[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some of the worst RPGs you've played? I can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 20

File: image.jpg (59KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 540x405px
What are some of the worst RPGs you've played? I can't think of any that really stand out, besides the obvious choices of virtual hydlide or beyond the beyond. I wanna hear stories and experiences.
>>
FF8
>>
File: Wizardry4_1988_ad_zps2540bccc.jpg (89KB, 775x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Wizardry4_1988_ad_zps2540bccc.jpg
89KB, 775x1024px
Wizardry 4
I've played shoddily designed RPGs but Wiz 4 had a lot of thought and testing put into it. Unfortunately it all went into making the game as unforgiving as possible.
>>
>>3149518
Lufia & The Fortress of Doom.

it does 2 things fairly well, and thats the intro, and the ending. Everything else is grindy, uninspired, and irrelevant to the over arching plot fetch quests.
>>
File: 1457585202558.png (648KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1457585202558.png
648KB, 1500x1000px
>>3149564
Final Fantasy IX. It's only loved because everyone hates VIII so much and it's nostalgia pandering and whimsical.

Kind of those star wars fans that hate the prequels so much, they jump through cognitive loops to justify The Force Unleased being a good movie because "it's not the prequels and it's got the old cast n shit and like x-wings n tie fighters yo".
>>
File: git gud fgt.jpg (56KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
git gud fgt.jpg
56KB, 500x312px
>>3149587
>as unforgiving as possible.

Yes, yes it is. That's the whole point, in fact.
>>
>>3149646
Yeah, IX probably comes up pretty high for me. Everyone always tells me that I will like it because I'm a big fan of IV and it's supposed to be a big "return to the roots" or some such bullshit, but it's not like earlier games at all and I can't look past that bullshit selling point far enough to find a decent game in there.
>>
>>3149564
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbbpSX55q6k
>>
>>3149518

Paladin's Quest is probley the worst JRPG I have ever played and I still kinda like it.

Lots of weird mechanics, spells are cast from hitpoints and also have their own levels. You need other elements to make other spells, like needing the wind element to give a different elemental spell an AOE attack. There was no healing magic.

You had two characters in the game and the rest were mercenaries, you couldn't give them spells or gear and the majority of them had virtually no story interaction. Your own characters likewise never talked to anyone.

In battle you could use ANYTHING you had equipped, you could kick an opponent with your boots, headbutt with your helmet, shield bash or use your armor somehow which usually did nothing. Using potions had to be in a BTL on your belt. Healing items or even bombs had to be equipped but since healing could only be done with an equipment slot you would use it for a healing BTL.

The story was about as generic as it gets, young kid goes out to do shit to save world. It has a passable amount of twists to keep it from being a total cliche.

The game is absolutely ugly as shit and has a significant difficulty spike at the end.
>>
File: ebin cool.jpg (97KB, 792x558px) Image search: [Google]
ebin cool.jpg
97KB, 792x558px
>>3149691
Say Phantasy Star if you want to feel gods wrath. Trolls just arent the same these days.
>mfw
>>
Tecmo's Secret of the Stars is much worse than Beyond the Beyond or Virtual Hydlide.
>>
>>3149729
I don't think it's the worst but yeah, I played some of it and it was disappointing.

Granted, it was disappointing because I kept hearing (well, reading online) about how amazing and deep it is, people (a lot of people) calling it the greatest RPG ever made, and it just... didn't even come close to measuring up to all that hype. I thought the battle system was clever and innovative and I'm fine with the concept of having to rely on mercenaries to fill out your party, but the game itself was just unpleasant to look at, and the story fell pretty well short of the amazing, jaw-dropping epic guaranteed to reduce me to a sobbing heap that I'd been promised. Honestly, like you said, the story seemed pretty generic. I'm not sure why it gets hyped so much.
>>
Secret of the Stars
Beyond the Beyond
Battle Hunter
FFVIII
FFII
Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth
Quest 64

I'd have way more to add if this wasn't VR. Like FFXIII, Evergrace and Lunar: Dragon Song.
>>
>>3149518
Dragon Quest 1-3
Do not play them, they are trash
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (50KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
s-l400.jpg
50KB, 400x400px
I remember Blue Breaker being so boring that I quit in the middle, but it's been so long I don't recall the details. Maybe I should give it another chance.
>>
>>3149804
>DQIII
>trash

I'm guessing you've played 1, heard people trash talk 2, and assumed 3 should be lumped in with them too.

3 was better than 4 and is one of the best games in the series.
>>
>>3149646
that god awful writing is giving me a headache

its so bad its causing physical pain
>>
>>3149587
>You're Werdna.
>You're alive.
>You want revenge.
>Your magical powers are as weak as a babe.
>Note: this is an Expert level Scenario
>not reading the print
>1987+29
>>
Hoshi wo Miru Hito is the worst RPG ever created, by far. Nothing else even comes close.
>>
Paladin Quest
Beyond the Beyond
Final Fantasy 4
Lufia 1 - Fortress of Doom
>>
>>3149878
Tell me more, these things amuse me.
>>
>>3149878
Super Monkey Daibouken might be worse
>>
>>3149518
Fuck you BtB is awesome.
>>
>>3149646

Came here to post this.

I got to Disc 3 as a kid before I got stuck (never did any grinding, ran away from lots of random encounters because I was bad at games) and my memory card died not long after. I tried to replay it recently and everything about it pisses me off. Didn't even make it past the first Disc before I called it quits.

I guess replaying it as an adult makes things that were cute and charming to 8 year old me just infuriating.

>I legitimately don't understand how someone is supposed to like Vivi
>>
>>3150058
I'm a gigantic pussy so I find many things charming and endearing, so I still enjoy 9. I can respect your viewpoint though since it makes sense.
>>
>>3150062
Beta faggots like you let Toriyama and Nomura run Final Fantasy into the ground and turn it into the fuckboi fest it is today.

Please die ASAP.
>>
>>3150069
Well, I'm only a pussy behind closed doors in video games. Also, I doubt me liking a game from when I was a child really "ran things into the ground" since the person I responded to liked it at the time as well. The games already been supported man, my copies were bought long ago so it has no bearing on today's state since I don't really buy much for new games. In fact, I can't remember the last game I've bought new, everything is always second hand so don't go blaming me ya douche. Also, just because I'm a gigantic pussy about my rose tinted childhood, it doesn't make me a beta, some serious projection from you homeslice.
>>
>>3150086
Jesus Christ, sorry your life sucks this bad man. Have fun being this salty about FFIX, I hope other mundane things like untied shoes and a dirty gutter make you this infuriated as well because this is hilarious.
>>
>>3150098
He's right tho, you sound really gay and FF9 was for babies.
>>
>>3150062

It dosen't help me that the only characters that I found relatable as an adult were Steiner and Freya.

Steiner gets shit on alot by other characters for basically being a responsible adult. Kid me thought this was hilarious and adult empathizes with his struggle. His sentiment of "god damnit Garnet shut up and get in the bag so we can go home before I get executed for this" is pretty understandable.

Freya literally suffers what she directly calls a fate "worse than death" when the writers forgot she existed after the first few hours. I find the source of her angst substantially more relatable than Vivi moping because he's a fire spitting tarbaby. Amarant gets the 'included just so the job is available while in battle' treatment worse but I liked Freya's plot more.

Also Burmecia (both versions) is one of the most aesthetically pleasing parts of that game to me.

>>3150069
>>3150086
Not my posts btw.
>>
>>3150102
Lmao, it's hilarious because you all come off as mad 18 year olds. It's not even hard to trigger any of you.
>>
ITT: Barneyfag arguing with Barneyfag over FFIX.
>>
>>3150105
For me, FFIX is a nice game visually, has a few fun bosses like OZMA, and a good soundtrack. I tend to just take characters for what they're trying to go for and emphasize in the way I'm able to, if I am. I too enjoy Steiner quite a bit, but I'm not so harsh on Vivi. I enjoyed their little duo's dynamic as well.

I fucking hate Amarant though and how he's thrown at you, so I agree there. Mainly, I enjoy the relatively simplistic story and at least the attempts at building some story for each character and am able to overlook their flaws or areas where I don't really relate to them as much. Overall, it's a game I just can ride along with and I don't have to ask any questions, but I can't argue with people not enjoying that because it's definitely not a one size fits all.
>>
>>3150107
You sound REALLY fucking gay dude. Like, holy shit.
>>
Rivera The Promised Land. A friend gave it a GLOWING review. So I gave it a shot, turns out he never played it, just liked the artwork. That game was garbage.
>>
>>3150121
I'm not, but even if I was, what's the point man? Why would that matter? Doesn't change the fact that you get this assmad over a video game you dislike and subsequently respond in a way where you point out completely unrelated topics to try to string together a completely disconnected argumentative point. If you want me to be a hostile cockmunch like the rest of you /v/ invaders, well too bad. It's like you can't express an opinion without resorting to insults as seen in the previous sentence. Go get some higher learning from a real accredited university, get a job, and have a family so you learn that talking shit and having internet cred isn't the sole goal in life.
>>
>>3150128
It's okay to be gay, you don't have to get mad dude. lol
>>
>>3150129
Im happy you can't read at all. Hope my kids never turn out this way.
>>
>>3150138
But I'm not gay, and nor have I said so. For you to project this much, and to spend so much time doing so is sad. Actually, it's really pathetic. I hope you realize how poorly you've chosen to live your life one day inside of Mom's basement and the crippling depression eats you away as you remember how you called so many anon's gay in your life when it was truly you that was the homosexual. Subsequently you will go on a manic spree and most likely take others lives as well as your own, because you are a sad, feeble, disgrace of a human. And I do have pity for you, but that's all man, just loads of pity. See ya, I'd say go talk to a priest but they aren't a fan of homosexuals, so try to figure this one out for yourself.
>>
File: image.png (192KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
192KB, 640x1136px
>>3150157
Nah, I'm honestly just seeing how this guy replies since he seems to have a deep fear of his homophobic nature and keeps projecting it onto me. I just wanted to state my thoughts about FFIX with the other guy, but this dude is hellbent on trying to prove he has a big dick or that his life isn't awful.
>>
>>3150164
That's nice!
>>
>>3150169
Like I said dude, it's okay to be gay. You can stop now
>>
>>3150162
This post there, is my last pertinent post, I'm done responding to the guy so anything after that one ain't me, dude who is extremely upset at me for liking FFIX.
>>
File: 1454634672327.gif (2MB, 285x285px) Image search: [Google]
1454634672327.gif
2MB, 285x285px
What even happened to this thread
>>
>>3150207
Butt-mad FF9 fanboy got butt-mad because someone insulted his favorite game so he started spamming.
>>
>>3150212
Nigga we know it's you.
>>
Why do people hate FF IX when it's objectively the best FF on the Playstation and arguably the best in the franchise?

>best side content (chocobos and Tetra Master)
>best OST by a fucking mile
>best character design and development
>best battle system and ability systems
>coolest, most cohesive world

The only thing, the literal only thing I can think of about this game that I dislike is the Trance system. Everything else is cream of the crop.
>>
>>3150227
>objectively
>>
>>3150227
FFVIII has a better OST though, love both but still.
>>
OP here, I got a few good posts but I also forgot I was posting on neo/vr/.

Totally forgot about Quest64.
>>
>>3150227
>Why do people hate FF IX when it's objectively the best FF on the Playstation
One,
>objectively
Two, why is the fact that it was on the PSX supposed to matter at all when all of the SNES and most of the NES FFs were better than all of the PSX ones?
>>
>>3150284

>the NES FFs
>good at all

It's time to stop posting. FF1 was good for its time but more or less completely archaic by now, FF2 was never good and FF3 is basically just the NES version of FF5. As for SNES FFs, 4 is the only one that even comes close to being as good as 9.
>>
>>3150296
5 & 6 are simply better games than 4.

5 has much better gameplay and actual customization, 6 has lesser degree of customization, but the scenario is far more interesting than 4.
>>
>>3150296
Wow, hot opinions guy. Tell me, is it an enjoyable existence gaining your only sustenance through the consumption of human feces?
>>
>>3150310

>you eat shit

Epic response, m'non. The only people who think 1 and 2 are still good are the same retards who have only played 5 or 6 JRPGs in their life and think they know their shit. 3 is the only NES game that still holds up.
>>
>>3150325
>The only people who think 1 and 2 are still good are the same retards who have only played 5 or 6 JRPGs in their life and think they know their shit.

Epic generalization, m'mon.
>>
>>3150331

The only way you'd think those games hold up is a lack of experience with the genre.

Then again, this board is absolutely full to the gills with contrarian retards screaming "no guys FF2 is seriously really good just play it the right way."
>>
>>3150337
You're the contrarian retard here swinging your dick around establishing which Final Fantasies are OBJECTIVELY the best.

You're so full of shit it's like a parody of a human being.
>>
>>3150346

You still haven't made any points for me to argue with, it's just me stating my opinion using popular 4chan lingo and you getting really really mad.

>he thinks rudimentary NES JRPGs can compete with actual good games
>>
>>3150325
>The only people who think 1 and 2 are still good are the same retards who have only played 5 or 6 JRPGs in their life and think they know their shit

I wouldn't even say that much about 2. The only people who think 2 is good are hipsters who've most likely never played it.
>>
>>3150352
>my taste>your taste

blah blah typical /v/ermin bullshit.
>>
Beyond the Beyond is expensive, jesus.
>>
>>3150365

>i'm mad as fuck and can't back up my opinions

If you don't want to talk, why go online at all?
>>
File: 1453125073540.jpg (33KB, 500x399px) Image search: [Google]
1453125073540.jpg
33KB, 500x399px
>>3150365
Stop responding to bait you stupid fuck, jesus.
>>
>>3150375

Is liking FF9 considered bait at this point? All I ever see are the same tired "muh slow battles" meme.
>>
thanks for killing my thread you weirdos
>>
>>3150378

Honestly, why even make a thread for "hurr durr what games are the worst?" That's just a poor excuse for someone to post a popular game and watch the butthurt flow.

Why can't you make a thread about games you like.
>>
>>3150384
Because the exact same thing happens, or its the same repeated opinions/games.

Saw a few posts in here of games I haven't heard of and I will check them out. RPGs are usually held to a specific standard and so it's cool to see flat out duds, and maybe even play them so I can see what they were thinking.
>>
>>3150378
You deserve it for thinking that you can own a thread. If you can't cope with people responding to what you say, then don't fucking say it.
>>
>>3150397
lmao
>>
>>3150394

If you want a shit JRPG, play Hoshi wo Miru Hito.
>>
File: 1460486387147.png (74KB, 184x208px) Image search: [Google]
1460486387147.png
74KB, 184x208px
One commited shitposter and a mentally ill faggot can derail a thread so fast.
>>
>>3149564
kiss my ass buddy maybe you should try no posting bad opinions sometimes motherfucker
>>
Ultima Ascension - I admit I didn't get very far but the controls were crap and I had no ideal where to go.
Traysia - The combat was terrible, story was weak
However, I still find some good things about these games. Traysia had some good music and I did like the huge towns.
>>
Arc the Lad ps2
Vagriant Story
Dark Cloud
>>
>>3149646
You guys seem to be ignoring the fact that Zidane is just a better character,

That image is also fucking retarded. Take it to tumblr where it belongs.
>>
>>3150470
Zidane is A) a cunt, and B) an incredibly stereotypical "loveable rogue"/"thief with a heart of gold" cliche. Being a biological robot Saiyan doesn't make him less of a cliche.
>>
Time Stalkers
Quest 64
>>
>>3149619
I've always wanted to play it to soak in the game's "feel", but the more I read about it the more people relate that it has aged terribly.

I wish I could have gotten around to emulating all these games when they were younger.
>>
>>3149518
I was disappointed with the ass-half of Xenogears.

Yes I know the first part was a great game but god damn, you simply read dialogue and watch scripted scenes for like hours and hours later on in that game.

I felt it was rushed to market.

Also there was Ultima 8 and 9. Both were just terrible.
>>
>>3150483
>Time Stalkers
Gotcha Simon.
>>
>>3150479

Zidane grew up with a bunch of easy going rogues though so it isn't really a big deal for him to be one.

When confronted about his true purpose he does start angsting the fuck out but does what either Cloud or Squall should've and got the fuck over it in less than fifty steps.
>>
File: inindo.jpg (19KB, 256x187px) Image search: [Google]
inindo.jpg
19KB, 256x187px
I thought this was pretty shit as a kid, funny thing is few reviews I've found about it actually say it's good.

All I remember is no clear indication of where to go and easily ending in high level dungeons by accident. The graphics and music were not very appealing either, I still find the dungeon theme pretty haunting to this day.
>>
>>3149691
Tell me. What did you find about the game that took away from the experience?
>>
>>3149978
Great article about it here

> In some cases, though, the quality control is so disastrously nonexistent that some titles can transcend being merely a Bad Game. Hoshi wo Miru Hito (which translates roughly as "Stargazer") is an RPG that's hilariously embarrassing on just about every level. It was published by Hot-B, one of those cryptically prolific Japanese publishers from the 80s that somehow managed to stay in business despite rarely putting out anything of real worth - to parallel a Western company, they're similar to Ocean, who subsisted on tons of licensed garbage for the Commodore 64 and Amiga despite their games being almost universally trashy. Hoshi wo Miru Hito is so awful that it's been given the title of "legendary shit game" ("densetsu no kusoge" is the official term) by Japanese fans, effectively regarding it as one of the worst video games ever made. And this was by the country that brought us Hydlide.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/stargazer/stargazer.htm
>>
>>3149670
>>3149848
The problem is that it just isn't fun.
I'm not going to waste months trying to prove myself.
>>
>>3150832
I thought Inindo was actually really good. It definitely shows its age, though.
>>
>>3150863
Well Cloud is a whiny little bitch for one thing. For two, Sephiroth looked like a fag and was a faggy pathetic mama's boy. Third, the game looks like shit. Fourth, the minigames are shit. Fifth, the game is shit in general.
>>
>>3150813
>When confronted about his true purpose he does start angsting the fuck out but does what either Cloud or Squall should've and got the fuck over it in less than fifty steps.

And this is why Zidane > Cloud or Squall.
Also, his name sounds better.
>>
Sword of Vermilion is the only RPG I remember seriously disliking but I haven't played it in years. Phantasy Star 3 was uninteresting and slow but I don't know if it's outright bad.
>>
>>3149646

I like all three of the Playstation era Final Fantasy games, and IX is my absolute favorite.

It has a protagonist that isn't anything like Cloud was in the beginning of 7 or Squall was. He's ready to do his part from the start and is a ladies man. That image doesn't do any of those characters justice and frankly I don't respect your opinion.

>>3150058

>Everything about it pisses me off
>I legitimately don't understand how someone is supposed to like Vivi

You're a huge fucking tryhard faggot piece of shit. You're free to dislike Vivi but really dude I don't see how the game "pisses you off". The game is beyond you, just let it go.
>>
File: Ancient-Magic-Brick-Wall.png (15KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Ancient-Magic-Brick-Wall.png
15KB, 256x224px
>>3149878
At least the battles are fast and the music is tolerable for an NES game.

My vote for the worst RPG I've played goes to Ancient Magic: Bazoo! Mahou Sekai. My main complaints are that battles are annoyingly SLOW and magic spells miss 1/2 of the time regardless of your stats or level. Music varies from very bad to good. Unfortunately, the very bad music happens to be the battle music.

Despite the flaws, the game has some cool features like tactical positioning during battles, magic specialization, difficulty scaling to discourage grinding, day night cycles that might have various effects on spells and enemies, limits on the number of spells you can carry at any one time to discourage spell spamming, and public transportation between towns. Unfortunately, most of these features are too poorly implemented to make the game enjoyable.
>>
File: dark spire.gif (30KB, 256x384px) Image search: [Google]
dark spire.gif
30KB, 256x384px
>random encounter
>20+ enemies
>every fight takes an hour, if you survive
>take three steps and there's another fight
yeah nah this game can fuck right off
>>
I tend to stop playing and just forget the really bad ones. The only truly bad games I remember are the ones that are well known because of the betrayal one feels getting a shit entry in a franchise you know well. But let's not talk about Final Fantasy.
>>
>>3150998
>Someone doesn't like FFIX
>Proceeds to cuss them out and claim "the game is beyond you"

I'm not even the person you replied to, but this is the typical shit that I hear whenever anyone criticizes FFIX. You guys have this stick so far up your ass that I'm surprised Square isn't paying you to defend IX.

I don't like IX. IX is the most bland of the PS1 era games. It tries to be a throwback to the SNES era FF games, and does a pretty good job if your vision of the SNES FF games is through glasses smeared with Vaseline and all you can see is a generic JRPG.

You call him a tryhard piece of shit but here you are stomping your feet on the ground man, take your retard pills.
>>
>>3151115

I'm calling him a tryhard piece of shit because he is trying to sound mature and shit by saying it just pisses him off. He doesn't even explain why the game pisses him off.

You fags can never properly criticize the game.
>>
>>3149587
>Unfortunately it all went into making the game as unforgiving as possible.
That was exactly the point, silly do-gooder.
>>3149775
>Battle Hunter
Battle Hunter was hardly a RPG, it was more of a weird tabletop game, kinda like monopoly in a way, I actually think that for a super low budget game it was bretty gud, but I can understand people buying it for the RPG side and finding out it's basically a multiplayer tabletop game with stats.
>FFII
It's my favorite FF so I won't comment on that, I understand why people don't like it.
>>3150461
>Vagriant Story
>Disliking VS

Lotsa questionable choices ITT.

Overall I can't say I've played many completely awful RPGs outside of the usual ones like Secret of the Stars, mostly because the vast majority of them are just really average and not that bad at the end of the day while others have great ideas implemented poorly, just many 5/10 really, if I had to choose some really catastrophically bad games I'd have to dig deep into the genre and bring out titles like the First Queen series, but even then it had at least good boxarts.
>>
>>3151115

Are you serious?

The anon you're defending posted probably what is the worst criticism I have ever seen of a game.

>It just makes me so mad I don't even know why!
>How can anyone like this poor little Black Mage who feels alone in the world and is trying to figure out his purpose? Fuck that guy and fuck people that like him!!!!!

Really faglord, if you want to get down to it, he was the retard. IX is better than the SNES games bar 5 anyway. Your taste is awful.
>>
I hated Azure dreams, though some people seemed to like it. The idea of going through the same dungeon over and over again with the bullshit excuse that it is different each time, and going to the same town over and over again.... Still finished it and was of course disappointed. Being a kid with too much time on his hands will do that.

And there was one called Monster Seed. That I did not finish, but it was a travesty.
>>
>>3151125
>That was exactly the point, silly do-gooder.
There's a point where unforgiving turns into needless frustration. W4 crosses that point multiple times.
>>
>>3151129
It felt like an insult to people asking for a challenging Wizardry.
>>
>>3151060
They just took JRPG standard game mechanics to their logical conclusion anon.

The goal is to be as irritating and grindey as possible while you ride on rails from location to location, from story to story.

I mean you can't really even choose much of the story of most JRPGs. You just sorta do what they planned out for you, and grind about a million enemies along the way.

This is JRPG gaming in a nutshell and the exceptions are usually notable for being exceptions to this rule.
>>
>>3151129
>W4 crosses that point multiple times.
That's the point of the game, and it was stated multiple times, by the devs themselves, it was meant to be a special game for all the hardcore RPG masochists out there, and it really delivers.

Though even outside of that, Wizardry IV has some very interesting design choices, like the lack of conventional character levels, I can understand that you found it excessively frustrating, even though again, that was the point, but it's not a bad game at all, it has very few design flaws even today.

But then again, to each his own, there's people who like the first trilogy, people who like IV and others who only like VIII, it's all about tastes in the end, the whole series is well known and respected for a lot of good reasons.
>>3151135
How many JRPGs have you played?
>>
>>3151140

Don't respond to retards who have obviously only played 3 or 4 JRPGs in their lives.
>>
>>3151140
I can't really see anybody enjoying Wizardry 4. Only forcing themselves through it in some way and then taking pride in surviving the torture.
>>
>>3151140
>How many JRPGs have you played?
Many since the 1980s. Dozens to completion, maybe hundreds including rentals that I never cared for, etc.

More than you, youngster.
>>
>>3151134
Fun fact: that's basically what it was. The gist of it is that some fans were complaining that Wizardry was too easy and not challenging at all, and he was basically like "you fags want challenging, I'll fucking show you challenging".
>>
File: 33574-Drakkhen_(USA)-2.jpg (16KB, 388x266px) Image search: [Google]
33574-Drakkhen_(USA)-2.jpg
16KB, 388x266px
<<< This game is so bad on nearly every level of gameplay. Confusing controls that aren't explained in either the game OR the manual; random encounters with high level creatures that will TPK your party instantly with no chance to run; dungeons that are a pain to navigate because of the weird camera perspective; a barren and empty overworld that is also somehow difficult to navigate because of the weird first-person controls; frustrating real-time combat that you barely have any control over.

It's bad, it's real bad. The PC version might be better, but good God the SNES version is ass.
>>
>>3151143
Yes because it isn't the fans who deliver the harshest nitpicks of a game or genre.

You're just memeing here.
>>
>>3151150
>I can't really see anybody enjoying Wizardry 4
Well, I did. I think it's one of the greatest games of all time once you get it going. Though I again, it really all comes down to what you want from a game.
>>3151157
>Dozens to completion, maybe hundreds including rentals that I never cared for, etc.
So you never played more than a handful of them, let alone good ones, we get it gramps back to the rocking chair with ya.
>>
>>3151164
No I've played hundreds, all the even semi-worthwhile ones.

There are only a couple dozen REALLY good JRPGs anyway, if you were a fan of the genre you'd already know this. The rest are pathetically formulaic.
>>
>>3151115

>but this is the typical shit that I hear whenever anyone criticizes FFIX

Incorrect. That is the type of response just about anyone gets with a half-assed criticism like "it just makes me mad!".

Even your criticism of it is fucking half-assed.

>Its bland
>It tries to be a throwback

It's incredibly lazy and insulting partially because you fucks actually believe you're being mature with this criticism when you aren't. I don't even like IX much, but I know I'd call someone a shitstain sandwich if they didn't bother to actually explain what they didn't like about a game I loved. Welcome to 4chan by the way.
>>
>>3151169
>There are only a couple dozen REALLY good JRPGs anyway
Pray tell me the titles, O Wise One
>The rest are pathetically formulaic.
Welcome to any kind of media ever&growing older gramps, what's your point again?
>>
>>3151174
>Pray tell me the titles, O Wise One
No, you're a dick.

>what's your point again
That there are only a few dozen good JRPGs and the rest are pathetically formulaic.

I'd have thought you got it considering you admit it's true and quote it right there and all. But millennials and their low-speed educations, what can you do.
>>
>>3150105

>Also Burmecia (both versions) is one of the most aesthetically pleasing parts of that game to me.
This, and the music that plays there always sends a chill down my spine.

On topic, Beyond the Beyond, Lufia and Secret of the Stars are all incredibly generic snoozefests.

Paladin's Quest at least tried to be original and I liked it for what that.

>>3150123
I loved Riviera. It blends RPG, dating sim, CYOA and a quirky battle system for a unique experience.
>>
>>3151178
>No, you're a dick.
I am.
So you really didn't play them, just as I thought.
It's no good to lie on the internet at your age gramps, especially on an anonymous board dedicated to antique computerized knick-knacks&paraphernalia
>you admit it's true and quote it right there and all
Oh silly gramps, you're not taking your pills again, reread my post slowly.
>>
>>3151174
See this is the problem with kids these days, you can't even argue a point properly.

If you have a contention with what I said, please make it known, but otherwise your little game of portraying yourself as some god of gaymen because you discovered your dad's old computer in the attic isn't how you discuss things. It's really a sign of the downfall of gaming as a serious hobby.

So, if you have a point, please make it. I'd love to read something that passes for one.
>>
>>3151191
>So you really didn't play them
You keep saying this but the fact that I don't feel like cataloguing my gaming history for you clearly upsets you, and probably I'm interfering with a point you were going to make about my plebeian taste, etc.

So you get even more butthurt and have to use standard schoolyard bait to provoke a response.

>reread my post

You frankly admitted that most JRPGs are incredibly formulaic. Just frankly. Now you're backpedalling. Everybody is growing older, this doesn't mean that nitpicking a stagnant genre like JRPGs is a sign of dementia. I was nitpicking JRPGs twenty five years ago for the exact same reasons I do today.

Can you delete a post here? You probably should if you can.
>>
>>3151191
>>3151194
>>3151197

do you guys remember what fun is
>>
>>3151197
>but the fact that I don't feel like cataloguing my gaming history for you clearly upsets you

It kinda does, you can't make claims without supporting them gramps, you only look like a senile old codger, or an average teenager from /v/.
>Now you're backpedalling
I'm not, it's you who still didn't read my post carefully, then again, I suppose I've been a little too cryptic for you, old age and all.

You see, everything is formulaic, especially media that is focused on entertainment, 90% of videogames from every genre are formulaic, just like music, books, movies, comics, you name it.

Because that's vastly how it works, you can't make a piece of media inserted in a certain context and not respect certain formulas, it just doesn't work, you can't make a RPG without some sort of skill or stat managing, because that wouldn't be much of a RPG, just like you can't make a thriller without some sort of crime.

Your complaints, which are also mostly false, are basically that, you're complaining about a certain genre being a certain genre, which can be applied to every possible videogame ever, platformers, racing games, fighting games, everything's formulaic, it has to be.
>>3151205
I'm not working today and I just want to have a little fun anon, this thread was mostly garbage to begin with anyway.
>>
Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth

A mediocre story, ridiclous difficulty, no classes or unique abilities (The deities system isn't interesting), repetitive grinding...

FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre are a much better Turn Based RPG.
>>
>>3151209

Of course the thread was shit. It's basically a variation of the "Unpopular opinions" thread.
>>
>>3149518
Legend of Dragoon
Type-0
Suikoden 2
Any of those 1st person dungeon simulators
Most Atlus games
>>3149646
>Final Fantasy IX
Yeah it's rubbish, somehow i finished it though. I was unemployed at the time so i guess that's why. It's pretty funny actually - Square dropped the ball so hard with FF8 that they had to start a PR/Meme campaign by saying that FF9 is "totally going back to the series' roots, like forreals guys!". American magazines of the day ran with it because they're nothing but corporate shills and cunts everywhere fell for it and still believe it.
>>3150227
>objectively
lel
>>
>>3151215
>It's basically a variation of the "Unpopular opinions" thread.
Yeah, pretty much
>>
>>3151209
>It kinda does
I could hear your little hands rubbing as you asked me.

>everything is formulaic
No it's not.

>90% of videogames from every genre are formulaic
OK this I can agree with.

>you can't make a piece of media inserted in a certain context and not respect certain formulas
Why not? Who says?

>you can't make a RPG without some sort of skill or stat managing
Why not? There are examples of RPGs with no stats or skills, Ambermush has been around for decades and there's no skill or stat managing.

>which are also mostly false
No they're not.

>you're complaining about a certain genre being a certain genre
Nope, I'm complaining about a certain genre, JRPGs, being especially formulaic.

>which can be applied to every possible videogame ever
No it can't.

>it has to be
Every genre of all video games are just as formulaic as JRPGs, because you say so. 'It has to be.'

No, no. This isn't an argument either. You're all premises and your conclusion sucks. Where's the reasoning? You'd never get anybody to agree that all video games are incredibly formulaic, and that they're all the same, etc.

Are you angry because I'm picking on the poor Japs? Are you a weeb?
>>
Every Final Fantasy game has been worse than the one before since VII.

Let's not even talk about X, which is probably the worst game I ever played. Worse than Ultima IX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLYWE8u86XM
>>
File: martin-shkreli.0.0.jpg (68KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
martin-shkreli.0.0.jpg
68KB, 1600x900px
>>3151234
>worst game I ever played
* un-ironically played, I've ironically played all the bad games.

I emulate, almost fifteen thousand ROMs in my library.

>TFW you emulate
>>
>>3151227
>your little hands
I have big hands, thanks you.
>No it's not.
Nice point.
>Why not? Who says?
The rules of the game, try making a love story without actual love, a fairy tale that's completely realistic or a SHMUP without shooting.
>Ambermush
MUSHes are cancer and the beginning of the plague that is now known as ERP, they're by far their own genre and the "roleplay" is literally texting your actions and little else.
Sure, if you're a neckbeard into DnD purely for the RP as in living in your imaginary world, they're great, shame they have little in common with the rest of roleplaying videogames.
>No they're not.
Prove it then.
> I'm complaining about a certain genre, JRPGs, being especially formulaic.
Racing games, especially kart games are more formulaic, fighting games are much more formulaic, JRPGs are not as formulaic as you want others to believe, then again, it's not like you could convince people other than those as ignorant as yourself.
I'm pretty sure than games like Bounty Sword, Wild Card, Lunatic Dawn, Moon, Uncharted Waters, Shadow Tower, SaGa, Vampire and a lot of others are exactly the same as your average FF or DQ, amirite.
>Every genre of all video games are just as formulaic as JRPGs
Never said that, those are you own words, there are genres that are more formulaic than JRPG, like the aforementioned ones, and others that are less, like puzzle games.
>Where's the reasoning?
It's pretty clear to anyone who has read more than 3 books in their life and has a decent amount of culture.
>You'd never get anybody to agree that all video games are incredibly formulaic
I don't want to, I've got better things to do with my life than convincing anonymous users to agree with me, I'd rather play more games for instance.
>Are you angry because I'm picking on the poor Japs?
No, I'm mildly pissed by people like you who keep on spreading misinformation based on their own personal bias and ignorance, gramps.
>>
>>3151217
>>Suikoden 2 on the list of worst games

Aaaand, now we came full circle that this is a troll thread.
>>
Earthbound. Literally nothing to it except "muh humor", and for those who don't really get them it's pretty bland and boring.
>>
>>3149672
>Yeah, IX probably comes up pretty high for me. Everyone always tells me that I will like it because I'm a big fan of IV and it's supposed to be a big "return to the roots" or some such bullshit, but it's not like earlier games at all and I can't look past that bullshit selling point far enough to find a decent game in there.
this is really pretty much my own experience. never considered the game a nostalgia trip at all, it was just a quality game for me. and by quality i mean, the attention to detail was mind-boggling and everything about it just showed how experienced and well-verse the developers have become with the playstation. the sounds and sound effects, color hues, but graphics, it's all top tier craftsmanship. wasn't that big a fan of the story, but i really appreciate the game and greatly enjoyed my experience with it.
>>
>ctrl+F vandal hearts
>0 results

i did not very much enjoy my time with this game
>>
>>3151269
Seconded, it's cute but that wears awfully thin awfully fast.
>>
>>3151252
>spreading misinformation
You're a quality memer, you are.

My opinion that Jap RPGs are formulaic is now misinformation according to you. Anyway you're cute, you sure get riled up easily. Maybe that's why can't you talk about the actual subject, which is disappointing games that we've played.

This is, again, the problem with millennials. You don't know how to frame an argument, or participate in a discussion. Just how to mine for (You)'s.

It's not as if I invaded your safe space and said mean words or clapped loudly. I'm just in here talking about how formulaic most JRPGs are.
>>
Probably Koryu Densetsu Villgust, graphics and music are as unappealing as can be and it's super bland and formulaic. It had some fun ideas like limited encounters per location to prevent grinding and higher numbers than the average RPG (could break into tens of thousands of HP easily) but otherwise it's one of the blandest RPGs I ever played.
>>
I'm sure I've checked out some really shitty RPGs, but the only one I've bothered to finish was Final Fantasy II. Pretty much everything innovative about the game was sloppily implemented, and other aspects were made needlessly tedious. Is there really a point to the word memory system when 99% of situations have one answer?
>>
>>3150238
>>
>>3151285
>You're a quality memer
Not as much as you are gramps, guess my raw talent can't beat your years of experience uh?
Thanks for the compliment anyway.
>My opinion that Jap RPGs are formulaic is now misinformation according to you
That's not the part I was referring to, but good job on missing my point, extra points if it was intentional.
>Anyway you're cute
Thanks, no homo.
>Maybe that's why can't you talk about the actual subject
But old man, you're the one who keeps changing the subject and not proving your point.

You've still have to tell me which are the JRPGs that you consider good, I get that alzheimer is a nasty thing, but not taking your pills and then shitposting on /vr/ of all places is pretty bad.

What if grandma finds out? No retron V could save you this time.
>>
>>3150892
Sounds like shit opinions desu, kys senpai. baka
>>
>>3149587
NEW FAG DETECTED
>>
Secret of the Stars. Or, if a game with an RPG mode counts, Revengers of Vengeance, a game so shitty that its shittiness even affects its title.
RoV is the only video game I ever absolutely regretted paying money for as a kid. And I bought Bill & Ted for NES.
>>
>>3151294
Holy shit, I had completly forgotten about this crap. I now remember being excited at a new JRPG being translated and playing through this mediocre game and its geometric stat scaling.

Good pick, anon.

>>3151276
Vandal Hearts is okay, not great but not one of the worst.
>>
>>3151354
Secret of the Stars is so bad it's great.
>>
>>3149518
Buck Rogers on Genesis is the absolute worst RPG I ever played.
>>
Final Fantasy 6
Worst SNES era FF for sure, I rather replay FF2, the only thing redeemable is a fraction of it's OST which is mostly forgetable
>>
>>3150867
Thanks, this stuff is hilarious to me.
>>
>>3151171
>>3151126
>>3151118

Fuck off samefag
>>
>>3151135
Dark Spire was based on Wizardry, which is a Western game. Unfortunately, Atlus didn't implement the most interesting aspects of Wizardry in this game, which are the semi-permadeaths and fast battles. It's the tension of having your characters die at any moment and being able to go through battles quickly that made Wizardry interesting and unique. Atlus basically made a dungeon-crawling version of Dragon Quest.
>>
>>3149564
>i'm too retarded for junction system
>>
>>3152085

Its so funny when you fags are wrong about samefagging
>>
>>3151159
Love how surreal it is though. It's like a quarter to LSD Dream Simulator, and it has a chill soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qgTz16UQp0
>>
Quest 64
>>
>>3150879
You see, but back then, this was probably one of the few games that had much thought about it that you even owned. So of course, you're gonna dedicate months to it if you own it, because you probably own the other Wizardry's as well.
>>
>>3151294
This would be my pick as well. I had trouble remembering the name of it but saw it when I scrolled through the thread and recognize it immediately. Ancient Magic would be my second pick.

They're both just quite bland and do nothing that they set out to do spectacularly well. Forgettable sums them up just fine. I was quite disappointed with how Ancient Magic turned out, though.

Anyone mentioning any of the FF games are either posers, trolls or n00bs by definition that need to play more JRPGs.
>>
>>3151269
Is Mother any good?
>>
>>3158531

One of the best JRPGs on the NES, complete with a GBA port that features an easy mode if you're a little bitch. Not as grindy as people will tell you, as long as you're smart enough to use status effects.
>>
>>3149804
This is true. The NES dragon quest games are shit. Grinding with zero payoff.
>>
>>3152136
It's not Atlus game.
>>
>>3149518
Pretty much every ps1 and ps2 jrpg.
>>
>>3149518
Fallout
>>
>>3149646
Mate ff9 is my least favourite final fantasy other than 13.

It's a great game.

Sorry. It's well made and the gameplay is solid and the graphics and music are really good.
>>
JRPGs. The whole lot of them.

Misleadingly named given there's no role playing and they're barely games.
>>
>>3153859
>implying junction is remotely challenging to abuse correctly and not just unfun trash

Typical FFVIII fan terrible opinion.

>inb4 "hurr durr u must liek 9"
>>
>>3149646
Points for being topical, but you lost some for dredging up an ancient image macro instead of making your own.
Try harder.
>>
I couldn't get into Earthbound for some reason. Mother was alright, even with its "how am I suppose to know that" moments.
My pick for worst RPG that I finished would be 7th saga. They made some strange decisions with that game. Good thing I went with alien/esuna. It did some nice mode 7 stuff though.

>>3151049
the key item you get few hours in (wizard ring) can silence almost every enemy and has unlimited use. It makes the game much easier. I don't remember damaging magic being that useful, however support could make a big change. Boss fights are indeed rather slow.
I like that you could choose the characters for the final dungeon. The final dungeon needed another save point.
I agree with the rest. It has good ideas but bad implementations.
Thread posts: 165
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.