ4X filter and maybe touched up a bit.

Still I'm cautiously optimistic, the animations look incredible, but if not handled right the devs usually fall in love with their animation assets and ends up adding delay to some actions.
>>
>>3263296
>dotemu
Yeah I was surprised as well. Still they don't seem to be the developers.
>>
>>3264524
I never knew that, what else did he make?
>>
>>3265552
Fair enough, Dragon's Trap is one of the best looking games on those systems.
>>
>>3265725
http://www.miracleworld.net/
>>
>>3265725
He did Soul Bubbles and Pixel Junk Shooter.

I met a guy that did an internship at Mekensleep and worked on Soul Bubbles.
He told me he worked with bock. "Who?" "Omar Cornut". "Holy shit, the guy behind Meka and biggest SMS enthusiast in the world!?". He sais he was a really nice person and an awesome programmer.
>>
>>3263224

It looks like an ugly Flash game from 2006.
>>
What happened to the Toki remake?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjg1s6A6VJ8

The fuck is going on in my world
>>
Just play 1&2 on Master System and 3&4 on Megadrive. HD remakes are cancer.
>>
>>3267782
This one looks about a thousand times better. Why does the other one look like shit?
>>
>>3263563
flash cartoon style?
>>
>>3265802
ded
>>
>>3263563
at least it's not indie pixels.
>>
File: LOOK AT THIS HOT FUCKING MESS.jpg (404KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LOOK AT THIS HOT FUCKING MESS.jpg
404KB, 1920x1080px
>>3263563
>beautiful hand drawn animations
>Looks like every other retro remake out there

Do you honestly know the state of 2D retro remakes out there. Very few actually put in the effort.
>>
>>3268201
does anybody actually have any ideas about what's even worth putting effort into?
>>
File: CV99KO8U8AAcqDk.png (213KB, 512x256px) Image search: [Google]
CV99KO8U8AAcqDk.png
213KB, 512x256px
>>3268203
I'm sorry can you repeat that question
>>
looks like the shitty tumblr artstyle of those new cartoons on cartoon network
>>
>>3265368
Vanillaware games although they are beautiful looking they actually rely more on tweening and puppet tools rather than traditional animation. On most assets it looks amazing and pretty subtle, but in big bosses that fill the whole screen it gets pretty obvious and a little bit egregious.
>>
>>3264089
I don't really mind the mix, but the 3D really should be limited to the backgrounds. Those 3D chests stick out like a sore thumb
>>
>>3267808
The colors in this one look closer to old anime. Sadly, it's not anime enough.
>>
>>3267808
Funny how tastes are so subjective, I would say the complete opposite
>>
looks street fighter hd remix tier awful.
>>
>>3268350
If "old anime" means from 2005, then yes, it looks like "old anime".
>>
>>3268459
Nothing could be that disapointing.
>>
>>3263232
What worries me is the sound design. It'd probably be best to not use any voice clips at all, and just use sound effects resembling the bleep bloop effects of the original. Like that zombie Dragon's "bleh" is jarring.
>>
>>3263224
>the MEKA emu guy is behind this.

ok, not to be pessimist, but what could be his role here?,he is not like chris whitehead (taxman) who created a high performance game engine specifically for this kind of games.

what kind of knowledge he can bring to the table on this?, except that he is a fan of the game too and wrote an emu.
>>
Mite be cool.
>>
>>3269046
he's written a lot of commercial shit, retard. did you not read the thread?

also the assumption here is that it's actually an emulator that is playing the original game with a skin applied/engine system of its own on top.
>>
>>3269046
>he is a fan of the game too
And here's where everything always goes wrong.
Fans aren't creators or developers.
>>
>>3268205
in this day and age does it really matter what anyone thinks they're doing? has anyone made anything innovative in the last five years even?
>>
File: 1358895429275.gif (1017KB, 126x168px) Image search: [Google]
1358895429275.gif
1017KB, 126x168px
>>3269312
Ninja what the fuck are you trying to say
>>
>>3268220
If it's a videogame there's no legitimate reason not to sakuga everything, especially if the animations are going to be used over and over

This is why King of Fighters will never actually look bad no matter how old it gets

what a surprise that french people are fucking lazy though, who would have ever expected that
>>
>>3269324
The fuck jimbob, maybe you don't like the character concepts but the animation looks fucking smooth.
The only thing that looks lazy and unfinished so far are the skeleton animations and the snake jumping.
>>
>>3269071
>also the assumption here is that it's actually an emulator that is playing the original game with a skin applied/engine system of its own on top.

I would imagine that's highly unintuitive and more trouble than it's worth. It's not like the original game had such complex mechanics impossible to replicate.
>>
>>3269323
that nobody has any good ideas anymore and nobody has done anything other than recycle other ideas for years in this industry
>>
>>3269336
see, all I see is a puppet on a stick sliding around, it doesn't actually look animated, it looks like a paper puppet show, and that is unacceptable.
>>
File: snake_demo.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
snake_demo.gif
2MB, 320x240px
The german remake looks like shit though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjg1s6A6VJ8
>>
File: Animation1.gif (173KB, 130x131px) Image search: [Google]
Animation1.gif
173KB, 130x131px
>>3269354
Anon, I'm a shitty animator, I can hardly do traditional animation in a reasonable timeframe so I'm limited to use puppet tools and tweening for a lot of stuff.

And let me tell you if these guys are using tweening/puppet tools it's either very well hidden or so subtle that I can't notice it (for whatever that's worth).

And considering they're using in-between frames, animation blurring and stretching/contracting exaggeration I highly doubt it (you can easily spot it in the mouse character).
>>
>>3269350
I'm not sure "nobody has good ideas anymore" is actually a product of everyone being less inspired these days or we're past the point of diminishing returns when it comes to figuring out new stuff for games.

Obviously you have to concede that 30 years ago when every dev was just figuring out how to even make a goddamn video game they would invent a lot more stuff easily since nobody had invented anything so far, or genres, etc. As time passes that window gets smaller and smaller as more things get scratched out as original concepts.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but I don't think it's that cut and dry, you can easily make an argument for both scenarios.
>>
>>3269369
Everything is so fucking glossy what the dicks
Looks like as if Popcap tried to make a Monster Boy
>>
the french one has no soul tho
>>
>>3269431
>the french one has no soul tho
The french one has soul. The german one looks like a soulless, incompetent ugly rushjob.
>>
>>3269482
The German one looks at least fun to play with. There's a bit of substance even if it's not as superficially pretty looking.

The French one is just gonna get up and smoke and start drinking in the morning while it complains about your lack of processing power.
>>
File: 1438895891500.png (128KB, 478x225px) Image search: [Google]
1438895891500.png
128KB, 478x225px
Can't wait to hear their version of best song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqiSh6tET3k

I think they both look pretty fun, and I'm going to get both and have fun!
>>
>>3269097
See, that's where you're wrong, Sonic fans make better Sonic games than Sega these days.
>>
>>3270017
this, to be quite honest, super family computer.
>>
>>3270017
They may make less shitty games than Sega, but they still suck.
>>
>>3263224
>>3263232
>excellent animation, great style, tight looking gameplay

holy shit you guys I might ACTUALLY be hype...

I actually own the originals from when they first came out on the master system and I never thought I'd see anything this well done as a follow up. I am legit excited for a game for the first time in YEARS.

And yeah I backed mighty
>>
>>3267808
>>3268445
Same

Cursed kingdom looks totally charmless, the graphics are so clean and sterile it looks like a game made in a game maker using clipart graphics. It's difficult to describe except that it looks like there's no heart in it. Like a phone game made in flash.

But honestly, 2 monster boy games in the same year? I'll take it. Just hope Dragon's Trap is the start in a long line of excellently designed remakes.
>>
>>3269354

The only thing unacceptable is how you're allowed to breath with such stupid as fuck opinions
>>
File: 630x.jpg (63KB, 630x394px) Image search: [Google]
630x.jpg
63KB, 630x394px
>>3263224
>>3264132
>>
>>3263224
I don't normally come to /vr/, but I was sad enough to recognise this subtitle.
The most important thing about a remake of WB3 has gotta be the music.
>>
>>3265802
They said that they're "still working on it".

Who cares at this point.
>>
Not retro, never will be retro.
:)
>>
i will buy this, just letting you know bros. this game is my youth
>>
>>3271797
also I hope the song remixes will be good. this is the most important to me
>>
>>3270674
Several of them are pretty good actually.
>>
>>3269431
>>3269482
>>3269498
both are french, yknow
>>
>>3264132
The french touch. The original Rayman is more than 20 years old.
>>
So there are 2 remakes in the works. I must say I like the other better than this flash game. It looks more fun to play and authentic.
>>
Cursed Kingdom looks much better
>>
>>3273689
>So there are 2 remakes in the works
There are not.
One is a direct sequel/spiritual successor, without license, with different worlds, enemies, bosses, and abilities.
The other, this one, is the only actual remake, which will keep everything as it is with small addition(which hopefully won't ruing the experience)
>>
I dont give a fuck about the original developer on the devteam of this piece of shit.

This remake doesn't nothing to do with the original game's ambient.
>>
>>3263232
That looks fucking rad, best Master System game finally gets the love it deserves
You bet your ass i'm hype
>>
Anons; let us be positive for a change and try out BOTH games! Both look like they could be good fun.
>>
File: 1440801207981.png (4KB, 105x177px) Image search: [Google]
1440801207981.png
4KB, 105x177px
>>3275939
well duh. It'll be kinda' fun comparing the two.
>>
>>3265000
Good observation. I always loved the manual art in wb:monsterland & dragons trap. Old school anime. As a kid it was so distinctive and different.

>>3270703
Another great observation. I was less than hyped after seeing the monsterboy gameplay trailer. It just doesn't look fun. Was thoroughly dissapointed.
>>
>>3272015
And both based in Paris
>>
>>3267782
god damn that looks good
>>
>>3263224
wait does sega or westone know about this? if they do I hope they let it happen.
>>
>>3265000
that's true, but I mean there's still the original game and this doesn't taint that game anymore than sonic 06 being called "sonic the hedgehog" taints the actual 1991 MD/genesis "sonic the hedgehog"
>>
>>3267808
because this one has the actual guy who made wonder boy behind it.
>>
File: 1432763715603.jpg (13KB, 208x240px) Image search: [Google]
1432763715603.jpg
13KB, 208x240px
>the Toki remake is dead
JUST
>>
If you think that looks shitty, you haven't seen the Prehistorik remake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AFn7KMRvrc
>>
>>3276721
Westone went bankrupt and closed.
Dragon's Trap Remake will be published by DotEmu(fortunately not developed by them), who has already taken care of the license(like for every other remake/re-release they made).
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-08+at+06.52.48).png (33KB, 1008x608px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-08+at+06.52.48).png
33KB, 1008x608px
>>3263296
>>3263435
DotEmu is publishing it while some group I've never heard of is doing the actual work.
>>
>>3279735
did you even read the thread or the website you absolute retard
>>
>>3279792
I did, replies are about the quality of the remake, other remakes, and people's expectations of the remake. The website is where I got the screencap from and that's why I'm posting it here. No need for you to be angry and waste a reply contributing nothing to the thread.
>>
>>3279735
>some group I've never heard of
Co-founder of that group is also coder of MEKA, a SMS(and SEGA 8-Bit in general) Emulator/Debugger which was pretty popular in 1999/2002, especially for its debugger and extensive support/implementation of everything the SMS had to offer. Many homebrew were born thanks to it.
By now there are better(still relatively) options for the average user or general play, but it still one of the best choices for developers, hackers and anyone who cares for more than just playing SMS.
Plus, he's the founder of SMSPower, one of the most extensive and tech-savy community about SMS and anything regarding SMS games, from manuals, covers, and maps.
Basically, he's almost a legend among older people who grew up with a SMS and started emulating games as soon as it was possible.
I'm not entirely sure, but i think he's always been quite an expert about WBIIITDT, both for the game itself and its technical bits.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.