[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Don't you sometimes feel depressed at how pointless getting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 8

File: 1.png (624KB, 1279x961px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
624KB, 1279x961px
Don't you sometimes feel depressed at how pointless getting good at a videogame is? All those wasted hours and you've essentially accomplished nothing.
>>
>>3159353
we're all going to die anyways so anything we do means nothing
>>
>>3159353

Nah, not really. If you really like a game then getting good is just a way for you keep playing. If you enjoy it, it's worth it. It's as simple as that.
>>
That's why I don't force it. I know that if I dedicated religiously 1 or 2 hours a day at any given game, no matter how hard, I would become eventually good at it, even more if I spent time looking up online information about metagame, techniques, etc, as well as watching superplays or pro players and learn from them.

But that'd be a lot of time I'm not willing to spend in one game.

Sometimes I feel like 1cc games because I really like them and I enjoy learning them, all by myself.
But most of the times I'm fine if I can beat a game without dying too horribly too many times. If I didn't enjoy the game enough to keep playing it I'll jump to another one, and maybe I'll revisit that one some other day.
>>
File: 42JeZ.jpg (133KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
42JeZ.jpg
133KB, 1920x1080px
>>3159353
You do realize that life doesn't come with a meaning, right? You could say:

Don't you sometimes feel depressed at how pointless getting good at a _insert_aything here_ is?

If playing vidya is fun for you, then who's to judge? Of course the dose makes the poison, but as long as you don't feel like you are sacrificing other things important to you for the sake of video games (or _insert_anything_here_), then I think you're doing just fine. If you do feel that way about video games, then it's time to pursue other things and reduce how much time you spend staring at Samus.
>>
>>3159353
It's fun. I had fun. I like having fun.
>>
>>3159353
Just when i don't enjoy the game, good think i rarely want to git gut in a game that i don't enjoy.
>>
>>3159378
Being bad ain't very fun though.
>>
>>3159353
Just like those 5 years of college. Just like all the time spent learning a language I already forgot. Just like everything else in life.
>>
>>3159353
achievements breh :D
>>
It seems like the only games I ever master are single-player games nobody really plays with a competitive mindset.
>>
Yeah video games kinda suck once you're an adult and if they're your main hobby you'll probably end up depressed.

Personally, i found exercising and sports are more fufilling hobbies. Basically anything outside. I've been so much happier since I started cycling, playing volleyball, and lifting. You get better at a real, physical thing and exercise releases endorphins. I'll still play videogames for an hour or two when I get home from a ride to unwind before I go to bed. Grinding at a game is pretty pointless.

It's not a coincidence that the typical "gamer" is depressed, obese, and emotionally immature.
>>
>>3159353

Nothing matters, so why shouldn't I enjoy myself a little every now and then? Honestly, fuck off with this mindset.

>the only worthwhile actions to take are those that will get you money!
>>
File: space-harrier-boss.gif (3MB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
space-harrier-boss.gif
3MB, 320x224px
>>3159353
Not even a little. Because I don't play with the goal of getting good. I play with the goal of having fun. If I'm not having fun, I play or do something else.

If a game is a lot of fun I will play it until I'm really good, but that's for the enjoyment of the game itself. I don't try to get good at something just to get good at it.
>>
If you must know, Watson, I've been feeling a little bit down of late. It's the process of maintaining my sobriety. It's repetitive. And it's relentless. And above all, it's tedious. When I left rehab, I... I accepted your influence, I committed to my recovery. And now, two years in, I find myself asking, 'is this it?' My sobriety is simply a grind. It's just this leaky faucet that requires constant maintenance, and in return offers only not to drip.
>>
>>3159606
But you'll never get good if all you're doing is having fun at the newbie stages all the time.
>>
>>3159652
Did you not read the second half of my post? If I have a lot of fun with the game I'll play it a lot and become good. But that's a side effect of fun, it's not the goal in itself.
>>
Lol gitting gud is the only way to git bitches.
>>
>>3159594
Aren't top down shmups retro by definition? It's an archaic genre that only the Japanese care about anymore, and hearkens back to the earliest days of Space Invaders and Xevious.
>>
It's not what you do, it's how you do it
>>
>>3159660
Mushi came out in '04, nignuts. Buy a calendar and learn to count.
>>
>>3159654
Meh, sounds like you're just coming up with excuses for your failure.
>>
I only play to win. If I put time into a game and don't finish it then it's time completely wasted because I didn't achieve the goal. I only pick games to play I know I can reasonably win.
>>
>>3159679
Then mobile gaming was made for you.
>>
>>3159675
Me not wanting to spend time perfecting my skills at things I don't think are fun is excuses for my failure? No wonder you get depressed.
>>
>>3159683
>I don't know anything about mobile gaming!
>>
>>3159683

>he thinks he knows mobage despite never having touched it

Do yourself a favor and install Puzzle and Dragons some time. A deep and fun enough puzzle game that it kept me occupied for nearly a year worth of playing it every single day.
>>
>>3159684
Exactly, you only don't think it's fun because you know your skills aren't up to par for the task.
>>
>>3159665
Whatever. The observation was not based on fucking chronology, but rather content. I'm sure a a strict interpretation of the forum guidelines supports your view, but any kind of shmup is retro in my book.
>>
>>3159703
That's some really weak bait or you're legitimately mentally impaired.
>>
>>3159705
This is a forum for old games. Not a forum for games of a certain "style".
>>
>>3159708
At least you admit you'll never get good.
>>
>>3159712
This. Otherwise we'd have garbage like AVGN Adventures and Undertale on /vr/.
>>
>>3159718
I said exactly the opposite, you twit. If you're going to troll at least be consistent and pay a little attention.
>>
>>3159703
>implying only easy things are fun
>>
>>3159725
You said you can only get good when it's "fun" for you. That is, when the game don't even put up a challenge.
>>
File: 1333548559262.gif (361KB, 174x172px) Image search: [Google]
1333548559262.gif
361KB, 174x172px
>>3159735
It's your stupidity for assuming that I equate fun with easy. I find a game that doesn't put up a challenge extremely boring. It's the hard games with a lot of strategy that I find fun enough to master. Ecco kicked my ass for like two years, but that's a lot of what I loved about it.

It sounds like you're the one that only finds easy things fun. But you think there's some merit in "getting good" at a game, so you force yourself to play until you're "good" and then convince yourself it's been fun.
>>
>>3159748
Alright fair enough I can see your point. Glad we agree.
>>
>>3159353
That's why i don't play any fighting/shmup retro games. sometimes i'm pretty sad that i can't have fun with last blade 2 for example , but i know it would take me days , and it sucks.

JRPG's for the win.
>>
>>3159774
JRPGfags are the cancer killing videogames.
>>
>>3159794
DS3 is making PS4s fly off the shelves. It's about the only thing right now actually selling.
>>
>>3159774
Your false flagging is truly pathetic.
>>
>>3159796
That's a western-style action-adventure game with RPG elements.
>>
>>3159767
You're a really shitty person, you know that? You always assume the worst and then act like a total dick as much as possible over the silliest things. I am very glad 4chan is the only place I have to interact with you.
>>
File: 1399067451001.jpg (162KB, 600x3031px) Image search: [Google]
1399067451001.jpg
162KB, 600x3031px
Remember kids, this will be you one day.
>>
>>3159847
And what do you suggest we do about it? Become hippies living in a commune and embrace the sanctity and glory of nature?
>>
>>3159870
Make sure that whatever you do with your life is something you enjoy or pursue with purpose. So that when you are (hopefully) old you can look back on what you've done without regret. Whatever that is, is for you and only you to decide though. Indecision is also a choice... but I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>3159884
What if I don't find enjoyment in anything?
>>
>>3159847
I'm not even 30 and I already realize that I have not lived a real life and that I have an almost nonexistant chance at being able to start.
>>
>>3160021
>All those wasted hours and you've essentially accomplished nothing.
You get to lay on your death bed and think "Man, that fucking sucked."
True enlightenment, my man.
>>
>>3159353

>hurrr having fun is a waste of time people should be 100% productive all of the time
>>
>>3159358
This. Anything that could possibly be accomplished, no matter how great will all be swept away by the exploding sun and the eventual heat death of the universe.
>>
>>3159774
Actually this nigger is the only one who knows what I'm talking about, being bad at games is not "fun".
>>
File: my_tombstone.jpg (36KB, 400x313px) Image search: [Google]
my_tombstone.jpg
36KB, 400x313px
No regrets
>>
>>3159353
>Don't you sometimes feel depressed at how pointless getting good at a videogame is? All those wasted hours and you've essentially accomplished nothing.

I'm sorry, but quite frankly.. You're a fucking idiot. Here's why.

1. It's not out of nothingness, I'm doing it for the sole purpose of enjoyment. You gain bragging rights for being the best. It's a self-accomplishing goal saying, "I did it." I'm not a man of talk, I accomplish, and I do. And I do "It." I've added hundreds of hours to various classic shmup games and I've made top ten. Sure, I may not work the greatest fucking job in the world but come on, your small ass dick has no idea what FUN means. Putting forth any kind of effort will bring your entire time of accomplishments into fruition. You know fucking nothing about winning and dont know shit about video games. I'd advise you to reconsider stop playing video games for a moment if you don't know what a video game is.
>>
>>3160021
You have chronic depression. Seek help.
>>
>>3160103
But the more I play the worse I get anon, this is not fun. I should seek another hobby.
>>
I'm convinced videogame skills are a genetic thing and I simply wasn't born with it.
>>
>>3159353
not really
>>
No, because I can go play at an arcade and there are always filthy casuals around to impress.
>>
>>3159367
This.

Gotta be zen, do what you want but challenge yourself. If you're enjoying yourself that's not wasted time, unless you're ignoring an obligation.
>>
Video games are super duper fun and I'd rather be playing them than doing most other things with my free time. I quite like my quiet little life.
>>
>>3160060
You can always start, especially nowadays.
>>
>>3160197
At age 30 you're dead already.
>>
>>3160197
Yeah, because earlier/later adays are totally different.
>>
>>3159847
>be in school all the time from age of 5 to 25
>get good grades, win awards, be model student
>finish college and realize none of that matters at all
>can't even get a donut delivery job even though their last guy was a convict

It just broke me. A lifetime of work for absolutely no payoff. I don't even know how to begin again. I don't want to.
>>
>>3159719
>Undertale
>garbage
>>
>>3160315
You'll probably find a decent job eventually, a shitty videogame NEET is fucked for life.
>>
>>3160315
I'm 21. I've got an associates degree from a community college for programming.

I did well on assignments, but fuck if I can apply it in a professional setting. (Bad experience doing an internship.)

At this point, I'm thinking of becoming a janitor somewhere. Right now I'm a farm-hand, so that would be a step up.
>>
>>3160217
Says the kid who's never lived.

>>3160620
An AA in lesbian underwater basket weaving is worth more than that son. Nothing wrong with mopping poo for a living. At this point I have great respect for anyone who actually works for a wage
>>
>>3160665
>Says the kid who's never lived.
Doesn't matter, life ends at 30.
>>
>>3160114
Chronic depression is bullshit, it's only your life that sucks, which is perfectly normal. The only way to cope with that is realizing that you don't have to be happy in life to live, get a job, swallow sadness and go on.
>>
>>3159353
Video games and anime motivated me to start learning Japanese. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't bother learning a second language at all.
>>
>>3159794
>killing video games
>using present tense on a board dedicated to discussing past video games
>>
>>3159705
>Whatever

Not "whatever". It's not retro, no ifs, ands, or butts. Deal with it gaylord.
>>
>>3160315
>be in school all the time from age of 5 to 25
You could asked one your friends to hook you up with some job. Just don't be picky about job or "friend" and you should be fine.
>>
File: sisyphus.jpg (18KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
sisyphus.jpg
18KB, 200x200px
>>3159353
look at "pic related" look at how he owns his meaningless situation, you could be like "pic related" too if you wanted
>>
>>3159353
No, all you're saying is that the total utility you have in videogames is too high. Do something else for a while and come back to it.
>>
Yes, sometimes. But I get that feeling with everything, even creative hobbies like making video games myself. I just enjoy the learning period a lot and even though failed attempts can be frustrating the eventual victory makes it all worth it.
>>
>>3159353

when it comes to actually hard games, I think you gain soft skills in getting good. Like learning how to perfect something.
>>
>>3161058
I don't have any friends. I moved away to a completely new city and the only guy I kept in touch with lives on the other side of the country. If anything he's been asking me for hook-ups for some reason. I know literally no one else here so far.

>>3160620
Being a janitor's hard too. I applied for that before and never got an interview. Good luck anyway. I wish I was a farm hand, sounds cool being outdoors so much.
>>
>>3160669
Hopefully for you it will end much sooner. Like when you hit 15 or something.
>>
>>3162165
I'm 3 years away from turning 30, bro. It's ogre.
>>
Just play to have fun man. It's easy to enjoy things when you go at your pace and don't worry about impressing people that couldn't give a fuck about you
>>
>>3160102
This will essentially be my legacy, hopefully I'll die before the majority of my save files do.
I hope one day my grandchildren will have the opportunity to play some of my games and go "how the fuck did he manage to do this shit, I mean it's fucking impossible with this stone age shit. fuck video games"
>>
>>3162173
You could always do the world a favor and end it early. If you think life ends at 30 you aren't living a life worth living.
>>
>>3162173
27 is a good number to end it on
>>
I get more disheartened seeing ugly CRT filters on retro games.

It adds nothing to the experience except a blurry, unclear screencap.
>>
>I did well on assignments, but fuck if I can apply it in a professional setting. (Bad experience doing an internship.)

W-why? I'm in school for an associates in programming... Is there something I should be aware of?
>>
>>3162425
Writing a small program from scratch is much easier than being shoved into the middle of a full sized project. Without the help of the original programmers.
>>
>>3159353
No, I feel happy that I did something I love weather it accomplished something or not.
>>
>>3160315
You'd be able to find a job if you stopped filling out two online applications a year and actually went out and talked to some managers.
>>
>>3162517
you give me hope anon
>>
>>3163016
Who knows. Maybe meeting him in person would make him even less desirable?
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.