[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the best game in the Mario universe and why is it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 16

File: ProveMeWrong.gif (161KB, 500x347px) Image search: [Google]
ProveMeWrong.gif
161KB, 500x347px
Whats the best game in the Mario universe and why is it Yoshi's Island?
>>
You're opening a real can of worms here
>>
>>3187176
my body is ready
>>
The fact that threads like these cause such a shitstorm is just a testament to how great the series is. You can make a good argument that any one of the Mario games is the best, and it seems that almost every game has equal support, as opposed to Zelda where most fans back ALttP or OoT. Each game manages to have its own flavor that some love and some don't, which results in such diverse opinions on what the crown jewel truly is.

But seriously though, Super Mario 64 is the best.
>>
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario 64.

Those are the only Marios that should be featured on greatest games of all time lists. Everything else is just opinion.
I like Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros. 2 the best
>>
>>3187231
>as opposed to Zelda where most fans back ALttP or OoT.
Obn /vr/ at least, LoZ, AoL & LA are at least as much supported as LttP and more so than OoT.
>You can make a good argument that any one of the Mario games is the best
A bit of an exaggeration, though it's true in broad strokes. Everyone will have their favourites, and I'd wager that SMB 1 & SML 1 have less overall support than the other games, but there aren't really any bad or even mediocre games in the main series' retro titles.
>>
File: 20160426_152825~2.jpg (1MB, 1817x1346px) Image search: [Google]
20160426_152825~2.jpg
1MB, 1817x1346px
Damn real talk i'm gonna have to agree with op here.
Ain't gonna post a wall of text but yoshis at least has the best graphics of them all. Cant dispute that
>>
>>3187132
Yoshi's Island, Mario 64, 3 and World are must plays

and btw the Wario series is a literal treasure trove of good stages and ideas. Nintendo should focus on him again because if you can give Luigi a year, why not Wario?
>>
>>3187354
Wario is too underrated
>>
>>3187132
Go away Jon.
>>
>>3187572
>Jon
Who the fuck is Jon?
>>
>>3187354
Wario game feel and difficulty is closer to Kirby than Mario, which is why they're sent to fuck off to handhelds. Wario year would be a definite financial disaster, it takes AGES to start making that retarded calls
>>
It's SMB3 followed by World followed by SM64.
>>
I love yoshi's island, but the sfx2 is finicky (crap). Mine suddenly started bugging when the weather was hot. The 3d parts would not render properly, when I changed into a helicopter the game would freeze. After a while it stopped doing this and... well... it erased my save. Now it's working just fine.

By the way, my Mario RPG, same stupid chip, only works properly when the console is hot. I usually put star fox on, leave it for 5 minutes and put mario rpg. Seriously... Both carts look imaculate (and work just fine, apart for that) and the yoshi island bug, for what I saw is commom. People say yoshi island is hard, but to be honest, it's the old mario game that I don't know every part by heart. Every other game I can't tell the difficulty, because I know everything that I have to do.

By the way, my favorite mario game is mario world. I wanted to love yoshi island, but I don't, for those reasons.
>>
>>3187583
>Wario year would be a definite financial disaster, it takes AGES to start making that retarded calls
Financial disaster? All Nintendo would have to do is make a dedicated effort to throw Wario games up on a digital shop
>>
>>3187618
Pretty sure most of it is available already
>>
>>3187583
What we really need is a Waluigi year.

The poor guy doesn't get enough.. well... anything, really.
>>
>>3187609
So you damaged your carts, and that's the game's fault?
>>
>>3187354
>Yoshi's Island, Mario 64, 3 and World are must plays
Add SMB3 to that list and you have all of the best Mario games ever made.
>>
File: SuperMarioLand2Cover.jpg (3MB, 1482x1452px) Image search: [Google]
SuperMarioLand2Cover.jpg
3MB, 1482x1452px
Come at me
>>
SMB1, Mario Bros, or Donkey Kong

The other ones are for babies
>>
>>3187584
/thread

Fuck outta here OP.
>>
>>3188642
I will never understand the love this game gets. I didn't play it as a kid, so maybe that's it. I picked it up super cheap at Funcoland like 15 years ago, and it was pretty meh. It seems more like one of those lame, fan-made Flash Mario games that used to be all over Newgrounds.
>>
>>3187132
Yoshi's Island is the best Mario game because it's probably the only time when Miyamoto and his team from Nintendo EAD actually bothered to make something entirely different gameplay wise from the earlier games while still giving any familiarity with recurring enemies. Every stage has something else going for it and it can be very challenging if you want to get perfect scores in every stage.

The other mario games are also really good (yes, even Hotel Mario) but none of them actually really feels different. Sure, Super Mario 64 gave us the star structure and the option to collect more stars with some more room to fool around in but in hindsight it feels more like a blueprint to 3D collectathons like the Banjo games.
>>
>>3188770
I'll probably not be able to change your mind but you gotta consider the fact it got released in 1992, back when Newgrounds or Kongregate weren't even a thing yet. It's a short Mario game that fits well with the other ones but still has some distinctions like the bunny ears, some original enemy designs and the semi-megaman-like structure of worlds you can play in any order. I never was a Gameboy fan when I had it in the 90s but after giving it a real chance I realised why so many players enjoyed it and still do.
>>
>>3188795
That's more-or-less what I figured, but you're basically proving that most of the love for this game is because it was good "for a portable Mario", and not much else. It's outclassed by pretty much every other Mario game that was available at the same time or earlier. In a conversation about best Mario game, it shouldn't even bare mentioning.

>>3188785
This. It's a shame when I remember how hard people came down on this game back in the day for not ACTUALLY being Mario World 2. It proves that consumers are a boring lot, who would honestly prefer to buy the same thing over and over again. I suppose this is why we can't have nice things.
>>
File: image.png (152KB, 339x339px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
152KB, 339x339px
>>3188642
I love Mario Land 2, but the series only got better once Wario took over.
>>
>>3188770
>Funcoland
even being a retro gamer is old enough to be retro itself
>>
>>3189018
I always kick myself. I remember sorting through bins and bins of NES, SNES and Game Boy games that were all under 10 bucks. I should have stocked up.
>>
>>3187579
Jon Snow.
>>
>>3188770
>It seems more like one of those lame, fan-made Flash Mario games that used to be all over Newgrounds.
that's an odd opinion considering this predates that shit

did someone rack your brain with a cheese grater?
>>
anyone else fuck heavy with the music? damn YI was a masterpiece
https://youtu.be/oRxgYC5zrV4
>>
>>3188520
Waluigi doesn't deserve one. He was created by a third party as a slot filler in a tennis game.

It would be best if Nintendo disowned him, yet they refuse to.
>>
File: 1446265923981.jpg (269KB, 572x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1446265923981.jpg
269KB, 572x1024px
>>3187132
I've posted my take in a similar thread but I'll say it again. I really wanted to like this game but just couldn't. I loved all of the SMB's growing up (and of course still do) on the NES, but got a Sega when the next gen rolled around. Still got to play World at a friend's and loved it just as much as the others. Years later when I finally got my hands on YI I was so let down by it I didn't even finish it... still have never played 64

>>3188642
Ahh this got me through many church services and long car trips as a child. Not sure I'd put it at the top though.

Oh right the best Mario. It's close between 3 and World but I definitely nominate 3
>>
>>3189147
I had a similar experience with YI. I played SMBAS, SMW, and SM64 a lot as a kid and loved the shit out of every game, but when I tried YI for the first time a couple years ago, I just couldn't get into it. I'm really not sure why, but it just didn't grab me. What a shame, those graphics are gorgeous.

As for my favorite, it's a tough call between SMB2USA and SMW. I've always had a fondness for 2 for being something different. Playing as toad is so fun, and the grab mechanic is great and makes for awesome boss battles.
>>
Series always go like this

2 > 1 > 3 > 4 > 5 etc...
>>
>>3187583
>this post
>"game feel"
Go back to /v/ for a few years.
>>
>>3189545
"Game feel" was supposed to encompass physics and gameplay but I guess that could've been written out more explicitly. I can't go "back" to /v/ because I didn't come from there in the first place, sorry bud.
>>
>>3189101
best track starts at 16:15
>>
>>3191286
>Wario physics and gameplays feel similar to Kirby physics and gameplay
Well sure, if you're delusional, or if you stretch the definition of "similar gameplay/physics" to an extent to which all platforming games could be described as such.
>>
>>3189439
Because the 1st one is well received enough for a sequel, so in the 2nd one they add new features and refine old ones but for the 3rd one they start to run out of ideas and need to shoehorn in new features and gimmicks to avoid it becoming stale. By the time of the 4th or 5th one they're circling the drain trying to come up with new shit that works
>>
>>3187132
Mario universe? So that includes Donkey Kong Country and Super Wario Land?
>>
>>3191504
Yeah, but there isn't any DK game much less wario that has a shot
>>
File: donkeybong.jpg (128KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
donkeybong.jpg
128KB, 640x480px
>>
Super Mario World
Unless we talking /v/ not /vr/ because Sunshine is beast
>>
>>3191941
Donkey Kong Country/2 > Super Mario World desu famalam
>>
>>3187271
This guy gets it
>>
>>3192453
This.
DKC2 > SMW = WL3
>>
>>3192408
Every time I see this game, I marvel at how people ever thought that it looked revolutionary.
>>
>>3192625
Looks a lot better in motion and on a CRT. Besides, pre-rendered 3d graphics on video games was something pretty innovative when it came out.
>>
>>3192646
>Looks a lot better in motion and on a CRT

Looks boring as fuck in motion because the gameplay is meh.

>pre-rendered 3d graphics on video games was something pretty innovative when it came out.

The only thing it innovated was how to make a game look like ass. All 90s CGI looks like shit, period.
>>
>>3192665
you're very soft
>>
Yoshis island is a graphical masterpiece. Amazing title.
>>
>>3192665
ITT: Contrarian faggots.
>>
>>3192625
I marvel at how there are faglords out there who can't appreciate its perfect aesthetics.

>>3192440
>Sunshine is beast
Beast indeed. The only mainline Mario game that sucks.
>>
>>3192832
>People who don't like the Donkey Kong game I like are stupid
>The Mario I don't like is absolute garbage
Hello everything wrong with this board.
>>
File: dkbox.jpg (103KB, 640x626px) Image search: [Google]
dkbox.jpg
103KB, 640x626px
>>3188642
No, come at me
>>
>>3192625
>I didnt like it, so no one should like
>>3192665
>my shitty tastes are facts
Hello everything wrong with this board.
>>
>>3187132
Yoshi's Island is meh.
>>
>>3188642
MY NIGGA
>>
File: SMW2_SluggytheUnshaven.jpg (8KB, 200x148px) Image search: [Google]
SMW2_SluggytheUnshaven.jpg
8KB, 200x148px
So what WAS the deal with this guy?
>>
File: YjbNeAP.jpg (254KB, 990x1004px) Image search: [Google]
YjbNeAP.jpg
254KB, 990x1004px
>>3187271
>No World
>No Yoshis island
Not including those 2 makes your opinion totally invalid buddy.
I won't argue on the merits of galaxy 1/2 either because I refuse to play them due to the wii mote being a requirement.
>>
>>3195242
Came here to post this.
>>
SMB3. But Yoshi's still fantastic.
>>
>>3198842
He was a slug and he didn't shave.
>>
>>3199693

But why is his heart hairy?

how do you shave your heart?
>>
>>3187609
Mario RPG uses the SA-1 which is a lot more finnicky than the SFX 2.
>>
>>3199696
>But why is his heart hairy?
Obviously it's because he doesn't shave.
>how do you shave your heart?
Well that's probably part of the reason why it's unshaven.
>>
>>3188627
>the city of your reading comprehension
>>
File: dksuper.png (153KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
dksuper.png
153KB, 500x438px
>>3195242
loved this game, especially that fucking Super Game Boy extra shit!
>>
>>3199696

It might be a reference to this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fllf-WMB0hY

The chorus part says

>As I cuddled the porcupine
>He said I had none to blame, but me.
>Held my heart, deep in hair,
>Time to shave, shave it off, it off.

I can't think of anywhere else where I've heard of the concept of a "hairy heart".
>>
Am I alone here in that I just don't care for Yoshi's Island? Felt super easy and short as fuck.
>>
>>3199932
There's a general consensus that it is an easy game, but short? It felt extremely overextended to me to the point that I got really bored before I finished it. Still a very fun game, though.
>>
>>3187231

>as opposed to Zelda where most fans back ALttP or OoT

Maybe this was true back in 1999 but definitely not now. It's pretty contentious even if OoT is better than MM, and there are lots of people who will throw support for lots of other games (WW, LA, even some of the newer ones).
>>
Why would anyone play a mario game for its difficulty?
>>
File: KameksRevenge.png (7KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
KameksRevenge.png
7KB, 256x224px
>>3199932

Wouldn't say it's super easy, but it isn't a super hard as nails game, no.
I think it definitely isn't a short game, for a 90s platforming game at least.

I think the game is well balanced between being fun for people who don't care for score, and those who do. I played the game when it came out as a kid and loved it even though I didn't care for the scores, I think I only unlocked the first extra stage. Later on I replayed the game as an adult and enjoyed the fuck out of completing every level with a perfect score and playing the new extra levels, earning perfect score in them as well.
Going for perfect score requires a deeper examination of every level and a better skill level to perform certain actions, it feels a lot more rewarding than beating the game without caring for score.
But still both ways of playing the game were fine to me.

>>3199978
For some people, Mario games (or platformers in general) can be hard.
>>
>>3199932
I'm pretty sure it has what has become the Mario standard technique in terms of difficulty: the regular levels are easy, but harder when you go for 100% and the extra/secret levels are even harder. I think this is a good technique since it allows everyone to see the ending to the game but has some extra challenge available for those who want it.
>>
>>3199978
The original Japanese Mario Bros 2 is quite difficult, and Mario Bros games in general (on the NES) offer a fair amount of challenge.
>>
>>3199932
>Am I alone here in that I just don't care for Yoshi's Island? Felt super easy and short as fuck.

Every single Mario game starting from the SNES has been stupid easy as fuck, since they were all designed with children in mind.

Back when I was in single digit age, Yoshi's Island and SMW were both fun as hell and challenging. But when I played them in my teens, SMW was more of a chore and not something I enjoyed much - it was too easy. Yoshi's Island at least still had the 100% challenge, which made levels that much more difficult. And it had the better boss fights, more beautiful graphics, and better music (SMW had the most baller castle theme though).
>>
>>3200395
I beat SMB2J warpless in a 3 hour sitting the first time I played. It wasn't hard, just took a bit of trial and error. Mario games were never hard. I prefer the more mechanically complex mario games like Yoshi's Island and Super Mario 64, because at least they have a decently high skill ceiling and plenty of replay value.
>>3200406
They were easy on NES too.
>>
File: triggered.gif (1MB, 371x209px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.gif
1MB, 371x209px
>>3187132

>Listening to that little shit whine

Nah, if I wanted to hear crying kids I'd go eat at Mc Donalds.
>>
>>3200557
He won't cry if you don't suck balls.
>>
File: surprise.gif (2MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
surprise.gif
2MB, 300x300px
>>3200564

>implying you never lost him off Yoshi even once.

Fuck off dude. I play games to have fun, listening to a kid crying during a game (even infrequently) is enough for me not to play the game. I have beaten Yoshi's Island, I think it's an ok game. However I won't replay it because I simply find baby mario's cry to be too annoying.
>>
>>3187132
>best game in the Mario universe
>Yoshi's Island
How horrifying.
>>
>>3200049
That level and extra 3 were hell for me when I did my first hundo playthrough of that game. God, just seeing that image reminds me of all the times I died in it.
>>
File: 18vobkbl71hjhpng.png (223KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
18vobkbl71hjhpng.png
223KB, 640x360px
Nothing better Mario related.

Best Mario game ever.
>>
>>3201057
thats final fantasy babby edition
>>
File: ss_smrpg_13.gif (17KB, 256x223px) Image search: [Google]
ss_smrpg_13.gif
17KB, 256x223px
>>3201058
Actually, believe it or not, it's Super Mario RPG.

>Di-did you know there are other turn based RPGs?
>>
File: This Is Awesome.gif (60KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
This Is Awesome.gif
60KB, 500x500px
>>3201057
>Best Mario game ever.
I want to disagree. I really do. But I can't.
>>
>>3201070
That a pretty gay name you've chosen there, but you're right. You can't disagree that this is the best Mario game.
>>
>>3198886
World didn't really pioneer anything new at the time (needed the rom hack scene to unlock it's true potential) and felt like a step down from 3. Island sure looks pretty, but there are so many better platformers on the system and I'd play most other Mario games over it, including World.
>>
>>3200557
Most modern televisions have a mute function. If for whatever reason yours doesn't, try turning the volume all the way down.
>>
>>3201127
Yeah, that's such great game design, forcing a large portion of players to turn down the volume or outright mute it.
I don't hate the game, but it's one of the reasons why I've only played it once.
>>
>>3201472

I think the idea isn't that you turn down the volume, but that you don't get hit
>>
>>3189439
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Crash Bandicoot
Metal Gear Solid
Tony Hawks Pro Skater
>>
>>3201472
Well, you only have to turn it down if you're a sensitive little bitch who can't handle abrasive sounds.

That said, if you do turn it down, playing games without volume isn't a big deal either. Just throw on some music you like.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.