[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you get good at shmups? I suck and die all the time.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 3-don-pachi.jpg (320KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
3-don-pachi.jpg
320KB, 480x320px
How do you get good at shmups? I suck and die all the time.

Are you sposed to watch your ship more than what's going on above, so you can avoid shots? Is it just level memorization? Are there any tricks or tactics? Is it better to start with an easy game then get into harder games? What even is an easy shmup?
>>
>>3204803
Yes.
>>
File: image.png (84KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
84KB, 300x250px
>>3204803
Tricks, memorizing patterns, etc... Like 2D fighters, shooters kind of shrunk down into their niche fan base. So no more fun shooters you can play just for the fun of it. Now I'd guess 99% percent of players couldn't advance past the first level of a modern shooter without hitting the bomb button every few seconds.
>>
You'll get better the more you play, just like anything else. No different than starting any other genre you're not familiar with/good at.
Well, except that shmups require a hell of a lot of focus. A second of carelessness is all it takes to die in intense situations. And if you're playing R-Type, you're going to pull your hair out when that happens near the end of the level or at a boss. Learn enemy patterns, learn the levels, and you won't have too much trouble.

Your reaction time in vidya will get a lot faster, that's always a plus. Good luck.
>>
Out of retro games Compile games tend to be pretty easy to continue feed, but difficult to 1cc.
I recommend continue feeding through Space Megaforce aka Super Aleste.
If you want something a bit more modern the Compile team eventually formed a company called Milestone and they release games on the Dreamcast, Game Cube and PS2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MileStone_Inc.
>>
>>3204803
>Are you sposed to watch your ship more than what's going on above, so you can avoid shots?
No. Keep your eyes around the middle of the screen and don't look at your ship, watch the bullet trajectory.

>Is it just level memorization?
Only the first step, it's much more reliant on execution especially RNG heavy shumps like Batrider.

>Are there any tricks or tactics?
Learn the route of a shmup you like.

>What even is an easy shmup?
Ikaruga.
>>
Mushihime Futari Original Novice mode is easy AS FUCK and it's on Steam.
Bee Storm World revision is very easy, you get 8 bombs per life.
Donpachi US revision replenishes all your bombs each time you kill a boss.
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu on Steam gives you an auto-bomb.
Deathsmiles is very easy if you're smart with your powerups and use Sakura.
>>
Literally just practice, I used to think Stage 2 of Dodonpachi was really hard when I started but now I can almost 1ALL it
>>
File: soukyugurentai-f.jpg (40KB, 367x312px) Image search: [Google]
soukyugurentai-f.jpg
40KB, 367x312px
Soukyugurentai.
>>
>>3204828
>Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu on Steam
I think you've made a mistake here, it doesn't come out on Steam until August. It's on some mobile platforms
>>
>>3204828
>Mushihime Futari
I messed up, I meant Mushihime Sama.
Futari Original is a bit harder.
>>
>>3204838
Yep.
>>
File: axelay.jpg (245KB, 590x446px) Image search: [Google]
axelay.jpg
245KB, 590x446px
Axelay is cool for a gateway drug. You don't die on one hit and there are both vertical and horizontal levels.
>>3204803
If you're having trouble just use continues, dude. The games are as hard as you make them. There's no point stressing over perfect runs.
>>
>>3204848
Salamander is the superior vert+hori STG.
>>
Go back to your containment general.

>>>/vg/shmupg
>>
As others have said just practice and get used to keeping your eyes off your ship.

Sidenote: using marijuana is cheating at shmups
>>
>>3204856
Salamander 2 maybe.

The original is kinda crappy.
>>
>>3204856
Life Force is the superior Salamander anyway. The story is that they couldn't finish the game on time so they added a bunch of enemies, tied up the graphics and a new power up system for Life Force and released it on the International market.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.