[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you avoid green label PS1 games, /vr/? Personally I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

File: s-l300.jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
24KB, 300x225px
Do you avoid green label PS1 games, /vr/?

Personally I don't care. If the black label is the same price as the green label I'll go with the black, but if the green label's cheaper I'll go with that.
>>
i'm getting to a point where i might not even take the fucking gamestop/compusa/whatever sticker is on a game off anymore. just fucks it all up and i never had goo gone work right. it's like gamestop executives were one day discussing how they should put price tags on their video games and they just went JUST FUCK IT ALL UP SENPAI
>>
>>3225858
Same here, and I'm in good with my local gaming store. If they have multiple black labels for a certain game and I come in with my green label, they'll swap out the inserts.
>>
>>3225858
my gamestop has stickers on the fucking box art.
like they took the paper out of the case, stuck it on and made it unremovable
>>
>>3225860
>>3226067

Here's a tip. Stop fucking going to gamestop and support your local gaming stores, like Topps Trade, etc. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, you should be able to find a decent gamestore and they won't litter the cases with this shit.
>>
greatest hits so ugly though. i dont mind the outside so much, it's the changed disc cover on the inside that is annoying. all that colorful artwork gone for that silver and black text.
>>
>>3225861
You know the discs are different too, right?
>>
>TFW Greatest Hits versions are more rare than black label versions

>Also much cheaper because dumbasses
>>
>>3226172
This guy gets it. Only idiots and autismos value the black labels above the green.

>>3226090
Here's a better tip: support whoever has the lowest prices. Local shops will charge based on the free market demand, Gamestop (typically) charges a fraction of MSRP. Why would anyone pay more to have a easier to remove sticker on a case when solvents like Goo Gone exist?
>>
>>3226190

Honestly, the gamestore I go to has topknotch prices, I don't know what the hell you're talking about. If gamestop even happens to have a rare/retro game I want, they jack the prices up like mad. I would call you a shill, but I'm not gonna.
>>
>>3226192
Did you even read what I wrote? I'll reiterate: support whoever has the lowest prices. If that's your local mom & pop store, than fuck Gamestop. If that's Gamestop, than fuck the small local store.

>I would call you a shill, but I'm not gonna.
Woah dude, that's meta. I applaud your clever use of linguistics.
>>
>>3226209

Alright, I'll admit I misread your post. Gimme a break, I just woke up.
>>
>>3225858
Yes the plastic wrapping the games are shipped with are way more important than the games themselves.
>>
>>3226172
Not only are they rarer, the games themselves get tweaked and often have bugfixes and crash less than the black label versions.
>>
>>3226090
Really? I live in Belgium and the only game stores that exist here (that also sell second-hand games) are the Game Manias, essentially our version of Gamestop.

It's funny, our Fnac also offers second-hand games (for modern games, PS3/PS4 era) but they still cost full price. It's like, why would I pay fifty euros for something someone already touched with their greasy hands?
>>
>>3226282
>fifty euros

God DAMN is that a normal everyday price for video games, Belg-anon?

Everyone loves your waffles, also.
>>
>>3226317
I pirate their waffles by making my own.
>>
>>3226098
Different companies handled the disc art of GH titles in different ways. Squaresoft of course made everything basically grayscale, but I have other games where all they did was, say, change the background color, or change the PLAYSTATION text in some way.
>>
>>3226067
My GameStop doesn't even sell PS1 games. In fact, they're likely in the process of phasing out PS3 and 360 games over the course of the next few years.
>>
>>3226317
A new current-gen game costs 50-60 euros yeah. That's why I only buy games from the previous gen. Portable games go for 40-45.
>>
i don't really care,
that being said, my Chrono Cross is BLACK LABEL
OOOOOOO
>>
File: B4q_6I7IMAAkUZN.jpg (52KB, 600x555px) Image search: [Google]
B4q_6I7IMAAkUZN.jpg
52KB, 600x555px
I got for green labels, because I know it's cheaper, technically rarer, and will have any bugfixes if the game needed them.
>>
>>3225860
How have you never had goo gone work right? Just let it soak in for a couple of minutes.
>>
File: pumpdance3.gif (516KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
pumpdance3.gif
516KB, 320x240px
I see absolutely no reason why you would want to avoid the green labels unless you are OCD and need everything to be uniform.
>>
>>3226479
This. I don't care what labels they are. I just like to play a VIDEO-GAME. Its not like you're going to fetch a million dollars for a black label. And I don't care if the art on the cd is different.
>>
I just burn CD-Rs
>>
What I want to know is, why the hell did Sony make such intrusive alternate label art in the first place?

I'm sure at least 50% of Greatest Hits autism would be gone if they hadn't put that weird green bar on the end labels that makes them stick out from the non-GH titles. Worse, they still do that shit to this day.
>>
>>3226529

I just got pic related for free
>>
>>3226357
And I thought having to pay $70CDN instead of $60 was a rip.
>>
>>3226538
>FAVORITOS

Holy shit anon, thank you for giving me a much needed chuckle.

That said, that gold trim is classy as fuck compared to the red.
>>
File: 1458203630565s.jpg (3KB, 93x125px) Image search: [Google]
1458203630565s.jpg
3KB, 93x125px
>finding a black label FF Tactics for $10
>it has the GH disk instead
>>
>>3226067
>>3226090
>not supporting other gamers buy buying and selling used games directly from each other online
>arguing over which Jew is best Jew that buys used games from mothers and grandparents clearing out their dead children's rooms for 25 cents a disk and 5 cents a cart so they can resell then for hundreds of times markup to the autists that still shop there

Good goys.
>>
>>3226618
I tried to trade with this collector guy, but he couldnt let go of any of his
>priceless games
>>
>>3226529
I think the point was for them to stick out at the stores. Game companies didn't make their products to be collected.
>>
The funny thing about the GH releases is that they are actually BETTER than the black labels because they often have bug fixes, improvements, and enhancements.

I ALWAYS go for the GH versions if I have a choice. They might look uglier, but I don't care because I plan on playing the game, not staring at the cover all day long.
>>
>>3226709
Then what's with all the collector's editions?
>>
File: 611B7GBB57L.jpg (67KB, 497x500px) Image search: [Google]
611B7GBB57L.jpg
67KB, 497x500px
>>3225858
Here in Europe we had the Platinum label for PS1 (and then PS2) games instead. It doesn't look as "intrusive" as the GH green label.
>>
File: mv8jXlUvug_ghnuf6LiG1xw.jpg (10KB, 225x200px) Image search: [Google]
mv8jXlUvug_ghnuf6LiG1xw.jpg
10KB, 225x200px
>>3226730
The discs looked like this tho.
>>
>>3226590

It also comes with a full color manual.
I also got a "FAVORITOS" version of Valkyria Chronicles, but sadly that one doesn't come with any booklet.
>>
>>3226736
MAN I SURE COULD GO FOR A BAG OF FAVORITOS!
>>
>>3226734
Some discs looked pretty much the same in the US. It was either silver with no artwork, or a monochrome version of the original disc art.
>>
>>3226529
Short answer for everything stupid: some marketing jackass thought it was a good idea
>>
File: IMG_0041.jpg (76KB, 797x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0041.jpg
76KB, 797x500px
>>3226067
Behold, my copy of Wild Arms 5 which I purchased new at Gamestop. Not only did they have a front sticker - which as you see I fucked up in attempting to remove - but there also THREE layers of stickers on the side which are also reinforced by scotch tape. Since that's a cardboard outer box, I don't dare even attempt to remove that shit.
>>
>>3226479
I never worry about that with my collections just seems autistic.
>>
>>3225860
Use peanut butter. The oil works better than goo gone and the butter part acts as a mild abrasive.
>>
>>3226881
What if you're allergic?
>>
>>3226885
Don't eat your cases then.
>>
>>3226719
I understand the best example of that is Gran Turismo 2, where the black label version has been known to just out-right crash frequently, while the GH version fixes that.
>>
File: Billcosby.png (278KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Billcosby.png
278KB, 720x540px
>>3226934
>>
File: IMG_20160519_203134171_HDR.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160519_203134171_HDR.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>3226618
>not buying from secondhand stores to help the disadvantaged
>pic related
>>
>>3225858
Considering its the exact same fucking game, I don't give a shit.
>>
>>3226090
There isn't local gaming stores here numnuts. Only pawn shops and gamestop. inb4 you make some wise crack about not living in a populated place. City has 100k citizens with a large metropolitan population.
>>3226339
yeah, gamestops here phased out ps1/snes/nes era ages ago. ps2 was out the door quite a while ago as well. must of been about 5 years now since ps2 was kicked out of the store. they are bargain binning all the ps3 and 360 games and try to pressure you badly to trade in your console for ps4 and xbone. I had some autistic clerk trying to play fight me for refusing to want to trade in my ps3.. kept telling me how playstation live was a good deal cause you get free games.
>>3226458
I do and it just doesn't work as intended.
>>3226881
I just don't care anymore. It's not like it takes away the game experience if a sticker is on the box.
>>
>>3226172

Not only are they rarer but because they were physically made at a later date they'll last a few more years before the disc rot sets in. I often try to buy the greatest hits versions of games
>>
>>3227726
I never heard of a CD rotting. Is there some evidence showing early CDs already rotting?
>>
>>3227731

It won't happen for several more decades, but when the time comes it'll matter. I'm in it for the long run here.
>>
>>3227726

dude I don't think a 3-5 year gap makes any difference when it comes to disc rot.
>>
>>3227747

It will make a difference of 3-5 years.
>>
>>3227726
Or you know, they'll last longer than you'll be alive because disc rot is a myth misattributed to shitty production. If it were going to affect a major company's discs it would have happened years ago.
>>
>>3227743
By then emulation will be even better. Personally I wish consoles went back to solid state options for games. Would make for faster load and install times..
>>
I don't care anymore. North American game packaging is almost universally worse in design than Japanese box art and manual design. IF I were to care, it would be about that. But I don't.
>>
>>3227758

No, there's no set date for disc rot to kick in, a disc made in 1997 could get it before one made in 1993.
>>
It's not what I LOOK for but I won't pass em up if Im stuck
>>
>>3226529
They had it perfect with the PS2 in red, the colors didn't totally fuck with the cover art aesthetics and it didn't look like a cheap POS on shelves the way the post-2010 PS3 red cases do.
>>
>>3225858
Usually the green sticker also denotes a different and/or updated version of the game.
>>
>>3228762
Such as: Jet Moto 2: Championship Edition
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.