[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Pokemon Red and Blue a 3rd, 4th, or 5th generation video game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: Pokemon Red.png (169KB, 300x301px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon Red.png
169KB, 300x301px
Is Pokemon Red and Blue a 3rd, 4th, or 5th generation video game?

The console it was released on, the Game Boy, debuted in 1989. However, Pokemon Red and Blue was released in February of 1996 in Japan, yet wasn't released in North America until September of 1998.

So what generation should the game be filed under?
>>
>>3216576
doesn't really matter man, I just see it as a late original gameboy game.
>>
>>3216585
>doesn't really matter
It does when you're trying to write an article on the history of video games.
>>
>>3216576
>>3216589
Considering that games released after 2000 are allowed here as long as the console itself was released before 2000, then going by that logic it's a 4th generation game.

Gameboy is 4th gen, so are the games.
>>
>>3216576
Generation of the game is based on the hardware it's released on and nothing more.
>>
I see it as a 5th gen game.
1996 was already full 5th gen galore with both PS1 and Saturn out in the market and the N64 coming a few months later.

In reality, >>3216585 is right. It's still an original Game Boy game.
It had support on the SNES with the Super Gameboy, and most of the other spinoff games were for N64, nothing on SNES (unless there was some weird Stellaview or some other japan-only pikachu game).
>>
>>3216624
>Gameboy is 4th gen
But the Game Boy debuted in 1989, during the 3rd generation. So wouldn't that make the Game Boy a 3rd generation console?
>>
>>3216641
>I see it as a 5th gen game.
>1996 was already full 5th gen galore with both PS1 and Saturn out in the market and the N64 coming a few months later.
The whole concept of which generation each game belongs under confuses the hell out of me.
>>
>>3216681

I said I see it as a 5th gen game chronologically, since 1996 was already pretty 5th gen to me. Even more considering the 1998 release in the west.
But that the correct way to consider Pokemon is as an original Game Boy game.
>>
>>3216690
>I said I see it as a 5th gen game chronologically, since 1996 was already pretty 5th gen to me. Even more considering the 1998 release in the west.
>But that the correct way to consider Pokemon is as an original Game Boy game.
So wouldn't that make Pokemon a 3rd generation game? Because the Game Boy was released in 1989, during the 3rd generation, right?
>>
>>3216669
The 4th gen began with the Mega Drive in 1988 (Japan release).

Gameboy is 4th gen, Color is 5th gen, GBA is 6th gen, etc.
>>
And the PC Engine was released in 1987, which was the technical start of the 4th generation. Although the Gameboy was 8-bit, it was released in the 16-bit era.
>>
>>3216715
>The 4th gen began with the Mega Drive in 1988 (Japan release).
>Gameboy is 4th gen, Color is 5th gen, GBA is 6th gen, etc.
I believe what you're telling me is so, but what exactly makes the Game Boy a 4th generation console? I read on Wikipedia that the 3rd generation of video games was between 1983 and 1990. So if a console was released during that era, wouldn't it be classified as a 3rd gen. console?
>>
>>3216727
The 4th gen began in 1987 though. There were no 3rd generation handhelds that I'm aware of, as the Game and Watch is 2nd generation.

Wiki also says the Gameboy is 4th gen too.
>>
>>3216736
>The 4th gen began in 1987 though. There were no 3rd generation handhelds that I'm aware of, as the Game and Watch is 2nd generation.
>Wiki also says the Gameboy is 4th gen too.
Alright, thanks for clearing that up for me. I think I understand, now.

So a game's classified generation depends solely on what generation it's respected console is from.

Let me ask another question. Why did the 4th generation begin in 1987?
Furthermore, how do the "powers that be" decide what signals the end of a generation and the beginning of another?
>>
>>3216743
>So a game's classified generation depends solely on what generation it's respected console is from.
That's right. An example is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 for the N64. It came out in 2002, in the 6th generation but it's still a 5th gen game (on PS1 and N64 at least).

>Why did the 4th generation begin in 1987?
Because the PC Engine was released in Japan. It was a massive move forward from the 8-bit consoles of the 3rd generation (although it's technically an 8-bit console with it's CPU, it's color space is 16-bit).

>Furthermore, how do the "powers that be" decide what signals the end of a generation and the beginning of another?
It used to be when a console was released with more bits or far more powerful hardware (16-bit moving on from 8-bit, 32-bit moving on from 16-bit, etc). Now it's not as simple, but it's generally accepted to be the next console a major manufacturer makes after a few years. I don't know much about that to be honest.

The generation ends when the last console of that gen stops being manufactured. The 4th gen lasted until 2003 because Nintendo was still making Super Famicoms until then.
>>
Handhelds are classified into a different set of generation than consoles.

Arcade systems are classified into a different set of generation than consoles.

Computers are classified into a different set of generation than consoles.

Auto Race (Mattel 1976) was a 1st gen handheld.

Microvision (Milton Bradley 1979) and Game & Watch (1980) were 2nd gen handhelds.

Gameboy (1989) was a 3rd gen handheld.

What needs to be figured out:
Is the Game Boy Colour a gen up from the gameboy?

Are the Atari Lynx, Sega Game Gear, Sega Nomad, and Turbo Express a gen up from the Gameboy due to their more advanced/expensive/power consuming hardware?

Is the Wonderswan Colour a gen up from the Wonderswan?

Is the Neo Geo Pocket Colour a gen up from the Neo Geo Pocket?

Is the N-Gage considered a handheld or does it belong to mobile phone gaming (Symbian family)?
>>
>>3216715
GBC is Gen 5-1/2 as the original Gameboy ran well into the 5th gen.
>>
>>3216589
Well then the current generation-based periodization of video games has several flaws.

What defines a video game generation other than a few new hardware devices released sporadically throughout a few years?
>>
>>3217819
In my opinion the New 3DS is in the same gen as the original 3DS. It's just a minor upgrade like the PS4 Neo will be.
>>
>>3216589
And you're using 4chan as your source? That is idiotic, do some actual research.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.