[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are one of these worth a buy? I want to play some ps1 games on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: s-l1600.jpg (259KB, 1500x914px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
259KB, 1500x914px
are one of these worth a buy? I want to play some ps1 games on my hd tv with my old playstation, but they look like crap. and I really dont want to nor have the space for a CRT.
>>
>>3091754
No, it's not worth it. If you do decide to buy one you'll just convince yourself that it's better than not having one and that it was completely worth the $300+ you spent on it. At that price, who wouldn't?
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>3091754
Dude just get a small like 13 inch crt. You can find them for like nothing and I personally prefer them to big crt's. The picture quality looks nice when its not all stretched out.
>>
>>3091754
If you consider scanline effect a must-have it's for you. Otherwise cheaper alternatives might work.
Although you'll have to make sure whatever you get can handle 240p correctly, so you don't get the dreaded window shades effect on every-other field flicker and stuff like that from attempts to deinterlace a progressive picture.
>>
>>3091754
CRT performance will still be fractionally superior at a much lower price but if you have the money to spare and you strongly want to play SD games on an HD display then yes it's worth it.
>>
Just hook your PC up to the TV and emulate.
PS1 emulation on computers is pretty great.
>>
>>3091754
Just use a PS3.
>>
I've got one and it's worth it. Very nice picture on every system I've used. But be aware that there's a delay when switching between 240p and 480i, especially on the PSX. This can render certain games unplayable. Otherwise it's a great piece of kit, highly recommended. Yeah it's no CRT but still a great alternative.
>>
>>3091754
It's the best scaler for 720/1080p at the moment you can buy.
Like the other dude said. It's one con is a long delay for games hat switch between 240p and 480i. There's not many.

Micomsoft and their main distributor/exporter Solaris japan are generally very helpful also.
>>3091779
>>3091789
>>3091795
>>3091812
>>3091816
>>3091927
Hi underage
>>
>>3091754
The most important feature of the CRT is low persistence. Upscalers do nothing to simulate this. You're better off emulating on a modern gaming LCD.
>>
>>3092345
They have this neat new feature called a strobe.
>>
If you wanna play PS1 games in 240p then just get a PS2 and some component cables.
>>
File: 14590355091881039168588.jpg (630KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
14590355091881039168588.jpg
630KB, 2048x1152px
>>3091754
Just pop it in one of these.
>>3092357
Not all games display properly like this.
>>
>>3092357
IIRC a PS2 won't output PS1 games through the component output.
>>
>>3092353
Yes, that's a feature of the monitor, not the upscaler.
>>
>>3092416
It's like you don't have an argument and just thrown some google parroted information out you read about CRTs.
>>
>>3092373
>Just pop it in one of these.
PS1 on PS3 looks terrible compared to PS1/PS2 consoles with RGB.
>>
>>3091754
If CRT isn't an option, this is your best number 2

>>3091779
/v/ is over there
>>
>>3092373
Isn't there input lag on PS3 since it's just emulating?
>>
>>3092627
Not noticeable, I can hit combos in Legend of Dragoon no prob.
>>
>>3092582
I think ps2 with fast disk speed and smoothing on is best.

Yes PS3 isn't the superior choice but is alot cheaper than an rgb cable and a scaler.
>>
>>3091754
>and I really dont want to nor have the space for a CRT.
Where the fuck did this meme come from?
The width and height of a CRT is similar to that of an LCD. The screen is the size that you chose.

As for depth understand that no one puts objects in front of their display otherwise it would obstruct viewing. Also, no one puts things behind their display because there are a bunch of cords there.
Is there anything behind your monitor? Do any of your friends and family store objects behind their LCD TV?
>>
>>3092652
thats just an excuse
the real reason is

'b-but a CRT will make me look poor!!!'
>>
>>3091789

You can set it to 4:3 easily, anon. I enjoy a Framemeister and it does not have to be set to stretch the picture.
>>
>>3092414

It will, at 240p. Your TV might not accept a 240p signal, though.
>>
>>3092652
>Is there anything behind your monitor?
In my case there's a wall.
After I got rid of my CRT I could rearrange my room, move the cabinet it stood on backward and gain quite a bit of extra space.
And that was only a standard 21" while now I have 36".
>>
>>3092340
Here's your (you)
>>
>>3092794
no, the real reason is that some people don't want to devote extra space to a second television. Especially one that will only be used occasionally for video games. I have the same problem. my house is set up for a certain number of TVs, and adding more means another piece of furniture to set it up on, existing furniture being moved, and cash being blown on all of this.

much easier to just make the new tech play nice with the old tech
>>
>>3092864
upscalers cost more than crts
>>
>>3092886
Not good CRT's, like a BVM-20F1U. In general you're right though, as a good sized garbage CRT can be found at most second hand shops for cheap.
>>
>>3092652
>>3092794

A newer 50+ inch LCD weighs less than a 20 inch CRT, doesn't have a constant high pitched whine from a flyback transformer, and will never bloom out.

I'm a CRT buff, but be real-- it's not for everyone. You have to be okay with a small screen, unless you want a 2-person-min carry screen that'll crush most cheap media stands.

OP clearly said that CRT wasn't going to be an option. You all are as bad as the people who tell people asking about Flashcarts to "lol just emulate."
>>
>>3092896

You're retarded. There's mid to high end consumer CRTs being given away for cheap or free everyday on CL.
>>
>>3092896
component crts arent garbage and are everywhere
>>
File: 1445673070420.jpg (74KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1445673070420.jpg
74KB, 640x480px
Im really looking to get one for my Sega systems
>>
if youre trying to get the full experience with the original systems why would you use a modern tv and why would you want black bars

imo if you want to play on a modern tv just emulate because you arent getting the full experience anyway
>>
>>3092961
>if youre trying to get the full experience with the original systems why would you use a modern tv and why would you want black bars

I live in a small apartment and space is an issue
>>
>>3092961
What's wrong with pillar boxing?
Are you autistic that you need to have the whole area of the screen used even when it's smaller than the pillar boxed one?

Emulation will also allow you to go above and beyond the original experience due to the number of extra options available.
>>
>>3092980
nothing specifically wrong with it but
im sure if anyone (who cared about ratio) had to choose black bars or no black bars
they would choose no black bars
>>
>>3092652
This kid.
Someone who has always lived with their parents would not be able to understand the difficulties of living in a very small one bedroom, or even just a room in an apartment. Anyways, don't have a lot of space if you have a small room, and if you live in a big city, you definitely don't have a lot of space. Having both a big HDTV and a bulky heavy CRT is simply unreasonable. Not to mention if you also enjoy watching television and movies on your big HDTV. Then you must absolutely have the xrgbmini.
>>
>>3092932
Pvm/bvm ( especially a 20+ bvm) is not even close to being in the same league as a consumer CRT. High end or otherwise
>>
>>3092985
why cant you have a 14 inch crt on your desk or something?

another option is a big cheap sony wega for tv and games

face it the only reason you dont want a crt is cosmetic
>>
>>3092987
you do understand that a framememester doesnt look as good as a bvm right?

consumer aperture grill tv's with component input dont look far off from a pvm
unless they were sitting beside each other you wouldnt be able to tell much of a difference
>>
>>3092982
That problem is all in your head.
But if you like, you could attach miniature theater curtains to your TV to cover up the sides just like movie theaters use to cover up the "white bars" of the parts of the screen not being used by a particular movie.

I suppose one can make a case for greyish lit LCD "black" on the sides being a distraction if playing in a dark room.
>>
As for OPs question, let me try to answer why he would want to actually buy a feamemeister.

Essentially, The Frame meister is for the retro gamer who uses original hardware, and can afford to actually buy the Damned things along with the necessary cables and adapters. It's honestly a pretty niche market, but hey, it's there.
One of the main reasons why I, personally bought a framemeister was because I was having some awful display problems using regular component cables on my HDTV. I would have a lot of screen Shake and everything would look smudged as fuck. Like I said in my previous post I did not have a lot of room and I also watch a lot of movies so downgrading my HD TV to a CRT was absolutely not an option. Getting the free Meister was really my only option. Now I'm sure everyone has different setups, or more room for both a flat screen and a CRT, and if you do, congratulations for you.
But not everyone lives in a hick town in the middle of nowhere, some of us live in the big city where the average apartment room is Tiny and you just dont have space.

Sorry for being so ass blasted why this stupid anon I should just ignore him but it's just annoying to see these stuck up kids think they know everything.

One final thing. Take a very good look around the room and the trying to visualize if you could fit a pvm or regular old CRT somewhere. If you can do not get a fframemeister, just get a CRT.

I made this mistake before I decided to commit a section of a room for a pvm. Literally the only upside for me was I had already invested in EuroSCART cables from my SNES and could use those for RGB signal to my pvm which sadly also required more new cables. Just something to keep in mind, regardless of the route you go, you're going to need to buy a lot of special cables.
>>
>>3092998
I dont mind
i watch 4:3 content on my widescreen pc monitor all the time

and yes the blacks on a consumer LCD tv will be shit in a dark room
>>
>>3092991
This is exactly what I'm doing, actually. I realized I have a bunch of empty space running between my desk and my door, I decided to just get a very long your desk and put my pvm on top of that. When you live in such a small room, you really gotta prioritize your space. Hell, I'm even considering downgrading my double size mattress to a twin or even a single.

>>3092995
Yes, I know this, where did you think in my post I was saying otherwise? It's funny you mention this because as framemeister owner I've actually decided to get a pvm as well. The only thing is my room is pretty damn cramped now. It's something I'm okay with honestly the pictures and video of I've seen on the internet of PVMs or better running were too pretty to pass up
>>
>>3093001
Sorry for misspelling framemeister a bazillion times, its 2 a.m. and I'm tired and the autocorrect is too annoying to correct.
>>
>>3093009
just saying the best crts arent relevant when were talking about using a framememer on a consumer LCD
>>
Get OSSC instead
>>
>>3093160
its out?
>>
>>3093160
Not fully testes yet. First reviews are pretty bug ridden.

>>3093226
No

Retail units are going out soon though. Like next month soon I think.
>>
>>3092835
no some ps1 games just don't work right over YPbPr.

If all you want to do is play without scaling issues a line doubler with s-video inputs is alright. if your tv has vga inputs you can run a t-slg after it for scanlines.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.