[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best way to go about fixing up old 64 controllers? I'd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: N64.jpg (53KB, 500x476px) Image search: [Google]
N64.jpg
53KB, 500x476px
Best way to go about fixing up old 64 controllers?

I'd love to have mine back in solid, working order for nostalgic nights for friends, but only one of them is really fair to use, and the others have the extremely loose sticks / buttons.
>>
Loose buttons? Is that even a thing?
>>
Video is kind of shitty, but this looks like one of the easiest fixes to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR_QMtXufHY
>>
>>3261903
Sticks are easy to replace. You can order a new one from Hong Kong for $5. Just pop open the controller and plug in the new stick

Some people recommend a GameCube style stick though
>>
File: stick.jpg (49KB, 469x297px) Image search: [Google]
stick.jpg
49KB, 469x297px
I was bored and been meaning to get around to fixing my controller for years, so I decided to try something similar to the video I posted in this thread already.

I didn't have any small washers laying around, so I improvised and took a silicone rubber earbud cover and used that in pretty much the same way as the video.

I cut off about a 1.5-2mm piece from the small end of the earbud, and slid it onto the end of the stick. Threw it all back together, and its a huge improvement. Was loose as fuck before, but now it snaps back to center almost as good as new.

I'm guessing the rubber from the piece I used is a bit more malleable than the washer in the video, so I didn't mess around with any lubricants. The stick moves without resistance, yet is still pretty solid.

All I used was a screwdriver, a pair of scissors, and the earbud piece. Pretty easy fix all said and done. Wish I had thought of it sooner.
>>
>>3261903
Best way is to get a $1 Japanese controller and then use it to replace the stick, buttons, board, case, and cable.
>>
>>3261903

There's a guy on Kickstarter who's making replacements he claims are better than third party stuff out there.

Of course we don't know if that's true, if he'll deliver, etc.. the project was funded just a couple months ago.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1483354489/enkko-repairing-the-n64-controller
>>
File: _2077444.jpg (147KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
_2077444.jpg
147KB, 1024x768px
>>3261903
don't buy a 3rd party replacement stick. every single one that is commercially available right now is shitty. wait for the SteelStick guy to release his, they're already confirmed to be good by smash players and speedrunners. the enkko sticks look promising too, but i don't know if anyone's tested them out yet.

you can also try out a gamecube to n64 adapter. i hear these are really decent:
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter/index.php

another decent option is the hori mini pad, but that's kind of expensive.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.