[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

After playing Oath in Felghana for a while I decided to try

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

File: Untitled.jpg (203KB, 865x728px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
203KB, 865x728px
After playing Oath in Felghana for a while I decided to try out the first two Ys games. I heard that the Turbo Grafx versions were the best so I got an emulator up and running and HOLY FUCKING SHIT THE SOUNDTRACK IS SO GOOD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38dR1YYulio&index=2&list=PL4DA8D77832E5F7C4

This game has more aesthetic than any JRPG I've ever played.
>>
File: Untitled.png (269KB, 869x726px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
269KB, 869x726px
Damn. that was a pretty easy first boss fight.
>>
Ys 1&2 have amazing soundtracks. As far as gameplay goes Ys 1 doesn't hold up too well but Ys 2 is still great.
>>
>>3188134
what makes Ys II so much better?
>>
>>3188140
you a ranged attack
>>
>>3188145
you get a ranged attack, i mean
>>
File: ysII_002.jpg (377KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ysII_002.jpg
377KB, 1280x720px
You heard right, the Turbo Grafx versions "were" the best, at least when it came to those available in the west.
If you love these games, you should check out Ys I & II Chronicles Plus versions, available at Steam, GOG and your local torrent site.
>>
You could also play the Windows remakes.
>>
>>3188140

It's better in literally every way.
>>
>>3188091
> has more aesthetic than any JRPG
I love me some Ys, but come on OP, Ys has never been a beautiful series. Have you ever played another JRPG?
>>
>>3188179
Original J-PC versions suffer way more from grinding because of a higher level cap (50, not 10 like in Ys I) and areas/bestiary that don't scale too well. In most other ways Ys II was an improvement, the Eternal/Complete/Chronicles version especially.

>>3188185
>never been beautiful
>not appreciating the intricate texturing and negative space in Complete
Even later games like Ys Origin have nice art direction. It doesn't matter whether they have the most impressive art, that's not a requirement for beauty.
>>
>>3188196
While Falcom has steadily improved over the course of their history, their games have never been visually stunning. To claim they top all other JRPGs is either hyperbole or insanity.
>>
>>3188206
>To claim they top all other JRPGs is either hyperbole or insanity.
But I never said that? I'm saying most Ys games (not counting inferior ports) look great because of smart visual style, often designed around technical constraints/inexperience. Tell me where I said they had the absolute best artists/graphics programmers. Brandish looks pretty good for a 1991 dungeon-crawler, the PC-98 version I mean, and Legend of Xanadu II's a looker also.
>>
File: dragonslayer-comparison-pc88.png (5KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
dragonslayer-comparison-pc88.png
5KB, 640x400px
>>3188206
Name a RPG that looked better than Dragon Slayer when it came out.
>>
>>3188210
Ah, my bad. must have misunderstood the bit about 'more aesthetic'. My bad, ESL and all that.
>>
>>3188217
Hydlide. OG Dragon Slayer is ugly as sin, while Xanadu the year after justifies its ugliness in context (exploring dusty, treacherous labyrinths).

>>3188220
Forgiven (also, I'm not the OP). If you want some cool late-2D-era Falcom art, load up a battle in Vantage Master Online (freeware) and play a bit to see the monster animations and backgrounds. Even a game like that from their low period can look great. And then you have Zwei!! and Brandish VT/4 which stand out.
>>
>>3188232
Hydlide didn't come out until months later.
>>
>>3188239
It was in development since at least summer of 1984, incubating and releasing independently of Dragon Slayer. There was an interview with programmer/creator Tokihiro Naito recently which explains more. Adventure games like Enix's Zarth were the more graphically impressive titles releasing that year anyway.
>>
>>3188239
Hydlide is objectivley the worst looking, playing, and sounding game of its day. Try again.
>>
>>3188256
Don't judge it based on the shitty FC/NES port. Hydlide is a lot better game than DS1.
>>
>>3188262
> Hydlide
> Better than Dark Souls 1
Pfft, check this joker.
>>
>>3188134
Y's 1 and 2 were originally suppose to be one long game anyway, but they split it up.
>>
File: Ys SMS end.jpg (39KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Ys SMS end.jpg
39KB, 720x540px
Only thing that's a bit of a shame is that the PCE 1&2 version doesn't have the Ys 1 ending song (The Morning Grow) because it goes from the final battle of 1 into the opening of 2.
It's a nice song. My first experience with Ys was on the Master System but it's good even on there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJMG5gVtvHo&t=36
>>
>>3188454
The soundtrack was initially made entirely with the limitations of the PC-88/PC-98 in mind. It just happened to still sound good outside those boundaries.
>>
>>3188464
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCNZpn5lBj0
>>
>>3188091
My favorite version of the game is the saturn port, its in japanese though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv_Zs2TYKvs
>>
>>3188174
Does the Chronicles version have anything over the Eternal version? I've only played the NES and Eternal versions of Ys I & II.
>>
>>3189175
new music and better graphics
>>
>>3189175
Chronicles was the PSP port of Complete (a combination of Eternal I and II) which was then ported back to Windows.
You get the choice between two sets of character CG and three different options for the music.
>>
>>3189180
>new music
Sweet, thanks!
>>
Ys Book I and II is one of the most enjoyable RPGs I have ever played because of its simplicity, music, and length. I've played a whole lot of RPGs in my time, even recent ones, and few soundtracks match the pure grooviness of those games.
>>
File: DSC_3359.jpg (402KB, 1920x1053px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3359.jpg
402KB, 1920x1053px
I wound up with the Complete version of I but the Eternal version of II, and never did learn what the specific differences between Eternal and Complete are.
>>
File: DSC_3360.jpg (414KB, 1920x1062px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3360.jpg
414KB, 1920x1062px
>>3190376
I'm pretty sure the reason I got Eternal for II was because it comes with a DVD of the Ys II OVA, and presumably Complete didn't.
I forgot this "Ys Special Collection" MIDI data disc was in there and am going to go play with that now.
>>
File: DSC_3362.jpg (324KB, 1480x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3362.jpg
324KB, 1480x1080px
>>3190382
Also this hardcover manual is spiffy.
>>
>>3188091
Palace of Destruction is GOAT.
>>
>>3189175
Just updated versions of the same game:
Eternal > Complete > Chronicles > Chronicles Plus

>>3190376
>and never did learn what the specific differences between Eternal and Complete are.
Some graphics were recolored, FMV intros were added, plus Windows support.
>>
How are the DS ports?
>>
>>3192938
Terrible. Don't even bother.
>>
>>3192938
>forced 3d shit
>thinking it might be 'good'
retard
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.