[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there other games that make death a central mechanic rather

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 13

File: SR.jpg (40KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
SR.jpg
40KB, 800x600px
Are there other games that make death a central mechanic rather than simply a punishment for failure?
>>
KAIN IS DEIFED
>>
>>3191680
Not entirely retro, but Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter does this. You accumulate a carry-over exp pool and unlock more scenes when you die or start new game +. Beating it on a first try is nearly impossible and not the best way to enjoy the game anyway (unless you enjoy that sort of challenge).
>>
File: 1415899666645.jpg (55KB, 607x859px) Image search: [Google]
1415899666645.jpg
55KB, 607x859px
Most Raizing STGs? You have to kill yourself prematurely to prevent rank from getting out of hand, chaining enough medals to earn back extra lives through score.
>>
>>3191807
THE CLANS TELL TALES OF HIM; FEW KNOW THE TRUTH
>>
>>3192107
And that's why BoF:DQ is fucking bullshit.
>>
Am I wrong in thinking that Shadowman used a similar mechanic?
>>
File: greezzers.png (44KB, 640x500px) Image search: [Google]
greezzers.png
44KB, 640x500px
>>3191680

In Herc's Adventures, if you run out of health you're sent to the Underworld and need to fight your way out against Harryhausenesque skeleton hordes and whatnot. Every time you get sent deeper and deeper down and it takes more time to climb back up, but I think there's a limited number of times before Game Over
>>
File: polterguy.png (10KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
polterguy.png
10KB, 640x448px
>>3192287
Haunting has a pretty similar business when you run out of ectoplasm; you're banished from the material plane and need to gather back as much as you can before you can get back
>>
Gonna chuck in another not retro title, but Evil Dead Regeneration gives Ash a half-deadite sidekick who instantly revives upon death, which is handy because you have to kill him plenty of times to solve puzzles or kill enemies.
>>
>>3191680
planescape: torment
>>
>>3192131
HE WAS MORTAL ONCE, AS WERE WE ALL.
>>
>>3192107
it's not nearly impossible. it's really easy.
>>
>>3191680
Can someone post the pasta about Soul Reaver story ? I did all of them and I still don't get why Raziel and the reaver are bind together
>>
>>3192498
Because of the timeloop created in Defiance, where Raziel fuses himself with the sword, allowing Kain to defeat the Elder God. THAT Soul Reaver is the very same sword Kain gets in Blood Omen (Future Kain presumably left it for his younger self).

A soul of Wraith fused with the blade allows it to take souls of his enemies (like Raziel did), which it was not originally designed for.

When Kain strikes Raziel in SR1, Blade is unable to drain him (because it already kinda did), so it transfers part of older Raziel's abilities he gained in Defiance upon younger Raziel in SR1. Basically put, in SR1 Raziel uses part of his future's soul as a weapon.
>>
>>3191680
planescape torment?
>>
>>3192459
HOWEVER, HIS CONTEMPT FOR HUMANITY DROVE HIM TO CREATE ME AND MY BRETHREN
>>
Not sure if it counts, but uh...Rogue legacy?
>>
>>3193251
I AM RAZIEL. FIRST BORN OF HIS LIEUTENANTS
>>
File: TCSMTis.png (278KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
TCSMTis.png
278KB, 640x480px
>>3193360
I STOOD WITH KAIN AND MY BRETHREN AT THE DAWN OF THE EMPIRE. I HAVE SERVED HIM A MILLENNIUM.
>>
Another non-retro, all of the Dark Souls games, and I think Demon's Souls and Bloodborne too, though I haven't played either of those.
>>
>>3193423
Well those are more dying as a punishment than as a mechanic still...In my opinion anyway.
>>
File: Drewp.jpg (17KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
Drewp.jpg
17KB, 210x240px
>>3193398

Over time we became less human and more . . . divine. Kain would enter the state of change and emerge with a new gift.
>>
File: tumblr_o2i6g75R3T1r2s10go1_1280.jpg (306KB, 432x900px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2i6g75R3T1r2s10go1_1280.jpg
306KB, 432x900px
>>3193430
Some time after the master, our evolution would follow.
>>
>>3192107
I beat it first try.
>>
>>3191680
Rougelikes use it as a mechanic to get you to restart from scratch.
>>
>>3193539
But they DO use it as punishment for failure, they're just intentionally very punishing.

I mean, I don't disagree that roguelikes use death in interesting way though.
>>
>>3192401
>>3193019
I never got "death as a mechanic" in planescape. Sure, its central to the story, but he loses his memory when he dies, so its not really a mechanic. Outside of that one puzzle that makes no sense.
>>
Battle garegaa and battke bakraid
P much every yagawa shmup
>>
Not retro, but in Karoshi series it's the goal of the game
>>
File: tips fedora.jpg (14KB, 228x243px) Image search: [Google]
tips fedora.jpg
14KB, 228x243px
>>3192356
holy flip i'd forgotten about that game thanks for reminding me
i never completed it
>>
>>3193423

I think they still use death as a punishment, they're just a little more unique since there are often mechanical differences between hollow and human, such as HP and scaling.
>>
>>3192126
>You have to kill yourself prematurely to prevent rank from getting out of hand, chaining enough medals to earn back extra lives through score.

That's not an intended mechanic though, it's just an excuse as to why you can't do a no miss run.
>>
>>3191680
Baroque, though actually surviving through a level is also a viable tactic, and dying isn't always good.

SMT: If... since dying is pretty much how you get new skills.
>>
>>3192475
>Beating it on a first try is nearly impossible

Nah, you just have to be smart with your save tokens and not abuse D-Form. I beat it first try with few issues.
>>
X-COM

Don't fucking get squad wiped.
>>
File: spookycozy.png (469KB, 580x364px) Image search: [Google]
spookycozy.png
469KB, 580x364px
Right now I'm playing on a private RO server with permadeath after level 70.

There's a quest to revive dead characters, but dying is part of the plotline somehow and spooky shit will start happening once you die. The server has like no population though, so I might never find out.

More on a EXACTLY YEAR 2000 retro note, I'm reminded of Tail of the Sun where killing your character would transfer control to one of your clansman who were all your mates or children/relatives, and making progress and developing intelligence or leg strength or something and passing it on to your descendants is part of the game.
>>
File: 402440-raziel2.jpg (34KB, 585x640px) Image search: [Google]
402440-raziel2.jpg
34KB, 585x640px
>>3193440
UNTIL I HAD THE HONOR OF SURPASSING MY LORD.
>>
>>3198412
FOR MY TRANSGRESSION, I EARNED A NEW KIND OF REWARD: AGONY.
>>
Descent, at least for speedrunners.
>>
>>3199856
Death warp is a tactic in most games with some sort of open map.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.