[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's have a thread for the best 3D platforming series ever:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 14

File: crash.png (207KB, 402x678px) Image search: [Google]
crash.png
207KB, 402x678px
Let's have a thread for the best 3D platforming series ever: Crash Bandicoot.

Which one is your favorite in the series?
>>
>>3127896
Throwaway ps garbage on level with Sonic, Gex, Croc, Spyro and Bubsy

It's funny how gans of these games decry nintendo, yet these games all desperately chase Miyamoto's tale in an attempt to reproduce brilliance
>>
File: crash5.jpg (60KB, 500x708px) Image search: [Google]
crash5.jpg
60KB, 500x708px
>>3127896
5>2>1>3>4 for me.

Also, whatever became of that new game they were talking about a few months ago?
>>
File: Sanic bait.png (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Sanic bait.png
31KB, 500x500px
>>3127904
>>
>>3127896
>best 3D platforming series ever
>Crash Bandicoot
my sides
>>
>>3128337

> Muh nerd credits

Go fuck yourself, degenerate scum. Crash Bandicoot is the only 3D platformer from that time that didn't go overboard with big, open levels full of nothing.
>>
>>3129281
>didn't go overboard with big, open levels

Yeah, it's basically a narrow corridor simulator with the occasional pit and 2D sections where you can tell just how bad the hitbox detection is on the game.
>>
>>3129287

>Super Mario Bros SUCKS! You can only run to the right, there's no exploration!

You're a retard. Crash had the right idea for transitioned platformers from 2D to 3D. Everyone was just drooling over the flashy graphics at the time that they wanted these big 3D levels to explore. Mario 64 may have quenched that thirst, but it really wasn't fitting for the genre. It's no wonder that later 3D platformers came to realise this and make the levels more linear and straightforward like their classic 2D ancestors. Thank fuck for Mario Galaxy and Ratchet and Clank.
>>
>>3129287
>Game isn't perfect.
>0/10 absolute shit

It's a good thing that every N64 platformer is a perfect game.
>>
>>3127896
Somebody forgot how to spell Jak & Daxter.
>>
>>3129303
Ratchet & Clank is by FAR the best retro 3D plat forming series.
>>
File: robbit.png (138KB, 359x337px) Image search: [Google]
robbit.png
138KB, 359x337px
>>3129303
>>3129309

Why do people who defend Crash, always immediately go and compare it to Super Mario 64 and the N64? It's as if you guys think that people who don't like Crash must be N64/Mario 64 fanboys. Sorry, no. Crash isn't that good of a game and I'm not a Nintendo fan boogeyman.

There were other 3D platformers even on the PS.
Jumping Flash is much better than Crash.
>>
>>3129312
>>3129317

Look at the cute late 90s born thinking PS2 is retro
>>
File: jf-japanbox-lg.jpg (189KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
jf-japanbox-lg.jpg
189KB, 1000x1000px
>>3127904
nice try faggot
>>
>>3129353
Look at the bright one replying to samefag falseflags.
>>
File: 4L_K1X5UjRj.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
4L_K1X5UjRj.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>3129353
>wrong on both counts
>projecting insecurities this hard
>living in a fantasy land where time never passes and things don't become retro as they age

Cool, anon. Let's all draw an arbitrary line in the sand, by your logic. I am now declaring that only the NES is retro for literally no reason. It was retro when it was new, and nothing made after that can ever or will ever be considered retro by any stretch of the imagination, no matter how much you kick and scream. You're just wrong, anon. Accept it. None of your precious little 16 Bit baby nostalgia games will ever be retro because I said so and my word is law. You lose. Now I'm going to declare that you're twelve years old, and have a smaller dick than mine. Welcome to /VR/.

You see your logical fallacy, anon? It's common sense. It's literally objective and not up for debate.
>>
File: 1460198148611.jpg (18KB, 478x470px) Image search: [Google]
1460198148611.jpg
18KB, 478x470px
>>3129381
>Being a teenager
>>
>>3129381
I love 6th gen babbies, they even use the games age meme in their post-ironic banter.

Why are Gen Z people so cute?
>>
File: 4L_OMf2iMxA.gif (27KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
4L_OMf2iMxA.gif
27KB, 200x200px
>>3129386
>games don't age

Again, literally defying basic science.

No one but a shitty troll could possibly be this stupid.

>dismissing basic rational thought as a meme

Haha, okay kiddo.

Back to >>>/v/ with your babby's first shitposting.
>>
>>3129386
We need a better term for underage shitposters than Gen Z.

Not sure why Gen Y got called millennial when they grew up before 2000.
>>
File: 4L_h8ysVcwY.jpg (9KB, 295x171px) Image search: [Google]
4L_h8ysVcwY.jpg
9KB, 295x171px
>>3129386
Aww, what's wrong? Someone realized they don't have an actual argument and are just smearing shit on the walls, ruining /VR/?

I we being raided or some shit? Is this like an edgy new tumblr meme?
>>
>>3129394

I'm just asking why you gen Z people are so cute, don't get so tsuntsun.
>>
>>3129404
>That person's operating with rational thought and logic! They must be an underage shitposter. There's no way I'm wrong, I'm infallible! I'm even more right that objective reality!

What's wrong, anon? Reality hurt too much? By your dumbass backward logic, fifth gen would never be retro. Or fourth. Or any other random bullshit. Please stop shitting up /VR/. Trying to ruin this community with your toxic bullshit isn't helping anyone. Even if it helps you get off.
>>
>>3129348

> Incomprehensive, unfocused level design
> First person camera in a platformer
> Better than Crash

Sorry, no. Impressive graphics for the time, though.
>>
>>3129407
Yup. We're being raided. Back to tumblr or reddit or whatever the fuck please. Just let us have our retro community. You don't have to be such a dick to random strangers on the Internet. There are better ways to spend your time my dude.
>>
>>3129404
Dunno about generations, but this guy can be "Daddy's little princess"
>>
>>3129418
>Incomprehensive

What do you mean? The levels were easy to figure out.

>unfocused level design

Why unfocused? all the set pieces are there for a reason, playing the game has a flow and a dynamic... nothing unfocused, I find it more appealing than the simplistic Crash design. All pits are easily avoided by just jumping (no really need to use momentum or calculate jumps, just press jump + direction you want to land in) and enemies are always dealt with by just spinning. Jumping Flash felt like a truer 3D platformer.

>First person camera in a platformer

And surprisingly very well implemented. The triple jump and being able to see below your feet as you jump made the gameplay so satisfying. Yes, it's a 3D first person platformer and it's good.

>Better than Crash

Yes, I think it is. Crash isn't bad but it's not that good either, to me it's on the level of Bubsy (2D ones, not 3D)
>>
>>3129303
Crash had among the worst movement mechanics in any popular 3d platformer franchise. Games like Spryo and Super Mario 64 had so much depth in movement mechanics and actually felt good to play. Crash was floaty ass garbage with no momentum physics.

I'm glad Naughty Dog eventually created Jak & Daxter, which was a significantly better series.
>>
>>3129782
>I'm glad Naughty Dog eventually created Jak & Daxter, which was a significantly better series.
Only the first one. The two sequels were shitty grimdark third person shooters with driving.
>>
>>3129793
Fair enough. The first one was the only one I ever played, so I concede to not knowing much about the sequels.
>>
>>3129782
I never understood this meme

I never had a problem with the mechanics or control to Crash. Always seemed straight forward and fun to me.
>>
what is the best ps2 game?
>>
File: elevator lifts.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
elevator lifts.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>3129808
It's not that they don't work, it's that they have no depth or skill ceiling. The movement options in Spyro and SM64 gave you so much more freedom to have fun and explore. This gave those games replay value, because as you improve, you start to play the game much differently. There's an obvious and huge skill gap between good and bad players. With Crash, the skill gap is very small and subtle. Gameplay from a good player won't look much different than gameplay from a bad player, because the movement is so basic and easy to master. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not what I look for in 3d platforming.
>>
>>3129808
It's incredibly simplistic - which is fine for the game Crash is - but on the whole, did little to advance the development of 3D games. ND was, at the time, more impressed by large amounts of polygons on the screen, which is why Crash himself has many more polygons than any other object in the game
>>
>>3129849

I'd argue Mind Over Mutant, at least it's the most polished one.

Wrath of Cortex was extremely unpolished.
Crash Twinsanity mocked and ridiculed the franchise, while claiming to be authentic Crash.
Crash of the Titans followed Crash Twinsanity's footsteps, but also threw the gameplay out the window.
>>
>>3129348
>Jumping Flash is much better than Crash
lol
>>
>>3130181

Yes it is, what's so funny?
>>
>>3130203
>what's so funny?
you
>>
File: 1458888053843.png (189KB, 550x365px) Image search: [Google]
1458888053843.png
189KB, 550x365px
Crash is a tight platformer that still holds up on gameplay today. Artscore and art direction is subpar, and the atmosphere is very fitting for the environments.
1>CTR>2>3

OP clearly just wanted a Crash thread, keep shitposting somewhere else and discuss favourite levels or something.
>>
>>3129286
>le Poochy meme
Everyone knows Bubsy Bobcat is the Poochy of mascot platformers.
>>
Why are people so angry at Crash?
Do they irrationally hate anything that isn't "openwurld" and a N64 exclusive?
>>
>>3131264

You see, the problem is that you think anyone who criticizes Crash is a N64 fanboy.

Read the thread, people saying Crash is not as good as nostalgia kids think are saying other PS platformers are better, like Jumping Flash.
>>
>>3131264
I think environments that give you a lot of freedom in combination with deep & flowing movement mechanics are what make 3d platformers interesting. Crash has neither of those things. Spyro (a PS1 game) has both of those things.
>>
File: TR1 screen006.jpg (31KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
TR1 screen006.jpg
31KB, 640x480px
>>3127896
Technically, Crash is considered a 2.5D platformer. You can move left and right a little, but for the most part you're stuck on a very narrow path.

Tomb Raider, Mario 64 and Jumping Flash are examples of actual 3D platformers.
>>
>>3131330
>other PS platformers are better, like Jumping Flash
Jumping Flash is just as shitty though.
>>
>>3131889
Jumping Flash and Crash Bandicoot are almost completely different games.
>>
>>3131893
Ok, but then how can you say one is better than the other?
>>
>>3127904
Gex is decent if you play the PS1 version, though. And Croc is average, wouldn't call it garbage.
>>
>>3131923
>>3131923
That was the point I was making actually. It's pointless to compare them. >>3131392 is right. Crash isn't really a 3D platformer. It's a 2D platformer with 3D graphics and a tiny bit of lateral movement. It's a different genre from games like JF or Mario.
>>
>>3131937
>PS1 version
UK Gex is best Gex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIaZi5n63FU
>>
>>3132047
Bubsy 3D was a 3D platformer, but that doesn't mean it wasn't shit. I don't think Jumping Flash holds up as a quality platformer these days nor do most other 3D platformers from it's time.
>>
File: hqdefault (3).jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (3).jpg
14KB, 480x360px
Not the best, but certainly up there
>>
>>3132342
>nor do most other 3D platformers from it's time.
I completely disagree with this. the 5th gen has the best 3d platformers ever made. it's been downhill ever since for that genre.
>>
>>3132342
>>3132458
Saying whether something is a 3D platformer or not wasn't meant as a value judgment. Just pointing out that they're very different kinds of games so you're comparing apples and oranges.

I don't think Jumping Flash is a perfect game by far, but I like it a lot more than Crash. But that's because I don't like the kind of game Crash is trying to be in the first place. You could easily feel the opposite and that would be just as valid.
>>
>>3127896
Is the first one really hard or I suck?
I died without being able to save and I had to redo some levels.
This game is really kicking my ass.
>>
This is the best PS1 platformer by far, and also one of the best 3D platformers in general.
>>
>>3127896
Its between Crash 2 and Spyro 1.

Crash two mastered the movement (albeit floaty), had cool stage designs and didn't go overboard with gimmicks like 3 and beyond.

Spyro had a fucking awesome world with levels that were fun as hell to explore and its soundtrack is fantastic.
>>
>>3133723
I am going with Spyro. Crash games collision detection makes me mad.

Spyro has the best of both worlds. It's linear, but you have to search for some items.
And technically is marvelous.
>>
>>3133738
Fair point, although the collision detection in 2 only bothered me for when you had to jump on the leaves in the water stages. Crash 1 is a nightmare in collision detection though.

Spyro is a fantastic game and ages well due to its great art direction and solid mechanics.
>>
>>3133642
>PAL
>>
>>3133762
>autism
>>
>>3134085
>any attack is autism
>>
>>3134201
>using the word 'atttack' to describe bantz
wew lad
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.