[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never seen this game discussed here. Does /vr/ dislike

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: WildArms.jpg (236KB, 1453x857px) Image search: [Google]
WildArms.jpg
236KB, 1453x857px
I've never seen this game discussed here. Does /vr/ dislike this game or something?
Apart of the killer OST and Wild West feel, I enjoyed the story and the traditional turn-based gameplay.

What's your favourite and least favourite part in WA? Asgard is a bro and his moments with Cecilia saddens me. I hated De Le Metalica on my first play because my English fucking sucked back then and couldn't find the right door.

Also WA2 thread if you'd like.
>>
I only just recently played and finished it 2 months ago but it blew me away with so many things it did right.

The guardian system is good if not better than FFVIII, the force meter was pretty neat and the fact that each member (arguably) has equal weighting on the story with each member having their own zelda-esque tools was pretty damn fun.

The whole wild west/sci-fi setting never wears out its welcome either.

I'll definitely being playing sequel later, i hope it doesn't suck ass.
>>
File: wa2_790screen042.jpg (94KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
wa2_790screen042.jpg
94KB, 375x500px
There are Wild Arms threads from time to time. It seems like WA2 gets a lot more traction as a topic than WA1.
>>
>>3067924
which is dumb because the first game is the best game in the series
>>
>>3067805
>Just got here from YouTube
>>
>>3067805
>Does /vr/ dislike this game or something?

I can't speak for anyone else, but the series has a lot of issues with translation quality and censorship. That pretty much killed it for me.
>>
I didn't like the weird cat noise enemies make when you hit them. This is a memory from college. Haven't played it in 6 or 7 years. I did beat it, though, and I also quite liked Alter Code F.
>>
>>3067924
A lot of the time it gets attention here on /vr/ due to it's horrendous translation.

Anyway: 3 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 4
>>
Played through and did most everything in Wild Arms, the original one. Got reaaaaaal boring mid to late game. Really was a trudge to finish and I only did so since already had played so much of it at that point. I see why people may like it but it just didn't really catch me.
>>
BEST OPENING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVOFibwVMw0
>>
>>3068030
What was censored in WA1?
>>
>>3067805
Search the Port Town theme Arranged on YT (sorry phoneposting) and ANYTHING you find is worth listening to
>>
>>3067805
One of the most underrated game on PS1 with "Alundra" for me !
>>
>>3068153
>What was censored in WA1?

I was referring to the second game specifically, and the bad translation quality affected the series as a whole.
>>
WA2 was a master piece. Plain and simple. It was ruined by one of the most horrendous translations of the modern age, and the graphics were really subpar for the year it was released in, but everything else? The characters, the storyline, the setting, the gameplay and the music were as good as jrpgs go.

WA1 on the other hand was bloody good, and I have to confess most of it comes from real nostalgia factor. IT was the second jrpg I played on the Playstation(after Suikoden 1) and I remember having a brocrush with Jack. He was awesome, as was Hanpan.

And the remake, while an entirely different game, was not too bad.
>>
>>3068119
Wow, how wrong can you be? Apparently very wrong.

Obvious tier list is 2>1>3=5>4. Have not played the PsP one so I don't know where to put it. I seriously can't imagine someone thinking 3 would be the best, ever.

>>3068153
Don't know in WA1, but in WA2 it is implied Brad is a homosexual I think, which was turned to "really close friend to his army buddy", and the incest between the Valerias is omitted, since they basically do fuck each other. Also, probably something with Judecca. Can't really confirm this, but that guy was a psychopath in the english one, so I'm sure there's something for him in the original one as well.

On topic: Favorite part in WA1, Jack's backstory probably and when you defeat that floating bastard. Also, when you meet Boomerang in the arena and his music starts and he says shit like "I came dancing up from the pits of hell to meet you again." My dick was diamonds. Least favorite...can't really say. My gripes were more of the technical nature.

In WA2-Brad was great overall. I loved most of his parts. Kanon was also fun when you realise what she went through to get power. As for least favorite, I was not too fond of Tim and the parts that had to do with the shaman training stuff for some reason.
>>
>>3067805
Best town music in an rpg.
>>
>>3069043
I think the idea that Brad was homosexual came from people interpreting the translation in a certain way actually. Caina was the homosexual and was changed to be female in the localization, but it might've also just been part of the bad translation.
>>
>>3070036
It's a mix of the bad translation and the fact that at one point of the game two other chracters, Ashley & Tim, go to visit with implicit romantic partners. Brad just goes to see his old war buddy, but the translation makes it ambiguous that the war buddy was something more. Word of God has said that he's not gay though, so end of discussion there.
>>
>>3067805

Wild Arms is great. A shame about the battle graphics though.

Also repost about how Cecilia is a great female character (especially by JRPG standards)

>Can legitimately jockey for the "main character" position among the three characters, given that she's the primary person driving the party to save the world. And the whole ending is written from her perspective
>"Doesn't want to be the princess" for good reasons: earlier on because she's worried she won't be any good, and later on because the world needs saving and she can't sit idly by
>Never gets kidnapped or explicitly needs saving (other than when her whole town gets invaded by monsters and she can't hold all of them off)
>Platonic relationships with her two male traveling companions, rather than generic romance (that's the way I read it, anyway)
>Brings robot friend out of depression
>Convinces giant robot friend to help them
>Spunky without being annoying.
>Ending is her deciding to live her own life and she reunites with the party to journey around and save the world

Her one flaw is that she's vaguely mary sue-ish, but she's presented in such a way that it's doesn't even really bother the player.
>>
>>3070468
Wild Arms as a whole series does exceptionally well with having great female characters who come across as basically normal, with their strengths & weaknesses but never crossing the extreme respective boundaries of ACTION GIRL or damsel in distress. This is rather uncommon for any Japanese fiction. These characters include Kanon, Virginia Maxwell, and ESPECIALLY Avril Vent Fluer.
>>
I loved the first Wild Arms. The magic system was kinda nice in that it was relatively freeform and allowed you to rename spells (pointless but it's nice to have), loved upgrading the ARMS and Jack was cool. Cecilia's ability to do cool things with consumable items was really fun, and I wonder why no more games allow such a thing.

The 3D graphics for the battles were terribad even for the time (although while the models and effects sucked, it did have dynamic lighting of sorts, so they were technically nice despite the model quality being terrible) and the combat itself somehow reminded me of Lufia 2, a favorite of mine. Music had some real good moments and even the story had some cool points and everything.

I enjoyed 2 too, but not as much, despite looking better and having more solid aspects. No idea why. 3 I liked a bit because it felt the most western of the bunch. And then the series became weird to me with the hexagon grids and forgettable character designs.

I never played the remake because it didn't get to my country and was too lazy to pirate, but should one day. Although if I replayed it I'd probably still go for the original, it had some oh so exploitable underflow bugs.
>>
>>3070468
Don't forget that she can down 5 burgers like it's nothing.
>>
>>3070649
I wonder what the original source lore is for magicians needing to eat enormous amounts of food
>>
>>3070860
Slayers did it before WA.
>>
>>3070468
Go to bed, Anita

>>3068148
Dat "secret" prologue though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gt8AvnVR-M
>>
This was the best thing ever to wait for the FF7 release back in the days. Awesome music, great story, lots of sidequests. A cult classic.
>>
>>3070906
Eh, gives away too much about Jack.
>>
>>3072670
Probably worth it for the extra amount of intrigue it adds to all the confrontations with Alazam and Harken
>>
>>3072675
Why is Harken 3x the size of Jack
>>
>>3072676
Radical reconstructive surgery.
>>
>>3072670
It's best watched after Adlehyde dies I think

>>3072676
Demon's are big guys
>>
I actually find the idea of a Wild West-themed RPG game like Wild Arms interesting, but I don't know which game to play first. Which game in the series should I start with?

>>3073253
For you
>>
>>3073865
I would say start with 3 then, because of all of them, 3 has THE most Western feel to it. In that one, each single party member uses a firearm (usually it's just one or two characters in the other games). Also the entire world is a desert. That, combined with this sorta film grain effect with which the entire game is overlayed, makes you feel like you are playing some Western movie that was filmed in New Mexico.
>>
Something about the super chibi models in battle killed the fun for me. It's a stupid reason to not have finished the game but I couldn't stand them anymore. Got 95% done, stopped one day and never got the will up to finish. Otherwise a fucking great game. Those bobble head models tho...
>>
>>3074063
Maybe you should play Alter Code: F? Same game, only with properly scaled 3D models.
>>
>>3073865
just play 1.
All other had various degrees of disappointment with, while I still want to replay 1 sometime.
>>
>>3074070
Alter Code:F does make changes to the characters/story though
>>
File: 1239859548345.jpg (79KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1239859548345.jpg
79KB, 800x600px
one of my favorite games, never played the rest of the series though. I liked how you could rebuild that one town after the attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq4sxwyr5Do
>>
>>3075013

All I did was give them money. I don't remember what impact that had.
>>
>>3074992
It honestly fucks up some of the best scenes entirely, and the layout of the towns really makes no sense at all.

And let me tell you the town layouts in WA were fun as hell, as fun as exploring dungeons even

ACF has that problem where everything is bigger and more detailed, but more empty and less interesting as a consequence. The imagination does less work, and less work goes into making what's there actually interesting. A classic story of diminishing the ladder because of your earlier success.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.