[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the most nostalgia has cost you? I played pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12

File: image.jpg (141KB, 250x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141KB, 250x360px
What's the most nostalgia has cost you? I played pic related when I was ten or 11 at the Best Buy, I always longed to play it as an adult, and after dropping like $250 on the whole setup I was like man this game is a piece of fuck
Just wondering other's similar experiences
>>
Yeah, the ads for that game made it look fantastic

Too bad it's kinda shit
>>
They nailed the atmosphere for the tech they had, though.
>>
>>3204547
You shoot someone and they explode in a puff of smoke wtf
>>
Went off in a month about a grand. Bought the retron with snes, sega, nes and gameboy advance setup. Got for NES ninja gaiden 1-3, mega man 2 and 3, Castlevania 3, Solomons key, and robowarrior. For SNES mega man x1, secret of mana, super Mario rpg, Shadowrun, and super metroid and for SEGA just Shinobi 3. Got few other titles as well. But nice little nostalgia collection I'll keep till I'm dead. No regrets on the retro rampage
>>
>>3205229
Also for NES Double Dragon 1-2, and Zelda 2 Links Awakening
>>
About two hundred bux over the past month - all hardware purchases though:

For dreamcast:

2 Dreamcasts at $30 each
2 Dreamcast controllers new in box $25 each
Dreamcast to PC adaptor $20
100 CDR for burning games - $10
Vga box - $30

Just setup MAME on my Macbook Pro

WIndows 7 DVD - $40
128GB SD CARD for MAME - $30

That's it and thats all the retro gaming I'll ever need
>>
>>3205257
Is there any way to name without a pc
>>
>>3204547
What atmosphere???
There isn't even background music
>>
>>3204532
My sanity.

My hopes of fitting in with society.

My ability to stomach technology.

My prospects for appeasing my out-of-control transfaggotry cravings, and with it, the whole mechanism for blowing off steam that is sexuality.

My ability to enjoy retro games too, probably.

Oh well, fuck it all, the nexuses of the western world are indescribably disgusting abominations anyway. ... Okay, so basically I wanted a spare system for windows 98 games, and to fit in with a particular bunch of people who really knew tech from the past few decades, though they were also very knowledgeable on current tech issues. But these fucks who I was supposed to get two lame older systems from - two machines NOBODY ELSE FUCKING WANTED, they decided among themselves that I must all-out-love tech, that I have a "calling" together with them, that I owe the disadvantaged, that I'm their foot-through-the-door to the aforementioned computing veterans, that I'm their "bro", that I asked for having team-spirit/company-spirit/charity-sprit rammed down my throat, and they just fucking GRABBED ONTO ME, and fucking did everything they could to get under my skin to try to get me off balance. And now everyone's just going to laugh at me and celebrate how much a freak who doesn't appreciate the joy of the future got righteously crushed. God, I fucking hate all these "modern"-style "people" so much, especially histrionic-compulsive blends, histrionic males are a scourge that need to be chemo'ed, even ostensibly straight ones - especially those.
>>
File: 1417950012985.jpg (9KB, 299x293px) Image search: [Google]
1417950012985.jpg
9KB, 299x293px
>>3205498
>>
File: image.png (853KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
853KB, 640x1136px
>>3205498
>>
>>3205535
The nerdy one, eh?
>>
>>3204532
>metroidvania FPS Alien vs Predator game
>bad

There hasn't been a better AvsP game since.
>>
>>3205587
Whens the last time
You played it 1996?
>>
>>3205587
>Doom clone
Fixed
>>
>>3205401

There's ambience.
>>
So far about breaking even with all my game sales,(not a re-seller just selling my childhood games) gonna go down the rabbit hole when I get an AES though what are the best flash/multicart solutions?
>>
>>3205587
Not retro, but denying the absolute perfection that is AvP 99/2000... (No, I'm not kidding).
>>
File: avpgold.jpg (38KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
avpgold.jpg
38KB, 650x650px
>>3205587
Oh how wrong you are.
>>
>>3206005
I'm one of the Jaguar's defenders around these parts, but I never really got into AvP. I've spent time with it, it's kinda cool. But I guess I was mostly looking for action in the way of Doom & Wolf3D.
>>
>>3206017
Doom with no music
>dropped
>>
>>3206017
What is there to defend?
Terrible system and i owned one with many games. What games can you tolerate let alone play nowadays? I'm genuinely curious
>>
File: 1452994312968.png (486KB, 526x700px) Image search: [Google]
1452994312968.png
486KB, 526x700px
>>3205498
There's a nugget of truth in this post. I just can't quite put my finger on what it is though.
>>
>>3206437

Rayman, but the soundtrack is butchered on the Jaguar version, and apparently you don't even get to slide on the chrome bars in Band Land. Fucking dropped.
>>
>>3206015
Whenever I replay it I always remap the bindings to ALIENS versus PREDATOR 2. Better control scheme for all three species.
>>
>>3206445
Just a nugget? Well, take your pick...

People make a big deal about old PCs, they get so floored by awareness that such a thing used to be so valuble, and they're haunted by the fact that all that old tech is still very useable, but they can't cope with the technical requirements of getting stuff in a useable state - a task gets elaborate since just wrapping your head around what is good for what.

Artificial scarcity is something that gets used in all sorts of ways, for example, reseller scum could soon start implying that you need to cough up an expected price for a game, or it will get used for repros.

Things that seem like they may be due for teamwork, with groups that have no actual reason for working together, just get stormed with eager poseours out to prance around as can-do participants in the precious "team", that can't and don't feel like doing nothing but "being a part" of the fabricated team.

Obsessed-over-sexual-aberations are a cancer that cannot go away or stop growing remotely soon, there's all sorts of subtle things pushing towards them being dragged out into the open. Once such a dissease digs in, it's not remotely likely to get shrugged off, the only accessible treatment for all or part of the deviation package is intelligently focussed hate. Now, genderal deviants were just the kind of thing that a moralistic gang like those techist-poseurs were due to take interest in, but it would obviously be very wrong to let pandering towards that be another thing added to the arsenal of tricks of an anti-nerd scheme.

People are fanatically playing stupid about how the main effect/use of computers is distraction. In fact, just among those techist-poseurs, the biggest dilemma with the machines was failure to get youtube working nicely, they talked about facebook about an effective conduit towards eager contributors, only one guy, a deep-progressive who felt sorry for existing jumped at opportunities to laugh at caught-gamers.
>>
You can't deny some of the aim of this game was true. But yeah it fucking sucks. Sympathy for all the kids who asked for Jaguars
>>
>>3208371
So what you're saying is that gender indentity liberals have invaded retro computer collecting?

Meh, they try this shit in every "male dominated space"
>>
File: image.png (840KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
840KB, 640x1136px
>>3208371
>>
>>3208663
Nope, stuff of the same sort, but not precisely that.

They weren't all liberals, the liberals were far saner about it all, whereas a pair more on the conservative end were like "dur hur, we gon' kick ass for the company!" without really being bothered about it not actually being a real company.

Those with gender identity trepidations, personal or not, were really just of interest to them as potential weak links in the chainmail or whatnot of bunches of nerds.

On the whole though, it was just guys who identified as technologists. Still big social justice dramaqueens though.
>>
File: image.jpg (366KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
366KB, 1280x960px
>>3210421
>>
>>3205498
Maybe I'm just tired, but goddamn that post devolved into some borderline word-salad.
>>
>>3206437

Tempest 2000
>>
I use emulators on my modern day PC with a remanufacture of the original controllers on a....... flastscreen and I love it.
>>
I think I spent about $40 for Final Fantasy II on the SNES not too long ago.

I'm a pretty picky bastard, I refuse to pay more than $60 for any game, rare or not. I might make exceptions for Everdrives though.
>>
>it's an anon forgets to take his meds thread
>>
Anon really bought a fucking jaguar? Why tho?
Most i spent on a game recently was 30 for battletoads
>>
>>3210748
Look on the bright side, if it's word salad, then you can read it backwards and it'll make at least as much sense!
>>
File: image030.jpg (37KB, 579x432px) Image search: [Google]
image030.jpg
37KB, 579x432px
>>3210748
High borderline or low borderline?

I happen to have also been tired when I wrote part of one of the posts.
>>
>>3210421
I think I'm starting to see what you're getting at here but you're still all over the place, take some rest then come back and take this again from the top
>>
>>3204532

Bro, pick up a copy of Brutal Sports Football and that $250 investment will seem like a bargain.

You see those heads on the ground? Fuck scoring more points, just decapitate everyone on the opposing team.
>>
>>3212956
Which version?
>>
>>3211292
Not sure if that's more than you'd pay for a repro of a translation of super famicom FF4, but it is a weaker game.
>>
>>3206432
It's largely ripped off anyway.

>>3211370
It's said to have an amazing homebrew scene.
>>
>>3206432
I always turned off music in Doom (DOS). It didn't work with my perception of the game at all
>>
>>3212956
Simple game, but loads of fun.
Don't bother going for the ball, just go for the other guy's head.
>>
>>3215413
That's so the opposite of me. I didn't have a soundcard when I first played doom, and I would grab a walkman to go with the game.

Also, I was rather weirded out that if you had an adlib or "general midi" card, it only handled the music, and you had to use PC speaker for sound.
>>
>>3218358
>I was rather weirded out that if you had an adlib or "general midi" card, it only handled the music, and you had to use PC speaker for sound
that's because adlib and general midi cards could only use the midi interface, not generic sample playback
>>
>>3218358
>That's so the opposite of me
I played Doom like a survival horror game. Sneaking slowly, listening to grunts. The music was the total opposite of that, and hence not useful to me.
Also meant I had less trouble with Doom 3. It played the same for me.

First time I'd actually run & gun was UT99. Things were just different in a DM arena. It wasn't so much survival as it was an all-out attack
>>
>>3204532

Why didn't you just emulate it first to see if you liked it before spending money? Or at least watched some YouTube videos first.
>>
>>3205229

You could have just emulated for free on your computer seeing as the retron is just emulation anyway.
>>
>>3205264

Write it on a piece of paper with a pen.
>>
>>3212872
Hmmm, I don't think I could try to explain the lot of it from scratch, in fact it's nagging at me to just forget it, give everything up, and just cut myself off from the world, but I'm getting suspicions into my head that some sides of this are more accessible...

Since the SJW danger in it was brought up, I guess I'll try to explain that. Basically, it wasn't "gender identity liberals", there might have been some like that there supporting it, they weren't vocal, so that pressumption can't be looked at seriously, but at the fanatical core, there were the much more mundane pro immigrant type, basic SJWs.

This doesn't really seem odd, I mean, foreigners are rather prone to jaw dropping at tech, and do get infamous about tech uses that westerners find way too messy, like. making any sorts of stuff for the black market.

So, what it kind of was, they took the whole theme of "the disadvantaged" in the opposite way of the pseudo-deep approach of those out to take the small, abonormal-in-a-very-stable-way phenomenon of transsexualism and spread it between 1 to 2 orders of magnitude more, it was not at all about pretending to uselessly understand ANY odd types of people. It was absolutely the opposite, it was devoted to pitchable sound-byte type things, like getting hip to the needs of "the poor", getting with the "google age", envisioning "bright futures", appreciating "needed reasurance for the normal man" in the horribly daunting realm of tech, "leadership", "growth forcasts". "sharing", "education", "unoppresion", celebration.

It wasn't like feminists, who just get CONSTRUED as flashes of dramatic idiocy because others find their ideology too wishy, contrived and repulsive to actually pay attention to. These twits really were walking soundbyte arsenals. This would NOT bug me REMOTELY as much if I didn't HAVE to deal with people like THAT in my normal life!!
>>
>>3220848
But then, they went full retard and weren't faithful to the scattergun approach - not with clamoring for support, but would just get fucking clutchy. I guess there's a basis for that in "progressive" tech, there does seem to be a small subset of devout tools, pulling the hardcore Stallmanism (ie. Stallman contrary to Torvalds), prone to banging their heads against the wall.

I gotta admit though, the place was morbidly fascinating, and in an appetizing way, not like walking into a gathering of modern gamers. Instead... So many bizarre types, sometimes affirmed as being messed up by the rest, though they didn't seem very accurate in rating each other on insanity. The one guy that actually mentioned 4chan, as well as TOTSE, looked a little bizarre but obviously was very functional.

They also got stupidly lucky location wise, that made the place too appealing, it had some interesting stuff near it.
>>
>>3219651
but it feels different to hold these cartridges close to you physically
>>
>>3210738
Why are you posting literally reaction pics?
>>
>>3220921
Just cartridges? What about CDs? And what about the manuals? What if they weren't exactly the same types of cartridges, like the smaller famicom versions instead, or ports to 5th gen CD based systems and add ons?
>>
>>3205229
>retron
Do you even realize what a big faggot this makes you?
>>
File: image.jpg (298KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
298KB, 1280x960px
>>3220964
>>
File: image.jpg (322KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
322KB, 1280x960px
>>3220848
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.