[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which does /vr/ prefer, Xmen: COTA or Xmen vs. Street Fighter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

File: xmencota-s2.png (23KB, 384x224px) Image search: [Google]
xmencota-s2.png
23KB, 384x224px
Which does /vr/ prefer, Xmen: COTA or Xmen vs. Street Fighter? Specifically the PS1 versions. Also, 90s Capcom fighting game thread.
>>
Marvel Superheroes is GOAT.
>>
>PS1 versions

neither.
>>
>>3153628
>PS1 versions

Man up and play the Saturn ports you fucking faggot.
>>
>>3153682
>saturn ports
Or, you know, the arcade versions.

Sheesh.
>>
>ps1 versions
I'd rather play Street Fighter EX
>>
>>3153683
I'm assuming faggot OP is playing on original hardware, seeing as he mentioned PS1 specifically. If someone is emulating I'd usually assume you're already using MAME for CPS2 games.
>>
>>3153628
Depends, when i was a kid the idea of my favorite cartoon vs my favorite arcade game was insane

so i will always have place for XvSF

But COTA is still 10/10

if you try to play them competatively, you are asking for trouble tho

also
>PS1
>>
>>3153628
well. if you insist on playing the PS1 versions then I suppose it depends on which cast you like better, because the tag feature was cut from the PS1 port of XvSF(they both probably have some animation cuts).
>>
File: 1460482769769.jpg (882KB, 1280x1824px) Image search: [Google]
1460482769769.jpg
882KB, 1280x1824px
>>3153628
People unironnically play playstation ports of Capcoms fighters? This is a joke thread right. Tons of animation frames cut , literally missing content. That system could do early 3d, ill give it that, but serious heavy ram 2d is just not on its list of features.
>>
>>3153628
Dem huge stages

>>3153628 >>3153632 >>3153682 >>3153687 >>3153701 >>3154361

It was a dark, weird time for Capcom ports, since the Saturn was such a minority system. Every PS1 game in the series added some more weird tweaks to the dumbing down of the tag-team system (at some critically surreal point, probably on MvC, though I can't really remember, you would get automatically as a partner the character the other player was using, or something like that). Plus, loading times out of the ass, butchered animations, and usually just a team battle / survival or somesuch extra content to justify the "home" version at all.

After the huge array of disappointing CPS2 ports, it's kind of weird how the (arguably) best Capcom fighting game port ever for the PS was actually of a CPS3 game

Still, there was no ubiquitous internet back then, so I would always look forward to the art galleries with character designs, promo illustrations and that sort of thing that they usually filled the disc with
>>
File: peggys_insight.jpg (21KB, 211x239px) Image search: [Google]
peggys_insight.jpg
21KB, 211x239px
>>3154397
>>
I'm pretty sure Alpha 3 and Darkstalkers 3 are the only ports that weren't wholly terrible on PS1.
>>
>>3154405
>it's kind of weird how the (arguably) best Capcom fighting game port ever for the PS was actually of a CPS3 game
which game was that? Jojo's? what made it good? I mean if the PS couldn't actually handle a pure CPS2 port(admittedly I think SFA3 on playstion was pretty good eventhough I know it was comprimised) how could it have a good CPS3 port?
>>
>>3154435
heh
>>
File: swish.gif (2MB, 460x374px) Image search: [Google]
swish.gif
2MB, 460x374px
>>3154539
SFA3 was quite good. The JoJo port is considered a great one because it was... plucky. The translation of the gameplay was more than fair, showing a lot of care (and very crafty workarounds); and the extras were fantastic, specially a special, super detailed Story mode filled with minigames and original cutscenes and visuals.

The Dreamcast port, though it contained arcade-perfect(ish?) ports of both games, lacked most of the extras (which would have rendered the PS version obsolete and less memorable)
>>
>>3153629
it improved a lot on Xmen: CotA
>>
>>3154556
never played Jojo's, will have to give it a shot sometime
>>
>>3154556
>Story mode
People play fighting games for that?!
>>
>>3154557
Didn't that come first?
>>
>>3154564
I consider it icing, superfluous but enjoyable.

>>3154584
no, CotA was the first Capcom Marvel fighting game, MSH was the second, XvsSF was the third.
>>
>>3154564 >>3154587

JoJo is not much of a competitive game; I saw it as a solid, comfy casual fighter to play with friends, like Rival Schools or the like; more about the general excess, craziness and solid lowbrow fun than about benchmarking acceptable per second damage output ratios.

Story modes were always a fun extra to flesh out the setting and draw you in, specially when characters and scenarios managed to be more than hairstyle/costume combinations pasted over generic international imagery.
>>
>>3154397
If they're not insisting on playing single player, it's choppy versions with gimped animations. /vr/ is such a weird place for fighters.
>>
>>3153628
PS1 versions were junk. At least play the Saturn ones, dude.

I honestly like COTA better for the occasional romp, XvsSF is utterly broken, and is missing a lot of fun moves that later sequels added.
Not that COTA isn't like that in a way (broken and having less moves), but it has such a completely different pace to the fighting, that it feels like a totally different game despite everyone having less moves.
>>
COTA's gameplay style is completely different to all the Vs games that came after.

And I have a lot of nostalgia playing it in the arcade with my brother. It's probably my favourite.

Me and my brother were SO FUCKING PUMPED when we could finally emulate it in 2001
>>
>>3154505

How good is Darkstalkers 3 on PS?
Does it have full animation for mirror matches like Vampire Hunter on Saturn?
>>
>>3153682
This man knows what he's talking about.

If you didn't have a Saturn with a 60Hz switch and the 4meg ram so you could play arcade perfect ports, then you are worthless.
>>
>>3155005
apparently it has some loss of animation frames and longer load times. I remember it being a good port considering. It and Alpha 3 are the best CPS2 ports on Playstation.
>>
COTA had Psylocke

it wins for me
>>
>>3154405
Jojo's not a really "stressful" game, the CPS-3 isn't really a much more powerful system than the CPS-2 and the PS1 port isn't even that good.
Also the Saturn was more powerful to handle CPS-2 games, as simple as that.
>>
>>3154674
Jojo can get pretty competitive as long as you don't play as the bird.
>>
>>3155113
>They switched out Psylocke in favor of X-23 in MvC3.
Never forget.
>>
>>3155113
Is there a more mesmerizing sprite?
>>
>>3155313

if that wasn't bad enough

>Blond Jill

that whole game was a disaster
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6lkLNaoG38
The best boss theme
>>
>>3155473
Magneto is so OP in nearly every game he's in but thats why i love using him.

also >playing 2D fighters on the PS1
c'mon thats why the Saturn, DC, and Mame were made.

Also how is Vampire Savior, Xmen vs SF, and MSH Vs SF not arcade perfect ports on the saturn? I hear from other people that there are some differences and i wanna know what?
>>
>>3154963
>COTA's gameplay style is completely different to all the Vs games that came after.

It is actually pretty similar, it's just a lot slower and you don't automatically super jump on launchers.
>>
>>3155071
>If you didn't have a Saturn with a 60Hz switch and the 4meg ram so you could play arcade perfect ports, then you are worthless.

Saturn did not get arcade perfect CPS2 ports. That's a common misconception.
It just got the best ports.

All the CPS2 ports either had framedrops or slowdown (different depending on game), ran at a smaller resolution and had the graphics adjusted accordingly, had some unskippable cutscenes (that masked the loading time), and sometimes had small edits for scenes that just couldn't be done otherwise (compare the Cyberbots intro).
>>
File: spiral.gif (40KB, 95x124px) Image search: [Google]
spiral.gif
40KB, 95x124px
>>3155339
>Is there a more mesmerizing sprite?

Pay attention to the hands.
>>
>>3154505
What would be the best version of Alpha 3? Dreamcast? PSP?
>>
>>3155784
>Also how is Vampire Savior, Xmen vs SF, and MSH Vs SF not arcade perfect ports on the saturn? I hear from other people that there are some differences and i wanna know what?

They have unskippable pre-fight scenes, Vampire Savior has some music cues playing as downgraded chiptunes, Vampire Savior has VS2 characters but balance is still VS1 (later ports allowed you to pick), Xmen/MSH vs SF switched to 30fps when there was too much sprites to draw on the screen (usually during stuff like double hyper combos).

All of those games also had the lifebars and stuff re-arranged a little because the game ran in 352x224 instead of the arcades 384x224 (usually the profile pics got pushed below the lifebars). And since the resolution changed, you also could walk out of the screen a lot more.
>>
>>3155832
>Vampire Savior has some music cues playing as downgraded chiptunes
I noticed they sounded differently and not as good as the arcade originals.
>>3155816
Probably the Saturn since the DC one is based off the Playstation one and then theres the online port which was based off the NAOMI board so i think it plays differently??
>>
CoTA or MSH would be a better comparison. I liked CoTA more back in the day.
>>
>>3155816
If non retro counts, then Alpha Anthology is the way to go
>>
File: mvc.jpg (75KB, 453x700px) Image search: [Google]
mvc.jpg
75KB, 453x700px
weirdo question but I know a lot of Japanese CPS2 games have english as an option in the menus.

do X-men or Marvel 1 do that? I mean I don't really need english in a fighting game like these mostly just asking out curiosity
>>
>>3155884
Literally all fighting games in Japan are in english

i don't fucking know why, but they are
>>
File: vampLilith-fly.gif (106KB, 275x221px) Image search: [Google]
vampLilith-fly.gif
106KB, 275x221px
>>3155832
Did later ports of VS or compilations allowed you to play with VS1 balance with Donovan, Phobos and Pyron? Or you mean VS2 and VH2?

VS also has the secret menu that allows you to move around the UI, I think you can even remove it completely not sure. Also you can choose between Saturn and Arcade screen resolution on the regular menu.
>>
>>3157394
>Did later ports of VS or compilations allowed you to play with VS1 balance with Donovan, Phobos and Pyron? Or you mean VS2 and VH2?

I'm pretty sure that later ports allowed you to switch between VH2 or VS2. Also, unrelated, but the Saturn release of VS only has 2 play modes - arcade and versus. No survival or team battle, and only some very basic options too, it is an extremely bare bones release.
X-Men vs Street Fighter had no other modes either. MSH vs Street Fighter at least had a survival, which was actually pretty cool cause it cycled through every enemy including the hidden characters.

>VS also has the secret menu that allows you to move around the UI, I think you can even remove it completely not sure. Also you can choose between Saturn and Arcade screen resolution on the regular menu.

Yeah, it had a hidden menu. It allowed you to turn the game English, it translated all texts, names, and turned the blood white. You could also set up 99 ex levels and then just spam supers.

I recall something about setting the UI but it was like a -3 to +3 toggle of height.

The screen resolution thing just shortened the screen a bit so you can't walk out so far - changed the maximum distance between players from the arcade resolution to the Saturn resolution. Some other CPS2 to Saturn ports had it too, I know X-Men COTA had it as a secret option.

There was one interesting option, changing the display between S-Video to RGB. All it did was change the checkerboard patterns on the lifebar and on the character win screens. In S-Video it was checkboard, on RGB it was two inverted checkerboards flickering to provide the illusion of transparency.
>>
>>3157460

Yeah, all collections of Vampire had both VS2 and VH2, apart from VH1 and VS1, but is there any that let's you play with the Hunter characters using VS1's balance? Or any version of Savior with all Hunter and Savior characters? I only played the arcade versions but VS2 and VH2 both cut characters.
>>
>>3155816
i personally think the naomi has the best version of alpha 3, but the psp version is the one with the most characters.
>>
>>3157631
By the way the PS2 has the naomi version (called Alpha 3 Upper), you just have to jump some hoops to unlock it.
>>
>>3157631
new characters in the gba/psp version are maki, eagle, ingrid, yang

Not a terribly big loss or anything.
>>
>>3157517
>but is there any that let's you play with the Hunter characters using VS1's balance?
Saturn VS
PS1 VS
PS2 Collection
>>
>>3157367
>i don't fucking know why, but they are

That is weird
>>
>>3155473
Sorry pham but it's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHXzWsKYOvY
or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4rXcPD00rQ
>>
>>3155884
>weirdo question but I know a lot of Japanese CPS2 games have english as an option in the menus.

The only Saturn one I remember that has that is Vampire Savior. All the other ones are in Japanese only.

I guess they only started adding that option afterwards - VS came out pretty late, and English mode was just a hidden option in that one.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.