[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Final Fantasy 6 worth playing on the PS1? I really don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

Is Final Fantasy 6 worth playing on the PS1? I really don't want to shell out the money for a copy on the SNES for a game that I may or may not enjoy.

It's my first time playing Final Fantasy 6, and I was just wondering.
>>
http://pastebin.com/8aqKfzNG
>>
Yes it is fine. It is the same game, but with some load times and awkwardly shoehorned PS1 era CGI cutscenes. In any case, I don't really see what one would be missing exactly by playing this version.
>>
>>3241520
The only problem with these PSX ports of SNES games is the load times, which can be very annoying if you combine them with random battles. I would reccomend the SNES or patched GBA version in FFVI's case, but if you wouldn't mind load times the PSX version is a competent port.
>>
Aside from shitty load times the snes sound effects sound muffled on the psx version.
>>
>>3241620
>Aside from shitty load times
This kills the game
>>
>>3241526
>http://pastebin.com/8aqKfzNG
That shit is so out of date. Also objectively wrong in areas.
>>
File: 1-001.png (20KB, 480x446px) Image search: [Google]
1-001.png
20KB, 480x446px
>>3241573
FFV psx's localization is also notoriously awful. GBA version localization meanwhile is a fan-favorite.
>>
>Is Final Fantasy 6 worth playing on the PS1?

NO.
FUCK. NO.

Some of these responses are surprising, and I can only assume are coming from people who have never tried to play the PS1 version. If you had, there is no way you would downplay the loading times. The long loading times (think EVERY SINGLE RANDOM BATTLE) make this game unplayable. Forget it.

If you really want to try it out before buying a copy for the SNES, try the GBA port
>>
>>3241710

It's just retards that never actually played it on hardware. Same crowd that defends the PSX port of Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>3241526
Are you the half tard that wrote that? You'd have to be to unironically post it.
>>
>>3241520
It's not that bad. They fix some minor errors from the SNES version and they added a bestiary. The load times make it difficult to enjoy with the constant random battles but its still a great game regardless of version. Personally I prefer the Woolsey Uncensored patch on the SNES version myself.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386/
>>
>>3241716
Except Chrono Trigger on PS1 is good.
>>
>>3241520
It's worth playing because it's a good game, but it's literally the worst way to play it. If you don't want to pay for the cart, just emulate it.

It's not as if buying an ancient copy of the PS1 port will support Square in any way.
>>
>>3242620
Is that supposed to be a joke? There's load times on EVERYTHING. Go into a battle? Load time. Open the menu? Load time. That port is a joke.
>>
its pretty bad

you are better off getting jap to english patches (with bugfix) than any official version desu.
>>
>>3242620

You've either got nostalgia goggles on or you haven't played it. The load times are incredible.
>>
>>3242659
This. I got that port just to play CT because I missed it in the SNES days and carts were expensive and hard to find. I found the load times made it completely unplayable. Got maybe an hour in and couldn't stand it anymore. Thankfully the DS port was great when it came along so I finally got to play it.
>>
>>3242640
>>3242659
>>3242663
All lies.
Kill yourself, it runs fine off PSN.
>>
>>3242719
psn isn't the same as ps1 on disk is it.
>>
>>3242725
It is.
I forget this board is too autistic to wait 7 seconds for a fucking screen to load.
>>
>>3242719
>Kill yourself

This is what the edgy try hard children of /vr/ think is cool. If you actually bothered read what I wrote, I was talking about the physical release which is what OP is also asking about.

Next time read (get your mom to help if the words are too big) before you make yourself look like a retard.
>>
>>3242737
>I forget this board is too autistic to wait 7 seconds for a fucking screen to load.

Wouldn't autism be not noticing that the game freezes to load constantly and then insisting it's no different from versions where that doesn't happen?
>>
>>3241520
>not Woolsey Uncensored
Not worth playing tbhfamilia
>>
File: 1463818362337.gif (4MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1463818362337.gif
4MB, 320x320px
>>3241526

>hating on the FF4 PSP port's looks

seriously? Fuck off that shit is great and the exact treatment 5 and 6 should have gotten. Stop posting this outdated and shitty paste bin.
>>
>>3241520
Just watch the FMVs on jewtube, and play the original SNES game with patches. No to GBA because it's NOT RETRO >>>/v/
>>
>>3245105
No, play the PS1 version. Fuck you and fuck your overpriced SNES garbage.
>>
>>3241671
Yeah, at this point is is pretty out of date. Especially the link in there, the sound restoration has been FAR improved recently.

Hilariously that list was compiled directly from a shitpost topic, meaning you shouldn't trust /vr/ with these things and should just look at all the options.
>>
>>3245124
>paying for Relocalization Project or Woolsey Uncensored
Man did that scalper see you coming.
>>
Just play 7, 8 or tactics if you only got psx. Fuck 9 tho
Actually my nigga u should play star ocean 2nd story but that one mite be pricey
>>
>>3245156
I was in on that thread, it went through a lot of revisions even though it looks like shit.

Basically what anon was doing was condensing all the whining into one pastebin to shut up the rash of shitposting at the time over "which version is the best version of _" threads. It wasn't supposed to be pretty or good.

They went away eventually for the most part, which means they were most likely just /v/'s argument box at the time.
>>
>>3245168
whoops, meant to quote >>3241526

We still tend to go on about VI nowadays though, because of a combination of nostalgia goggles and Squeenix fucking up so much on revising VI in particular.
>>
>>3245124
>Shilling reseller
I emulate, jew. NWO will never jew me! NEVER!
>>
>>3241710
>>3241716
Both ports were decent when I played them on PS1 before I had the SNES versions to compare with.

Afterwards, though, yeah they're pretty bad and even newer hardware with fast loading is still pretty bad. I remember falling asleep waiting for the PS1 ver. of ff4 to save because it took so long.
>>
>>3245330
I think I was also more tolerant of load times when I was younger because I'm pretty sure the ps1 version of CT took like a minute to load the final boss on my PSone.

Yeah, basically, don't bother with the ps1 ports.
>>
>>3245348
They're fine though.
>>
The load times can be pretty bad, but it never gets to Chrono Trigger levels and if you've played any PS1 RPG you should have a pretty good idea of what to expect.
>>
I downloaded FFV and burned a copy last night because of this thread. There is a definite pause for loading... But it's just that. A pause. It's nowhere near as bad as anyone is making it out to be. It's not like a loading bar comes up.
>>
>>3245496
I fucking told you, the load times are not eveb intrusive.
This board has a hate boner for these versions for some asinine reason.
>>
>>3245105
>go watch youtube, a site founded in 2005
>you should use patches from 2004+
>GBA is from 2001?!?! NOT RETRO WAAHH

yes, i know the (american) GBA remake is from 2007. youre still a faggot though
>>
>>3241526
Going to post the /ffg/'s version of this, feels more informative.
http://pastebin.com/nDC7j5bn
>>
>>3245505
>I fucking told you, the load times are not eveb intrusive.
It's noticeably obtrusive compared to other versions of the game.
>>
>>3245505
How is it asinine to want to play a game without noticeable load times
>>
>>3241671
>>3241838
didn't write it, just don't nkow about the subject matter and thought it would be a good place to start. it's certainly better to have a pastebin than "which version of {x} should I play?" every week, but I'm glad a more accurate version was posted by someone else.
>>
>>3242737
>I forget this board is too autistic to wait 7 seconds for a fucking screen to load.
To be fair, JRPGs are boring as shit as it is. Loading times just compound the issue.
>>
>>3245664
Because load times aren't a problem unless you're an autist.
>>
>>3245778
So basically you recommend going with the slower version of the game for no other reason than the fact that you think the people you disagree with are "autistic"

ok
>>
>>3241520
Honestly the load times are bad, it's not just a snobby thing. The audio is botched too, which is pretty unforgivable when it has one of the best soundtracks ever
>>
Just play the GBA version with the color restoration and new sound patch. The FMVs are trash and the GBA version has the extras from the PS1 version and more. Seriously, WHY recommend the PS1 version?

Unless you're talking about strictly playing it on real hardware and won't be able to patch it, then get the PS1 version since it's cheaper. Just be aware of what you're getting yourself into.
>>
>>3245553
>FF1
>Google Play (Android): iOS Base, "Soul of Rebirth" removed, Bonus Dungeons removed

Why would you do this Square? They never put them back in either, just gave it a shittier D-Pad in updates.
>>
File: 15-capture_09082011_194816.jpg (18KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
15-capture_09082011_194816.jpg
18KB, 512x448px
SNES version no question
>>
>>3245831
The PS1 is the definitive version though. It was even patched to remove the load times.
Get fucked nignog.
>>
>>3245878
>Patched
????????
>>
>>3246013
If I had to guess, I'd assume he means the PSN versions.
>>
PS1 Final Fantasy games and their load times are as follows:

FF4 on PS1: Load times
FF4 disc on PS2/3: Negligible load times
FF4 PSN: Virtually non-existent load times

FF5 on PS1: Load times
FF5 disc on PS2/3: Slight load times
FF5 PSN: Virtually non-existent load times

FF6 on PS1: Looaad tiimmees
FF6 on PS2/3: Slight load times
FF6 on PSN: Load times

BONUS

Chrono Trigger on PS1: Looaad tiimmees
Chrono Trigger on PS2/3: Load times
Chrono Trigger on PSN: wew lad

tl;dr There's no getting around load times for FF6, unlike every other FF game on PS1.
>>
>>3241520
Ifyou can enjoy a game that has short loading times, then es, it's worth it.

If you're like 88.999% of posters here, are literally retarded and cant enjoy anything less than playing it on an SNES or something 10,000,000% EXACTLY like playing it on an SNES, then don't fucking bother. I read enough moronic angry shitposts as it is...
>>
>>3246019
But the PSN version aren't patched.
>>
>>3246067
FF6 doesn't have that bad load times on PSN. The only game that's truly affected is Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>3245414
Is this some kind of long game trolling? Someone in this thread keeps trying to insist that the load times aren't a problem when they obviously are and there are so many better ways to play the game.

Are you just trying to make people waste their money on bad ports for shits and giggles? Otherwise I can only imagine you're legitimately retarded. Only someone who is literally slow would not have a problem with the horrible load issues.
>>
>>3245505
>>3245496
Also, it's bizarre that on the same forum where people will go apeshit over milisecond input lag with non-CRT displays will then try and tell you that constant load times are not an issue.

Fuck I miss the old /vr/
>>
>>3246120
It's pretty fucking bad, mang. I have the PS1 disc and the PSN copy on Vita and they're not too far apart. It's still at least 1 second on PSN to just open the menu.

I think the load times are actually programmed into the code.
>>
>>3241520
If you are emulating this then I say SNES. Preferably with Woolsey Uncensored or Relocalized.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.