[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is memorizing the level cheating? If you know what happens every

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

Is memorizing the level cheating? If you know what happens every step of the way it is boring and no longer a game. Memorization isn't true game skill.
>>
ITT: 6th genner plays a retro game for the first time.
>>
youngfag
>>
ITT: People who can't actually refute that most retro games are all memorization so they just throw insults.
>>
It is cheating. That's why in the hardcore gaming community it's recommended you hit yourself in the skull with a hammer after every 10 attempts at a stage so the next time you can start fresh again.
>>
>>3078720
This. The original meaning of "1cc" was "1 concussion clear" because you only had to use the hammer once, at most, before you beat the game.
>>
ideally, a game should have enough leeway that there are multiple ways to get through it

this can be as simple as having multiple ways of attacking enemies. In Mario, there's jumping on goombas, spitting fireballs, using your racoon tail, etc. Part of what made SoR2 so fun despite how easy it was was the plethora of moves, so that in the early levels the player could choose how to defeat the very easy enemies and later on there were benefits to using the right moves in the right context.

or a level can have multiple paths and lots of areas to explore. Metroid is the epitome of this, but 2d Sonic games were also very rewarding in this sense.

if the gameplay is essentially playing Simon or a long series of Shenmue QTEs, then it's not much of a game.
>>
>>3078692
>Is memorizing a song cheating? If you know and perfect every note it is boring and no longer a song. True musicianship doesn't involve memorization.
>>
>>3078784
I know, right! Listening to music is totally the same as playing games since they are both interactive mediums controlled by the consumer!
>>
>>3078791
Being how modern games are just QTE experiences, I think hitting the play button on the cd player counts as a video game now.
>>
>>3078791
>Listening to music
when did anyone say anything about listening to music?
>>
File: 1164878419336.jpg (5KB, 233x264px) Image search: [Google]
1164878419336.jpg
5KB, 233x264px
>>3078791
He's talking about playing music from an instrument not a recording though. Just saying.
>>
>>3078692
implying speedrunning which involves thousands of hours of practice is cheating and doesn't take any true skill.
>>
>>3078692
Memorizing alone will get you nowhere, you can memorize all the moves from a WR player in any game but you will still suck at it because of your poorass execution.
>>
I'm pretty good at Super Probotector because I've had the game over 20 years and I can't help but remember all the stuff that happens and when.
>>
>>3078796
None of the (several) modern games I've played have QTEs. You just keep playing the shitty games, anon-kun.
>>
>>3078825
The top games do. Don't know about your "hipster classic watch my hidden gems video" tier games.
>>
>>3078825
SFV is virtually nothing but QTEs. If you don't press the right button at the right fraction of a second you're pretty much done for.
>>
>>3078692
so I take it some people sit around dreaming up the most ridiculous possible statement that could still almost pass for a stupid person's genuine opinion

well done OP, well done
>>
>>3078697
Excuse me sir, I'm an 18 year old n00b and I was wondering what a "6th genner" is. Could you please explain and tell me what "genner" I'm in?
>>
>>3078874
it's a Pokemon term, ask /vp/
>>
>>3078874
Derogatory term to people that want to force the 6th generation of consoles on the board.

When you see a comment showing ignorance about a retro game or aspect of them it gets thrown out.
>>
>>3078692
Memorizing the game is the game.
When the game is trivial, then it is beaten.
>>
>>3078692
You're reiterating to us part of the meta of how it's done. There is no way you do not get any satisfaction when you can beat the difficult levels, no sweat.
>>
>>3078692
>Memorization isn't true game skill.
I even dunno what are true game skills.
>>
File: 1456722439113.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1456722439113.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>3078720
>>3078771
Kek
>>
>>3078908
>kek
Underageb& please go.
>>
>>3078908
Get lost newfriend. Me and >>3078910
are old and we rule this forum. We are the rarest of pepe so scram. Top Zozzle.
>>
File: 1451043499522.jpg (162KB, 959x721px) Image search: [Google]
1451043499522.jpg
162KB, 959x721px
>>3078692
Part of skill is memorization. How the fuck are you gonna apply what you learn if you don't remember any of it?

>>3078697
Never thought I'd see you again. Where you been for such a long time?
>>
>>3078942
>Never thought I'd see you again. Where you been for such a long time?
Hanging out and stuff. You know.
>>
>>3078936
Aw shucks anon. I just wanted to hang with the cool kids and fit in. Maybe if I fitted in, it would be so dapper.
>>
>>3078815
It's only cheating when they abuse glitches that let you break the game and beat it in 3 seconds or some shit.
>>
>>3078936
>Me and >>3078910
>are old
Shut up milennial youngin
>>
>>3079001
Nah, that's not cheating. Speedrunning is competitive, so everyone follows the same rules. Cheating would be using a gameshark or splicing a video.
>>
>>3079015
No, cheating is when you take performance enhancing drugs.
>>
>>3079015
What I mean is, you're cheating at the game by skipping most of the content, not cheating other people. It's not really a true test of skill.
>>
>>3079020
How is optimally performing multiple consecutive frame & pixel perfect inputs not a true test of skill?
>>
>>3079028
Because you're doing them to not play the game, but to glitch around the game to beat it.

It's not respecting what the developers had intended, that is to play the game properly without exploiting unseen bugs.
>>
>>3079035
>It's not respecting what the developers had intended
Yeah, let's all respect our dev overlords and play the game in the most boring, unskilled way possible and pretend it's competitive.
>>
>>3079039
Keep thinking that exploiting a bug that makes you jump directly to the game's ending means you're a skilled gamer, lol.
>>
>>3078692
No, it's not. Hope this helps, faggot.
>>
>>3079046
You're implying that any% is the only category for games with various forms of ACE, which is not the case at all. Glitches are used in most speedruns, but even most speedrunners think credits warp categories are lame for actual competition. This is why legacy categories exist.

Super Metroid, for example, has a credits warp, but the most competitive and prestigious category is any% no major glitches.
>>
>>3079046
keep thinking that playing through the game exactly the way as the developer intended is more skilled than utilizing extremely complex and technical unintended mechanics.
>>
If a game exploit allows you do too much such as skip to the end or is otherwise lame, then a variant is added where you are not allowed do that. It's not rocket science.
>>
>>3079054
>then a variant is added where you are not allowed do that
which is then usually separated from the category with the skip into its own category. any% is always the fastest category though, even if it involves a credits warp type glitch.
>>
File: 4b46c4ed.jpg (56KB, 452x452px) Image search: [Google]
4b46c4ed.jpg
56KB, 452x452px
The definition of practicing is forcing your brain and/or body to memorize how to do something perfectly.

Apparently becoming good at something is now cheating.
>>
>>3079074
If it wasn't for all those cheaters in the NBA I'd be an elite athlete right now.
>>
>>3078692

This argument is almost as retarded as "emotional skill".
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTE_Yv1qyDI

OP is a faggot, and his thread is shit.
>>
>>3078784
>this
part of any performance is in knowing exactly what to do when, and then playing around that structure. Even cooking involves mechanically and repetitively chopping ingredients. you have to memorize certain aspects of any task.

Even then, however, there is a certain mindless bliss that comes from pulling off the same move perfectly, repeatedly, without having to struggle. when you get that flow and can act in perfect sync with everything happening on screen, it feels a little bit like meditation. One reason why shmups are so popular.
>>
File: vonnegut[1].jpg (53KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
vonnegut[1].jpg
53KB, 600x400px
>>3078720
good post
>>
>>3078791
Found the pleb.
>>
>>3078692
No. But posting while underage is. Face it. you're just mad babies can't git gud at old viday.
>>
>>3079224
That guy did pretty good for the first time playing that level.
>>
>>3078692
You're retarded.
>>
File: toejamearl-randomworld.jpg (183KB, 1920x940px) Image search: [Google]
toejamearl-randomworld.jpg
183KB, 1920x940px
>>3078692
What about games you can't memorize? Do those take more skill than static games?
>>
File: gofuckyourself.jpg (153KB, 580x600px) Image search: [Google]
gofuckyourself.jpg
153KB, 580x600px
>>3079681
>1920x940
WHY
>>
>>3078692
Derp, you still have to execute and that's the skill bit in the same fucking way when you learn to play an instrument you memorize what to do but then you have to execute it. How hard the execution is depends on the game though for example go try playing any shmup to wr level and you'll see that no matter how much you memorise what to do actually executing it will take you potentially years and eve then will be improvable. TL:DR you're a dumb cunt who has never actually learnt anything hard in your life.
>>
File: 1000.jpg (84KB, 1000x1071px) Image search: [Google]
1000.jpg
84KB, 1000x1071px
Memorization is fun.
>>
>>3078720
Why not just get really fucking stoned?
>>
>>3079681
Those games just force you to rely on luck.
>>
>is having a functioning human brain cheating?
God this sounds like some clickbait buzzfeed bullshit.
>>
Memorization is autism. You don't wanna be an autist, do you /vr/?
>>
>>3079681
Have not played that particular game but you have to remember loads of stuff even in roguelikes.

>>3080796
Well, you could try gitting gud.
>>
>>3080971
Yeah anyone who says roguelikes are all about luck has no idea what they're talking about.
>>
>>3080967
so is repetitive, calming behavior. y'know, video games?
>>
>>3083469
I only play non-repetitive videogames. Don't wanna catch a case of the Autism, y'know?
>>
>>3078692
Git gud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ_j_SEM1jQ
>>
>>3079046
Let's see you speedrun Mario 64, then. Beat it in under ten minutes (with glitches), then you can talk. Obviously it shouldn't be too much trouble, since exploiting glitches is soooo easy, right?
>>
>>3084113
exploiting bugs to skip content is fucking retarded

either beat the game legit with little to no fuck-ups (true skill) or quit gaming
>>
>>3084192
nice bait, almost had me.
>>
Since you can't stop yourself from learning muscle memory if you play it until you beat it...

Don't worry about it?

Seriously it is a non issue unless you're being a cheeky deekie and reading a guide or watching a LP BEFORE you play.
>>
>>3078692
>Is memorizing the level cheating?
Yes. Don't be a filthy cheater and use your memory to win. Others with short-long term memory issues will agree that using your memory is unfair and should not be legal when playing any game.
>>
>>3084541

kek
>>
>>3078692
I agree. It's artificial skill, you just pounded it into yourself too much.
Show me somebody going fast in Sonic the Hedgehog their first time playing it, avoiding obstacles, keeping up speed, and I'll be impressed. That guy is good at games
too bad he doesn't exist
>>
>>3084591
>their first time playing it, avoiding obstacles, keeping up speed, and I'll be impressed
If they made a widescreen hack of Sonic, it'd be a lot more manageable. Old Sonic had a lot of artificial difficulty because of the poor camera.
>>
The HD rereleases has widescreen, but they're only on tablets and phones if I recall.
>>
>>3084609
Yeah, I want to play that version. Either pull the camera out a little, put sonic more to the left, or just widen the screen a bit. When Sonic is at top speed, you can't react properly to things that show up. You memorize the level and anticipate it and that's how the game is fun, it's not fun the first couple times
>>
>>3078720
Why would you ever need more than one attempt to clear a stage?
This fucking casual-ass board I swear...
>>
>>3084706
>Why would you ever need more than one attempt to clear a stage?
If you fell short of an optimal time, obviously.

Don't tell me you're so casual you don't try to beat games as fast as possible.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.