[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anybody still play these games? I recently downloaded TR4

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: TR.jpg (80KB, 713x713px) Image search: [Google]
TR.jpg
80KB, 713x713px
Does anybody still play these games? I recently downloaded TR4 The Last Revelation, i forgot how challenging and fun these games are. They just don't make games like this anymore, it's practically impossible without a walkthrough. The controls are clunky and the graphics don't hold up but that's all part of the challenge.
>>
I remember watching my dad play TR1 when i was young, and would get scared shitless at the atmosphere and enemies, especially those men with pet tigers.
This is the coolest level in TR4 so far, you drop down from the ceiling infront of a senet board which you get to play later on.
This shit is so immersive.
>>
>>3262445
Cumbersome, clunky and dated. The rebooted TR series is far, FAR better.
>>
File: TR4Senet.jpg (27KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
TR4Senet.jpg
27KB, 500x282px
>>3262452
forgot image.

>>3262453
i'm not sure you can call the reboot better, just different imo. It's hardly challenging any more and they baby sit you through it all. The old ones you would be stuck every 15 minutes without one of those old school guide books
>>
>>3262453
>better
too trigger happy, hardly any tomb raiding, lame weapon upgrade and collectible system. also no big boob lara
doesnt deserve to be called a reboot
>>
i never got very far in the first game when it was new, so i've been playing through it the past week and am now almost finished.

i admit that i've been glancing at a guide about once per level, but it's not like it's all that necessary.

the originally tomb raider is very obviously a platformer/puzzler, and does not deserve to be compared with the "we want the uncharted audience" reboot.
>>
>>3262460
>stuck every 15 minutes
>a good thing
>>
>>3262445
>it's practically impossible without a walkthrough
Maybe if you want to get all secrets in 3 & 4. I beat 1, 2, and 4 without a walkthrough and I was pretty young. Wait, I got stuck in 4 once in like the second level, but otherwise I managed okay.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has played the fan-made levels that I see online. Seems like there's a decent community that has made cool stuff and I would love to play a fresh set of top-notch oldschool TR levels.
>>
>>3262819
>What I'd like to know is if anyone has played the fan-made levels that I see online. Seems like there's a decent community that has made cool stuff and I would love to play a fresh set of top-notch oldschool TR levels.
The TR Level Editor is great. The community puts out pretty good games ranging from oldschool combat > key > push blocks rinse and repeat to really unique levels focused just on atmosphere and puzzles. Just check it out, there's tons of hidden gems.
>>
>>3262445
I enojoyed the first 4, but never played them after the time they came out... I tried a couple of times, but I lost tinterest in the first 3 or 4 levels...
>>
>>3262445
>Can't play it without a walkthrough
You wot m8?
What is wrong with you people?
Finished with no walkthrough. Although i did put it down and left it for 3 months coz I was stuck in a section on the last level.
Using walkthroughs. Comeon guys. Getchorshittogevver
>>
>>3262445
>the graphics don't hold up but that's all part of the challenge.
what
>>
The only thing I don't like about TR 1996 is the input lag for jumping.

Other than that it's golden.
>>
>>3262941
yeah that's definitely a bitch, especially before you could save whenever you want. You get used to it after a couple of running jumps, but desu i would laugh every time i hear her scream and the crunch of her legs breaking. classic!
>>
>>3262941
It's not "input" lag, the works on a square system and you jump at the end of your current square.
>>
as a kid I got stuck in antartica (TR3) for over a year
never beat the game
TR3 was sadistic at times
never cared for any TR game made after chronicles (and chronicles was kinda meh tbqh)
>>
>>3262460
>The old ones you would be stuck every 15 minutes without one of those old school guide books
I recently played through the original and 2 for the first time, and I didn't need a guide anywhere. You just suck at games.
>>
>>3262973
>and you jump at the end of your current square.
You're half-right. Lara's controls are calibrated to work with the grid of the game, but she is not constrained to the grid. If you start a running jump halfway into a square, you'll jump halfway into the next one.
>>
>>3262453
Lara in the reboot is fucking pathetic. The game is just her repeatedly getting injured, captured, and crying. It's not Lara at all. The fact she's flat just confirms it.
>>
>>3262445
I play. I am always playing these old trs. I like all trs old and new. I was playing tr5 along with Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.
>>
>>3264316
I'm going to start the mother of all flame wars to ever grace a gaming board.

Reboot Lara is a bigger insult to the source material than Donte was.
>>
>>3262973
>>3263374
You can walk to the edge of your square, hop backwards, and run and hold jump and you'll jump at the very edge of the square for maximum distance.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (88KB, 960x539px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
88KB, 960x539px
>>3262460
>lunky and dated. The reboot

Forgotten how to do this. What's the catch with this puzzle? I've just started TR4 after a 15 year absence. Can't remember shit. Like a whole new game again.
>>
>>3264407
you mean the puzzle in your screen shot or the Senet board?
>>
>>3264430

The Senet Board that's it. Even after all these years I still remember the hell of some of the puzzles, including that one. Where I am now is still pretty easy, making my way deeper underground.
>>
File: semerkhet.jpg (76KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
semerkhet.jpg
76KB, 800x587px
>>3264446
the board is awesome, the music that plays when you first see it is great, got me so immersed.
You end up finding a rule book after doing some puzzles involving fire, then you climb your way up and play the game against Semerkhet. There's two separate path ways, one for winning one for losing. You miss out on 5 secrets i think if you win, but its much easier to progress. Just save before hand if you're bothered.
>>
There are sooooo many people who never played the tutorial (or payed attention during it) so they don't understand how the grid-based jumping works.
>>
>>3264532
it's not explained very well though in my opinion, lara pretty much just tells you to experiment
>>
>>3264532
The problem is that grid based jumping is just clunk unintuitive trash
>>
fantastic games, aged pretty well considering. new tomb raider doesn't compare, hopefully for the 20th anniversary we will get a legit puzzle platformer lara game (with big bum and boobs)
>>
10/10 level design
3/10 controls and movement
>>
>>3264801
and the advantage of the human brain is that it is capable of learning and adapting.

if you're deliberate and accurate in input then lara is deliberate and accurate in execution. if you're sloppy in input then lara is sloppy in execution.
>>
Is TR1 still worth playing after finishing 2, 3 and 4? the saving system doesn't attract me, but it seems more challenging
>>
>>3265214
it's actually the best one in the series
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.