[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm playing Doom for the first time ever. I was expecting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: cover_large[1].jpg (135KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
cover_large[1].jpg
135KB, 520x520px
So I'm playing Doom for the first time ever.

I was expecting a pretty dated game, one whose level of enjoyment would be mostly quaint and fueled by nostalgia and humble reverence.

Holy shit!

This game is fucking amazing. I'm honestly dumbstruck at how brilliant it remains after all these years. Even ignoring the brilliant enemy and level design, I don't think I've ever played a game that simply felt this good to just play. It's just so goddamn punchy and visceral.

It's beautiful, /vr/. It's so fucking beautiful.

What have I been missing all this time?
>>
>>3219349
i dunno
welcome to hell, i guess
>>
>>3219349
This belongs to doom general.
Delete your thread and take this there.
>>3217447
>>
>>3219349
You missed the general
>>
>>3219357
>>3219369
Sorry, famm.

Feel free to delete this thread, mods.

-OP
>>
>>3219349
The game is built on a sound, basic foundation.
It has lasting appeal, because it's easy to get into, can be approached from many angles, and it can be challenging if you want it to be (See Episode 4 and Plutonia), there's no overt complexity or clunky game mechanics, it runs fast and smooth, the original controls (keyboard + mouse turning) are fast, responsive and works for the game.

While custom level sets can be made particularly tricky, there isn't anything about the original game that is difficult to understand, it does this with an appealing aesthetic, atmosphere and style. The game rewards exploring with secrets, and the level design is typically interesting in some way.

Oh yeah, speaking of custom content, people have been making that for two decades, so there's a lot of good shit that's been made over the years.
>>
>>3219357

Ignore this cuck, this thread is fine.
>>
>>3219349

How come you never played it before?
>>
>>3219562
I'm a bit too young, and my parents didn't buy a computer before the new millennium. It was simply before my time.

My PC-gaming experience started in the late years of the golden age of PC shooters, so I didn't get to play Doom, any of its clones, Half-Life, or even Deus Ex. The oldest PC shooter I owned was No One Lives Forever.

Like I said in the OP, I kinda thought that the game's lasting popularity was mainly due to public reverence more than actual longevity.

Boy, was I wrong! It's a timeless masterpiece.
>>
IMO what makes this game so great compared to Duke Nukem3d for example is that there isnt a ton of menus and sliders to use

in DN you have look up down, jump, steriods, jetpack, holoduke, swimming, etc.

In doom theres just you and weapons. and a lot of strafing. And I like it
>>
>>3219349
I just played Doom 1 for the first time in November. Yeah, it really is timeless. Just moving around feels so satisfying.
>>
>>3219679
You really are steamed that the general isn't even paying attention to you anymore, aren't you?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.