[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just a quick question. Which of these describes the reason you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: gryphon.jpg (510KB, 1475x1281px) Image search: [Google]
gryphon.jpg
510KB, 1475x1281px
Just a quick question. Which of these describes the reason you play/collect retro games most

A)You want to relive memories of your childhood by replaying games you used to love and have some sort of sentimental attachment to.

B)You want to try games from your prime years of gaming that you never got to play or just chose ot to play, to see what all the hype was about

C)You want to play games before your time to give yourself a history lesson on gaming and understand where people from a certain era were coming from

D)You are convinced that games made past a certain year simply aren't worth playing, so you might as well just play games made in the "golden years"

E)You hate video games, but you are just collecting this crap so you can jew some faggot out of his money once gamers of a certain age group hit their midlife crisis and start throwing loads of money at stuff to make them feel young again (aka Option A. We have now come full circle.)

For me it's pretty much all B & C. I wasn't allowed to play video games until I was 10, I got a PS2 and mostly played PS1 games on it since I never liked paying 50 bucks for games (made an exception for Grand Theft Auto) and later scored an N64 for 20 bucks so I could finally play Golden eye, which everyone used to love but I never got to play. Now I mostly just emulate shit and try out obsure abandonware DOS games for the hell of it.
>>
>>3100534
All B, Baby - With some occasional A if I have time (rarely)
>>
A mix of A and B. Most of my collection was actually build up back in the day when they were new, or when they became "old" (but not "retro/vintage/RARE!L@@K!") and were sold for pretty cheap in the early 00s.

I rarely buy stuff anymore except for some JP imports here and there.
>>
B.
Fuck people who say all A and they should never post again.
>>
>>3100591

Wait... what's wrong with it? You're not allowed to play games from your childhood? Not my fault some of my favorite games came out back then. (not saying I only play games from my childhood though)
>>
>>3100534
B and F) Old technology has lots of charm and its nice to see what developers could do with the tech limitations of the time.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (497KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
497KB, 1920x1080px
Way more Option B) than I was expecting. I have another question then

Does anyone else play an old game, then retroactively work it into their childhood if it comes up in a conversation since normies usually can't really understand the concept of appreciating anything more than 2 years old unless it "brings back memories man"?

pic related is what I'm emulating right now. To be fair it'd only be a half lie because I did actually play GT2 at my friends house quite a bit back in the day, but I'm pretty sure I only played the Arcade mode. I was far too young to appreciate the depth of the simulation mode, the liscence tests, the comfy fucking menus and menu music, and the fun of browsing the used cars and tuning them. Back then I thought the entire point of video games was driving like a retard without facing consequences.
>>
I just play them because they are fun. The same reason I would play a modern game.
>>
>>3100534
I just find that the 4th and 5th gen have a lot of fantastic games to offer from my favorite genres and when reasonably possible I like to actually own a physical copy of something. I'm the same way about things like books.

Especially when without emulation those games are restricted to digital stores like Steam or Nintendo's Virtual Console, which are hot garbage and I'd rather not rely on. PSN seems okay but I haven't grabbed a PS4 yet to judge.

I still play newer games too but the more popular genres shifted to sandbox, open world, western rpg, first person shooter, cinematic and competitive online multiplayer, which all never really clicked with me. Been playing a lot of handheld and indie games while Japan gets their act together.
>>
A and E. It's pure nostalgia. I don't even play most of the games I collect. And speculation has treated me well so far.

Also, older games don't really have plots, just premises. Most video game plots are written by autists for autists.
>>
A-C. Some games I play for sentimental reasons, others I play because I've never played them and I've heard they're fun, and then occasionally I'll play a game for historical reasons.
>>
File: 1366781234141.jpg (62KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
1366781234141.jpg
62KB, 700x600px
For me it's:
F) I can play games from any era, but I generally prefer older games from 1980 to 2007. I do think games from that period are better, more appealing and distinct. I also love learning about gaming history, and seeing the evolution of gaming concepts/series/genres over the years.

A) was relevant to me about a decade ago when I started getting back into old games from my childhood. At this point I've played most of them extensively though. I still play some childhood games for old times' sake occasionally, especially when I'm with other people, but it's not the main reason I'm into retro gaming now.

B) is not that relevant since I play games from the early arcades all the way to the PS2 era all the time, so it's not about my "prime years" of gaming. I also play all sorts of games regardless of whether they're known or how much hype there was behind them. Although if it gets a lot of praise from the right circles, it will definitely give more incentive to play it.

C) -- There are some archaic games I only play as historical curiosities, and it's always nice to understand what gamers experienced or what gaming was like at the time. But I actually like playing old games; history lessons are just a nice bonus.

D) -- I think gaming started getting worse and less special after a certain point. I still like quite a few modern games like Vanquish, Resonance of Fate and Mount & Blade though so it's not a black and white situation where not a single game after that point is worth playing.

E) -- One of the nice things about getting into old games early on is that I bought lots of games before they got a price hike. And now that I have emulators and flash carts, I can sell them off. It was never a big part fo the hobby for me though. And sometimes I do hate vidya. Mega Man X6 still makes me rage.
>>
>>3100534
B and C
I love the Atari 2600 and wonder why it's not more loved by the masses
>>
>>3100534
none of the above. I play retro games because I enjoy the game design philosophy of the time. literally just different game styles and feel. That being said, I also play new games.
>>
Mostly B. I read a lot of videogame magazines as a kid and marveled at all those games I couldn't play back then.

Sometimes A. But I'm often disappointed by games I cherished when I was younger.
>>
>>3100534

Began with Nostalgia, but I am actually disappointed with design decisions of modern games, I feel they are made for a wider lower average IQ audience, built to be handholding and streamlined.

For instance I used to play WoW a lot, but blizzard modernized it over time, and when we complained we were told something is wrong with us, that we can't handle change and so on.

Same with the shift from runescape classic to 3D. The only MMO I play now is Aberoth, since it still has stuff like open pvp and item drops.

Similarly, Morrowind is still the best TES game.

Another infuriating part of modern games I suppose are the achievements, social media integration, all that stuff. Completely ruins the mystery and excitement. I'd rather download old magazines from 1995 and emulate something cool. I like not having stupid stuff popping up asking me to login and signup and share my gaming achievements.
>>
A little bit of anything, but mostly B). To think I can nowadays play mostly all arcade games that never came to my country/city for free still amazes me. Or even play the ones I already played a lot in the past like Street Fighter 2 and actually get good at them.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.