[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did sega abandon all their IPs for sonic? I mean I understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 2

File: alex kidd.gif (18KB, 500x576px) Image search: [Google]
alex kidd.gif
18KB, 500x576px
Why did sega abandon all their IPs for sonic? I mean I understand sonic was supposed to be their juggernaut like Mario was, and I could be talking out of my ass here, but for example when zelda, kirby, or pokemon got big nintendo didn't give up on mario and their other IPs so whyd did sega? also pic related
>>
>Why did sega abandon all their IPs for sonic?
Probably a combination of multiple devs leaving, lost of funds, and lack of a playerbase/interest.

Pretty much no modern gamer can name more than 5 SEGA IPs. More than 10 definitely not.
>>
>>3161751
cause sega has shitty management since the 90s I love Sega but it'd be ridiculous not to recognize their cons. Also they don't reach the expectations Sega wants so they don't use them anymore.
>>
>>3161758
Well true but it didn't have to be that way if Sega had actually kept them going and actually gave a shit.
>>
>>3161759
Well yeah, but I mean even in the 90s if they had kept things like alex kidd, fantasy zone, or streets of rage going I'm sure that after the advent of sonic people would have played sega's other games.
>>
Was Alex kidd even popular or liked?
Never did I know anyone in my friendzone who had AK games sans 1 kid. And honestly, the jankenpo game is pretty fucking dumb.
>>
>>3161758
"Modern gamer" here.

Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Kid Chameleon, Altered Beast, Chu Chu Rocket, Columns, Nights, Shenmue, Shinobi, Skies of Arcadia, Puyo Puyo (and by extention Madou Monogatari), ToeJam and Earl, Vectorman, the entire Virtua franchise, Yakuza, Monaco Grand Prix, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, House of the Dead, and Daytona USA.

Stop crying like a faggot and jumping at shadows in fear of your "modern gamer" bogeyman.
>>
>>3161793
SEGA's devs did their best up to DC. That's when you started getting SEGA games that were garbage. The myriad of SEGA made sports titles on the DC shows it.
>>
>>3161816
>Stop crying like a faggot
Continuing to prove the point that underageb& should stay in /v/.
>>
>>3161817
well when I aid gave a shit I mean about their IPs.
>>
>>3161817
But the sports arcades on DC are great. Way better than EA stuff.
>>
>>3161806
Well I know in europe he was moderately popular, but in america he wasn't because sega wasn't popular until around genesis/mega drive... and even then it took sonic to push the console, however that would have been the best time for sega to use the IP and they did nothing. also yes the janken was dumb but it's only in like two games, and in the first one it wasn't even that intrusive.
>>
>>3161828
>>3161837
There's like 5 or 7 fucking NBA games on the DC made by SEGA. It's pretty clear SEGA was giving up. Going for easy console money.
>>
because sega is shit
>>
>>3161843
yeah, but that's not my point I meant that when sonic came out on the genesis that would have been the time to continue their other IPs as well to have some support if sonic crashed, but they didn't.
>>
>>3161827
You must be new to 4chan
>>
>>3161851
I'd make the argument that they instead went and made brand new IPs with the Saturn. Many people including myself happen to love those later Saturn IPs.
>>
>>3161856
you must be new to /vr/
>>
>>3161856
>I've been on 4chan all summer guis
Why do you shits come into /vr/?
>>
>>3161858
Well yes, fair point, but going back to the nintendo example, over the years nintendo has produced numerous IPs alongside their already popular ones and saw success, so if sega actually had given a shit they could have kept those IPs going alongside sonic and even the saturn IPs. plus if sega had kept things like Alex Kidd or Streets of rage going to the time the saturn was around, they might have had a better grasp on the market and the lack of a proper sonic game on saturn might not have hurt as much. then again lack of sonic, or IPs in general wasn't the saturn's main problem but I digress.
>>
>>3161876
No game was going to save the Saturn. SEGA fucked themselves with the 32x. Stores didn't carry Saturn stuff.
I had a 32x box from KB toys. You know what the price sticker on it was? The first one said $149.99. The one on top said $15... SEGA could not had fucked up harder with the 32x and people really underestimate how big a fuck up it was.

I think it's unfair to compare Nintendo IPs to SEGA IPs and say one should had done what the other did. Different marketing strategies.
>>
>>3161889
Yes, I know that the 32X was a mistake, that's why I said that lack of IPs wasn't the saturn's biggest problem. The other problems of course being the 32X and releasing the saturn too early. However I have to disagree and say that while yes they are different marketing strategies, I feel like Sega still could have put some effort into keeping their IPs alive.
>>
File: i believe.jpg (211KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
i believe.jpg
211KB, 1920x1080px
I BELIEVE!!

That the 32X and lack of coordination between Japan and America's Headquarters that flubbed the Saturn's launch was what ruined SEGA.
>>
>>3161816
Madou Monogatari was Compile. Although Puyo Puyo was purchased and given to Sonic Team when Compile died. So it's technically not a Sega franchise even if they own it.

Personally I hate how Sonic Team handles the franchise. The games feel so much lazier since they took it from Compile, and of course ended up in a gacha-based-mobile-freemium thing, the killing blow to every long-lasting game series.
>>
>>3161930
It was but lack of IPs had to have also been a hinderance, like if the Saturn had released on schedule and Sega had kept things like Alex Kidd, Fantasy Zone, Streets of Rage, or even Wonder boy alive the lack of sonic on the Saturn wouldn't have been that big a problem.
>>
>>3161938
yeah, I would've also loved another Madou Monogatari game... although I'd have to disagree in that Puyo Puyo and madou monogatari always were sort of sega oriented and the fact sega now owns the properties just confirms it.
>>
>>3161915
Nintendo's strategy is to rely on anchor games.
SEGA's money was in the arcade and exceedingly expensive and huge new IPs.
>>
>>3161949
that's true, but that doesn't really say if those strategies work or not, and that goes for both.
>>
>>3161959
Depends on the IPs and other factors.

Like how badly Nintendo is fucking people over with the Wii U atm. I'm in the boat of peaple that bought the Wii U for Zelda U. If that game is a multi generation release like TP I'll be pretty pissed off to say the least.
>>
>>3161758
Sonic, NiGHTs, Golden Axe, Jet Set Radio, House of the Dead, Total Wat, Ristar, Shenmue, Streets of Rage, Alex Kidd.
fite me
>>
>>3161967
That's true, but at the time of NES/SNES/N64 they knew how to properly use their IPs, while from what I can tell Sega really didn't, they just did whatever and hoped it worked.
>>
>>3161758
Sonic, Golden Axe, Ristar, Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star Online, Jet Set, Nights into Dreams, Space Channel, Alex Kidd, Monkey Ball, Shinobi
>>
>>3162050
I'm glad SEGA did that. My favorite games from SEGA are on the Saturn. NiGHTS and Burning Rangers being my 2 top ones.
>>
>>3162054
>>3162019
>>3161816
>check my googled list

No one cares.
>>
>>3161758
1.NiGHTS 2.Burning Rangers 3.Ecco 4.Toe jam n earl 5. Outrun 6. Space Harrier 7. Afterburner 8. Shinobi 9. Astal 10. Legend of oasis 11. Vectorman 12. Altered beast 13. Shining series 14. Phantasy Star 15. Clockwork knight 16. Bug! 17. Streets of rage 18. Hang-on 19. Golden axe 20. Columns

Here's 20 from the top of my head
>>
>>3161816
>Altered Beast
Man do I love this game. It makes my heart sink knowing they irredeemably buried the series with that PS2 game. What a shame.
>>
>>3162072
Check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYtyBuBNmr0
>>
>>3162056
those probably still would have existed though, I mean it's not like they'd abandon ever doing that just because alex kidd exists.
>>
>>3162089
I disagree. Those games took a massive amount of effort from SEGA.
>>
>>3162093
They did but sega's franchises are so varied that nights, or burning rangers could very well have existed alongside alex kidd or streets of rage. it's just a question of managing which one gets more attention. the only series close to nights I can even think of is fantasy zone and that's a stretch and a fucking half.
>>
>>3162079
That's great! Never heard of this until now. Thanks anon. Really appreciate it.
>Konami
Oh and here's another company that buried other series I love. Goemon and crew will be attending pachinko machines for the rest of their careers.
>>
>>3162097
Considering games like SONIC R got released. I think the dev teams were stretched thin.
>>
>>3162103
Well yeah but this is assuming they had other IPs to rely on so sonic R might not have existed to begin with.
>>
>>3162059
>including properties not created by Sega
You sure are knowledgeable!
>>
>>3161751
>but for example when zelda, kirby, or pokemon got big nintendo didn't give up on mario and their other IPs so whyd did sega?
kirby-hal labs
pokemon-gamefreak
it's kind of telling right there, Nintendo has plenty of more IPs that we saw over time but we never saw the same amount of saturation as we did with Sonic which was obvious they put all their eggs in one basket
>>
Honestly, I'm glad Sega hasn't dragged its other mascots through the mud like it has with Sonic.

Sonic is Sega's star breadwinner and they treat the franchise like absolute shit.

If the organisation was run by people who care, then I'd want to see Alex and Golden Axe and Shenmue and Toejam/Earl and everyone else come back.
>>
>>3161806

Alex Kidd was popular in PAL regions where the Master System was successful.

His game on the Mega Drive was absolute shit though and I think that's why he was buried.
>>
>>3161843
They were fucking good NBA games though.
>>
>>3162440
>games
Game anon, there was one good NBA game.
>>
>>3161843

They were developing those games because E.A. abandoned Sega after the Saturn... and they were an amazing alternative.
>>
>>3162440
>>3162462
I can't tell you guys are serious? They were trash bin sports games.
>>
>>3162427
I agree... Also a new fantasy zone would be nice... By the way toe jam and Earl are coming back.
>>
>>3162437
Yeah but they could have recovered from that, I mean it certainly wasn't sonic 06 bad.
>>
>>3162473
I'm thinking of sports titles developed in house by sega, virtua strikers, virtua tennis, cosmic smash, sports jam, beach spikers, world series baseball. All good stuff.
>>
>>3162473
It doesn't matter, sports games are irrelevant to the original point of the thread.
>>
>>3161751
because sega was run by drug addicts tripping balls like there's no tomorrow. their high worked sometimes but more often than not their products were just bad trip

like atari
>>
>>3162058
If it was googled it would be listing a bunch of obscure shit
>>
>>3163792
Not necessarily like Atari though because Sega at least had some quality control.
>>
A lot of their ips were just answers to other people's hits, so they just dropped them when said hits became out of fashion or when they found a better, more successful one. That's why they had so many.
>>
>>3164514
Better more successful one? Where's the fantasy zone, wonder boy, and streets of rage replacements? Either way I still think they could use a lot of their old IPs if they did it properly.
>>
>>3161751
Well, anon... IT's quite simple

NONE OF THEIR IPS WERE POPULAR ENOUGH
>>
>>3161751
Because IP-management is concept that SEGA is literally unable to comprehend in way, shape, or form.
>>
>>3164935
Street of Rage was Sega's answer to Final Fight, so they stopped caring about the IP when Capcom did and Die Hard Arcade kinda filled the void later on. Fantasy Zone started as an alternative to Gradius. Wonder Boy is a Westone thing.

>Either way I still think they could use a lot of their old IPs if they did it properly.
Of course they can, but they never cared about them that way.
>>
Didn't Yuji Naka act like a huge bitch when he didn't like how things were managed in Japan, so that's why he moved what is now Sonic Team to the US?

And didn't he whine like a bitch again when the local American programmers wouldn't make Sonic 2 the way he wanted, so he insisted on hiring only programmers from Japan from that point onward, but still keep the team based in the US?

I don't know whether it was him or the Sega executives that were the problem, but in any case it was clear that there was a lot of friction within the company and generally very inefficient management pretty much from the start. Maybe that's why Sega weren't able to hold onto any of their other employees who were important for those other games.

I'm sure there is more to it than that, but I think that's the general idea.
>>
>>3164957
That's actually a very valid point.
>>
>>3164936
That could have been avoided though if they kept them going after sonic got them more of an install base.
>>
>>3164945
I suppose, I mean then again that remake of fantasy zone II and other things kinda make me think at one point they cared, but still... Maybe one day they'll care...
>>
It's not as if games like outrun and space harrier and stuff were left in the dust. They kept on doing sequels all through the 90s.

I'd say the biggest problem with Sega is that they have no sound organization. So many things done that made no sense. I mean, how could they compete when trying to do arcade stuff and also support a smorgasbord of consoles and add-ons? Not to mention the east-west friction. The whole thing was just a mess.
>>
>>3161806
Everyone knows it over here in Australia partly because it was the game that came up when you turned the sms2 on without a cartridge in.

To op it seems that for home Console game franchises Sega just seemed to try everything and hoped it would stick like Mario/Zelda and sonic stuck big time.
>>
Sega IPs were too "Arcade" and the gamers weren't interested in arcade games anymore.

Everybody knows Golden Axe, but very few would pay for a new Golden Axe game.
>>
>>3166346
Well that's true but the only reason it didn't was because Nintendo overshadowed them... Until sonic, so why'd they end it after they found something to promote the brand with?
>>
>>3166582
That's debatable, I wouldn't pay for a new golden age but I would for a new fantasy zone, Alex Kidd, or streets of rage.
>>
>>3164936
A few of them could easily be rebooted nowadays. Streets Of Rage def should
>>
>>3164935
Sadly Wonderboy was a cross platform licensing mess and kind of fizzled out. It is having a reboot soon under the title MonsterBoy. I'm pretty hyped, even if it turns out to be shit.
>>
>>3164945
>>3164514

What about Panzer Dragoon? That was pretty unique (at least the concept of it was)
>>
>>3161751
They gave up F-Zero.
>>
>>3171258
It was, and I should have mentioned it at the beginning of the thread.
>>
>>3171292
Yes, but still, not nearly as bad as Sega.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.