[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did Americans do in between the time Atari crashed their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

File: europe-america.png (1MB, 1543x1507px) Image search: [Google]
europe-america.png
1MB, 1543x1507px
What did Americans do in between the time Atari crashed their industry and then Nintendo saved them from it?
>>
>australia-kun is back
>>
oh look another nintendrone thread
dude mario lmao
>>
>>3225818

There was this place called an arcade.
>>
If you mean mid-1983 to early 86, it was only about 2-1/2 years.

>>3225920
Arcades were dead, dude. They called it the video game crash for a reason

Anyway, computer sales crashed and burned, loads of companies went under or started making IBM compatibles instead. Arcadey types of games vanished from home computers and only the more traditional genres like adventure games and CRPGs survived.

As for consoles, they were dead or just about so. Coleco and Mattel pulled out of the market and retired their consoles in 1984, the Atari 5200 was killed off, the Atari 7800 was delayed two years from its intended release, the Atari 2600 kept on trucking despite minimal sales, almost no new games, and production being outsourced to Taiwan to cut costs.
>>
Amigar is the best computah, why can't you dumb yanks realise this obvious fact?
>>
>>3225965
We should know. After all, it was designed by an American (Jay Miner). ;)
>>
>>3225969
Shame the same can't be said for its videogames, Europe took the hardware you Amerifats ignored and made some of the best games of all time for it.
>>
>>3225969
And like all great Americans he didn't get any recognition and had to earn his fame abroad. Tragic.
>>
>>3225971
>shitty clones of console games
Nah, fuck that. And yet you still see nostalgic twats online who post on Youtube videos of mediocre shovelware like Superfrog and "Aiiiyyy, best game evr. Cheers." given that they were like 10 years old back then.
>>
All Microprose and Origin Amiga conversions were better than any of the crap Yurop pulled from their butts.
>>
>>3225978
We did have Microprose games here though. You didn't know that the Gollop brothers worshiped Microprose and went to them when they developed Enemy Unknown?
>>
>>3225971
>Europe took the hardware you Amerifats ignored and made some of the best games of all time for it

Those games were...?

If I go down the list, nearly all worthwhile Amiga games were developed in the US by Microprose, Origin, Electronic Arts, Accolade, etc, etc.
>>
>>3225984
Don't take the b8, m8. He's going to post a bunch of nostalgia rubbish from his childhood even though those games probably are objectively terrible.
>>
Mmmmmmuh Turrican.

It seems to me that Yuropoors were excellent at the audiovisual side of game development, but when it came to level design and programming, they couldn't cut it.
>>
>>3225989
Since you mention Turrican, actually Manfred Trentz was an excellent programmer respected by almost everyone in the gaming community. Unfortunately as you said, he couldn't design levels for shit.
>>
I heard that they sold less than 1 million Amigas in North America. What the fuck were you Burgers doing back then?
>>
>>3225994
Amiga was a niche platform for PC gamers mostly. The hardcore gaming crowd worshiped them, but it wasn't close to the mainstream everyman computer it was in Europe.
>>
>>3225952
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvwbKfS44Fo

please never stop posting
>>
I think Jay Miner had already earned his fame at home with Atari desu.
>>
>>3226013
>>>/reddit/
>>
Commodore always put a high emphasis on European sales since the PET desu.
>>
>>3226018
Yeh they kept on trying for business models of the PET, but nobody in America wanted them.

>used BASIC as an OS
>not CP/M compatible
>business models of the PET still only had 32k of RAM
>>
>>3226019
How about the PET version of Visicalc? That was sure a fail idea. They insisted on writing all their own custom disk access routines rather than use the BASIC/kernel ones b/c copy protection purposes, which is the same thing they did on the Apple II...except the PET only had 32k of RAM not 48k so the end result was to gobble up most of the memory in the computer and leave only a tiny amount for the worksheet.
>>
>>3226016
I was complimenting him, why don't you fuck off instead?
>>
>>3226018
>>3226019
They also achieved some success in Japan with the VIC-20, aka VIC-1001.
>>
>>3226019
After the failed B-series machines, Commodore just switched to IBM compatibles for the business market instead, although Americans never saw those.
>>
>mfw Yuropoors still had Amigas with 800k floppies and no hard disk in the early 90s when we had 486 PCs near me
>>
>>3225989
I watched a video of Turrican and it's not even in the same league as Mega Man for playability, level design, sound, or interesting, memorable enemies.
>>
>Yuropoors get shown proofs
>scream "it doesn't count!"
the thread
>>
>American Amiga games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R37y0tIvms

*yawn*

>European Amiga games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj2xpPAA4ds

Is there any comparison with your boring af simulation rubbish?
>>
>>3225818
I lived through that. THere was still a ton of Atari/Coleco/Intellivision to be had from garage sales and the like. I remember buying some Atari carts at Big Lots and other closeout stores. Really, since there wasn't a lot going on for gaming coverage back then, we barely noticed it. Eventually the NES showed up in the Sears Christmas Wish Book, and Kids that were obsessed with games started begging for one. Really, it wasn't until Nintendo Power came out that most kids had any access at all to gaming coverage. And then it wasn't until later with Electronic Gaming Monthly, Gamepro, and eventually Next Gen that we got any coverage that wasn't from NOA.
>>
>>3226000
Pretty much this. Most of us were using PCs by then, and spending our time playing BBS doors, or downloading low resolution bikini model pics from other BBSs.
>>
I like how people who didnt live through it assumes all video games everywhere just vanished.

We just bought cheap clearanced copies of "old" games.
>>
>>3226284
Video games didn't "go" away in the strict sense; the Atari 2600 was never discontinued from sale and there were still arcade games coming out like Jr. Pac-Man and Dig Dug II though nobody paid any attention to them.
>>
>>3226290
Thats what im saying. People make the crash out like it made video gaming a massive wasteland where all hardware and software was recalled and everyone threw away everything they already owned.
>>
Like the other guy said, Mattel and Coleco cashed in their chips in 1984 and went home. There were still a handful of 2600 games being made, mostly because of Activision's perverse dedication to the platform and by that point most of their money came from PC gaming.
>>
>>3226290
Yeah. little 8-10 year old me actually had more access to games during this time because of the clearance shops and more of my "poor" friends being able to get a 2600 and some games. And even if this hadn't happened, I could have played Stampede and Asteroids (game 9) until I got my NES. (With R.O.B.!!! What a terrible idea...)
>>
>>3225821
Is that real?
>>
>>3225952
>I was only 2 years old but trust me, arcades were dead
>Atari releases Marble Madness, Paperboy and Gauntlet
>>
>>3226375
That was dealt with in >>3226290

Arcade games continued to be released, but sales were slow and hardly anyone played them. The arcades in malls were a ghost town compared to three years earlier.
>>
>>3226375
Yeah. I was living in a very small town at the time, but new cabinets kept showing up at the local laundromat, the town bar, and the auto body shop across the street. The occasional trip into the "Big City" of Toledo would show that the mall arcades were still alive if not actually thriving. They were always jammed on nights that a new movie was opening.
>>
>>3226382
>sales were slow
That must be why it's so hard to find Gradius, Commando, Hang-On, Ghosts n Goblins and Space Harrier machines - because so few were sold.
>>
>>3226432
Most of those games came out here in 86, which was after the NES and SMB had arrived and video game sales were coming back.
>>
>>3226434
All of those were released in 1985. Want me to do 1984 too or have you had enough?
>>
>>3226469
Japanese releases were 85. US releases were a few months after that. Similarly, SMB was released in Japan September 1985 and not in the US until the following February.
>>
>>3226469
>or have you had enough
>implying anyone's intimidated by an underage /v/tard like you
>>
>>3226469
Jr. Pac-Man was released in 84 and hard got any attention, Dig Dug II came out in early 85 and was little noticed. Many of the games he mentions were released at the end of 85 or into 86.
>>
>>3225952
IT was the home market that crashed.
Actually read up before you spew shit like you know it.
>>
>>3226591
Underage teenage, plz. I've been computing since before your mom shat you outta her crusty hole.
>>
>>3226348

Yep, it's a human being born without the maxillary.
>>
File: dizzy.jpg (53KB, 642x768px) Image search: [Google]
dizzy.jpg
53KB, 642x768px
Dizzy > your favourite American game
>>
One of the absolute worst cancers on retro computers IMO is the demo scene and 90% of that shit is made by Yuropoors.
>>
>>3225818
Arcades. Or they just kept playing their Atari 2600 games.

>>3225952
>Arcades were dead, dude. They called it the video game crash for a reason

It was a console market crash more than anything. PC gaming hadn't become even remotely popular yet, so that was unaffected. Arcades were still around, but they WERE heavily affected. Most went out of business, but every town (unless it was rural) still had one place you could go that had at least a few arcade games.

>the Atari 2600 kept on trucking despite minimal sales, almost no new games, and production being outsourced to Taiwan to cut costs

The Atari 2600 was discontinued (and then later brought back after the success of the NES). You could not find those things at all in the mid-80s.
>>
File: costanza_400x400.jpg (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
costanza_400x400.jpg
19KB, 400x400px
>>3226876
>PC gaming hadn't become even remotely popular yet, so that was unaffected
>>
>>3226883
That's 100% true though. PC gaming didn't really take off until the 90s. You're overestimating the number of people who had PCs in their homes before Windows 3.1 came out. In the 80s most computer gaming was on the Commodore 64.
>>
>>3226891
Don't use PC for IBM+compatibles.
>>
Computer gaming of course was affected pretty badly, especially devs like Sirius and Synapse who specialized in arcade-style games did not survive the crash. Devs like Sierra who focused on the more traditional computer gaming genres did survive.
>>
>>3226876
>The Atari 2600 was discontinued (and then later brought back after the success of the NES). You could not find those things at all in the mid-80s.

"By mid-1984 most software development for the 2600 had stopped except by Atari and Activision, with third-party developers emphasizing ColecoVision games.[28] Although not formally discontinued, the 2600 was de-emphasized for two years after Warner's 1984 sale of Atari Inc.'s Consumer Division to Commodore Business Machines founder Jack Tramiel, who wanted to concentrate on home computers. He ended all development of console games, including a 2600 Garfield game and an Atari 5200 port of Super Pac-Man. Due to a large library and a low price point, the 2600 and the 2600jr, continued to sell into the late 1980s and was not discontinued until 1992. The 2600 ended up outdoing all other hardware that Atari released, in attempt to replicate its success"
>>
>>3225818
I might be a couple of years too young. But I'll give you my take. (im 35) I was only a babby when the initial crash happened. My uncle got me into gaming. He was a fucking hardcore vidiot. So he was still playing games. The console market was shit. He was in the arcades. And thats where he brought me. So I would say the arcades were still the shit. NES came out. My dad got me one. But around that time I would say consoles came back. My cousin (his kid) Had a master system, and introduced me to TG16. Unc did not get back into consoles till Genesis first came out. I still remember playing Alterd Beast, and Tommy Lasorda baseball. Take from my life what you will.
>>
>>3226896
IBM invented the PC, though. Or are you one of those retards that calls all microcomputers a "PC".
>>
>>3226927
I will call any personal computer PC whether it's home or business, micro or macro, IBM or otherwise.
>>
>>3226949
Well, that's just silly.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.