[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did /vr/ ever play this? I first played the SMS version and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 22

File: Shadow_of_the_Beast-2.png (21KB, 576x400px) Image search: [Google]
Shadow_of_the_Beast-2.png
21KB, 576x400px
Did /vr/ ever play this?

I first played the SMS version and didn't understand why people raved about the sound and graphics until I saw the Amiga version.

Also it was hard as hell.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (141KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
141KB, 1280x720px
Let that be a lesson to you to avoid the console ports of Amiga games even if they're better known and/or more accessible.

Also perhaps let this be a gateway for you into Amiga platformers
>>
>>3149858
Thanks, I'll take a look!
>>
File: 1568.jpg.png (7KB, 640x408px) Image search: [Google]
1568.jpg.png
7KB, 640x408px
Had the Lynx version.
Loved it, though I never got far.
It had a great alternate soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ultTCD9gZ3s

Anybody else feel as if the upcoming PS4 "remake" is missing the point? Much like so many modern remakes/re-imaginings of classic franchises, it's as if it doesn't feel comfortable in simply technologically elevating what people liked in the original. No, its developers always seem to have this idea that fans and newcomers alike would rather be playing another popular game than something faithful, so they "fix" it. Or maybe it's just publisher demand, "make it more like God of War or Halo instead of the thing that makes it special".
I mean, look at this shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbCjt15njFo
>>
>>3149904
I agree 100%. Sure, it's very shiny, but it's missing... something. It looks so, so generic. All games look like that now.

I quite like the Lynx soundtrack. Funky. Thanks for pointing me at it.
>>
I played a game that looked similar to this for the gameboy, does anybody know what it could've been?
there were like old pillars and everything was in Greek mythos style iirc
>>
>>3149904
I'm keen enough for it, while I agree it does look a bit generic I'd certainly give it a chance.
>>
>>3149904
The game looks alright, the graphics good, but I hate the shaky cams and the "stylish" animations.
They could do something good without emulating crap like God of War. The game would be way more unique with a different direction.
>>
>>3150146
>"stylish" animations
>Monster pounds ground
>Roars
Every 10s game ever that features monsters. It's as cliché as the superhero landing.
Also
>Blood splatters on screen
>Everything glows, just because
>>
>>3149841
Yah I bought this and Arcus Odyssey on the same day. My brother was reading the back and got hooked on how it claimed to have over 250 monsters. I told him not to get it because EA sucks ballz. First monster we encounter runs straight at us with his arms up like in pic. Most punches go right thru them unless just right. I did like the music though
>>
>>3149841
I did, it was pretty much a tech demo. Astonishing visuals but mediocre gameplay, which is a Psygnosis trademark.
>>
>>3149841

Played it in mega drive. Loved it. The first game that actually made me consider buying a mega drive as a kid.
It was something about the atmosphere.
Finished it rather recently...about a year ago? Maybe two.
Loved it. Tried the sequel but was not as good.
>>
>>3150580

dude you bought the game that took me the longest to finish on the mega drive along with the game that took me the shortest.
>>
File: Agony_(Amiga)_13.png (15KB, 576x428px) Image search: [Google]
Agony_(Amiga)_13.png
15KB, 576x428px
>>3149858
One of the most pleasant surprises I had was that the Psygnosis library was generally about as pretty and interesting as its boxart.

They weren't always the best games, but fuck if they weren't memorable.
Agony for example. Yes, there are better SHMUPs out there, but none quite feel like Agony.
>>
File: agony007.png (30KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
agony007.png
30KB, 640x480px
>>3150976
>>
File: Agony_(Amiga)_14.png (32KB, 704x560px) Image search: [Google]
Agony_(Amiga)_14.png
32KB, 704x560px
>>3150980
This one is just a reward for finishing a stage. Agony had a lot of these.
>>
File: mist.png (567KB, 1069x701px) Image search: [Google]
mist.png
567KB, 1069x701px
>>3149904
There is something off about it, which is weird considering the grassy overworld is essentially identical.
I feel it's more in the creature's body language than anything. He's going full captain badass, when in the original he didn't really give any particular vibe one way or another. You could just as easily see him as a starving survivor or a soldier on a warpath. Like so many psygnosis games it left a lot of the imagination.

The monster and ship designs feel incredibly generic as well. In the pics alone I see bats that are mostly oval-shaped head, an everyday stone and wood fence, a monster as imagined by a five year old, and a very traditional looking blimp. It's a bizarre contrast that shows just how alien this world is, while simultaneously being oddly similar to Earth.

I don't really get any of that with this trailer. Sure, we have the strange mountains and familiar trees and grassland, but that's basically where the similarities stop. Instead of blimps we get your cliche'd insect-like spaceships. Instead of childhood boogeymen we get eyeless fish monsters we've seen before in other games.

Another thing that I know they're gonna get rid of is the almost out of place fantasy angle that the old games provided in lieu in your average "bad guys invaded, you gotta stop em" story. This is gonna be the saddest part in my opinion. The only time I ever got that feeling again was when I started reading Book of the New Sun. It had all the ingredients of a fantasy story, but the visuals and atmosphere was far more alien than what you're used to.

This is just your average sci-fi platformer, except you're one of the aliens.
>>
>>3150146
I'd have made it a truly open, dangerous, largely empty world with the occasional building, forest, or ruined settlement. No copypaste shit either; you'd get a new experience with each particular landmark or interesting change of scenery.
The real meat of the game would be in the underground or wooded dungeon segments, just like with the original. Those would be more mazelike and intricate, and more dangerous. The story would be largely atmospheric, and you might learn some vague things about why you're own your own and in constant danger.

Idk, stick with the old, but update the graphics, engine, and format. Maybe add a cryptic story and mix it in. And for fuck's sake make it difficult. None of this God of War shit.
>>
File: s5D4NkP.jpg (307KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
s5D4NkP.jpg
307KB, 1600x1000px
>>3151374
>>3151381
Yeah, there seems to be no real sense of the exploration of an alien world anymore. No time to drink in the atmosphere or the visuals, emphasis being "the slaughter of enemies".
And where is the music? All of the presentation videos have either gone with ambience or the same generic sounding orchestra you hear in every game these days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwxjGrb9qNo
>>
>>3149841
>Did /vr/ ever play this?
We had this awhile ago, but I'll mention it again: /vr/ can't even name 5 Amiga games.

>>3149858
Some of the ports are way more playable due to the better controller. Like Wolfchild, First Samurai and Super Turrican 3.

>>3150906
>>3150976
Amiga games in generel tended to have really interesting aesthetics and music. They feel distinctively different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH9Ipw_tGCY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPVzTaK8bYY

Wish I could combine Japanese game design and polish with European art and VGM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyIGQ_yeYsI
>>
>>3151634
>/vr/ = whatever kids were in some shit thread I saw a while ago
>>
>>3149841
>Did /vr/ ever play this?
Yes. It's awful.
>>3150976
>Agony
Another awful game. The music is especially attrocious.
>>
>>3151401
>no time to drink in the atmosphere or the visuals
Exactly.

One of their biggest mistakes was deciding to make it a sidescroller. A 3D world would've potentially expanded on the sense of exploration and danger.
There lack of any inspired art designers is also a fatal blow. It's clear that they didn't have any faith in the franchise they were trying to reboot, and wanted to play it as safe as humanly possible.
>>
>>3153893
>There lack of

The*
>>
>>3153764
Ok.
>>
I love this game but damn... is hard!
After much training, I can reach the caste without cheat or save state.
>>
>>3150976
At least the screens reminds me of Kolibri (32x).
>>
>>3149841
Nice graphics
Cool game over screen
Absolutely horrible everything else.
>>
>>3150580
>EA sucks ballz
You were wise beyond your years. I still have nightmares about that Genesis titles, especially Budokan and Buck Rogers.
>>
>>3150580
Arcus Odyssey was tight.
>>
>>3149904
>is missing the point?
So instead of walking left and punching things at the start, you walk RIGHT and punch things? There was nothing special about the game other than its visuals and music, the gameplay itself was terrible.
>>
my first version was sms as well, there is no easy version, but that's because the game sucks cock in the hit detection department.

on one hand you could say it's a shame, but on the other, it wouldn't be so notorious and cool a game if it was beatable without severe patience and autism.

its kind of like cv3 for me, except that game is actually doable without having to master the game's flaws, which is some backwards shit.
>>
>>3154462
Oh come on, Budokan is good.
>>
Is that the game they play in Terminator 2?
>>
>>3154471
>I haven't beaten Shadow of the Beast

lel
>>
File: 202.gif (59KB, 300x321px) Image search: [Google]
202.gif
59KB, 300x321px
>all these gays who couldn't get good
>>
>>3154471
>visuals and music

Watch the remake trailer again. The remake has neither of what made the original worth playing.
>>
>>3154591
You walk left and go down a tree into a dungeon, grab a jewel from a grotesque fire-breathing demon, use the power from the jewel to kill a giant mass of bones, continue through the dungeon avoiding rocket thrusters and the literal psygnosis logo, beat the life out of a skinless dragon, go into a castle, punch your way through it, grab a jetpack for a bastard hard genre shift, kill an eldritch abomination of a boss, leave the castle, start running right and punching everything in your way, and then kill a 500ft tall giant by repeatedly punching his toe.

I know how the game goes, mate.
>>
>>3154614
If you don't consider all of that awesome, then I guess we just can't get along, m8.

The remake isn't gonna be nearly as interesting.
>>
>>3154614

I've never played it but damn that sounds awesome
>>
>>3154614
the thing is, though, you jump in not having a clue what to do and that's a lot of shit you have to discover. remakes gonna hold your hand
>>
>>3154614
That's a Souls game. Pretty sure you just described a Souls game.
>>
File: 35lvl28.png (218KB, 429x423px) Image search: [Google]
35lvl28.png
218KB, 429x423px
>>3154614
>there's nothing special about the game
>lists all the cool shit that made the game special
>>
>>3154626
Modern games don't hold your hand any more than old ones did. You just have a major confirmation bias made up from games you only pretended to play.
>>
>>3154649
>literally believing this nonsense
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 278x181px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 278x181px
>>3154649
>>
>>3154649
(you)
>>
>>3154614
I know how the remake goes too, brah.

>go right
>punch some generic aliens
>run into a bigger generic alien
>get some generic power-ups
>probably run around on that big generic spider ship punching some more generic aliens
>punch the biggest generic alien
>credits
>>
File: holy shit.jpg (27KB, 480x272px) Image search: [Google]
holy shit.jpg
27KB, 480x272px
>>3154649
>>
>>3154859
>>3154667
>>3154665
>>3154656
Sorry faggots, but it's true. You only pretend they do that because they explain the controls to you in-game when it's relevant instead of in the manual before it's relevant.

This shit was done back in Soul Reaver.
>>
>>3154880
But that's 5th gen, try going back earlier.
Shadow of the Beast is particularly unforgiving without save states.
>>
File: deadspace6.jpg (51KB, 580x400px) Image search: [Google]
deadspace6.jpg
51KB, 580x400px
>>3154880
>he thinks it stops at tutorials

Have you not played a modern game? The only equivalent to shit like pic related was (rarely) in the back of the manual behind a "DON'T TURN THIS UNLESS YOU'RE A PUSSY" page, and only covered the first stage.
>>
>>3154880
You're legitimately retarded. Many AAA games practically have built-in strategy guides.
There's a difference between being told the basic controls and being told exactly where to go at every turn.
>>
>>3154903
Then don't play AAA games then. They're almost always bad.
>>
>>3154904
Why the fuck else do you think I'm here talking about an Amiga game you don't like?
>>
>>3154894
I don't think you have. I recently played through Alien Isolation, DmC, Dark Souls 2, and Dragon's Dogma. Most hand-holding I got was being able to respec skillpoints in DmC.

Which was already in DMC4 by the way.
>>
>>3154918
>DmC

For your benefit, I'm gonna just call this bait and pretend this retarded conversation never happened.
>>
>>3154903
>Implying that any game beyond Ultima 4 didn't explicitly say where to go
>>
File: Night-Slashers-280x210.jpg (21KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
Night-Slashers-280x210.jpg
21KB, 280x210px
>>3154894
Only other thing I can think of is the "you can go now" arrows in beat-em-ups.
>>
>>3154919
DmC was decent though, and the proper series can learn a few things from it, like instant access to five weapons and Vergil having an actual mode
And don't give me crap about how it "ruined dante", a half-demon badass with a longcoat, an awesome sword, white hair, daddy issues, a fucking demon form, and hates his brother? That's straight out of a gaia online roleplay.
>>
>>3149904
>missing the point
Huge understatement. After that bullshit I've only got their word that this is gonna have any fantasy elements at all, and none of them particularly mysterious. What a fucking disgrace. What next, an Out of This World remake where Lester Knight Chaykin is a special ops veteran on top of being a physicist?
>>
>>3154938
>>>/v/

This is a board about retro games. The Devil May Cry series is not retro.
>>
>>3154940
>I'M GETTING A REBUTTAL!
>I BETTER SEND HIM TO /v/!!
I've not seen someone this salty since I last read the book of Genesis.
>>
File: S7Pzw95.gif (3MB, 240x196px) Image search: [Google]
S7Pzw95.gif
3MB, 240x196px
>>3154939
>Major Lester Chaykin, codename: Knight
>>
>>3154953
You wanna talk about the merits of the DMC series, there's a board for it. This is not that board.
>>
>>3154956
Damage controlling this fucking hard? Pathetic. You're worse than the gossip rags.
>>
File: 43221_front.jpg (117KB, 640x636px) Image search: [Google]
43221_front.jpg
117KB, 640x636px
>>3150093
Battle of Olympus, maybe?

Also can a janitor please clean up this amiga thread? The shitposting's getting ridiculous.
>>
>>3154614
I don't think a sales brochure could've been more effective.

I really like it so far.
>>
>>3149904
Make the game too different and it will upset the original fans. Make the game too similar to the original formula and it will attract no new players. It's a difficult line to toe. The original SotP gameplay is too primitive to hold up as a modern game for a wide audience. Walk right and punch shit. It was innovative at the time but nowadays even Newgrounds flash games have more nuance.
>>
>>3154985
>Make the game too similar to the original formula and it will attract no new players
Tomb Raider called.
>>
>>3149841
Holy fucking shit!

Every time I mention this game people look at me with bewilderment. This was a HUGE game on the Amiga at the time, considering what it could do. The visuals and audio was amazing, though the gameplay was a little bland and incredibly tough.

Why would SOTB 2 so dark looking?
>>
>>3154995
Tell that to the Uncharted series. All they ever do is build on the formula they established.
>>
>>3154985
See, this is why making it a 3D game with a creative art team and an exploration/difficulty emphasis would've been the better choice. It would essentially end up being a Souls clone, but hey, at least it would be a new take on the concept by a different team.
Instead they kept all of the things we could've handled losing and sacrificed everything that made it famous in the first place.
>>
>>3154995
>>3155002
Tomb Raider and Uncharted are both relatively modern series with varied explorative gameplay in three dimensions. SotP is a rather primitive, gameplay-wise, 2D arcade game. There's a difference.

>>3155008
Agreed.
>>
>>3151401
This doesn't actually too bad and I see they've really tried hard to capture the visuals of the Amiga original, but instead of that cool music that David Whittaker produced, you get generic orchestrial game music.
>>
>>3155015
>Tomb Raider and Uncharted are both relatively modern series with varied explorative gameplay in three dimensions. SotP is a rather primitive, gameplay-wise, 2D arcade game. There's a difference.

Good point.
>>
>>3155019
There are still plenty of aesthetic problems. Monster designs don't look as strange or unique and the HUD is pretty damn ugly and invasive if that's what it's gonna look like.
I'll admit the backgrounds and scenery are definitly shooting for the right look, but even they just seem like the pale imitations they ultimately are.
>>
>>3155102
>pale imitations

That's the problem with reboots. Unless the previous incarnation was a bad adaptation itself (Judge Dredd being rebooted for Dredd for example) remakes by different teams are always going to be imitations. The team should've come up with a new IP that was inspired by their love of Beast, not a remake of Beast itself.
>>
File: The-Beasts.jpg (140KB, 750x505px) Image search: [Google]
The-Beasts.jpg
140KB, 750x505px
>>3154985
>The original SotP gameplay is too primitive to hold up as a modern game for a wide audience.

Of course, you need to update the formula while remaining faithful. But on the later half, turning it into a 2.5d God of War clone/a Mortal Kombat sidescroller is hardly the way to do it.
The original is far from perfect, but I don't think I ever found myself thinking, despite frustrations, that "man, I sure wish it was gorier and let me do awesome QTEs". No, I found myself wanting a more polished action platformer with such an interesting, alien world to explore and great tunes to boot.
This is Rocket Knight/Mirror of Fate/Strider all over again in that, even if it's an ok game, it's just so far removed from the identity of the original beyond some surface similarities it might as well be called something else.
>>
>>3155265
Yeah, at least Mirror of Fate was clearly defined as an alternate take along with Lords of Shadow (which I honestly really enjoyed, as it at least deviated from its source on purpose). That said, this is a weird trend that just doesn't seem to be doing it right.
>>
>>3155265
We already have the definitive side-scrolling brawler. It's called Viewtiful Joe and it features Dante from the Devil May Cry series.
>>
>>3155297
Just makes the reboot even more pointless.
>>
>>3151634
>/vr/ can't even name 5 Amiga games.
that literally has nothing to do with this thread, nice bait attempt tho
>>
>>3149841
I've never played SotB 2 but I have played the first and it was a chore to play, and though still shots of all Shadow of the Beast games look quite pretty I find the games in action to look quite ugly. I'm sure this will piss off all the nostalgia glasses euros that always feel the need to angrily defend their shitty amiga games.
>>
>>3155297
viewtiful joe is over rated as fuck, also not even retro
>>
>>3155398
>nostalgia glasses euros that always feel the need to angrily defend their shitty amiga games.

Yes, you're clearly not baiting for replies. You are absolutely up for reasonable discussion.
>>
>>3155398
>nostalgia glasses

Where do you think we are?
>>
>>3155413
liking older games is not the same as going on about how great older games are purely out of blind nostalgia.
>>
>>3155432
Not everyone here is. I played Beast a few months ago, having never heard of it before. I thought it didn't quite have the polish it needed to be great, but in the end it was rewarding and interesting game that kept me going to the end.

If you don't like it, that's your prerogative, but there's no point in looking down on others for liking what you don't.
>>
>>3155265
>The original is far from perfect, but I don't think I ever found myself thinking, despite frustrations, that "man, I sure wish it was gorier and let me do awesome QTEs".

It's like awesome QTEs are all these devs know.
It's clear that these guys are new to the scene and are under the watchful eye of their publisher. They're gonna play it safe as hell just to keep their jobs.
>>
>>3149841
I watched an episode of some Finnish guy's youtube LP of the game. Jesus Christ that was boring, and also the game is weirdly unpleasant to look at in a way I can't really put my finger on.
>>
>>3155446
I wasn't really talking about just about Beast, really maybe I should give it a second try, just there is this subset of Amiga fanboys that always throw around like 5 to 10 games as if they are the pinicale of gaming and proof that their system is the best system ever and I'm kind of sick of seeing it all the time where ever there are euro gamers. Sorry for going on a bit of tirade when that wasn't really what was going on in the thread at all.
>>
>>3155984
Yeah, I wouldn't say they're the greatest games of all time. Underrated, sure, but there are certainly better games out there.
>>
File: not poop.png (155KB, 500x288px) Image search: [Google]
not poop.png
155KB, 500x288px
>>3155969
Never watch retro LPs unless they're handled by the only professional.
>>
>>3154938
>Vergil having an actual mode
didn't dmc3 did this
>>
>>3154959
too aggressive, dude. chill. we're among friends here
>>
File: ca4.gif (26KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
ca4.gif
26KB, 400x400px
>>3156069
back to your containment thread weeb
>>
>>3156105
Make me.
>>
>>3149841
Best Game Over screen ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGf5xpaRIx8

What a magical time to grow up in.
>>
>>3149841
Had it on the Amiga. The graphics and music used so spellbind my when I was a kid. Even now I still think it looks and sounds great, but the gameplay itself is pretty poor, simplistic and often unfair. Most Psynosis followed this trend. Their boxart was god tier.
>>
>>3156393
I believe that music was a direct sample from an episode of Miami Vice.
>>
File: 47408_back.jpg (217KB, 640x882px) Image search: [Google]
47408_back.jpg
217KB, 640x882px
>>3149858
Risky Woods and The Killing Game Show/Fatal Rewind all day every day baby
>>
>>3149841
Wich version is the "easiest"
Also the AMiga version is the best version?
>>
>>3157330
Only ever played Amiga version, but somebody up here said there is no easiest version.
>>
>>3156430
Yeah, I play psygnosis games to relax and enjoy the atmosphere. Even its fans know that the games themselves aren't masterpieces.
>>
>>3157330
>Also the AMiga version is the best version?
There is nothing I cold say nor no pic I could post to express my utter disdain for your unimaginable ignorance on this subject.
Yes
>>
I thought this intro was God tier when I first saw it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcOkQKeDigs
>>
>>3149841
One of my favorites. I got really good at it back in the day, too, even with the fucked up US version.

I'd be interested in the remake, but I don't have nor will I ever get a PS4. It sure looks a hell of a lot better than it did a year ago though.
>>
>>3159581
I never thought I would either, but goddamn it's like at least half of its exclusives appeal to me.
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.