[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did this age poorly? I read a review of Live & Reloaded that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: conkers-bad-fur-day-3[1].jpg (200KB, 875x771px) Image search: [Google]
conkers-bad-fur-day-3[1].jpg
200KB, 875x771px
Did this age poorly? I read a review of Live & Reloaded that said all the jokes it makes about stuff like The Matrix are outdated and unfunny nowadays.

Also is there any Conker lewd out there?
>>
>>3060137
All the Rare platformers are just really tedious and boring because all it is is collecting for the sake of collecting.
>>
>>3060147
How would you correct it, considering Banjo-Kazooie uses Jiggies to unlock new worlds.

Jak & Daxter is dull.
>>
>>3060137
Opinions, I remember disliking most of the jokes back in 2005 when I first emulated it. But the multiplayer was nice.
>>
>>3060137
Live & Reloaded came out six or seven years later, and by that time some of the jokes were dated.

The movie references are timeless though.
>>
>>3060178
Collecting Jiggies is fine, because it's basically the major goals of a level, same as Mario 64's stars.

The issue is it's not just jiggies. You need Notes for note doors,

The biggest offender is by far and wide DK64. Far too many collectibles, and requiring specific characters to get. You need the currencies for upgrades that are required, etc.
>>
>all the jokes it makes about stuff like The Matrix

That's probably an outlier; by 2005 everyone and everything had parodied The Matrix and nobody every wanted to see bullet time and red pills again.
>>
Well man, if the review said so it must be true.

We all know that the quality of a game changes over time.
>>
>>3060137

Only kids fucking say this shit.

Jesus christ people that watch youtube for information are the lowest form of humanity. You can do better.
>>
>>3060263
I read this in EGM like 10 years ago, nigger.
>>
>>3060137
>Did this age poorly?
A game aging poorly is a sign it was never that good to begin with.
>>
>>3060350
>>3060349
>>3060279
>>3060241
>>3060203
>>3060197
>>3060191
>>3060178
>>3060147
>>3060137
>age

Back to /v/.
>>
>>3060137
Of course it did. This game is only known for being the ultimate edgelord trip. No one would have cared otherwise.
>>
>>3060137
It aged pretty well. The shell has yellowed a little and there's a small scuff on the label but aside from that it's exactly the same as it was when it came out. Hasn't aged a bit. Were you afraid there was actually a small squirrel trapped in the cart that was going to grow old and drink itself to death or something?
>>
>>3060137
IMO it was never good. The graphics were impressive for the time and the multiplayer was fun, but the main gameplay was mediocre and the "jokes" aren't really even jokes, just pop culture references.
>>
>>3060147
Conker is not a collectathon in the slightest
>>
I actually just played this on my N64 recently. I don't think it's aged badly, but there are some aspects about it that really got on my nerves. The depth perception in certain places such as those fucking spinning fan blades underwater after the fight with GMP and the camera issues hindered my fun in some parts of the game. And it makes some of the platforming really frustrating because it can be hard to judge your jumps. Also, the last bit on the beach when you escape Teddi Island is fucking bullshit and whoever designed it is an evil man.

Still, I had a hell of a lot of fun with it and for the most part it holds up really well. Spooky and It's War are the objectively the two best chapters in the game in terms of gameplay.
>>
>>3060137
Yes. The gameplay aspect of it is just very basic stuff. Nothing that'll wow you or even make you interested in the concept. Though some concepts like pissing in things still get a chuckle out of me.

Regardless, even then the gameplay can be a royal pain in the ass and becomes tedious and boring to the point that no amount of jokes and pop culture references will ever make it worth dealing with.

The humor itself is good and holds up until you complete the caveman stage. From there the humor (along with the enjoyment of the game itself), begins to decline. HEAVILY. All the minor flaws you were putting up with come out in full force.

The shitty camera
The shitty side missions like shooting the squirrel zombies (seriously, FUCK THIS LEVEL) or guiding the purple guy from the toilet to the correct spot
Jokes that are piss poor attempts at comedy.

While the ending is actually good IMO, it's still no excuse for what you have to go through.

All in all, I would give it a 6.5/10
>>
>>3060791
>and the "jokes" aren't really even jokes, pop culture references

sounds like deadpool
>>
>>3061014
>FUCK THIS LEVEL

casual
>>
>>3060137
How does making references to the pop culture of its time make the game age poorly? Is the game supposed to edit itself to make sure the jokes are always relevant? How does that detract from the game in any way? Why would you play a game released on the N64 in the first place if something as trivial as this bothers you?

This 'outdated' critique is so fucking stupid
>>
File: 1433968402391.jpg (17KB, 316x239px) Image search: [Google]
1433968402391.jpg
17KB, 316x239px
>>3061107
Relax
>>
I thought it aged pretty good, I only played it for the first time a few years ago and loved it. I thought the game was hilarious in a holy shit this is so over the top type of way. I was in disbelief this game even managed to get released on the N64.

My only complaint with it was that it was relatively linear compared to other platformers like Banjo-Tooie or DK64.
>>
>>3061050
The controls for that level were absolute garbage and you know it.
>>
>>3060203
DK64 is the best game of the lot, collecting is fine as a major goal of a level. I love collecting.

Tired of this collectathons are bad because reasons meme. Sure if you don't like collectathons that's fine. Stop trying to act like there's some clear logic to it. What are adventure games except fetch-a-thons? What are RPGs except levelling up? You can't just dismiss all the quality of something like that, you don't like it that's fine.
>>
>>3061701
Nope. If you think about it, it was the progenitor to RE4 controls.
>>
>>3060137
Technically, it's impressive.
Jokes-wise, it depends on person. I found them varying from actually pretty funny to ok, but be aware of the huge amount of movie parodies for sake of being movie parodies, with Matrix being most notable one and adding nothing to it (and of course being old as fuck now - but at least it's short).

Gameplay wise, it's a clusterfuck. Sometimes it's good (the barn areas, Batula, etc.) and sometimes it fells awful (everyhing about aiming in the war chapters, all that swimming).

Design-wise, it is also a clusterfuck of good stuff and some of the stupidest and random decisions ever that will challenge you to end the game. If it came out today, it would probably get a very small fanbase and mixed-negative critic reviews for how poorly the game sometimes is stiched together.

Also great ending.
>>
>>3061015
screencap this and put it on /tv/ for a shitshow
>>
>>3060351
Matrix references totally don't age, guys.
>>
>no one answering me about lewd Conker art

It's already "tee hee, he said 'boob'" levels of maturity. Might as well go all the way.
>>
>>3060137
The vampire sequence is unbearably shitty to control, one of the huge benefits of the Live and reloaded version is the way better controls in those sections.

I played through both when they came out individually, and personally I really do prefer live and reloaded even with the word censorship.

The jokes are hit and miss, but the ones that hit really are funny, generally the first half of the game has jokes that mainly dissect the 3d platformer genre and will be very funny if you grew up with them, with the latter half focusing more on straight movie parodies from movies (generally 90's flix but also clockwork orange obviously). The movie jokes are a little weak but your millage may vary.

So I mean, yeah, check it out if those sort of jokes work for you, if you're a bit younger it might fall flat.
>>
>>3061773
Advanced autism: the post.
>>
>>3063148
Take your /v/ insults elsewhere.
>>
>>3060203
dat dk arcade bonus in dk64 tho
>>
>>3063195
Autistic flailing: the post.
>>
>>3063313
You would actually snap back at the OP OF THE THREAD?
>>
File: as;dflMN.jpg (11KB, 200x220px) Image search: [Google]
as;dflMN.jpg
11KB, 200x220px
>>
>>3061773

DK64 is the worst by far, you retard.
>>
>>3062759
Not him, but restructuring your sentences to say it's "dated" feels slightly more technically accurate than saying it "aged", in the most pedantic of ways possible.
>>
I still love this game, movie references included, but the original jokes like with Birdy and the "in my country I was a king" King Bee are yet funnier. Dug this and 1080 back out recently and had a blast with multiplayer in both.

Might try replaying the story over Easter to see how well it still holds up because it's been a while, but I found myself laughing like an idiot all over again through the multiplayer intro and ending cinematics. Looking forward to Spooky, such a great chapter. Only section of the game I never liked was the water parts, but at least there's the cog gay jokes to somewhat brighten spirits
>>
the jokes and gameplay were already shitty when it first came out.

I had it, and it was godawful. stay far away, OP
>>
The humor is similar to early South Park (Scatalogical, gore, swear words) and it's actually done very well, so if you like that style of comedy you'll probably catch yourself laughing quite a bit. Honestly a lot of the 'dated' jokes were already pretty dated when the game released, but the references are also surprisingly well done.

Gameplay-wise it's actually one of the best 3d platformers I've played. There's virtually no collecting outside of money which is a reward for certain tasks and serves as a means to advance the game. The game makes liberal use of context-dependent mechanics that were pretty revolutionary for the time period. Conker's journey actually becomes quite epic and makes use of many of Rare's developing strengths. Everything from platforming to 3rd person shooting controls tightly. Because the game just keeps shoving you into new areas with new gameplay mechanics to deal with it never gets old. It's possibly one of the most entertaining games out there for people who enjoy both the gameplay and humor.
>>
I've been playing it in the Rare Replay collection and I think it aged pretty well, but it might be my nostalgia glasses.

It has the N64 version on it, not Live & Reloaded.
>>
>>3066419
>It has the N64 version on it, not Live & Reloaded.
I always thought that was weird, they shouldve put the remake in there for comparison. I guess they just wanted to stick with the whole 30 gimmick
>>
>>3066471
>whole 30 gimmick
What do you mean?

I'm sure they used the N64 version because it's what most people liked and remembered best.
>>
File: 1435715823457.gif (2MB, 659x609px) Image search: [Google]
1435715823457.gif
2MB, 659x609px
>>3060137
>jokes it makes about stuff like The Matrix

You'll never understand people from the 90's...meaning you should kill yourself.
>>
>>3060147
>Conker's
>collectathon
pick one
>>
>>3066481
That they limited the number of games for the slogan "30 for $30". I'm not that guy so I can't say if it's actually the case.

The N64 original is better but my guess is they skipped the Xbox game so they wouldn't have to get its online mode working. That'd be a larger undertaking than everything else in the collection.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.