[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just beat Zelda II. I expected it to be ball-bustingly GnG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10

File: beat zelda II.png (39KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
beat zelda II.png
39KB, 1024x768px
So I just beat Zelda II. I expected it to be ball-bustingly GnG hard, but it really wasn't that bad. 33 gameovers, I think. I had a great time while playing it, I think it's my favorite Zelda game now. The combat was fun and the game overall felt fresh.

Also, I'm proud to say I beat Shadow Link or Dark Link or whatever the legitimate way(not the pussy way of being against the left wall and thrusting). There is a trick to it, I'll give you a hint.

Think about what portion of the triforce you are supposed to be receiving
>>
Nice blog faggot

Nah you're okay. Good for you that you got yourself into 2D platforming ARPGs. They're a good and underappreciated genre. Hit up Faxanadu next then if you can handle that report back.
>>
>>3191461
Faxanadu was pretty easy actually.

Battle of Olympus would be an up in difficulty I'd say. As long as you don't read walkthroughs.
>>
>>3191461
>Nice blog faggot
I-I was just trying to get a Zelda II or Zelda overall discussion started... pls no bully

>Nah you're okay. Good for you that you got yourself into 2D platforming ARPGs. They're a good and underappreciated genre. Hit up Faxanadu next then if you can handle that report back.

Yeah, I've seen some Faxanadu stuff and thought it looked cool. I've got some other games I want to play but that's pretty high on my backlog. I haven't played Popful Mail and that looks like it'd be really up my ally so I'll probably play that first and then get around to Faxanadu.
>>
>>3191468
Popful Mail is much more charming than most of those games but it's also a lot more linear so you may find it to be a pleasant departure.
>>
File: monday-link.jpg (10KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
monday-link.jpg
10KB, 250x250px
>>3191431
> Zelda II is my favourite Zelda game
is like claiming ice cream is your favourite cake. It's OK to like this game; just say you do and avoid unnecessarily delegitimating your opinion by comparing something to an essentially different thing
>>
File: heyanon.png (325KB, 379x323px) Image search: [Google]
heyanon.png
325KB, 379x323px
>>3191431
> there's a trick to it

I'll bite: what's this "trick"? I always pussy out in my sheer incredulity at having beaten the firebird to begin with
>>
>>3191513
Time to stop posting.
>>
>>3191513
True, Zelda classic is very different from the modern Aonuma based "Zelda" Nintendo keeps making.
>>
>>3191513
So nobody is allowed to have Zelda II as their favorite entry in the series because it's different from the others? That's insane. Sure, it means that you like a formula that is different from the others, but it's still an entry in the series.
>>3191518
You're supposed to be receiving the triforce of courage. What's the most courageous thing to do in combat? Be hyper-aggressive. If you just keep thrusting away not giving shadow Link any slack you'll hit him more than he'll hit you by a long shot(I only got hit once) and win. That makes it sound like you just kill him before he can kill you and the fight ends quickly but it doesn't, it's just that shadow Link is too busy blocking to hit you... sort of. That's the short version.

The long version is this: OK, so you have 4 ways to strike with your sword: regular thrust, crouching thrust, falling downward thrust, and upward jumping thrust. Shadow Link is invincible to the falling thrust if you do manage to get over him and frequently he'll simply back up and hit you when you land, so that's out. He's also invincible to the upward jumping thrust when he jumps over you, but that jump does provide opportunity for you in a different form; more on that later. Anyway, the upward thrust is out as well. Meaning we're back to the two thrusts we started the game with, which he is vulnerable to both. Which thrust has more range? You may be able to see where this is going. Of course the standing thrust has more range. Both of you can block, and neither of you can attack each other by doing anything other than thrusting. If you simply thrust away, he will not be able to get close without standing, and a successful block or hit pushes the two of you away. If you get too close and shadow Link crouch thrusts then you'll get hit, so you have to be careful with your range; close enough to hit but not too close. Eventually shadow Link will try to get for a crouch thrust when he's not close enough and you'll hit him. CONT
>>
>>3191547
That's basically the strategy, except earlier I mentioned that his jumping provides an opportunity for you. Turns out he'll occasionally jump over to the other side of you, and he's vulnerable for a short period of time when he reaches the other side of you, so if you react fast enough you can get a guaranteed hit.
>>
>>3191547
>>3191550
or you can just crouch in the lower left corner and spam your sword....that's a pretty well known trick
>>
>>3191556
Are you retarded?
>>3191431
>(not the pussy way of being against the left wall and thrusting)
This is a legitimate way. Positioning yourself against the left wall is basically cheating; this is a method of combat. It's not a guaranteed win, it's a strategy.
>>
>>3191550
>>3191547
That's some Dark Souls bullshit, dude. Wow.
>I mean, fitting since Dark Souls is kind of spiritual successor to these old 8bit ARPGs
>>
>>3191431
There is no Triforce button.
>>
>>3191575
What are you referring to? I beat the game and now my save has a triforce next to it, is that what you're talking about?
>>
>>3191579
Seriously?
>>
I just jumped in with a regular thrust and then a crouching thrust and then a standing thrust over and over.
>>
>>3191513
Kill yourself.

Itd be more like saying "birthday cake is my favorite ice cream flavor".
>>
>>3191431
This looks really bubbly and weird/awful. Is this a flash version of the game? Or some sort of filter?

And Zelda 2 is amazing. I've only met one other person who could beat it without save states-- so major kutos to you (assuming you really did it, and not scummed it)
>>
File: now you know my NAME.png (38KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
now you know my NAME.png
38KB, 1024x768px
>>3191637
Yes, it is a filter. I like it.

I did beat it without save states; kind of. Obviously, the great palace is a maze with a lot of dead ends. Killing myself in order to start over after reaching a dead end frustrated me, so I just made a save state at the beginning of the great palace. It's all cool because continuing after game overing starts you at the beginning of the great palace, so all I did was save myself time.

>>3191580
It's more like a triangle.
>>
File: LINK.jpg (85KB, 564x603px) Image search: [Google]
LINK.jpg
85KB, 564x603px
>>3191606
Not really; you see, there's such thing as Ice Cream Cake, which *is* Cake, yet Ice Cream itself isn't. I wasn't suggesting OP's claim (>>3191431) isn't valid, just pointing out (>>3191547) the unnecessity of the phrasing, as a "Zelda game" is not the same thing as a "game with the word 'Zelda' in the title". It's the kind of phrasing that could suggest criteria specific to the main series was applied to arrive at this conclusion, while it's obvious one perfectly valid, but obviously broader and pertinent to a bigger range of games was actually employed.

Still, I'm sure I'm an autistic Sanic cuck (pacha-edit.jpg), so it's cool and you totally got me and I'll get to the killing of myself ASAP
>>
>>3191659

> you totally got me and I'll get to the killing of myself ASAP

Woot! It finally worked!
>>
File: exclusive.jpg (157KB, 1426x510px) Image search: [Google]
exclusive.jpg
157KB, 1426x510px
>>3191431 >>3191513 >>3191570 >>3191659

Only tangentially retro, but what would happen in yo/vr/ opinion if Nintendo released a new Zelda built around the AoL principles? (bleakish setting, stats-based, action-oriented, with a focus on resource management inside dungeons)

Most of the "Muh Changes" outrage usually comes from the kind of gamer that couldn't really ignore the precedent in the series, or complain about the increased ruthlessness and decasualization and lose face
>>
>>3191720
2D or 3D?
>>
I have beaten Links Awakening and the Original The Legend of Zelda, on the 3DS. Had a great time with both, 10/10 games. For TLOZ I googled the map that came with the manual as only help.
I also beat Link between Worlds on the 3DS.

But then I tried to play Wind Waker on the Wii U, and I gave up when the ocean became dangerous, and there were sharks and I had to use the gyroscopi motion controls to shoot them.
Also, I played Okami, which is considered a Zelda clone, on Wii for a couple of hours, and hated the controls and the neverending tutorial.

Could it be that 3D Zeldas are not my thing? Are the capcom handheld Zelda games good or lesser quality spin offs?
>>
>>3191731
He's visualizing a Souls inspired Zelda

>>3191720
I'd play it. They could call it The Adventure of Link 2
>>
>>3191513
psst....this isnt /v/
>>
>>3191659

>it's different from other zelda games, so it's not a zelda game!
>despite the fact that when it was released, there was only one other zelda game to compare it to!
>and also despite the fact that it's got more in common with the rest of the franchise than the first game does!

underage please go and stay go
>>
>>3191801
The Capcom Zelda games are great. Play them.

Also, obviously this is pretty controversial, but I consider the early 3D Zeldas to be decent. OoT is OK and MM is great. I recommend you at least try MM before giving up on 3D Zelda. Most of the later 3D Zelda games are garbage though

>>3191819
>He's visualizing a Souls inspired Zelda
Oh. I guess I'd play it then. Although Dark Souls is already basically Zelda II in 3D form.
>>
>>3191801

I would recommend playing the GCN version of Wind Waker (emulating or otherwise) because you don't have to put up with the motion control bullshit.

Also, you absolutely have to play the Capcom handheld Zelda games. Seasons/Ages and Awakening DX are considered some of the best in the franchise and definitely the pinnacle of 2D Zelda.
>>
>>3191864

Okay, you stupid fucking retard, here's a nicer version that will be easier to digest for your sensitive baby stomach.

"The implication that Zelda 2 isn't a Zelda game "just because it's different" doesn't make any sense, because when it was released, there was only one other Zelda game to compare it to. It could have just as easily been that the series would spawn more games in the same vein as Adventure of Link, but Nintendo went back to the top-down gameplay style of the original. This doesn't mean that the game wasn't well-received, at least by critics, because game review magazines of the time generally agreed it was a good title, it sold fairly well, and it stayed high in the fan popularity voting charts in Nintendo Power for a while after its release.

Additionally, with its large overworld and introduction of towns, as well as the concept of talking to NPCs to learn where to go and what to do, the game has more in common with its successors than the original Zelda. If either of the NES Zeldas were to be bashed for "not being a real Zelda game" (and to do so of any title in the franchise is fucking stupid), it would be the original, because it's got the least in common with any other title."

Now shut the fuck up and sit down "son."
>>
>>3191886
different anon, genuine question.

How do you think the series would have progressed if we got a second zelda on the snes that was in the same vein as Zelda 2?

Like if we got 1 and 2 on the NES top down and sidescroller and then on the snes we got two more zelda games another top down followed by a side scroller, do you think the series could have branched and we would have seen more sidescrollers? Sometimes it seems like we got stuck in topdown land because it just happened to be the gameplay choice for the snes debut.
>>
File: pants.jpg (25KB, 467x467px) Image search: [Google]
pants.jpg
25KB, 467x467px
>>3191851
>>3191886
Sorry I offended you, senpai. Here's a complimentary Zelda hat
>>
File: retard.png (6KB, 350x133px) Image search: [Google]
retard.png
6KB, 350x133px
>>3191898

>got so BTFO he deleted his original post

Stop responding, you fucking toddler.
>>
>>3191897

That's an interesting idea, but I don't think things would've changed that much. With the advent of 3D Zelda titles, I think either the basic top-down games or the sidescrollers would've gotten edged out.

I think the main thing that would change would be fan reception. If there had been just one more sidescrolling Zelda title, we wouldn't have anybody saying "hurr durr not a real Zelda game" and more people willing to give Adventure of Link a fair shot.
>>
File: anon.png (2KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
anon.png
2KB, 512x448px
>>3191886 >>3191901
In which I needlessly gave way to further non-discussion with one of the sides validating "points" by greentexting them? Why yes I did; but what the hey, this is pretty fascinating:

Now, my original distinction between a Zelda game and a Game In The Zelda Series is based on my perception of a series of gameplay principles that are either missing or explicitly subverted or replaced in literally only one of the entries. You do something similar, and choose to consider "towns and NPCs" a more defining link (dohohoho) between the games than: a single overarching basic set of gameplay rules for overworld, dungeons and peaceful areas + focus on movement and action in the axes parallel to the ground instead of (but eventually not excluding) the axis perpendicular to it as well + equippable items being the main source of direct abilities (i.e. a "customizable" action button or buttons) + basic health/magic power spoils system based on defeating enemies and searching environments + "concentric lock" design model for dungeons, as well as for the game as a whole + other less objective perceptions about the overall experience and required skillset

You seem to hold on pretty thoroughly to the babby-calling approach to debate, so I'm gonna say you understand the notion of time being linear, and you are hopefully aware we're "discussing" this in what we could generally label as "now" and not back when the game came out, when the choice between calling either both or neither of them "Zelda games" only leant towards the former because the latter would be, at that specific point in time, pretty darn silly.

But as soon as the third one came along, and from them on, it's as simple as asking anybody: "which one is different from the others?". Note it's not about the game being good or bad; it's not about excluding it from the series, or about considering it "worthy". It's about what *is* a "Zelda" after not 3, not 6 or 10, but more than a dozen entries
>>
File: Eiji-aonuma.jpg (59KB, 269x276px) Image search: [Google]
Eiji-aonuma.jpg
59KB, 269x276px
>>3192091
Those shitty famicom games not Zelda because they not puzzle games. Zelda is only puzzles.
>>
Try out Kick and Sword Master.
>>
>>3191856
Motion controls can be disabled in the remake. Also the new one has the fast sail.

Spoiler for not retro
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.