[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best consumer avr for retro gaming? I Have a denon 987, does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1456839316458.jpg (400KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1456839316458.jpg
400KB, 1600x1200px
Best consumer avr for retro gaming?

I Have a denon 987, does 480i-p analog to digital conversion. 7.1 dual zones, audyssey etc. Also osd but only with analog inputs.

Some newer denons use the abt 2010 chip but I'm unsure of 240p support. Mine incorrectly recognizes it as 480i resulting in flickering.

Audio general too I guess.
>>
No idea what an "AVR" is.

A surround sound unit? Pointless for anything retro.
>>
>>3074234
Audio-Video Receiver
You can always use stereo expansion, some N64 games were even designed around that.
>>
>>3074234
Audio video receiver. Old ones like mine can convert 480i av,svid,comp to 480p hdmi. Newer versions have the same video processor as a dvdo is can. It also does Dolby processing and can convert stereo audio into 5-7 channel surround. Also has a direct mode which bypasses all audio processing let ing you hear raw audio from your console, at reference level if wanted.

>>3074234
>No idea what an "AVR" is.

No idea why you posted then, thanks for the bump though
>>
>>3074240
Still surround sound is pointless.

You may as well just go with a modern set up if you want it.

A soundbar would more than enough if your main use is retro games and you want something better than TV speakers.
>>
>>3074252
It just occurred to me that I've never seen anyone type out A/V receiver as AVR...

The scaling is shit.

Fake surround sound is shit too.
>>
>>3074253
In case you didn't notice this is my living room. I also listen to music and watch movies in here
>Still surround sound is pointless.
Get out.
>>
>>3074262
You're taking what I said out of context. Surround said for retro games is pointless and if you think otherwise you're a fucking idiot.

You're dealing with mono and stereo at best.
>>
>>3074259
I'm not using it for my main squeeze. I have a Crt station as well, I am just thinking of upgrading. I use direct when gaming and proper pcm, DTS when watching tv or playingnmodern games that support it.
>>
>>3074272
Then you're asking the wrong board. Buy something that handles HDMI sound so it works with modern games.
>>
>>3074287
It has 3 HDMI inputs. 1 out.
Which board? Mu didn't know shit about video processing.
>>
>>3074296
/g/ I guess.

Either way it's not a Retro Games topic.
>>
>>3074287
Xbone and PS4 still have S/PDIF out and for PCs without Dobly live you can often use a pass through.
I have an older non-HDMI Denon 1705 and so far newer models don't have enough incentives for me to buy them.
>>
>>3074298
im asking about 240p processing to hookup classic systems as in my op. /vr/ related. I'll try g as well.
>>
>>3074348
You'll need a standalone scaler for that.
>>
>>3074354
i think so, tv does great with 480p so I might just get an old dvdo iscan+v2 and hook it up via component.

I think I could hook it up between the source and the avr, via svid in and component out, set analog to digital conversion and run it to the display
>>
Just run all that shit into your mixing board and then out to your powered monitors.

Receiver, fucking pleb.
>>
>>3075219
Unhuh, post yours.

Ordered an iscan+, any cvga to component cable will work right? Checked the user manual and it has the correct output.
>>
>>3074234
you'd be surprised how many retro games utilize dolby pro logic
>>
Your setup looks mega comfy. Still might want to invest in a CRT or at least an upscaler though.
>>
>>3074223

The fan up top looks akward and the couch on the right looks like a pain in the ass for see the tv but for just hangin out and having some beers that looks comfy as fuck
>>
>>3076297
This guy knows

>>3076315
I have >>3074990 upstairs. I just want to play some surround sound games downstairs without having to disconnect or move anything but the system I want to play or buy a framemei$ter.

>>3076457
It's not up all the time, It's tits for ddr. Couch is in a shitty spot but we don't get much company out in the country.
I think I got a basic setup nailed with this. No new cables needed, minimal fuckery needed to set up and play. Avr has component inputs and is already hooked up via hdmi to the tv. So I use my existing svid cables to the doubler, component into the avr, hdmi to the tv. Retaining the osd, front input and ease of operation of the current setup. If it is too laggy I can get a switch for the component input on the tv.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.