[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't someone start a Kickstarter to make new Sega

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

File: 6OiPIvZ.jpg (425KB, 1286x749px) Image search: [Google]
6OiPIvZ.jpg
425KB, 1286x749px
Why doesn't someone start a Kickstarter to make new Sega long CD cases out of high quality plastic? It's just plastic after all, and it couldn't possibly be more expensive than making knockoff controllers, which last I checked are everywhere.

The most common complaint I hear from Sega collectors, besides how rare copies of good Sega CD and Saturn games are in the West, is that the CD long boxes are hard to come by and are extremely brittle. People joke that they're probably made of sugar, but I've never licked one so I wouldn't know. Most Sega CD and Saturn games don't come with a case, and when they do it's usually broken. People will pay out the nose just to get those little foam safety pads that are supposed to come with the games, so you'd think there'd be a market for new CD cases that look like the originals but are stronger and easier to obtain.
>>
Hoarders would shit their britches.
>>
>>3147251
would be great for early PS1 games too
I need a replacement for my Raiden project case
>>
>>3147324
Which PS1 games used long jewel cases? I've only seen the plastic and cardboard ones, probably because they have a better survivability rate.
>>
>>3147251
I think I could care enough and order some cases but why should I to?
>>
>>3147398
A pretty good bit of early PS1 games had long cases. They are constructed different than the Sega CD's though.
>>
>>3147251
Because there's only a hand full of people who care.
>>
>>3147270

Nah, I'd like to have replacements so I didn't have to be terrified whenever a light breeze blows by my Sega CD shelf
>>
>>3147585
Hence why Kickstarter would probably be the best way to go about it rather than just investing however many thousands of dollars into manufacturing the cases without having any idea what size market they will be going out into.

It's not like there's anything particularly far out about manufacturing cases for retro games, because those kinds of products already exist. The Sega-style CD longboxes are a niche that remains unfilled, though. The original cases are in short supply and we lose more of them every day due to accidental mishandling, even by collectors that can't really be avoided. Not to mention that we could make a much higher quality product than what Sega originally put out. Sega used very cheap plastic to save money, whereas this would be a product designed specifically for people who want something that will stand up to the test of time.
>>
>>3147643
Couldn't you just put covers in generic DVD or CD cases?
>>
>>3147807
You can, but it isn't the authentic look. I've tried my hand a bit at converting some box art to fit into a regular case to somewhat pleasing results, but it'd be nice to have a more authentic looking library.
>>
>>3147251
You're making me want to look into business a bit to figure out how to do it and see if something like this would be profitable enough to be worth the effort via kickstarter. I'd like to help fellow collectors out, while making some money.
>>
I am a huge fan of the SCD/Saturn/OG Playstation long cases, but you're right, they're cheap and fragile. I'd buy higher quality ones.

However, its a pain in the ass to buy high quality REGULAR CD cases these days. Everything is cheap shit that probably costs .001 cents to produce.
>>
>>3147881

I would most likely order some, personally.
>>
>>3147881
I'd order a bunch. I've been using Universal Game Cases on my Nintendo games in lieu of real boxes because those are really rare and expensive, but I've been trying to use authentic cases on all of my Sega games because they're not too hard to find. Unfortunately for Sega CD and Saturn that's really difficult due to in-tact cases being rare. I'd love to have my entire Sega CD and Saturn collections to be cased and shelved and looking as close to the retail packaging as possible.
>>
I would also be interested in getting some these to replace the busted-ass Saturn and CD cases I have.

I can do 3D modeling of the cases as a starting point. I have a few very clean Saturn cases to base a model off of.
>>
>>3147251
Why don't you just take care of your fucking cases
>>
>>3148124

Oftentimes these days people obtaining these games are not the first owner, anon. Many times, they were owned by children over twenty years ago, which does not bode well for the condition of anything.
>>
>>3147643
3 guys with no cash are three guys with no cash regardless of where they meet.
>>
>>3147398
Air Combat
Alien Trilogy
Battle Arena Toshinden
Bust a Move 2: Arcade Edition
College Slam
D
Defcom 5
ESPN Extreme Games
FIFA Soccer '96
Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball
Hi-Octane
Jumping Flash!
Kileak
Mortal Kombat 3
NBA Jam T.E.
NovaStorm
PGA Tour '96
Power Serve 3D Tennis
The Raiden Project
Rayman
Ridge Racer
Rise 2: Resurrection
Shockwave Assualt
Street Fighte The Movie
Striker '96
Tekken
Theme Park
Total Eclipse Turbo
V-Tennis
Viewpoint
Warhawk
WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game
X-Com: UFO Defense
Zoop
>>
>>3147251
plastic injection startup is insanely expensive

though after the machine costs it's super cheap
>>
>>3150815
Isn't that why someone suggested a Kickstarter?
>>
>>3150830
>gimme 800k and i'll make you some bomb ass sega cd cases
>>
>>3150830
my point is it wouldn't go over well and there's little ot no chance of getting that much money without investing a ton of your own
>>
Blame SEGA for being fucking retarded with those cases in the first place.
>>
>>3148179

You're missing Pandemonium!

I would always rent a long case version of that.
>>
Cant this shit be 3d printed by now?

What you should do, is have the kickstarted company focus on all the weird game cases. NES sheaths, TG-16 card sheaths and card clips, sega cd/PS1 cases, could do empty carts as well for all systems.

focusing on a single system wouldnt be worth it, but if you could corner the market on all game packaging it could be worth it.
>>
>>3150830
>>3150837
>>3150841
It would have to be with someone who actually understands the manufacturing business and has experience with plastic injection, so sadly it's not going to be one of us, unless there's a manufacturing guru lurking in our midst.

I know that Watermelon had their own toolings made up for the cases and cartridges that their games used. It took them a long time to actually get their products made up, but the end results are quite impressive. They didn't just recycle old toolings they bought from a liquidated Sega factory either, because their carts and cases all have the Watermelon logo embossed on it.
>>
>>3151034
>Cant this shit be 3d printed by now?
Sadly you'll likely never be able to 3D-print a jewel case. Plastic injection is the only way to get that glass-like, crystal clear look that CD cases are known for. 3D printed cases would be chock full of artifacts and would look hideous. 3D printing would only really be useful for prototyping the design before designing a tooling for it, and even there you'd probably be better off with a C&C mill cutting the prototype pieces out of sheet plastic.
>>
>>3147251

Just about to start collecting some Sega CD games actually and I'd love this. Personally with my experience with the long cases I'm thinking of only buying discs and manuals and just printing some art for DVD cases.
>>
How fucking much of a retard do you have to be to not be able to handle long boxes?
>>
>>3151708

it's been said many times in the thread, its hard to find copies of games that come in cases that aren't busted shit.

Most people in /vr/ if they had them brand new wouldn't have a problem
>>
>>3151712
Here's a crazy and wild idea.

You ready?

Don't buy broke ass shit.

Wow!
>>
>>3151705
The games are a lot more affordable if you go disc-only. I'm probably going to print up jewel cases since that's what all the Japanese games come in.
>>
>>3151715

yes because Sega CD and Saturn games are so common you are just spoiled for choice right?
>>
>>3151720
Are you joking?
Most are dirt fucking common. Can still get brand new sealed games for under $10.
>>
File: MITSUBISHI_700MB.jpg (20KB, 320x277px) Image search: [Google]
MITSUBISHI_700MB.jpg
20KB, 320x277px
>>3147251
What for, really? Just how available is solid CDR media these days, and that's just for sega CD, saturn games are not dupeable the same way. Is there even any way to make Saturn game discs that will work on unmodded systems?

Just make them by hand, use the backing of a slim CD case, and attach any other material to extend it ... metal, soft plastic, etc.
>>
>>3151728
Show a good US sealed Saturn game for under $20. I'll wait.
>>
>>3151760
Who said anything about good?
>>
>>3151759
>solid CDR media these days
They never made floppy CDRs sport
>>
Pseudo Saturn. Requires PAR
>>
>>3147251
>Why doesn't someone start a Kickstarter to make new Sega long CD cases out of high quality plastic?

Can't you just use DVD cases?
>>
>>3152164
Not a suitable replacement. The original inserts dont' fit.
>>
>>3152286
A reasonably versatile compromise would be even more vertical cases able to store two discs side by side.
>>
>>3153019
You really don't need to make the cases any bigger to hold multiple discs, though. Those cases are really thick and we've had the ability to stash multiple discs in a thin case for a while. All you'd have to do is have two spindles of different elevations so that the discs can overlap with each other.
>>
>>3153169
They could be made long and thin though, and that way they'd be able to make use of everything but the edge labels.
>>
>>3153175
If they're thin then they won't fit the original artwork, which means you can't use them as replacements for your broken cases and that defeats the point of having them. You would need to design and print up new custom case art, and if you're going to do that you might as well just use DVD cases.
>>
>>3150857
Pandemonium wasn't sold in a longbox.
>>
>>3147251
>The most common complaint I hear from Sega collectors, besides how rare copies of good Sega CD and Saturn games are in the West, is that the CD long boxes are hard to come by and are extremely brittle.

Then the people you are listening to are not real Sega collectors, just hipsters who managed to find copies of $300 games games for $5 in a thrift store.

Actual Sega fans just buy the import versions which are way cheaper and come in standard jewel cases
>>
>>3153290
I said, if they're thin what won't fit them is the edge labels, on the front and back they would merely have a bit of unused space. As in, like the common slip cases, just even taller than sega cases.
>>
>>3151957
The actual data surface is just a floppy piece of foil, and it has been known to plop off, moreso bits at a time rather than peeling altogether.

>>3153019
Replacements could just be made by joining two CD cases together... no, not pancaked in a stack, but edge to edge, into an elongated vertical case. Since this would allow putting two discs in each case replacement, you'd simply have to attach the cover art in the same way - 2 games per case. So they'd have to be attached like a booklet, each case would show the front cover of two games, on on the front, one on the back, and the back, so the back cover would be viewed by opening the cover like a page.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.