[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did so many uncles work at Nintendo in the 90's? I bet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 5

File: 978789.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
978789.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
Why did so many uncles work at Nintendo in the 90's? I bet you had one in the family too!
>>
>>3151435
I thought only dads worked at nintendo.
>>
>>3151438
dads can also be uncles if they had siblings. I will be neither as I am a shut in.
>>
>>3151435
I actually worked for NoA from 1988 to 1991.
>>
NoA was a front for the NSA

the NSA had 90s computing power in the 60s

they still made NASA work with slide rules

tfw Every NoA product taken into a household was bugged

tfw Obama phone isnt a stab at your personal life either

ok there are a lot of conspiracies...

but check out clipper chip

> i was never here
> i didnt pass this info
>>
I didn't but like seven kids I went to school with did
>>
>>3151435
My uncle worked at Sega.
>>
>>3151468
>but check out clipper chip

That shit that never got off the ground because an engineer figured out how to bypass it before it even got developed?
>>
>>3151435
Basically if you had a niece or nephew and likely no kids yourself you were a fucking shoe in
>>
>>3151461
What was your job?
>>
>>3151463
>did
>>
my uncle worked for Atari and did a shit lot of coke while working :^))
>>
>>3151463

Because murrifats are the lowest kind of consumers: they are given one initial good product of a brand, and then they become loyal to that brand for the next 30-40 despite all the iterations being dogshit. See Ford or Apple for example.
>>
>>3151435

That guy is not an uncle.

That's how twenty-year old's looked like in the 90s.

Most of today's young men look young and not masculine. Small jaws, high pitched voices, undescended testes at birth, smaller penis, low testosterone, no cheekbones or facial bone structure.

Today's young people have been soaked in BPA, birth pill juice and many other endocrine disruptors.

I'd rather be old and a millennial.
>>
>>3152616
Well first of all I knew someone who was an uncle at about 10 years old, it's not that unusual.

I sort of agree with you, but I'd be really cautious over where you're going with it and this sort of "hurrr I'd rather and I win hurrr". I'm pretty sure I got pretty soaked myself in those types of chemicals so I'm not a shadow of how masculine my dad was. Don't start insulting.
>>
File: Rowsdower-Zap-Rowsdower.jpg (75KB, 595x992px) Image search: [Google]
Rowsdower-Zap-Rowsdower.jpg
75KB, 595x992px
>>3152616
Look pal, I got really bitter about turning 30 too, but there's no need to be so goddamn sour grapes.
>>
>>3152651

im not bitter about turning 30. Stop projecting.
>>
>>3151463
>>3152571
so what do you suggest? a commodore 64 or zx spectrum?

don't make me laugh
>>
File: 1404894145102.gif (2MB, 159x114px) Image search: [Google]
1404894145102.gif
2MB, 159x114px
>>3152676
>I'd rather be old and a millennial.
>I'm not bitter about turning 30
Stop denying it. People that constantly bitch about the younger generation are bitter as fuck. Every generation described the generation that followed it as "the worst generation ever", so don't act like there's some special shit chemical deflating your idea of manliness. It makes you sound paranoid, bitter and a bit gay for men with mustaches.
>>
>>3152715

Some people look better in their thirties than they did in their twenties.

Most of the really hot guys in highschool are bald and/or fat and have lost their good looks.

I love being in my thirties and would never want to be younger.
>>
>>3152720
Fuck, you meant in YOUR high school. Yea, my classmates aren't looking so shit hot either. I always looked 10 years younger than my actual age, so I'm sitting pretty.
>>
>>3152752
>Yea, my classmates aren't looking so shit hot either. I always looked 10 years younger than my actual age,

Everyone thinks that.

....everyone thinks they are the exception too and they actually look a lot younger jerkoff.
>>
>>3151435
Nintendo didn't have a lot of employees so there must have been other factors. There would have been something like 1 uncle for every 10000 kids in Japan in 1990. But with Nintendos growth and the slow birth rate during the 90's that number could have been down to 5000 by the end of the decade. You also need to factor in employees who joined and left the company over the decade. There turnover rate in Japan is low by American standard but that could still drive it down to 1 uncle for every 4000 kids. There are two other major factors to consider.
A 10 year old kid might not understand that a relative working on a game for Nintendo or just a game that ran on a Nintendo console wasn't actually an employee of Nintendo Co Ltd. Nintendo relied heavily on third parties. This interconnected web of uncles could have easily boosted the perceived number of uncles working for Nintendo by a factor of 10. That would give you 1 uncle for every 400 kids
Finally, kids everywhere refer to people as uncle even if they aren't technically a real uncle. In Japan there are many different ways of saying different words used for uncles and non-uncle "uncles" some of which could easily be confused by a 10 year old kid who wasn't listening carefully. This could easily increase the perceived number of uncles working for Nintendo by another factor of 10 which would give you 1 uncle for every 40 kids.
That sounds about right. We had pretty large classes, about 30-35 students, in primary school. And on average there was roughly one cunt in every class who said he had an uncle who worked at Nintendo.
>>
>>3152571
NES wasn't good, though.
>>3152679
C64, Amiga 1000, Sega Master System, they're all better than Nintendo's bullshit.
>>
>>3152982
>they're all better than Nintendo's bullshit.

You forgot the glorious Speccy :C
>>
>>3152984
Fuck off with that budget shit.
>>
>>3152982

>NES wasn't good
>Saved video games
>bad
>>
>>3152989
The +3/+2 weren't bad for 8bits.
>>
>>3152990
Saved video games from what?
>>
>>3152982
>C64, Amiga 1000, Sega Master System
top kek

yeah i'll be sure to enjoy those EIGHT hardware sprites on the C64
>>
>>3153006
At least you can play something decent, unlike with the NES that only had a couple of good games.
>>
>>3153012
>C64
>decent
yeah i sure love gianna sisters

its totally not a shitty clunky clone of super mario bros 1

or what about shmups like x-out, where every time you die you have to load the game like 3 times
>>
>>3153015
You have never used a microcomputer have you?
>>
>>3153015
>I don't know anything about it
>I'll call it shit xD
Fuck off, kid, you don't belong here. Go watch AVGN so you can look at NES shit.
>>
>>3153005

From the clash you retarded.

Go learn some history.
>>
>>3153016
i own a C64, you faglord

technically i'm even using a microcomputer right now since by definition a microcomputer is "a small, relatively inexpensive computer with a microprocessor as its central processing unit".

>>3153018
you're mad that i pointed out that the C64 library is true shit aren't you

at least NES games were mostly tested and made by people who gave a shit

what's funny is that the C64 library was so shit that people bought games JUST for the music
>>
>>3153024
>technically i'm even using a microcomputer right now since by definition a microcomputer is "a small, relatively inexpensive computer with a microprocessor as its central processing unit".

Technically maybe. But this is /vr/, when you say "microcomputer" there is a certain expectation that you are referring to the small, relatively inexpensive 80's computers as general usage had gradually faded in favour of "personal computer".
>>
>>3153020
You mean the American home console crash? That would mean the NES saved American home consoles, but it didn't, as Atari would produce two more failures before ceasing, all other American competitors would fail until the mid 2000s with the Xbox 360. So Nintendo hurt American home consoles. I guess it just saved home consoles in America. PC games were being produced and purchased still, arcades were still popular, the only one affected by this 'crash' was Atari. So from now on it will be known as the Atari home console market crash of America. This crash had no affect on video games outside of North America.
>>
>>3153028
>the only one affected by this 'crash' was Atari
do your research before you say stupid shit

nintendo even had to redesign the NES just so retailers would carry it since they were wary of consoles
>>
>>3153031
But the only home console affected by that 'crash' was Atari. So what if Nintendo decided to redesign the Famicom, they weren't forced to.
>>
>>3153039
They were forced to, or else retailers would not carry the system.

At some point they planned for it to be a full-fledged computer, but they decided to design it as a VCR looking device instead.
>>
>>3153046
Source on retailers refusing the Famicom?
>>
>>3152976
This is bait, yes?
>>
>>3153051
>Only after an intense direct campaign by a dedicated "Nintendo SWAT team", including telemarketing and shopping mall demonstrations, as well as a risk-free proposition to retailers, did Nintendo secure enough retailer support (about 500 retailers, including FAO Schwarz) to conduct a market test in New York City. Nintendo agreed to handle all store setup and marketing, extend 90 days credit on the merchandise, and accept returns on unsold inventory. Retailers would pay nothing upfront, and after 90 days would either pay for the merchandise or return it to Nintendo.
That's how bad it was.

Interestingly the only reason the NES didn't come with a keyboard and BASIC in ROM was simply to cut costs, which I didn't know until today.
>>
>>3153078
That doesn't say that retailers forced them to redesign the Famicom.
>>
>>3153081
You asked for a source on retailers refusing Famicom, I gave pretty solid evidence.

It's a known fact that Nintendo pretty much avoided calling it a game console and called their cartridges Paks just to avoid the whole video game connotation. It's all part of a tactic to trick retailers into thinking it's more than a game console.
>>
>>3153091
That doesn't say they refused the Famicom either, it says they were wary of the redesigned NES.
>>
>>3152616
I agree with you about chemicals in everything and shit, but this man is clearly a middle-aged guy. You can't be that stupid not to instantly notice this.
>>
>>3153091
and that is why rob the robot was tossed in the package.
>>
>>3153221
It's probably why they also wanted it to have a keyboard and BASIC in ROM originally.

Unfortunately those had to be cut. Possibly for the best since Nintendo also wanted to prevent a shit flood of bad games.

Another thing they did for the early years of the NES was having honest box and cartridge art. People were used to seeing these beautiful paintings on Atari cartridges, and they were tired of feeling ripped off.
>>
File: 1456794004558.jpg (52KB, 600x212px) Image search: [Google]
1456794004558.jpg
52KB, 600x212px
I'm 23 and an uncle.
>>
>>3153091
Nintendo weren't trying to "trick" anyone and that is not a realistic thing that could possibly happen. Nintendo wanted to avoid the idea that it was just a games console, they were also genuinely exploring new ways of entertainment. I remember back when Sony was saying that the PS2 wasn't a console in the traditional sense, that the "emotion engine" made it more powerful than a PC. Are you saying Sony were "tricking" people by doing that? The naming and add-ons were partly helped by what retailers would stock and part of Nintendo's policy, noone was "tricking" anyone.
>>
>>3153276
Well it was marketed as a gaming system in Japan, and Nintendo marketed it outside Japan as an "Entertainment System". I would say it's trickery. They did try making it more than just a gaming system a few times and I think that's great.
>>
>>3153283
Jesus Christ how stupid you are? That's what all companies do, they name their products what they think will work in the market.

It also had exactly what it was marketed as having. Some kids somewhere had great fun with R.O.B. and other games

That's meeting the demands of the market. Where's the "trickery"?

You claim that they called it an "entertainment system" because it's more than a videogame console, despite entertainment system being a pretty cool name by itself. Calling it this is just good marketing and a good name... there's no "trickery" involved. All companies try to call their product the best thing it can, they're practically obliged to by law (since otherwise there would likely be some scam going on where shareholders were losing out).
>>
>>3152616
You realize that you don't need to be old to be an uncle? I became an uncle when I was 13. Hell, my grandfather had a neice that was OLDER than him. Are you some kind of dummy?
>>
>>3153264
your sister is a slut
>>
>>3152412
Probably the appointed Xerox Machine Operator.
>>
>>3153283
>Nintendo marketed it outside Japan as an "Entertainment System". I would say it's trickery.

I would say you're an idiot.
>>
>>3151450
lock yourself out of the house and you'll be a shut-out, problem solved
>>
>>3152982
>C64, Amiga 1000, Sega Master System, they're all better than Nintendo's bullshit.
c'mon.

>>3153028
no one is going to make games exclusively to pander to europeans.
>>
I had an electronics teacher who worked for Maxis. He sent out a fake press release to several California newspapers about a supposedly new technology the company was testing in the 90s called "Smell-o-vision" which he claimed had only resulted in a few fatalities. All the papers chuckled and laughed off the joke except for the Sacramento Bee. Suddenly, the paper was getting bombarded by editorials about how the madmen behind Smell-o-vision had to be stopped. He tried to tell them it was a joke, but they refused to publish a correction.
>>
>>3154026
kek
>>
>>3151450
Being a shut-in doesn't stop you from becoming an uncle as long as all your siblings aren't shut-ins too.
>>
Yeah, I had an uncle who worked at Nintendo. He was one of the main programmers involved in the creation of many of the classics. He told me all the secrets that the game developers leave in their games that only a few people know about it. Like secret characters, levels, and even nude scenes. Also, crazy combos for fighters that were put in just for testing that got left in. My uncle also created a version of Mario Brothers in which Mario and Luigi were remade to the likeness of me and my brother. I would show it to you, but we lost it. It was bad ass though and it's too bad you'll never see it.
>>
>>3152412
Game Counselor than moved onto copy editing for Nintendo Power for a few months before moving to Florida.
>>
>>3151480
Your uncle sounds bad ass.
>>
>be an uncle
>always drunk
>lonely as shit

Why did I become a meme? I don't remember asking to be on this ride...
>>
>>3151435
i never had an uncle who worked for Nintendo I HAD A FUCKING CHEAT DEVICE.

fucking bitches loved mew. oh anon please give me mew. please. man i miss the days when people with cheat devices weren't spit on
>>
File: me&john.jpg (101KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
me&john.jpg
101KB, 1024x768px
>not being the cool uncle
>>
>>3156896
>pic related
>of not being cool
>not even an uncle (mom lied)
>just some freaky brown guys
>taking a break from their meth lab
>>
>>3158501
That reads like a Haiku.
>>
>>3156896
>his sister bred with a shitskin
hahahaha faggot
>>
>>3152982
>C64, Amiga 1000, Sega Master System, they're all better than Nintendo's bullshit.
I played video games on a c64 initially

as soon as i got a snes i was like jesus fuck every single game on that thing was trash
>>
>>3158608
>new generation of systems
>"Wow, it improved upon the previous!"
>>
>>3159471
The Amiga and Atari ST did not fare that much better. Also the SNES library is worse than the NES library.
>>
>>3153051
Are you this much of a fucking Millenial?
>>
>>3153108
DIE MILLENIAL, YOU DONT BELONG IN THIS WORLD
>>
>>3152616
twenty-year old's in the 90s grew soaked in widespread Lead contamination. in food, water, air.
>>
>>3153293
true

i was raped by my 19yo niece when i was 17yo
>>
>>3151468
>clipper chip
Back in my days we did clipping in software. We didn't need no stinking chip for it!
>>
>>3153039
How do you figure that? Atari made the 2600 until 1991. They were the only ones NOT very affected by the crash. Where's the new Fairchild console? And the new Colecovision and pong plug-ins?
The reason the 5200 and 7800 failed was due to bad marketing and a lack of support.
Learn some history before you recycle your forum-tier level of knowledge
>>
>>3153046
>>They were forced to, or else retailers would not carry the system.
I have /never/ seen any actual evidence on this. I've only seen children who watch youtube videos spout this.
I've seen a range of stated reasons from this (including R.O.B. being developed to push the system into the US market) to "They wanted it to look more like a VCR", which falls in place with what Japanese companies think of the US (See: Turbografx redesign). I would like to see a proper source on this.

Also, if you think that NEC and Sega weren't gearing up to drop their systems in the US with or without Nintendo you're naive, straight up.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.