[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would one start getting into the CRPG genre? Is there a guide?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: Planescape-torment-box.jpg (41KB, 404x502px) Image search: [Google]
Planescape-torment-box.jpg
41KB, 404x502px
How would one start getting into the CRPG genre?
Is there a guide? Or a game that, if I play, will make the other games in the genre come more naturally to me?
>>
>>3104207
I'm gonna get hostilized for that, but watch let's plays. Not the whole thing, just the beginning to get an idea. It's what I do.
>>
>>3104223
Why? To see which will interest me? To know how to start off?
I'm looking for an accessible game that still has skills that will carry over to other games
>>
>>3104207
Guide:
Just pick any game and play it.
>>
Play Fallout 1. It's very accessible and reasonably short so it's a great introduction.
>>
>>3104207
What kind of CRPG would you like?
There's no standard.
>>
>>3104207
Infinity Engine games and Fallout are good starters.
>>
>>3104207
I like reading crpg addict's blog

Google that
>>
Work your way through the Ultima series from 1 onward. That should give you a decent overview over the genre.
>>
>>3104419
>late 90s garbage

Sup contrarian
>>
>>3104340

An Infinity Engine game or Fallout are ideal for getting into the genre, I think. Knights of the Old Republic and Dragon Age: Origins, only the first one, are also pretty good starters even if not /vr/. I'd use any of those to get into the genre before going back and playing things like Ultima or some DOS classics like Betrayal at Krondor, because your knowledge of the genre will make it easier to deal with dated interfaces.
>>
>>3104207
I think as a kid what I did was embrace it's quirkiness and just went into it without questioning or comparing any of the mechanics with other games on my nintendo and whatnot.

Just, go with the flow, you get into the groove sooner or later depending on how much you care for the general writing in one.
>>
File: header.jpg (44KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
44KB, 460x215px
http://store.steampowered.com/app/385970/
Huh, this just happened.
>>
I came in to suggest infinity engine but it already got suggested.

Also unpopular opinion here but try spiderweb software games.
>>
>>3104261
How short?
>>
>>3105297
So did a host of new bugs to BGEE and BG2EE associated with the new engine, including some really heinous, game breaking shit. I have the original disc version BG installed, but it might be time to find my discs for BG 2 as well.
>>
>>3104207
>get some friends
>get some shitty D and D books
>rent parents' basement for a few hours
>thrill to the excitement of rolling dice
>feel unfulfilled and pack up your shit
Cost you maybe $30 (renting friends may vary) and you get the same, dull tedium and homogenized aesthetics of the crpg genre.
>>
>>3104450
Haha, anon
>>
File: bait.jpg (16KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
16KB, 300x400px
>>3105885
>he/she
>>
>>3104207
It depends where your preferences are.

Most DnD based or inspired crpgs are extremely combat heavy and feature a lot of dungeon crawling.

Combat / Dungeon Crawling:
Jagged Alliance 2, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Daggerfall, Diablo, Lands of Lore, Summoner, Vampire Redemption

If you prefer story over action:
Planescape Torment, Arcanum

If you prefer a healthy mix:
Gothic, Fallout, Ultima, Darklands, Arx Fatalis

I'd say Baldur's Gate is a good introduction, even if I personally don't like it all that much. But it's a classic for a reason.

I'm not sure about Fallout as a beginner's game. You can easily screw up your character and get your ass kicked if you don't know what you're doing, even on the lowest difficulty.
>>
>>3105874

Dis nigga gets it.
>>
>>3104207
Balders Gait is supposed to be a good game.
Planetescape Torrent is an easy entry, as the gameplay is rather forgettable, and cheesable, yet it has most elements that other crpgs use.
(I wonder why no one ported it for tablets yet).

Personally for me, fallout isn't very accessible, if you haven't already played it 70 years ago
>>
hey if im plating planescape torment do i use the faggot modds and stuff or not? I mean i don't even know what theyre changing in the first place
vanilla run? Thanks mom.
>>
Might & Magic: World of Xeen is a very good introduction to first person dungeon crawlers because it's fairly simple and the combat is very quick to resolve and easy. You can also try M&M6 or 7, which are more modern, but also feature blocky 3D graphics.
>>
>>3104207
Pick one up and play it.

First one I ever played was Shattered Lands. Can't go wrong there. If you want to start with something more "modern (its still over 10 years old), play VtM: Bloodlines.
>>
>>3106371

I agree about fallout, it's the combat that bugs me the most. I'd love to see a new fallout game done in the old style but with combat like shadowrun returns which has a lot more strategy to it.
>>
>>3105297
What's the verdict on this one? Do all of the party members feel in character or is it like cheap fanfiction?
>>
>>3106851
>>3106851
which mods
>>
>>3106670
>>3106706
>>3106851
>>3106861
>>3106873
>>3106959
are these really all the same person
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.