[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /vr/, I have been looking at component cable switches for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

Hi /vr/, I have been looking at component cable switches for my CRT setup and was wondering:
Without modding my consoles, what is the best quality output on each system?
Here's what I know so far
>Component: Wii, PS2, Xbox, DREAMCAST and GC
>S-Video: N64, PS1
But I don't know about the Saturn, Genesis, or SNES... Can you guys help? Not eurotrash so I can't use SCART without modding
>>
>PS1
>S-video
anything under 6th gen should be capable of RGB trough scart, so that's the best you can go for.
>>
>>3080757
Gamecube component cables are crazy expensive, just share the n64s s video cable.

NTSC scart>scarf switch>audio breakout>yuv transceiver>TV for the rest you're unsure of.. Model 1 or model 2 genni?
>>
>>3080767
Why don't you try actually reading his post.

>>3080757
>Not eurotrash so I can't use SCART without modding
SCART cables don't require any modding, just an adapter, but it wouldn't even matter unless you had a set capable of RGB, which you likely do not. (Just to clarify "SCART" is just a type of cable. The actual signal being transmitted is "RGB". The only sets you're going to come across that can process RGB are professional video production monitors.)

I'm pretty sure SNES and Saturn have S-video built in. With Genesis, it's Composite or RGB. It might be worth doing this >>3080776 and transcoding the RGB signal into Component, but the only component transcoder I ever found was trash. Introduced a ton of signal decay, looked like crap.
>>
NES is composite/rf only
>>
>>3080776
>Gamecube component cables are crazy expensive, just share the n64s s video cable.
I thought of that but do the Wii cables output a composite signal when used on GCN? I know third party cables didn't due to a proprietary chip
>>
>>3080802
My mistake,

S-video:
PS1, N64, NEO GEO CD, Amiga CD32, FM Towns Marty, 3DO, SNES, Jaguar, PC-FX, Philips CD-i, Saturn (not sure)

Comp:
NES, Master System, NEO GEO AES, Turbografx, Genesis. Super A'Can

everything else is just RF.
>>
File: wires breh.jpg (57KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
wires breh.jpg
57KB, 1000x1000px
>>3080757
Most composite cables can be plugged into an S-video jack. (pic related) and you will get that nice S-video look. I would guess anything from the Genesis till now supports Svid. Nes does not. A must for N64 at least.
>>
>>3080838
Wii and GC have a different connector and you need the chip in the official cable. Running all mine s-video so I can use one switch and k.I.s.s.

Tested component on ps2 and the difference was fairly minor. Some ps1 games didn't display properly with the component cable as well. Don't know if its limited to my launch ps2 or all models. I play all ps1-2 titles on the ps2. Disc speed increase is nice and the smoothing is better than ps3's
>>
>>3080995
No you won't.
>>
>>3080995
Don't listen to this guy he's an idiot.
>>
Just hook up the wii and the ps2 instead of the gamecube and ps1. Component out of both, backwards compatible. SNES, sat, 64 and and the genni get a 32x and composite. Output is better. Get a powerbase FM and you can play SMS games with enhanced audio too
>>
>>3081017
Why would that not work?
>>
>>3081043
Snes sat and 64 svid

2 passive switches with a splitter to combine audio outputs if your TV is like mine and has a shared audio input across s-vid and component
>>
>>3081061
S video separates the Luma and chroma signals with one of those cables you're just feeding composite video to both pins. It usually looks worse than composite connected properly.
>>
>>3081061
Composite and S-video are completely different formats. That cable will just give you a composite picture through an S-video port.
>>
>>3081074
>>3081081
thx!
What type of converter would I be able to input composite, and output S-video
>>
>>3081090
None, just get native S-video cables for your consoles.
>>
>>3080985
TG-16 puts out RGB over its expansion pins you just have to fabricate a cable
>>
>>3081090
None that I know of, or any composite conversion at standard def. if you can find a cheap svhs player it might since mine has composite inputs and svideo output. converting the signal after the fact isn't the same as native output from the console.

just run composite consoles as composite if you don't wanna mod or rgb scart-transcoder.
>>
>>3081007
Really, I thought all Nintendo systems used the same A/V OUT from SNES to the Wii, and the Wii U is when they changed it.
And I use my Cube for GB Player, so I guess I'll stick to Svid
>>
>>3081128
someone is selling one with a plug, believe it has an amp or some kind of chip in the console side. and there's the db grafx booster.
>>
>>3081197
I can assure you they're different I own snes-wii. also I got one of those cheapie snes power supplies, its 9v and the snes says 10v in on the back. something to look out for
>>
>>3081128
Does it also output Svideo?
I'm in north america and I don't want to pay large money for an RGB to component transcoder.
>>
>>3081483
No and it needs an amp to output rgb bright enough. You're in for either a dB grafx booster or scart to yuv transcoder. Looking at a few bucks either way should be under 3 digits.

Diy composite cable is the only dirt cheap upgrade. Maybe someone is selling one.
>>
>>3080757
Saturn, Genesis and SNES all have RGB. So does the PS1. Using a scart cable doesn't require modding.
>>
>>3080757

>Not eurotrash so I can't use SCART without modding

You don't need to mod tvs to get RGB, just the consoles themselves. Also, some consoles like the genesis have jailbars that need to be removed.

http://retrorgb.com/
>>
>>3080995
>Runs stereo audio into s-video
>S-video doesn't even deal with audio
What the fuck is the point of the red and white wires here?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.