[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a retro shmup thread? I don't want to go to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

File: 0002.png (30KB, 384x224px) Image search: [Google]
0002.png
30KB, 384x224px
Can we have a retro shmup thread? I don't want to go to /vg/ and discuss Steam shit. I'd much rather discuss 90's shmups.

What are you currently playing?
>>
Cave has some great games.
>>
These threads made me hate shmups, so, no.
>>
I'm playing a lot of strikers 1945 that i found for 100yen. Man it's giving me my money's worth!! Great fun.

>>3062420
Don't look then
>>
Life Force
>>
I always get brickwalled in these games at around the third or fourth stage... Can't get any further than that without credit feeding.
>>
>>3062710
I'm really having rhis problem in Mars Matrix. I haven't really found the balance of when to dodge and when to use the gravity bomb.
>>
What's a good ship for beginners in DoDonPachi? I've just been using the red ship with powered up lazer, because that kills bosses really fast.
>>
>>3062791
>What's a good ship for beginners in DoDonPachi?
C-shot. Only tradeoff is the bosses are a little more difficult, but it's worth it because you can completely ignore aiming during the stages.
>>
>>3062710
You don't gain a super fabulous life achievement by beating the game in one credit, don't worry about it.
>>
>>3062791
Red ship + route memorization is the way to go.
>>
>>3062812

On the other hand, it's not satisfying at all to brute force the game by bombing a bunch, dying a bunch, and continuing a bunch.
>>
>>3062947
If you're doing that you have no business attempting an 1cc anyway so who cares.
>>
>>3062947
It's even less satisfying to credit feed R-Type for five consecutive hours at the same checkpoint, then cry yourself to sleep before having to get up and go to work two hours later

for example

not that such a thing ever happened to me
>>
>>3062954
Old toaplan games used to be exactly like that with R-Type style checkpoints.
I guess it's why /vr/ loves them so much over Cave shit, because you're masochists.
>>
>>3062950

That's what I'm saying. It's more fun to work toward 1ccing than mashing bomb between deaths.
>>
You can always discuss shmups on /vr/

Anyway i was playing Rayxanber 3,good game but its hard as balls.
>>
>>3062962
I think turning a bunch of cheats on and playing as cheap as possible can have its use in a cathartic sort of way.
>>
>>3062954

Honestly, why on earth are those games so massively difficult? There's a line, and every single one of them crosses it.
>>
File: 8D0[1].png (345KB, 528x704px) Image search: [Google]
8D0[1].png
345KB, 528x704px
ITT: That one shmup you know for a fact you'll never beat, but you keep playing anyway.

Pic related, it doesn't help that in addition to being stupidly hard, Truxton II also happens to be one of the longest arcade shmups out there. Though it doesn't feel that way when I'm playing it strangely enough.
That super friendly music just makes it impossible for me to get frustrated with this game!
>>
>>3063560

I can beat every shmup with enough credits :^)
>>
>>3062954
The good thing about checkpoint based games is that even if you credit feed you still need some skills to beat them

>>3063560
that ending doe
>>
File: 1413061980093.jpg (34KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1413061980093.jpg
34KB, 640x480px
>>3063563

I'll bet those Gradius games treated you well. ^_~`
>>
>>3063560
Gradius III

I kinda wanted to do it but the cube rush is just too much.
>>
File: BlackHeart.png (66KB, 159x90px) Image search: [Google]
BlackHeart.png
66KB, 159x90px
Best OST and why it's Garegga?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aesXbuGv1dg
>>
>>3063618
BatRider has far better music, though.
>>
>>3063623
It's good but i prefer Garegga's.

Both are better than Bakraid's music though, no FM = no deal.
>>
This may be a long shot, but is there such a thing as a procedurally generated shmup? I like the idea of these games, but when I die I either continue which makes me loose all my powerups or I start over but then I'm back to playing the exact same stage again.

Most of these games I only get to level 3 or 4 max because after a couple of restarts I'm bored doing the same level again and stop playing.

So it got me wondering are there any where the waves of enemies change each time? Even if it's the same handful of groups being thrown out at different times or something just to give some variety. Or any suggestions on how to make repeated playthroughs of the same level more interesting?
>>
>>3064181
Rrootage or the likes. There's several out there. Noiz2sa and Rrootage being the best though IMO.
>>
File: rr_screen.png (106KB, 648x503px) Image search: [Google]
rr_screen.png
106KB, 648x503px
>>3064187
>Rrootage
I was excited till I looked it up. Why do interesting sounding games always look so terrible?
>>
>>3063618
That's fucking awesome
>>
File: recca.png (6KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
recca.png
6KB, 256x224px
never been super into shmups, or nes/fc for that matter, but recca is nothing short of an air thin miracle. holy shit, it's incredible. plays so well.
>>
>>3064214
It's from like early 2001. It's nearly retro itself honestly. But it's very fun and has great variety.
>>
>>3064272
After bashing Recca in a previous thread, I went back and gave it another try. The two things that kind of kill it for me is that it's just too fast and that even on the 3ds xl, the screen is just too small. I have to go down to 0 bar speed to make the adjustments needed to stay between the second boss' cannon fire.

After that, stage 3 absolutely drains me. This is where the speed of the game makes it hard to react and learn what's going on and what's killing me and what I need to do to avoid it.

Graphically it's still an amazing game, but I think showing off how far they pushed the hardware was to the detriment of making it fun to play.
>>
File: _20160314_215540.jpg (54KB, 265x376px) Image search: [Google]
_20160314_215540.jpg
54KB, 265x376px
Just got SolarStrikers for $5, fantastic game and worth the purchase. Only oddity is how the highscore resets the 20000 every time I restart the game, if the battery was dead i'd assume it'd reset back to 0.
>>
>>3065946
Probably a default highscore if one can't be loaded.
>>
>>3065946

There is no battery. It defaults to 20000 every time it powers on.
>>
File: gunroar.gif (119KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gunroar.gif
119KB, 640x480px
>>3064214
All of Kenta Cho's (ABA Games) games have a pretty similar visual style. He's a programmer, not an artist, so his games reflect that. Some of them look pretty damn cool.
>>
>>3064181
>procedurally generated shmup

Warning Forever is another early 2000s doujin shmup you may be interested in. It's just a boss rush where the boss gets larger each time. I believe it has random/procedural elements.
>>
>>3065819
whoops, I was counting wrong. The Stage 1 boss is where the adjustments seem really tiny. Watching a video I saw them using the options to kill the planes while using the charge to block the boss' cannons. So far my attempts to reproduce this have bee disasterous. And you only get one chance since you lose your options when you die.

So I've only really made it as far as when Stage 2 starts scrolling upwards again after the blue snake miniboss. I'm making it further and further little by little.
>>
>>3066023
For some reason I always mixup Warning Forever with Every Extend. They're not even similar!
>>
>>3065946
it doesn't have a battery, it's a first wave GB game.
>>
>>3066023
>Warning Forever

I've played that actually. Damn fun game.
>>
>>3066040
nigga you suck buttholes
>>
>>3064181
Zanac had "A.I." that basically studied how you played the game and adjusted its enemy selection/placement accordingly. Personally I've never really noticed it but it does make the game slightly different every time other than the bosses.
>>
>>3066870
>actually
I like how you say that as if it's such an obscure fucking game and not one of the most popular freeware SHMUPs there is.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.