[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which ultima is your favorite? I use to like 7 the most but the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10

File: Screenshot_20160525-001541.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160525-001541.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
Which ultima is your favorite?
I use to like 7 the most but the mindless combat is no challenge on repeat playthrus.

6 is best, especially since Nuvie engine exists
>>
I prefer 6 over 7 as well but I don't think 6 has a large replay value.

My personal favorite is Underworld 2.
>>
File: 1463698575318.png (1MB, 1314x1396px) Image search: [Google]
1463698575318.png
1MB, 1314x1396px
The quest chain of Ultima 7 kind of holds me back a little.

The Master System version of Ultima 4 is maybe the truest console port the series has ever had. Which is nice. Though a true shame about the console versions of the Ultima series is they have superior graphics and gameplay mechanics, yet lack the actual RPG depth.
>>
>>3241705
Ultima 4 will always be my favorite, followed by 5 and 7. Ultima Underworld 1&2 and Martian Dreams are also high on my favorites.
>>
>>3241705
do you think it's possible to mirror all the graphics in the game except the text

I would really like to see what it looks like like that, especially in motion
>>
>>3241825
> superior graphics and gameplay mechanics
I'm not seeing that.
The shame is that 8 never got a SNES or PS1 port. That could have fixed some of the issues with the game.
>>
File: 354255-ultima.jpg (308KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
354255-ultima.jpg
308KB, 1024x768px
>>3241843
oh man this

this doesn't look any better I'm still nauseous
>>
>>3241867
actually I do think I prefer it flipped

I'd play it if it was like this in game
>>
File: 12280106_p0.jpg (547KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
12280106_p0.jpg
547KB, 1000x1000px
3 on the NES
>>
>>3241825
>superior graphics and gameplay mechanics

What are the superior mechanics and missing elements of depth? I've never tried the console versions
>>
I think I enjoy 5 the most. When you reach to 6 it just starts feeling a bit bloated with all the things you can (and need to) do.
>>
I was just thinking about Ultima. From a designed standpoint, I don't think they're the best games, I think a lot of elements are needlessly obtuse, and that it generally lacks strategic depth for an RPG series.

That said, they are just really comfy games to wander around and get lost in.
>>
>>3241705

6 False Prophet is my favorite.

I know I am in the minority. I pretty much love the entire series and grew up playing it.
>>
Underworld 1 and 2 are both amazing games. Definitely some of my favorite FPS dungeon crawlers hands down, very immersive experience
>>
>>3241825
>ultima 7 SNES
the horror
>>
>>3241867

Holy shit, this is terrible. I've never looked at a video game and had it make my eyes feel physically uncomfortable but this does it.

>>3241873

You have fucking brain problems.
>>
>>3241867
this looks god awful
>>
>>3241986
Paladin x Illusionist OTP
>>
File: 354255-ultima.jpg (306KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
354255-ultima.jpg
306KB, 1024x768px
>>3243207
>>3243216
Yes I've often thought that Ultima's oblique perspective was nauseating
>>
>>3243216
>>3243207
You read English text left to right, so it feel natural when you start at the (invisible) ceiling and scan slightly right until you reach the floor, that's why it feels so wrong to have it reversed.
>>
>>3243230
actually the way it is normally, you look from the right, to the left.
>>
I have pretty much no experience with old school PC rpgs, but when I take a glance at them they seem incredibly obtuse and difficult to get into.

Is this correct? Or are they simpler than they appear?
>>
>>3243367
They are both simpler than they appear, and as obtuse as you're imagining.
>>
>>3243367
You need an actual journal.
>>
>>3243407
I prefer
>you need to draw your own maps
to
>you need to keep a detailed journal of imaginary locations and directions and cryptic puzzle poetry

dungeons crawlers a best
>>
>>3243419
>keep a detailed journal

Literally all you have to write down is a list of key words and some hints on where to find treasure. If you're playing 5, you also have Power Words and the whole Sandelwood Box / Stones thing to sort out but it's hardly a hassle. When I was 9 I could remember every mantra for the shrines without any notes
>>
Discovering how things work was my favourite part of 4.

Ultima 4 was my favourite, but I don't think I'll ever recapture that first feeling of playing the game. So perhaps 5 or 6 is my real favourite. 7 is glorious but the combat is a bit shit.
>>
>>3241705
>>
>Tfw too casual to get into Ultima
I've tried, but I just can't do it.
>>
>>3241705
My favorite is the very first one. There's something about how simple it is I just sort of found endearing. The others became too slow and overly-complicated for me past that.
>>
Seeing how it's the only Ultima title I've played, I have to say Runes of Virtue on game boy.
>>
I've only played Underworld 1/2, but I'm seeing a lot of people saying Ultima 4 is the best. How story/lore heavy are the other Ultima games? Can I just jump into 4 or do I need to play the previous ones first.
>>
>>3243525
yeah but what if I don't have autism
>>
>>3243768
4 is the start of notable continuity. From there one the world stays in shape and recurring characters remember you and your actions. It also introduces critical aspects like the virtues and the component based spellcasting.

The later games have some references to 1 and 3 but since those games were extremely basic it's nothing except some names.

That said there it doesn't harm to start with 1. It's really short and simple and can help warm up to some general gameplay aspects.
2 is the black sheep, it tried to do a lot more than 1 and that was more than Richard Garriott could do at the time.
3 is a bit middle of the road between 1, 4 and games like Wizardry. It's the only one where you create a whole party and with a generic fantasy world.
>>
>>3243367
Play Savage Empire. It's a simplified version of Ultima 6 with quest log.
>>
Which is the better game:
Stygian Abyss or Labyrinth of Worlds?

Which is the better game:
Savage Empire or Martian Dreams?
>>
>>3245072
Stygian Abyss > Labyrinth of Worlds
>>
>>3245081
But Labyrinth of Worlds has a larger viewport.
Do both these games have the same framerate?
>>
>>3245098
Play it in Dosbox with a faster enough processor and you can have whatever framerate you want.

>>3245072
>Stygian Abyss or Labyrinth of Worlds?
LoWs. More worlds, more cultures. Less bugs too.

>Savage Empire or Martian Dreams?
Nigger empire. I like blacklives.
>>
>>3245072
>Stygian Abyss or Labyrinth of Worlds?
UW1 is more groundbreaking, UW2 is more polished.
Personally I prefer 2 but it's best as part of the whole series while 1 is more standalone.

>Savage Empire or Martian Dreams?
Apples and oranges basically. MD is a linear adventure that just happens to use the Ultima 6 engine, if anything it's closer to BG and SI.
Both stand out for their settings as well.
>>
File: Ultima_IX_-_Ascension_Coverart.png (201KB, 256x320px) Image search: [Google]
Ultima_IX_-_Ascension_Coverart.png
201KB, 256x320px
>>3241705

Pic related.

Problem?
>>
>>3243780
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>3245138
BG? SI?
>>
>>3245373
Ultima 7: The Black Gate
Ultima 7 Part 2: Serpent Isle
>>
>>3245373
Baldur's Gate

Shivering Isles (Oblivion expansion)
>>
File: fb3.jpg (15KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
fb3.jpg
15KB, 228x221px
>>3245147
>>
>>3245379
Isn't Black Gate more open world and Serpent Isle more linear?

How "adventure" is Martian Dreams? Is it like Secret of Monkey Island or more RPG like Neverwinter Nights?
>>
>>3245418
You can travel through most of the world in BG but the quest is linear.

MD has some stats and there are a few filler fights along the way but for most part you just use items or talk with people to advance.
>>
File: ultima_iii_-_exodus_02.png (3KB, 320x256px) Image search: [Google]
ultima_iii_-_exodus_02.png
3KB, 320x256px
U3
>>
>>3242751
There was also a Super Famicom port for Savage Empire.
>>
>>3245393
Ascension is honestly my favorite too.... no bait
>>
>>3251761
It's playable or it's UltimaVII quality?
>>
>>3254127
It's similar to Ultima 7. It's also in Japanese.
>>
What is the best version of each title in the Ultima series?

I know GOG offers the MS-DOS versions, but aren't these Ultima ports considered inferior to other systems at the time like the Apple II and C64? Plus, there are all these fan remakes to consider too.

Anybody have a list for the superior version for each game?
>>
>>3254575
There's a patch collection that adds all the stuff missing from the original IBM versions like sound as well as offering more colorful graphics.
http://www.pixsoriginadventures.co.uk/category/ultima-patcher/
For the fan remakes xu4 and nuvie are particularly recommendable since their saves are compatible with the IBM version so you can alternate with DOSbox should anything happen.
Exult and Pentagram have advantages but they're not perfect.

For other platforms the FM Towns can be considered for 1 and 2. For 6 it offers voice acting that also works with nuvie now.
The SMS port of Ultima 4 is an example of how console ports should have been made.
>>
>>3254575
Given that I-V was developed on Apple II computers, VI-VIII were DOS, and IX was Windows, those.
>>
>>3254623
Would you also play the BASIC version of 1 instead of the assembler remake just because it was the original release?
Or play the later games in their buggy and broken release states?
>>
>>3251767
I literally can't imagine anybody liking Ascension unless it was their first and only Ultima game.

Nostalgia can do a lot for a game, even if it is shitty.
>>
>>3254612
Last time I used the Ultima Patcher with my GOG copies, most of them crashed on startup. Dunno if that's common or I just royally fucked up along the way.
>>
File: Ultima-IX-Beautiful-Britannia9.jpg (49KB, 568x455px) Image search: [Google]
Ultima-IX-Beautiful-Britannia9.jpg
49KB, 568x455px
>>3245147
i really liked that game as well

building ladders out of random items from inventory to climb over mountain or break puzzles in dungeon

I remember reading some article in game mag that there even was announced "you throw barrel in river and it will float by current"
>>
File: expand.jpg (60KB, 680x782px) Image search: [Google]
expand.jpg
60KB, 680x782px
Which Ultima should I start with? I want to start with the series, but I don;t know where to start with regards to the story.
>>
>>3260038
>but I don;t know where to start with regards to the story.
I to III basically gets heavily retconned in future game so IV I suppose.
>>
>>3260038
The story starts with 4 but you may es well try to start with 1 or 3.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.