[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck is this game so expensive? Is it because the MemeGrumps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: Shatterhand_cover.jpg (69KB, 300x426px) Image search: [Google]
Shatterhand_cover.jpg
69KB, 300x426px
Why the fuck is this game so expensive? Is it because the MemeGrumps did a let's play of it?
>>
>>3254780
Exactly.
/thread
>>
It was a highly-rated game that came out late during the NES' lifespan (around the time the Super NES was launched). It's always been somewhat sought-after.
>>
It's been above $50 well before Gamegrumps had an episode about it. Also seems to be that everyone had the Nintendo Power issue that covered it.
>>
ebay says it's rare so that's why

also you retards actually pay for games instead of emulating so that's your fucking fault for actually paying these prices
>>
File: shatterhand.png (283KB, 1158x892px) Image search: [Google]
shatterhand.png
283KB, 1158x892px
Because it's the best action game on the system so naturally everyone wants it.
>>
>>3254829
This is the only true answer. It's the same reason Mega Man 4 is pricey. It was a good game that came out after most players had moved on to 16-bit consoles. This resulted in less people buying it, meaning there were no additional runs of it manufactured, and thus there are less available on the used market.

Simple supply and demand.
>>
I got a pal copy years ago for about £25 iirc. It's mental seeing it to see it skyrocket in price like this, I only got it like 4 or 5 years ago.
>>
Bought a complete copy for like 40 dollars like 6 years ago
>>
>>3254829
>It was a highly-rated game that came out late during the NES' lifespan
This here is the reason games like Shatterhand, Robin Hood, Snow Bros, Vice:Project Doom, Darkwing Duck, Panic Restaurant, Fire N Ice, DuckTales 2, and Little Sampson were pricey before the retro bubble hit. Most everyone had already moved on to either Genesis or SNES by the time these games were released. What do you think kids were hounding their parents to buy, a new system with amazing graphics or a new game for their old system with the same old graphics?

That being said, it's interesting to see the parallel rise in youtube celebs with a retro game focus and the prices of retro games. Take a look at Super Mario/Duck Hunt on VGPC. Back in the Funcoland days you could get a copy for $0.10. Being one of the most common carts in existence, it was only $1.00 in 2008. Stayed that way till the tail-end of 2009, when it suddenly had a price spike up to nearly $4.00. That was the first wave of E-Celeb fans hitting the market(AVGN, Nostalgia Critic). The price bounced between that high and back to $1.00, looking like it was gonna stabilize at $1.00 again until Sept 2012. Then it spikes and starts to climb to the new "normal" of $7.00-$10.00 for one of the most common carts ever made. That was around the time that the E-celebs were getting REALLY popular, and GameGrumps was founded to cash in on the popularity. Since that point prices have been in a steady climb for the most popular systems in the US, and on everything else of actual rarity.
>>
>>3254780
Yes.
>>
>>3256753
avngn is from like, 2003. but yes you're correct
>>
>>3256753
Huh, looking at Shatterhand, it seems to follow the theory.

Before 1st-wave e-celeb fans : $1-5
After 1st-wave, before GG fans : $5-9(unlike SMB/DH, actual low supply so the price didn't fall back after demand was sated)
After GG fans: Went from $10 in 2012 to $50 today, steady rise with no sign of dropping.
>>
File: AVGN popularity over time.png (36KB, 860x507px) Image search: [Google]
AVGN popularity over time.png
36KB, 860x507px
>>3256774
I know he was making videos back then, but the e-celebs didn't really get HUGE until around 2008-2009ish. Here's google trends of AVGN and his earlier title, notice he didn't get really big until right before the first price bump. Nostalgia critic's line looks very similar in dates as well as popularity.
>>
File: vice-tit.gif (6KB, 430x230px) Image search: [Google]
vice-tit.gif
6KB, 430x230px
>>3254843
>Because it's the best action game on the system
Wrong
>>
>>3256775
Teenagers and people in their early twenties are the worst when it comes to stuff like this. There is a thread on a certain forum with a young collector who specifically mentioned wanting a game room like his eceleb heroes and as a result started spree-buying games. About the only good thing is that they're prone to getting bored of things once they're no longer trendy followed by selling off and moving on.
>>
I got this out of a Wal Mart like 22 years ago for 5 bucks
>>
BULLFUCKINGSHIT it used to be around 30-3......

>Checks on jewbay

FUCK ME!! THE CHEAPEST ONE IS AT $68 USD!

>Good thing i got mine years ago from a flea market and rescued another copy for a good friend of mine.
>>
>>3256753
>Darkwing Duck
>pricey before the retro bubble hit.
Pretty sure I got my copy for like $7 a few years back. I didn't even get it from some hole in the wall either, I got it from a store that deals exclusively in selling used games, movies, and music.
>>
>>3257190
Well, outside of the RPGs, those were pretty much the only titles that were over $5 for the longest time.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.