[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I bagged a CD-i but it doesn't include a controller.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: DSC_0001.jpg (642KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0001.jpg
642KB, 2048x1536px
So I bagged a CD-i but it doesn't include a controller. What is the cheapest controller I could use for it? (I have a Mega Drive pad but not that adapter I've seen people write about)
>>
File: Philips-CD-i-Paddle-Controller.jpg (2MB, 2780x2540px) Image search: [Google]
Philips-CD-i-Paddle-Controller.jpg
2MB, 2780x2540px
I'm literally right there with you OP except I got mine many years ago. You can get this abomination for under $20 but fuck that. There are controllers that closely resemble a Genesis 3 button pad or almost exactly the same as a classic Gravis gamepad but they'll run like $50+. Bottom line is I still haven't bought any controller, even though I've picked up games for it.
>>
>>3117414
It's a shame the PC Engine pad doesn't work with it.
>>
>>3117121
>>3117414
People buying garbage like this are what drive the price up to 50+ dollars for those controllers. No possible way the CD-i or it's shit controllers are worth anything. It doesn't even have any games.
>>
File: cfjal;sdry.jpg (14KB, 300x263px) Image search: [Google]
cfjal;sdry.jpg
14KB, 300x263px
This is the best controller for the CD-i.

There is also a worse controller that looks like a gravis gamepad.

All other CD-i controllers are fecal.
>>
>>3117497
Question
what games would you honestly need a good controller for?
>>
Which model? Does it work? I know some CDi models have a built-in battery that is probably dead by now. While normally battery replacements are eaay, this one is within a chip and requires you to sand/dremel/otherwise break into the casing of the chip in order to replace it.

I know I have a dead battery CD-i from many years ago. I think the disc drive is also dead. Really like to have a working one to play them Nintendo classics, but if prices are really going up for these, I'll probably just pass. Maybe the game console style models are more reliable?
>>
>>3117482
>>3117515
It's the kitsch value of the Nintendo licensed games that mainly drives the value of the CDi. Pic related being the only one that is even worth playing and remotely demonstrates what the CDi was capable of.
>>
>>3117497
Faces of Evil
Wand of Gamelon
Burn:Cycle
The Apprentice
Laser Lords

That's about it.
>>
>>3117687
That game's a piece of shit. I wouldn't buy a cd-i or controller to play that. I would just rather throw the money out.
>>
>>3117745
Fair enough, but it's still the best Nintendo licensed game on the system. You can't seriously think Link:FoE and Zelda:WoG are better. They're just more laughable.
>>
>>3117779
The Apprentice is really the only actual game. and it's not worth the price of the system.
>>
File: 2.png (1MB, 912x684px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
1MB, 912x684px
>>3117414
could always get one of those pieces of shit and cut up the pcb, then solder the trace lines to those of a real controller and try to nearly stuff the guts inside the shell. been done before.

http://emuconsoleexploitnews. TOPSGOLB .com/2010/03/very-simple-cd-i-joystick-modding.html

can't do a worse looking job than that asshole.
>>
>>3117790
That's also pretty fair to say. I would agree it's the BEST game for the system anyway.

At least Jaguar and 3DO had real potential despite IIRC the CDi was more heavily marketed - or maybe it was just first to market.
>>
>>3117807
Why do all this for a fucking cd-i?
>>
>>3117815
Jaguar has at least a dozen good games, some good 3D graphics in some games like Iron Soldier, although they don't truly show what the Jaguar was capable of, and it had a unique controller that was actually pretty comfortable to hold even with the keypad. But the keypad provided extra controls and buttons for specific games to go beyond just 3 buttons.

3DO... Had a few games.

CD-i literally had 1. The only actual "game" was a vertical platformer.
>>
>>3117807
Yeah that's probably what I would do if I was actually more motivated to play the damn thing but right now other /vr/ projects like refurbing my Amiga and fitting a floppy emulator to it are a much higher priority.
>>
>>3117821
See I actually strongly prefer the 3DO to Jaguar but there's at least a decent debate that could be had while we can both agree that CDi was little more than a glorified Karaoke machine that would be no more memorable than Nuon if it hadn't somehow managed to get Nintendo licenses - which could in turn take this thread in the direction of how that was some butthurt knee jerk reaction to their breakup with Sony, like when your ex fucks some guy just because he's your rival.
>>
>>3117821
>Jaguar has at least a dozen good games
No it didn't. And 3DO had far more good and so-so titles.
>>
>>3117482
Well, I got it for €15, besides where I'm from they are not so expensive.
>>
>>3117815
>despite IIRC the CDi was more heavily marketed
As far as I understand, CD-i first of all isn't a game machine but a machine with capabilities similar to DVD menus, which appeared 10 years later.
>>
>>3117846
>No it didn't. And 3DO had far more good and so-so titles.

Jaguar:
Doom, arguably the best port aside from music
Tempest 2000
Wolfenstein 3D, same as doom
Rayman, original system Rayman was made for
Alien vs Predator, one of the best retro FPS
Iron Solider 1,
Iron Soldier 2
Atari Karts
Super Burnout
Theme Park
Missile Command 3D
Probably a couple more.

3DO...
Wing Commander...
Gex...
Killing Time...
Theme Park...

I'm really struggling to name more I remember that were actually like GOOD, almost all the games were mediocre.
>>
>>3118040
Samurai Showdown
Street Fighter II Turbo
Alone in The Dark
Alone in The Dark 2
D
Guardian War
Luciene's Quest
The Need For Speed
Policenauts
Star Fighter
>>
>>3117928
Yeah it was not designed or market exclusively as a gaming console, games in general were really an afterthought.
>>
>>3117807
Oh god, that's so cringeworthy.
>>
>>3117807
>>3118197
What is wrong with it?

>cringeworthy
Oh we're dealing with /v/ children.
>>
>>3117816
to prove that a CD-i remote is worth more dead than alive.
>>
>>3118040
>>3118062

No mention of Immercenary? 3DO exclusive and really quite interesting.
>>
>>3118040
>>3118062
>neglecting to mention Star Control II, SPACE HULK, Return Fire, Slayer, Flying Nightmares, The Horde, Ice Breaker, Panzer General, Mad Dog McGee, Myst, Primal Rage, Samurai Showdown, Road Rash, Lemmings

You're right kiddo; 3DO got no games. What? Gonna namedrop Highlander & Kasumi Ninja next?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.