[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The best Sega console? Master System-Genesis/Mega Drive - Saturn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

File: 300px-MDAdd-ons.jpg (9KB, 300x210px) Image search: [Google]
300px-MDAdd-ons.jpg
9KB, 300x210px
The best Sega console? Master System-Genesis/Mega Drive - Saturn - and Dreamcast

My favorite is the Genesis because muh childhood but I'd like to see what you guys like the best about Sega.
>>
>>3121414
genesis because of library and nostalgia

I can see why people like the dreamcast but it was never my cup of tea

master system has some cool games

saturn is just a piece of garbage unless you ONLY want to play shmups(no sonic flagship title what the FUCK sega)
>>
Easily Saturn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Q8reBNgs0
>>
What is the module on the left?
>>
>>3121438
Karaoke add-on
>>
>>3121432
Saturn is the arcade machine ever and not just for shmups but racers and fighters to and the Dreamcast was more of the same but even better because of naomi architecture. You just sound like a nostalgia fag and the kinda shit spastic kid that only played rpgs and easy platformers.
>>
>>3121414

Saturn, BY FAR.

It just had a string of hit titles one after the other when AM2, AM3 and Sonic Team were still making games worth a shit. It has Panzer Dragoon, VF2, Dragon Force, Guardian Heroes, Virtual On, Nights, Sega Rally, 8-player Bomberman, the best console version of Duke Nukem, Death Tank... it has a spaceship loading screen... it has to this day the best gamepad for SF2 style fighting games, and not by coincidence, excellent versions of SF2 Alpha, Night Stalkers, etc.
>>
>>3121513
Obvious shmup sperg
>>
>>3121414
Honestly each one of them takes my interest in a different way. I really like all of the sega consoles, most specifically the Master system and saturn. So many unplayed and untalked about titles.
>>
>>3121443
Fun fact, if you also hook up Sega channel then you have 5 power bricks, enough to fill every spot on an official Sega power strip.

Then add in the power base converter and the modem and you have 7 supplies to juggle, though only six can be used at most at once.
>>
>>3122024
Neither the Power Base Converter nor the Mega Modem use separate power supplies.
>>
Genesis without a doubt, with the Saturn on a solid 2nd place.
>>
my favorite is the saturn. maybe because it was my first 3d console, but it had some charm that the ps1 lacked.
and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RU0owYC-TU
may still be my favorite 3d intro
>>
File: 346face1B.jpg (12KB, 319x400px) Image search: [Google]
346face1B.jpg
12KB, 319x400px
Saturn.
>>
File: 1459478959705.gif (2MB, 325x235px) Image search: [Google]
1459478959705.gif
2MB, 325x235px
I can't decide. I like them all. Except for Master System, I have no nostalgia for it because I never owned one.
>>
Genesis and it isn't even close.

Dreamcast is okay for its time, but Saturn is for hipster faggots who like "obscure" games.
>>
>>3122294
I see Master System games for sale in retro shops all the time here in Burgerland, which is funny because I don't think I've ever seen one out in the wild.

It's possible to play them with some kind of Genesis adapter, right? Or is an actual Master System better/cheaper. Forgive me, I know nothing about this.
>>
>>3122319
Yeah, you can find the official Sega Genesis Power Base Converter that does that. Or I'm sure there's some third party adapters that will do the same thing.
>>
>>3122319
There's a cheap adapter called the chink ED that can play them. And it comes with all the games so you don't need to buy them.
But you can buy the carts and put them on a shelf to impress all the bitches.
>>
>>3122319
The Power Base Converter is about 80 bucks, and it plays Master System game's identically. The Genesis Model 1 actually has a Master System in it, like the original PS3 has a PS2 in it.
>>
>>3123638
>The Genesis Model 1 actually has a Master System in it,

So does the Genesis Model 2. The Master System components actually work as co-processor helper units inside Genesis games so if you pulled them out it would break everything.
>>
>>3121414
Were those infrared controllers any good? I always avoided wireless when possible but the past decade has spoiled my ass.
>>
>>3121432
>saturn is just a piece of garbage

The Saturn is fucking incredible if you factor in the import library. One of my favorite consoles.
>>
File: Whoooa.gif (504KB, 334x252px) Image search: [Google]
Whoooa.gif
504KB, 334x252px
IT'S GETTING GANGRAPED!!!!
>>
>>3124326
Even factoring the import library, I still much prefer the Genesis and Dreamcast over the Saturn.

Trust me, I did the whole Saturn thing like 8 years ago. Had an AR cart for imports and everything. There's just not enough that I consider truly great to make me go back to the Saturn.
>>
>>3124495
There must be something wrong with you. I use my Saturns on a regular basis. Are you monolingual?
>>
>>3121747
Meh, these are all spurious ideas perpetuated by re-seller scum and that >>3122278
butthurt chink that wants to punch your pregnant mother just because you missed the toilet one time.
>>
genesis>saturn>dreamcast>master system

if you disagree you're a fag
>>
Genesis by a mile. Saturn and DC are on about the same level. They're both good, but they just can't compete with the sheer number of games on the Genesis. Never played a Master System, but I did have a Game Gear. It was ok.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqoaAk8ucPk

Master System>Megadrive+addons>Saturn>Megadrive no addons>Dreamcast
>>
>>3125607
Not him, but all the import games people consider great on the Saturn are shmups. They're not for everybody.
>>
sg-1000
>>
>>3124495
>>3121432
>There's just not enough that I consider truly great to make me go back to the Saturn.
Christmas NiGHTS and NiGHTS? That alone is better than anything on Genesis by a huge margin.
>>
>>3122319
you can get a power base converter that has FM audio which the master system is capable of in some games like outrun and Rampage and its pretty impressive.
>>
Master System > Saturn > Mega Drive > Dreamcast

I love the Dreamcast, but the others are just better. The Master System was getting games even after the Saturn, sure many were Mega Drive ports but they were also good.
>>3123638
$80 for a Master System converter in America? That's ridiculous. I'd pay that, in AUD, for a model 1 Master System.
>>
>>3123638
>80 fucking dollarydoos for something that does almost literally nothing
I've had two of these laying around for years without knowing that these hunks of plastic are worth more than the Mega Drive and the Master System themselves. Well, on eBay
Thank you, reseller fagets.
>>
>>3121414
Is there a picture of this genesis with all the cords plugged in?
>>
>>3126152
>the import games people who only speak burgarian can play are all shumps
FTFY
>>
>>3122109
well that is disappointing, still I don't think any other systems use more than 5 power bricks, eh?
>>
>>3121414
>and Dreamcast
But Dreamcast isn't retro
>>
>>3126152
>all the import games people consider great on the Saturn are shmups
Care to name them?
>>
>>3121414
games for sega there with rating KA (kids to adults) on the ESRB?

please I want to play with the following requirements.

games without magic, without references to magic.

games without references to devils
and politically correct games
>>
>>3127737
Shit, I dunno, most shmups seem like pretty much the same game to me. I feel for the Saturn meme half a year ago, I love Daytona USA but then realised that you go on any Saturn thread and they go "You have to check out the import games!", you check out the import games thread and it's all shmups. I think there are fighting games too, but fighting games just seem unplayable to me.
>>
>>3128131
For the record, I do have more than just Daytona USA, but it does seem like if you discount shmups there aren't many games people consider "must-plays" besides NiGHTS (another game which is very good).
>>
>>3128131
Of course thats all its going to be, since the fags here cant read japanese so they can only play things like fighters and shumps.
>>
>>3128156
True, but can you blame them? It's perfectly understandable for somebody to like the Mega Drive and not like the Saturn very much because there aren't many great games that they can enjoy. Learning Japanese is cool and all (I'm working on it), but you can't expect people to learn a difficult language just so they can play obscure retro vidya.
>>
I have never played a Saturn or Dreamcast so I can't speak for them. The Sega Genesis is one of the best consoles ever along with its contemporary the SNES (I don't buy into console war bullshit) and so it is my pick based on its library and the fact that I played the shit out of my old Model 2. I'm interested in the Master System though.
>>
>>3128204
You'll have to start importing from Europe if you want to play the best Master System games, yank. You can at least get the Wonder Boy games, Rescue Mission, Phantasy Star, and Rastan.
>>
>>3128162
At least there's translated games, like the Shining Force scenerio 2 and 3 saturn games that were not released here.

http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com/
>>
>>3128387
And Dragon Force 2
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=19541.0
>>
Saturn, because I'm a weeb.
>>
>>3128131
Fighting games require learning a practice. Just like a second language. It's not surprising you fail at one when you fail at the other.
>>
>>3128436
What are you talking about? I practice plenty on games I like, like Revenge of Shinobi and stuff. I just don't find competitive games fun at all.
>>
I'm bilingual, I just never bothered to learn a language solely to jack off to oriental dating sims. lol@shmupfags tho, must hurt when not even other gamers care about the pointless task you've dedicated your life to mastering.
>>
Laseractive is best system.
>>
File: 1271164175171203.jpg (120KB, 1025x872px) Image search: [Google]
1271164175171203.jpg
120KB, 1025x872px
>>3129296
I agree. If only I was rich so a could actually own one. Although I've heard the Laseractive is not the best laserdisc player.
>>
File: Saturn games.jpg (273KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Saturn games.jpg
273KB, 1280x960px
The Saturn's a special system to me. My Japanese was just reaching usable levels in 1995, and I used the Saturn to try out entire genres that had never come out in English, like character-raising simulations, romance simulations, and adventure-novel games. Most of my favorite Saturn games are ports from PC (PC98) and other consoles like PC Engine and Mega Drive, though the Saturn versions have higher-color graphics and voiced dialog (most Japanese PC games weren't voiced at the time) so weren't just straight ports.

Kakyuusei
Doukyuusei -if-
Doukyuusei 2
YU-NO
Nonomurabyouin no Hitobito
Desire
Can Can Bunny Premier
Can Can Bunny Premier 2
Can Can Bunny Extra
Blue Breaker
Legend of Heroes 3 White Witch (Shiroki Majo)
Princess Maker 2
Graduation II
Tokimeki Memorial
Kuro no Dansho
Langrisser 1 & 2 (Der Langrisser)
Angelique Special
Houkago Ren'ai Club (Casual Romance Club)
Atelier Marie
PhotoGenic
Lunar
Lunar 2
etc.

None of those originated on Saturn, but Saturn was where I first played them. (In addition to Saturn originals like Sakura Taisen, Nadesico the blank of 3 years, Grandia, Rayearth, Guardian Heroes, etc.)
To this day Saturn remains the system I have the most games for besides Windows, and the games I enjoyed on Saturn are basically why I moved on to Japanese Windows games after that and never really focused on console games again.
It also meant I spent the PS/SS era playing almost entirely 2D games. I still prefer 2D games to this day, though I imagine that's not rare on /vr/.
>>
File: System-Sega_Systems05.jpg (279KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
System-Sega_Systems05.jpg
279KB, 1024x683px
>>3121414
Master System was underrated. It didn't have anywhere near the NES's library but it had better graphics and quite a few nice gems on it. In fact, it was so popular in Brazil that Sega still officially supports it there, and there are still games coming out for it. It's insane.

The Genesis / MD is definitely the Sega system with the most impressive legacy, and the Sega CD had a pretty decent library of its own with some noteworthy gems. It's also one of the best systems to collect retro games for right now because 1) the system and games are really cheap right now, 2) they usually come with the clamshells, cover art and manuals, and 3) it has some of the best RGB output of any console.

Saturn was a very underrated console, like the Master System. It's hard to collect for unless you get a lot of games from Japan, because they didn't make many copies of games in the US. If 2D arcade games and fighters are your candy though, the system is one of the best. Not the easiest system to collect for but it does have a lot of good games.

Dreamcast was one of my favorite systems, though. For such a short lived console it has a lot of classic games. It was basically a shooting start-- it didn't last long but it burned brighter than any of the others relative to how long it was out. It's a pretty good system to collect for because most good games aren't that expensive, and it looks great on an HDTV running through VGA.

I'd say the Dreamcast was their best console, which is sad because it was also their last and it was short lived. On the bright side, the Dreamcast is in other ways one of the longest lived Sega console because it still gets games from indie developers (mostly shmups unfortunately, although it did get Pier Solar HD).

On a side note, the Game Gear is also pretty underrated. It was ahead of it's time which is why the battery life sucked so bad, and the screen hasn't aged well, but with some repairs and mods the system and games can really shine.
>>
>>3131026
This is a blue board!
>>
>>3128726
Apparently I'm talking about the difference between learning skills and autism.
>>
>>3131314
>fighting games
>not autism

Top fucking kek, fighting games are the most autistic games you can get
>>
>>3131372
>interacting with other people is autistic
>anything i suck as it autistic
You sound like an autist
>>
>>3131401
I really don't get what you're saying. How is practicing at Revenge of Shinobi any more autistic than practicing at fighting games? Both are completely useless skills.
>>
>>3121414
I grew up with the Mega Drive (Eurofag here) and so it is by default my absolute favorite. As a teenager I got to play on the Dreamcast for about a year before it crapped out. After that we got a PS2.

Anyway besides the two I mentioned, I never, ever had the opportunity to play any other Sega console. Call me biased but I don't think the Master System or the Saturn offer any interesting games for me to consider ever trying them.
>>
>Master System
I have no knowledge of this console except that it was popular in Europe and Brazil. I've never seen the console or games or even met a person that has owned one.
>Genesis
When people think of Sega consoles, this is the one that comes in their mind first. Lots of classics. The CD add-on had some good games, but the 32X was a complete waste of money for both SEGA, and the consumers.
>Saturn
Same with the Master System in that I've never seen one. Cult classics from what I'm told, Sony's $299 conference at E3 1995 was very embarrassing for SEGA. Poor sales anywhere but Japan caused a premature death, giving many people the implication that Saturn was terrible.
>Dreamcast
Great 3D arcade games and some of the best fighting games around. Sony beat SEGA again with the PS2, causing another premature death. The Dreamcast itself was very revolutionary, with online, memory cards that you can play, and I think it even did DLC, which has become a monster today.
>>
>>3131781
Yeah I can confirm it did dlc. I remember getting Halloween and PSO skins for my characters in Sonic Adventure 2 through the web portal on the Dreamcast. You could also download Chao things if I am not mistaken.
>>
File: toy157.jpg (18KB, 688x470px) Image search: [Google]
toy157.jpg
18KB, 688x470px
>>3121414
ITS THINKING!
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.