[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you a fan of interlacing? (This gif flickers in 50 Euro

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: Söny.gif (44KB, 700x480px) Image search: [Google]
Söny.gif
44KB, 700x480px
Are you a fan of interlacing?

(This gif flickers in 50 Euro Hertz because gifs can't go beyond 50fps.)
>>
>>3224620
>Are you a fan of interlacing?
Not an issue with retro games.

That gif doesn't show what flicker actually looks like.
>>
>>3224632
>Not an issue with retro games.
Retro games have interlacing. Who said it's an issue? Weirdo.
>>
I absolutely love shitty shaking low resolution modes! In fact it's so good I wonder why display standards even progressed past 480i.
>>
>>3224650
>Retro games have interlacing.
Very few retro games are interlaced.
A few have some interlaced bits.

>Who said it's an issue? Weirdo.
It's an issue.
>>
>>3224673
They have! It's called 1080i and it is glorious like Sephiroth!
>>
Tekken 3 ugh
>>
>what is phosphor persistence
>>
>>3225129
what is it?
>>
File: phosphor.jpg (19KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
phosphor.jpg
19KB, 1280x720px
>>3225834
phosphor, the material in CRTs that produces the glowing image, tends to have a bit of an afterglow. When the electron beam passes it, it gets excited, and glows. When the beam is long gone, it still glows, until it fades. Older CRTs, especially the green and amber computer terminals, had a very long persistence period. As a result, these displays simply would not flicker. Sure, the beam was only touching a pixel every 20ms, but it would glow long enough, that it looked like a sustained flicker-free glow.
Now, with CRTs and interlacing it's similar. Sure, each field only scans half the rows, but that row will not go black instantly. It'll slowly fade, and usually gets excited again by the frame after the next, and hence regains its glow.
As a result, an interlaced image does not flicker back and forth, like OPs pic is suggesting. In fact, a still image will just have its high resolution. That was one of the reasons why interlacing was conceived to begin with. You get full resolution, at a reduced framerate, and motion artifacts.
Interlacing just sucks balls for rapid movement, because then you see the interlacing pattern and things get overly blurry, which is kind of bad for fast moving video games. The only way you could see that pattern though, is if a previous field stays on screen while the current field is being drawn. The reason you can see it is phosphor persistence.
>>
>>3225864
That's cute. I'm still fond of interlacing because of nostalgia.
>>
File: 1457075916684.gif (4MB, 640x333px) Image search: [Google]
1457075916684.gif
4MB, 640x333px
>pal
>>
>>3224620
Double strike for life
>>
>>3224620
>(This gif flickers in 50 Euro Hertz because gifs can't go beyond 50fps.)
Just a correction, GIFs CAN go beyond 50fps, specifically they can do 100fps but most browsers don't support it. It can't do 60fps though, it's either 100 or 50.
>>
>>3225959
Is it because of the max frame delay of 1/1000ms?
That would mean gifs can display 1000fps but not 60fps.
>>
>>3225974
*min frame delay
>>
>>3225974
GIFs don't work in milliseconds, they work in 1/100 of a second (don't know what's the english word for it. hundredsecond?)

1/100 sec is 100fps and 2/100 is 50fps, that's why you can't have 60.
>>
>>3225995
>the english word for it
The SI system has the centi prefix for that purpose. Just like a centimeter is 1/100 of a meter, a centisecond is 1/100 of a second. So your examples would have frame durations of 1 and 2 centiseconds
>>
File: 100fps.gif (124B, 10x10px) Image search: [Google]
100fps.gif
124B, 10x10px
>>3225995
10/1000ms = 1/100ms = 100 fps
I tried to make a 1/1000ms = 1000 fps in Gimp but it says delay inserted to prevent cpu clog.
So you are correct with 1/100ms. But theoretically 1/1000 ms should be possible if software allowed it.
>>
>>3226017
>But theoretically 1/1000 ms should be possible if software allowed it.
The resolution of the delay is in the specs of the format. The most you could do, possibly, is set the frame duration to 0, which means "as fast as possible". That's not exactly 1000fps, and will clog your cpu
>>
>>3226017
>But theoretically 1/1000 ms should be possible if software allowed it.
Not sure if it's even theoretically possible. Not sure how the format works but considering how bare bones the format is, in the file data the minimum value they allow for the frame delay is probably "1" meaning a centisecond, so you probably can't go below that. I'm just speculating though, I have no actual clue.
>>
>>3224620
Emulators fix this anon.
>>
>>3227208
not really...
>>
>>3227208
More like you'll need a meme shilling RA filter to imitate the interlacing emulators.
>>
>>3228306
>meme shilling RA filter
a what?

>interlacing emulators
Are there any emulators that actually respect interlacing during the interlaced modes? If so, what do they do? Just hold the values?
>>
File: bfi.gif (46KB, 700x480px) Image search: [Google]
bfi.gif
46KB, 700x480px
>>3224632
How's this? Doesn't seem to look too good on Chrome though, since it's 1/100.
>>
File: deinterlaced.png (252KB, 1400x960px) Image search: [Google]
deinterlaced.png
252KB, 1400x960px
>>3228309
Most emulator deinterlacing methods are shitty, especially retroarch, because they degrade the image. Modern deinterlacing methods like used in handbrake don't deinterlace the picture but decomb it, because not every frame is interlaced and it only decombs the interlaced ones, which preserves a lot of the image quality that is lost in standard constant deinterlacing methods like bob, yadif etc...

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Decomb
>>
File: not_deinterlaced.png (120KB, 1400x960px) Image search: [Google]
not_deinterlaced.png
120KB, 1400x960px
>>3228781
same menu screen without any deinterlacing filter...
>>
>>3228783
>>3228781
While light on processing it still is not the best solution. The best solution is temporal deinterlacing which analyses motion to determine where motion change happens between fields to deinterlace only those areas of the full frame. This is computationally expensive as multiple frames may be analyzed and such filters sometimes additionally use motion interpolation to reproduce missing lines. QTGMC filter for Avisynth and Vapoursynth is probably the best thing around, it combines many other filters and is scaleable in terms of performance vs quality. Modern systems should be able to deinterlace SD content in realtime with it.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.