[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never played this game...mainly because I've always

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 13

File: 2831952-super_metroid_cover.jpg (3MB, 2100x1536px) Image search: [Google]
2831952-super_metroid_cover.jpg
3MB, 2100x1536px
I've never played this game...mainly because I've always been under the impression that it's a strategy guide game, aka a game you pretty much NEED a guide for if you wanna make progress

Have I been wrong all this time?
>>
>>3177827
To make Metroid crawl you have to press down twice

That's the only artificial difficulty in the game honestly
>>
What the fuck? One of the main things people bring up when praising it is how well it guides the player with its level design.
>>
File: Super Metroid - Maridia.png (130KB, 384x334px) Image search: [Google]
Super Metroid - Maridia.png
130KB, 384x334px
Completing Super Metroid without a guide is very possible. (I did.) It will just take you longer. But that's part of the fun.

Exploration is a big part of what makes Super Metroid great, so I would only use a guide if I absolutely had to.

Cheat if you want, but don't cheat yourself out of experiencing one of the finest Super NES games in all its unspoiled glory.
>>
I played the first one and I didn't like it.

>Huge world to explore
>Have fun looking around and finding your way
>In the end
>Oh, sorry, stupid idiot, but it was timed. Teehee. You don't get the best ending.

Fuck that shit. Don't give me a huge world to explore if there are time constraints.

I never even bothered with Super Metroid.
>>
I only played it for the first time a year ago. I referenced a guide maybe two or three times tops but I'm glad I did in those cases because it would've taken me hours to figure out on my own.
>>
File: Metroid - Ending.gif (7KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid - Ending.gif
7KB, 512x480px
>>3177889
>Game was timed, so you don't get the best ending.
Yes, but don't you think that encourages and gives reason to play the game, again? So you can see the better ending?
>>
>>3177827
2 words

x-ray scope
>>
>>3177903
Holy shit, best thing about the game.
>>
>>3177827
That's not how Nintendo designs games. They basically play the game for you nowadays, but even back then they were good about telling you what you need to do.
>>
I remember I looked up a guide only once on my first play through. It really isn't all that confusing. When you have no idea what to do, shoot and bomb everything. Health and ammo come very easily, so don't feel bad about wasting it.
>>
not really that hard. i use a strategy guide maybe once when i replay it each time, but its basically explore what you havent made pink on your map or come back when you have the item. it isn't too difficult. Its a fair and balanced game in every way.
>>
>>3177827
the only time you need a guide is if you fall down the shitter pit and save instead of killing yourself
in that case, enjoy learning to wall jump
otherwise you will never need one as long as you have a 3 digit iq
or 100%ing, you might need a guide for that

>>3177889
I detect some insincerity
>>
It's not necessary. At most you may google here and there. It's a fun game, play it.
>>
>>3177908
>They basically play the game for you nowadays, but even back then they were good about telling you what you need to do.
Yeah man, those unmarked walls and bushes in Zelda 1 were really easy to find. Bombing every square in Hyrule was a very enjoyable experience!

Anyway, Super Metroid is a great game that is easily beatable without a guide, just expect at least one "where the fuck do I go/what the fuck do I do" moment. The way I play games is that I'll play without a guide until I get stuck, use at least a half an hour trying to get unstuck and if I can't figure it out I'll just look it up. Then I'll proceed to feel like an idiot or wonder how anyone was supposed to beat this game without a guide, one of the two.
>>
I beat Metroid II without using a guide when I was a teenager, and that game doesn't have an in-game map like Super Metroid.

Super Metroid is very doable without a guide.
>>
>>3177827
You're wrong. It's easy as fuck.
>>
the only places you might get stuck are at the collapsing bridge you need to run across and the maridia tube

generally a well designed game
>>
I looked up a guide for that crumbling bridge, didn't know you could sprint at the time
>>
don't use a guide
>>
>>3178137
>>3178214
OP here, playing and enjoying....literally the reason I just stopped playing to check lol, I already had one part like that so I just went on to another area but now I got stuck at one
>>
>>3177873
Is it "artificial difficulty"? I'll admit it took me a bit of fiddling to discover it but it seems more out of necessity, seeing as there's a crouch function too.

>>3177889
>I never even bothered with Super Metroid.
It was the first one I played and I loved it. The first one isn't very good though.
>>
Wall jumping is hard as shit in this game, jesus christ
>>
>>3178349
i beat it like 3 times without being able to do it at all
>>
>>3178349
Lol. I knew someone who literally gave up the game after getting stuck in that deep hole where the only way out was wall-jumping.
>>
>>3177827
Between the map and the xray scope, you don't need a guide for anything.
>>
>>3178363
>where the only way out was wall-jumping
surely you're not talking about the deep hole where you learn the shinespark from the little creature? you never absolutely need to wall-jump
>>
File: secrets_shinespark.gif (31KB, 512x446px) Image search: [Google]
secrets_shinespark.gif
31KB, 512x446px
>>3178485
>>
No guide necessary
>>
>>3178485
he's talking about the other animals plebe
>>
>>3178485
>>3178548
Yeah the other hole, where the animal demonstrates wall jumping. Maybe you don't need to do it but that was the place and he did give up because of it.
>>
File: 1461974633264.png (228KB, 358x408px) Image search: [Google]
1461974633264.png
228KB, 358x408px
>>3178349
>wall jumping is hard
>>
>>3178543
Part of the fun is the exploring and figuring it out by yourself, using a guide its almost as bad as watching a walktrough on youtube.

People nowadays are to used to modern "games" that are fucking interactive movies.
>>
>>3178349
This. It's the only thing I had to look up on the internet (I only bothered playing Super Metroid not too long ago for some reason, no idea why I didn't play it earlier) because I couldn't figure out how to do it. Once you get the hang of it it's fine, but jesus is it long.
>>
>>3178349
It's not hard, it's hard to learn

Like, incredibly hard to learn

I can't recall any other technique in any other videogame that's so hard to get a grip on but once you really do you can probably pull it off with no problems. Bunnyhopping is babby tier compared to it.
>>
The game was a pioneer for exploration.

Not once does it TELL you what to do or where to go, the level design will mostly guide you through the game. Having a map and the x-ray visor helps.

The game also spits health and ammo drops from enemies at a constant rate, so really, the only difficulty is on the player's ability to learn and git gud.

>>3178774
Wall-jumping was not the easiest technique for me personally, but come to find out there are MUCH harder techniques that aren't required but still helpful in some way. Honestly, I just started playing again last week, and wall-jumping came so naturally.
>>
>>3177889
It's meant as a tease for you to play the game again. No one expects you to get the best ending in your first run.
>>
>>3178797
>wall-jumping came so naturally.

Once you know how it works it's very easy. The first dozens of tries were pretty frustrating for me. It's the bicycling of video games.
>>
>>3178774
>>3178797
Seriously. If you think wall-jumping is hard, try bomb-jumping.
>>
>>3178814
>wall-jumping is the bicycling of video games

I couldn't have said it better myself.
>>
>>3178814
>It's the bicycling of video games.

Yup, that sums it up.
>>
>>3178003
They're pretty easy to find once you realize there's on per screen and pretty obviously placed. And dungeons have hidden walls in the same spots, it's a gamble to find one, adds some tension. If you aren't a retarded faggot such as yourself, that is.
>>
>>3178774
I picked up wall jumping way faster than I picked up bhopping.

Don't know how it worked in quake or whatever games it originated in, but in TFC it took me a month just to learn how to do it. And that was with a jump;wait script. Took me months after that slowly taking out some jump;waits to finally get to where I could manage and finally perfectly time my jumps with the default +jump bind. Then _special and bhop.dll came out and made it so every casual could do it. Used to be one of those things that seperated the top tier of players from the really good ones, then it was simplified to just holding down a button.

Sorry for the potential derail, its just not very often I see a term like bunnyhopping get mentioned outside of my dead/dying online gaming community.
>>
>>3178886
I think I picked up bhopping faster than wall jumping.
>>
All you people complaining about wall jumping need to infinite diagonal bomb jump over here and fite me because that shit is way harder.
>>
>>3178774
Makes me feel impressed with myself. I didn't play this game a s child because I honestly thought it looked too hard. When I played it at the age of 12 or 13 I used a walkthrough a little as first but it quickly became more confusing than just exploring. I began speedbreaking on my first playthrough thinking I had to do it because expectations over the years built it up to be hardcore. I got the power bombs early by wall jumping up from Brinstar's red room to Criteria. I honestly thought you were required to do bullshit like that.
>>
You just have to not be retarded, no guide required.
>>
Super Metroid is one of the greatest games I have ever played! Bonus for an amazing soundtrack!
>>
super metroid has one of the greatest overall environments (design, soundtrack) of any game i've ever played.

there are a few moments where it's tricky to figure out what to do next but just run around and shoot/bomb shit and check your map for grey areas you used to not be able to reach.
>>
>>3177827
Exploring is part of the experience. It's what the whole game is built around.
>>
>>3177827
>Have I been wrong all this time?
Yes
>>3178349
Only if you're emulating it incorrectly or using a laggy screen... or both.
>>
>>3177873
>To make Metroid crawl you have to press down twice

>Metroid

really?
>>
>>3179515
Psssht, you're showing your newness.
>>
File: super_golden_girls.jpg (166KB, 512x446px) Image search: [Google]
super_golden_girls.jpg
166KB, 512x446px
>>3178797
>Not once does it TELL you what to do or where to go
That's one thing that annoys me about Prime. I was in the middle of fighting 2 Chozo ghosts yesterday and that shit comes up on my HUD "Unusual whatever detected at some fucking place you were on your way to anyway"...
>>
>>3180646
I don't remember what the default state was but you could turn those hints in MP off, which is not an argument by itself but the game, just like SM, was definitely designed to be played without them.
So I don't really mind its existence, unlike modern design where you get for example quest markers which you can turn off but the developers obviously didn't give a shit how it plays without them, no environmental context, no thought out level design, NPC/lore/dialogue clues, etc.
>>
>>3180646
Well, you can turn these off, thank lord.
>>
>>3177827
Snes art looks so much better without the shit around it
>>
>>3178858
>They're pretty easy to find once you realize there's on per screen
No
>and pretty obviously placed.
Also no

>And dungeons have hidden walls in the same spots, it's a gamble to find one, adds some tension.
This I agree with, but the thing is there that they are always in the same spots. With the overworld there are literally no indicators.
>If you aren't a retarded faggot such as yourself, that is.
I don't enjoy bombing every square and burning every bush so I'm a retarded faggot? Face it, the overworld in Zelda 1 has design problems.
>>
>>3181123
>I don't enjoy bombing every square and burning every bush so I'm a retarded faggot?
Why would you do that

Look at the map in the manual
>>
For me I think there was only a couple times where I had to look up in a guide to see what the fuck to do. I think power bombing the water tunnel entrance to Meridia was one of them, and figuring out that weird super run/jump corridor thing was another.
>>
>>3177827
you don't need a guide but since it's 2016 you should watch a walkthrough or at least download a map. i'd suggest a map so you can find things but still have some surprises.
>>
Super Metroid is so easy that a guide isn't necessary.
>>
>>3178349
Wall jumping is just unintuitive, especially if you're coming off of Mega Man X.

Mega Man X's walljumping is absolutely sublime and intuitive as fuck.
>>
>>3177873
Fuck off reddit

>>3179521
pssst you're showing your faggotry.
>>
>>3179435
>memes
Superb
>>
File: metroid3_map.gif (132KB, 1097x1120px) Image search: [Google]
metroid3_map.gif
132KB, 1097x1120px
here you go OP. all you need.
>>
>>3182825

Mega Man X and Super Metroid are my favorite SNES games

I never had a problem walljumping in Super Metroid. I seriously don't understand you its almost like you expect it to work like in Mega Man X. Just time your bounce off the wall. That simple.
>>
File: 1462078274622.gif (363KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1462078274622.gif
363KB, 500x384px
>>3182826
Too late, fuckboy.
>>
File: xW2jQMe.jpg (303KB, 1608x1796px) Image search: [Google]
xW2jQMe.jpg
303KB, 1608x1796px
>>3179515
Read the last one.
>>
File: 3420512.png (74KB, 250x218px) Image search: [Google]
3420512.png
74KB, 250x218px
>>3183993
It's easy to ridicule that kid, but didn't we all have such situations at one time or another? We're just fortunate enough there wasn't an internet where we can blurt our dumbness into the world.

I admit it that I had problems with pic related. I was completely oblivious to the sprint button.
>>
>>3182946
Walljumping in Super Metroid isn't hard, it's just not intuitive. You jump at an angle to start spinning, hit a wall, press the opposite direction from the wall you just hit, then immediately press the jump button. It takes practice before you can do it consistently, but it's still more steps than walljumping in Mega Man X. In MMX, all you really do is jump at a wall and press jump again.

The key difference between the two games is that Mega Man X goes out of its way to show you walljumping through normal gameplay on the first stage. Super Metroid only shows you walljumping in normal gameplay if you choose to use a power bomb in upper Brinstar and manage to find yourself in that long shaft. Even then, watching the animals wall jump doesn't necessarily mean a new player will grasp the mechanics of walljumping quickly.

Both ways work, I just think MMX's approach is the more elegant approach.
>>
>>3183993
Tbh to someone who isn't used to playing a lot of retro games, it might seem like every pit that goes offscreen in a 2d platformer is a deathpit - since that's how it works in Shovel Knight, New Super Mario games, and DKC Returns games - most likely only 2D platformers these kids played.

>>3184025
... I actually got stuck in this room for over an hour, assuming it must be a puzzle that I'm just too dumb to get, until when taking a break from banging my head against this proverbial wall I started texting with my gf and she told me what to do - the thing is, I played Fusion, Zero Mission, Metroid and Metroid 2 before playing Super Metroid, so it never occured to me that there COULD be a sprint button because no Metroid game before or after it had one.
>>
>>3178349
It's just a bit fidgety to figure out, but it's easy to do.

Also I hope you're using a gamepad, walljumping with a keyboard is more than a little clunky.
>>
>>3183993
I had all this problems and I didn't google shit nor I whined online, I kept exploring and pushing buttons, figured it out within minutes.

They are sad not because they got stuck, but because they got zero imagination and resolve to play a game.
>>
completed it without a guide last year

my problems were 3 and very small

1)there is an inconsistency, as in, the x ray beam shows all the secret holes in the walls, except one (I wont mention where to not spoil it for op), you eventually find it by process of elimination, but it shouldnt be that way.

2) it is one of the games with the hardest wall jumping, it will take you time to figure out how to do it consistently.

3)one power up is reached by a monster who destroyes terrain for you, I killed the monster when entering the room while spamming the shoot button (it respawns, but I didnt understand what the room was for).

4)
>>
>>3186571
>3)one power up is reached by a monster who destroyes terrain for you, I killed the monster when entering the room while spamming the shoot button (it respawns, but I didnt understand what the room was for).
Yeah I think it was on my third play through the penny finally dropped about that.
>>
File: images.png (25KB, 410x359px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
25KB, 410x359px
>>3178818
This. I once managed to bomb jump up into pic related before getting the high jump boots. Then I realized you can just make the jump if you wall jump off the edge in front of samus in the pic. Fuck bomb jumping though.
>>
>>3186629
There are some bomb jump bits on that main area on Crateria where your ship lands. I got to one once but most of the time I can't be bothered.
>>
File: ZeroMissionShine.webm (3MB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
ZeroMissionShine.webm
3MB, 240x160px
>>3178349
>play the game on PC and Wii Emulation
>wall jumping pretty easy
>later play it for the first time on the SNES with a CRT with less if any lag
>wall jumping much more difficult
??????
>>
File: Wall Kicks Will Work.webm (600KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Wall Kicks Will Work.webm
600KB, 256x224px
Plugging for Redesign, the best Super Metroid Romhack, perhaps the best Metroid game/hack ever.
Even though it is complete bullshit at times.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.