[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come dungeon crawlers, a genre born in the west and so immensely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: bc.jpg (98KB, 720x568px) Image search: [Google]
bc.jpg
98KB, 720x568px
How come dungeon crawlers, a genre born in the west and so immensely popular in the 80s and early 90s fell into obscurity and is basically dead nowadays while it thrives in Japan of all places? It just boggles my mind how one of the forefathers of the genre, Wizardry, is a Japanese property now.
>>
>>3240720
They evolved into things like Elder Scrolls. Japan likes clinging to the past when it comes to video games.
>>
>>3240771
I kinda wish Square would cling to the past in ways beyond ps1 era fanservice.

I much prefer the their older turn based games to how they're trying to make their new FFs Kingdom Hearts style ARPGs.
>>
>>3240813
>I much prefer the their older turn based games
Then turn your sights to handhelds
>>
>>3240720
Well: Grimrock, Might & Magic, Grimoire (coming soon!)...

It's actually amazing that so many are still made anywhere. It's the most resilient of video game genres.

>>3240771
That's a little simplistic...
>>
>>3240720
There are a few games here and there on steam made by new developers (not grimrock) but since gaming is so mainstream nowadays dungeon crawlers aren't what publishers push.

It used to be the main audience using computers in the 80s/90s were dnd grognard types so games for that audience were more widely made.
>>
>>3240720
>It just boggles my mind how one of the forefathers of the genre, Wizardry, is a Japanese property now.
Good. Japan is good at keeping that legacy alive.
>a genre born in the west and so immensely popular in the 80s and early 90s fell into obscurity and is basically dead nowadays
It mostly died with the Amiga, and got replaced by FPS games and first person RPGs like Ultima Underworld and System Shock.

>>3240821
>Grimoire (coming soon*†‡¶)
lmao
>>
>>3240820
I do, still having a big FF game be turn based would be nice.
>>
>>3240841
Why though? FF never had a continuity. You can pick up a random Dragon Quest game and pretend it's a FF game and it'll have about as much in common with say FF3 than FFXIII, or FFXV ever will (if not more).
>>
>>3240847
I mean sure they didn't have continuity exactly but they usually had a design style. Even early on FF games and DQ games are different enough that there are fans of either series.
>>
>>3240860
Even the design style wasn't really very consistent with project leads frequently swapping and with Nomura at the helm the series is more of an avantgarde fashion show first and a JRPG series second. Early FFs and DQs had plenty in common and the fans are mostly mutual.
>>
>>3240869
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Even after trying the first three games I could never get into DQ except for the DQM series.

I really believe that even without a title I could tell if a game was a DQ or FF game (if there was some way to erase Toriyama's style).
>>
>>3240881
>I really believe that even without a title I could tell if a game was a DQ or FF game
Obviously, since they have different recurring spell and enemy names and stuff.
Personally I don't care about either series very much except for DQ3 SNES and FF5, so I guess try that one.
>>
>>3240841
It's called Bravely Default.
>>
>>3240886
I liked the beginning but after that one time thing it got bland.
>>
>>3240886
>>3240893
Although you are right it is pretty much a continuation of the older style of FF games which I am happy about.
>>
>>3240893
In that case, 4 Heroes of Light.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.