[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Riddle me this /retro/, Why are retro games so expensive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: hqdefault (1).jpg (51KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
51KB, 480x360px
Riddle me this /retro/,

Why are retro games so expensive?

All the Japanese versions of the same game are super cheap. I speak French and often buy the French versions because they are much cheaper. Why are the English versions games so expensive?

I'm beginning to think it would be economical to learn Japanese at this point.
>>
Not as many coalitionist collectors want NTSC J games.

Most games are the same prices. At least the good games. For example Legend of Zelda on NES and the famicom rerelease are the same price.
>>
Because the majority of the world can read english, but not japanese, and because PAL sucks.

Learning japanese is a good idea, but unless you become super serious with it, don't expect to start playing japanese adventure game in a few years.
>>
Rising demand, finite supply.
>>
>>3238349
>E-Celeb Cancer

THERE, YOU ANSWERED YOURSELF!
>>
>Why don't people want games they can't understand?

It is a mystery.
>>
>>3238349
Hoarders are buying old school games and artificially driving up the prices.
>>
>>3238360
Yeah I get that mate, I mean why arn't Japanese people buying up their old games? Is it just smaller houses and nowhere to store them?
>>
Why haven't you learned Japanese already, 先輩たち?
>>
>>3238375

Japanese gaming culture is completely different. They don't hoard shit, they buy a game, play it, and then sell it back into circulation.
>>
>>3238380
Really? They don't keep the carts on a shelf? Why not?
>>
What gets me is on ebay I watch hundreds of games with a high starting price and constantly relisted, buy it nows that never sell. People in the West have too much money they can sit on this shit.
>>
>>3238378
Its pretty hard to memorize a million fucking squiggles.
>>
File: 1461722731560.jpg (400KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1461722731560.jpg
400KB, 640x480px
I was going to make thread but maybe you guys can help.

I am selling a load of NEO GEO and NES carts. These are all complete w/box/manuals cause my mummy made me take care of my things.

The price-list on neogeo dot seems out of date and I don't want to register to view the trading post.

I'm not interested in gouging people, It's a shame some titles are $500.

Ebay doesnt seem like a good barometer of what's "fair".

Any suggestions?
>>
>>3238442
They usually don't have the room
>>
>tfw know enough Japanese to get by in almost any game that isn't an RPG

Glad I wasted 3 years as a Japanese major at community college before bailing on it
>>
>>3238349
There are very few people that actually are real collectors and the rest are just riding the money train knowing that e-celeb bullshit will make few normies take the bait and pay a nice sum for some shitty little game.
>>
>>3238349
>I'm beginning to think it would be economical to learn Japanese at this point.

Enjoy watching those games rise towards high prices.
>>
>>3238349
Millennials can't into moon.
One of the main reasons I learned Japanese was gaming. DooWeet. For me it lead to a job with a Japanese company and then China. I'm not even close to fluent. I can just read the shit because I learned it to play games.
>>
Japanese people live in closets so it's harder to hoard and collect there. Americans have homes the size of 50 trailers so they can fit their fat bodies inside and they buy every piece of shit they can.
>>
>>3238501
Make it a big lot sale and sell it for cheaper than it would cost all together. You would get money quickly from a reseller that will pick the games out and make himself a profit as well. If you're not so concerned about making maximum amount of shekels this is a good idea to do. If you just pick out all the really expensive games and sold them individually and have a weak ass lot then you might sit on it for a long time.
>>
>>3238349
Japan is like the world's video game capital, so it only makes sense that they'd have loads more copies of popular games for sale. They probably won't be cheap for much longer, though, since the internet has become oversaturated with retro gaming review geeks.
>>
>>3238442
Have no clue if it still is but part of it was because renting games was illegal back then so you had more people buying and selling games back right after they finished it. In America on the other hand we were filled to the brim with rental shops until around 2008 so most people would keep what they liked and rent everything else.
>>
File: 0911.jpg (25KB, 400x344px) Image search: [Google]
0911.jpg
25KB, 400x344px
>>3241378
You're god damn right, anon.
>>
>>3238501
Damn this picture is so hot it should be illegal
>>
>>3238349
COCK GOES WHERE?
>>
>>3241509

It's still illegal to rent games in Japan. Don't know why because you can rent everything else you can think of. I went to a Geo (video rental in Japan) and rented some DVDs for 100 yen for a week. It even says レンタル専用 (rental only) on it, with a price tag of 8000¥. So obviously they worked out a deal between DVD publishers and rental stores.
>>
>>3238352
>Japan
>PAL
>>
>>3241402
Why would a game produce more Japanese copies when the English population outnumbers the Japs? We beat them in basically every hardware and software sells. They just limit release copies for games that don't interest the west. Japanese copies should be higher in prices but Japan doesn't collect like the westerners. The west just wants to turn a profit from reselling.
>>
I sold my super nintendo collection to get a super famicom one and I actually made profit even after replacing my games. Super famicom is so easy to get boxed too.
>>
I think learning another language is a complete waste of time. It's like a superstition.
>>
>>3243651
Well, if you already know English (the only language that actually matters). Otherwise get off your ass and learn English asap.
>>
>>3243636
I don't think he ever implied that they were the same.
>>
>Japan versions look cooler, are often better (at least for speedrunning/VRC6), are still NTSC and are cheaper

I am completely fine with this.
>>
>>3238349
Actually understanding/learning japanese beyond basic hiragana is like a 10 year proposition. Learning and fully memorizing the 2,000 common Kanji and understanding the meaning and context just for video games would take like 10 years. That's pretty much daily study/memorization.
>>
whatever happened, it happened between 2006-2008

prior to that time, old games were considered trash. you could find boxes of them at flea markets for mere dollars, and many games stores refused to carry them

somewhere along the way prices rose, and every motherfucker turns to ebay to find the top buy-it-now price and act like that's the end-all-be-all. doesnt matter if it sells at that price, some dumbfuck will pay it eventually
>>
>>3243842
You literally have no idea what you're talking about

I was playing Final Fantasy within 6 months of starting, and it wasn't even difficult, just slow. Within a year I was doing it comfortably at a decent pace.

Don't confuse native fluency, with reading video game text, because they are worlds apart.

10 years to learn 2000 measly fucking characters... Maybe if you have downs syndrome.

PS: You need way more than 2000 to be comfortable reading.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.