[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for oldfags: how did gamers view the "interactive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 13

File: 12 Braindead.gif (81KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
12 Braindead.gif
81KB, 640x400px
Question for oldfags: how did gamers view the "interactive FMV" games that seemed to be hot shit in the early 90s? I am only 24, so by the time I could actually follow games I was well into the PS1/N64 era which was a little after the FMV heyday. Did you guys think these were awesome at the time, decent, or shitty?

Might seem like a pointless question, but I like understanding how things were perceived in their own time period as opposed to decades later.
>>
I don't think most had access to them because a lot were relegated to CD devices. I don't think I ever saw a Dragons Lair machine either. Though yeah, it seemed awesome and I did want to play Dragons Lair.
>>
Reviewer-wise, it all depended on how much gameplay there was.
IIRC Braindead 13 got a 25% or something rating in the german magazine PC Games but the reviewer said that if you only judge the cartoon alone it'd be more around 80%.
Personally, I couldn't stand most of them with the exceptions being those that featured some decent integration of the FMVs into the gameplay like Creature Shock or games that had them only as cutscenes like Lost Eden.
>>
would a game like kings quest 7 be considered FMV?
>>
There was a brief period of time when they were popular in a faddish kind of way.

Sega CD marketing wasn't riding hard on FMV for no reason, that's what they thought gamers wanted. And it was true at one point but very quickly changed.
>>
>>3058693
>Might seem like a pointless question, but I like understanding how things were perceived in their own time period as opposed to decades later.
That puts you lightyears ahead of most of the other people who post here.

FMV games sucked... but we kept buying them, each time thinking it wouldn't suck THIS time.

The first one I can really remember was 7th Guest, because that was how the computer stores upsold everybody on CD-ROM drives. Walking around the mansion was pretty neat, but ultimately it was just a mediocre puzzle game.

Only a few FMV adventure games were any good, like Gabriel Knight: Beast Within and Black Dahlia.

Then there were the hybrid ones that just used FMV for cutscenes. Those weren't too bad, because there was gameplay. Tex Murphy, Wing Commander III+IV, Bad Mojo, Command and Conquer, stuff like that. See also the anime cutscenes on PC Engine CD games.

Overall, I'd say it was really exciting to see how fast the technology was improving in the early 90s, but the end result was usually disappointing.
>>
File: thumb-350-509718.jpg (46KB, 350x219px) Image search: [Google]
thumb-350-509718.jpg
46KB, 350x219px
>>3058693
>oldfag here

They were trendy and awesome at the time but are truly impossible to play nowadays.

I say impossible as in boring and not the least stimulating.
>>
They don't really use the term any more, but the mid 90s buzzword was 'multimedia'.

Basically the view that the future of content was a convergence of movies, music and gaming. FMV gaming was supposed to be the herald of this vision. It was seen for a while as a 'sure bet' and EVERYBODY bar Nintendo investedmin it. But it failed because of the focus on spectacle gimmicks instead of gameplay depth.

So it's basically like VR of today.
>>
At first there was some enthusiasm, but as more and more shit was published, it became a curse.

To this day, I feel contempt for games with a lot of scripted railsections or animations especially if they are interspersed with QTEs.

RE6 and recent Final Fantasy games come to mind as painful examples.
>>
I remember the 7th guest being hyped in vydia mags but I wasn't, actually I didn't play any of the FMV games. To me it was just a gimmick with no real gameplay so it never caught my interest.
>>
>>3058693

They were a fad. I was a kid at the time, and never played any of the systems. I thought they looked cool. But the fad soon died out and I forgot about it.
>>
File: trolldetect.gif (3MB, 300x252px) Image search: [Google]
trolldetect.gif
3MB, 300x252px
>>3058693
>2016
>op is 24
>was borned in 1992
You are liar, FMV games were around when you were a kid.
>>
>>3058892
Were you born with a joystick in your hands?
OP was born in 92, so probably didn't start gaming until 1997-2000. FMV games were basically dead by that point, especially on consoles.
>>
>>3058892
BTFO
B
T
F
O
>>
>>3058892
1) I was born in 91 actually.
2) As a very little kid, I don't even remember seeing someone with a Sega Saturn/CD/etc.... And the games I do remember, it's not like I could actually play them myself or know what was going on. If you have a young cousin or nephew try handing them your 3DS/iPhone/etc., they'll scream "I WAN PLAY GAEM" but they're too dumb to do shit other than stare at the screen. I was a little smarter than this, but still, until age 5-6 I couldn't really handle anything more sophisticated than a Game Boy title.
3) By "old enough to follow games", I mean that I was autonomous as a game player. Not quite sure how to describe it, but basically, there came a point where you stopped waiting for your mom to buy you crap out of the bargain bin and started actually giving a crap about what you were playing. And if you had internet, then you were probably becoming more aware of things outside of your own bubble of existence including games. That's all I meant.
>>
>>3058915
You didn't even do it right. It's

B T F O
T F O B
F O B T
O B T F
>>
>>3058693
Most people thought they were incredible because of the graphics. It was like magic to be able to show a cartoon on a screen or something. Everyone who actually cared about game play knew they were shit. But that wasn't a lot of people. Most people were faggots who cared more about eye candy. Like most people today.
>>
File: lost-eden_4[1].jpg (35KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
lost-eden_4[1].jpg
35KB, 640x400px
>>3058950
Interactive cartoon you mean.

>>3058693
I was a kid back then, and my first FMV game was Lost Eden by Cryo. Back in the days I thought it was amazing - almost every your action was accompanied by a prerendered 3D cutscene.
>>
>>3058693
They were pretty gimmicky and didn't have much of a following. Tiny userbase compared to the point and click adventure market. Mostly from novelty value I'd guess.
I used to like spycraft though..
>>
File: cyberia2_screenshot1.jpg (47KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
cyberia2_screenshot1.jpg
47KB, 640x400px
>>3058817
>Those weren't too bad, because there was gameplay
These were especially bad, because the cutscenes were fully disconnected from the gameplay, and contributed absolutely nothing. They turned, what could have been a good game, into a movie split up in pieces, with some unrelated game in between them. That approach to game dev still curses us in the form of the cinematic experience. Instead of combining the FMV and the gameplay to something new, it just takes a traditional game, a traditional movie, and fucks them both.

as for the gameplay, one genre that tends to be overlooked, although it grew strongly during the fmv period, is the rail shooter. Stuff like Cyberia had very little in terms of cutscenes, and instead very advanced looking rail shooter sections. The FMV did not gut its interactivity, and instead nicely integrated.
>>
>>3059036
>>3058693
Megarace was a game that integrated FMVs right into the core of its gaeplay - it was a racing game, where track itself was a prerendered 3D fmv - back then it looked absolutely stunning.
>>
>>3059054
Megarace 2 even more so. The branching tracks and polygonal car models really made you forget it's FMV to some degree
>>
>>3059036
>>3059054
You guys just reminded me of Star Wars Rebel Assault. That one was alright.
>>
>>3058693
My memories:
"Wow, this looks AMAZING"
"but not actually a proper game"
"god damn this acting is cheesy and terrible"
>>
>>3058693
Played quit some of them at that time. Really depended on game and if it was done well. Most were just way too animated with too few gameplay which i didn' liked at all, like overrated Dragons Lair. Those i didn't like at all. Just like new games putting "PUSH A NOW!!! PUSH B NOW!!!". Same boring shit.
Point and click adventures were way nicer with it, but also depended on the artstyle. So in all 50/50.. FMV was "OK", but nothing more.
>>
>>3059084
For the record, Dragon's Lair was about a decade early. The FMV craze started with the CD-ROM drive

>FMV was "OK", but nothing more
The moment you understand a modern cut-scene is just a realtime rendered FMV, it makes you look very differently at modern games.
>>
>>3058693
People liked it, but it wasn't as popular as normal arcade stuff. It was seen largely as a gimmick.
>>
I recall them mostly being a PC thing because disc systems were so niche until the Playstation. The issue with the early ones is basically the same issue you have with early media tech in that the early adopters don't have the skills to properly create for it. For example, a lot of early FMV games focus on a first person camera perspective without proper transitions. It took them a while to realize they needed to hire professionals to direct and shoot these things, and when to properly integrate them in to a game. By the time the playstation caught on, FMVs were relegated properly to cutscenes, intros, and endings, with a select few actually utilizing the technology to give the illusion of a panning camera with a fully rendered high detail background.
>>
>>3059139
>relegated properly
fuck you
>>
I hated Dragon's Lair because it bored me but my brother loved it.
I've never played any of the ones from the 90s except Time Gal, which sucked, unless you count Willy Beamish, which I don't.
>>
>>3059145
You seem upset.
>>
>>3059175
You seem retarded.
>>
It was discovered pretty quickly it was just a gimmick and the actual games were quite shitty. Not including the outrageous cost of the 3DO, why do you think systems like it and the sega CD were such flops. Majority of games on the platforms were watching a B movie with you occasionally hitting a button or just had poor gameplay.

Thankfully the industry picked up on this and just let it die. It really was a fad like motion controls in recent consoles. Thankfully that fad is dying too, though microsoft still insisted on including it in the xbone.
>>
>>3058892
>>3058920
This OP is like 13 years old probably.
>>
>>3059182
>microsoft still insisted on including it in the xbone.

That was mostly "please install this data feed in your living room so we can constantly farm your biometric data".
>>
>>3059182
>Sega CD
>flop

Let's hear only from people who were alive then please.
>>
the PS1 was pretty big on FMV, though I understand what you mean by pure FMV games, I can't think of many like that. At the time I remember most being pretty integrated with digitized graphics (Wing Commander 3 comes to mind) or being stuff I've only seen years after like the cdi (or 3do?) stuff like Only Plumbers.. or whatever it was.

For the PS1 the only pure FMV game I remember is Psychic Detective. It was 3 discs and had several endings. Ridiculous acting and stupid as fuck, but it was rated R and I loved playing it with my best friend when I was 12.

...There's been a game mentioned here in the past and I'd love it if someone could give me the name or point me in the direction of an ISO, it was an FMV game about being a club level stand up comedian, had some names of note in it from history.
>>
FMV games were routinely savaged in games magazines; I'm surprised at some of the positive comments in this thread. Yes, there were the occasional "this game is an interesting novelty" or "the animation is cool" or "for an FMV game, it's alright" reviews, but the term FMV game itself became synonymous with cheesy junk.
>>
>>3059329
have you played the games that got, in your eyes, surprisingly positive comments?
Things like Rebel Assault, Cyberia or Megarace (1 or 2)
>>
People really didnt like the shitty ones much, but there was a subset of people that enjoyed them.

There were some that were very well received, which is partly why they were so common.
>>
>>3059218
Is it "Don't Quit Your Day Job"?

pic related
>>
File: Princess Daphne 1.gif (896KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
Princess Daphne 1.gif
896KB, 500x382px
Dragon's Lair and subsequently Space Ace were a big fucking deal, and then there were quite a few additional games that also capitalized on that wave.

It was the creation of the laserdisc that kicked this off because it allowed near instantaneous switching of (analog) video scenes. This seems like nothing to us today but it was a major advancement at the time and the games that had the budget to have both good animators (Don Bluth) and good game designers were good games.

But then when CD Roms were invented along with shitty digital video formats there were tons of imitators of those original great 80s FMV games trying to just coast on the novelty of FMV despite early 90s digital video being piss-poor quality next to late 80s analog video. They attempted to add a few gimicky "game" features but the coffin was pretty much already nailed shut on "FMV games" even though Sega of America in particular didn't realize who the bell was tolling for.

Soon thereafter normal solid games beginning with JRPGs quite successfully began taking advantage of optical media to incorporate the "FMV cutscene" to great success.

We even to this day have regular returns to the core gameplay element of the classic FMV games in the form of QTE events and whether you love them or hate them you are now aware that they are homages to Dragon's Lair.
>>
File: Princess Daphne 2.gif (776KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
Princess Daphne 2.gif
776KB, 500x372px
>>3059401
>Soon thereafter normal solid games beginning with JRPGs quite successfully began taking advantage of optical media to incorporate the "FMV cutscene" to great success.
Wow that is one terrible sentence and I apologize for writing it. I got distracted twice.
>>
>>3058693
>I like understanding how things were perceived in their own time period as opposed to decades later.

But /vr/ is primarily comprised of threads of people disputing other people's accounts of their shared time period. PSX
>>
>>3059406
I will forgive you for butchering that sentece if you post equally gorgeous animated gifs of Kimberly from Space Ace
>>
>>3059406
>>3059401
>>3059193
>>3059139
>>3059089
>>3058901
>>3058818
>>3058693
The underage is real. FMV games started out trash. Only a handful of exceptions stood out for graphics a lone.
The most popular fmv console game was Sewer Shark and that game is horrible.

I blame that shit game as one of the main reasons the SEGA CD did so bad.
>>
File: dragons-lair.jpg (50KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
dragons-lair.jpg
50KB, 320x288px
>>3059401
If you have even casual interest in Dragon's Lair, you should definitely take a look at the GBC version. It's quite an achievement to cram so much full screen animation into that limited video mode and these tiny carts
>>
>>3058693
I'm 29 and I remember being interested in braindead 13 because I though the animation style looked cool.
But other than that FMV games were pretty much a non-existence. Kids played streetfighter and megaman and nobody owned a sega cd.
>>
>>3059415
>I blame that shit game as one of the main reasons the SEGA CD did so bad.

Listen kid, just because you watched an AVGN video doesn't mean you are suddenly an expert on things that happened before you were born.

FMV had a genuine amount of hype and popularity at first - doesn't matter if the gameplay was trash. It took a while for people to catch on anyway. Games like 7th Guest and Night Trap sold extremely well.
>>
>>3059440
Fuck off poser. You can't understand my disappointment with SEGA CD and that pile of shit being the main game SEGA wanted to push. That along with Tomcat alley were basically the "hot shit" of the system.
>>
>>3059445
You were just dumb for thinking FMV was all Sega CD had to offer. It was less than a quarter of the system's library.

And the system sold several million which wasn't bad at all for an ADD ON that cost twice as much as the fucking base console. It couldn't be called a success but neither a flop.
>>
>>3059445
so your whole "underage" accusation hinges on the bitter reality that mom bought you the wrong console? Should probably frustrate you to no end that outside of your precious mis-buy they were not that terrible. Nothing stellar, but no curse either.
>>
>>3058693
'86 here...the hardware that had those types of games weren't anything I wanted, so I never played any. Saw Dragon's Lair once and it was a cool novelty. I don't think I really understood the genre, every ad I saw in magazines I just glazed over. They were something apart, not really games to me.
>>
>>3059452
>You were just dumb for thinking FMV was all Sega CD had to offer. It was less than a quarter of the system's library.
Stop. You’re looking back at the SEGA CD with literal rose tainted glasses. You have all the shit games sorted for you now. You can look back and make hipster replies like “Man look at these games (usually sonic cd, tempo, and eco) man that SEGA CD was so underappreciated! Check my nerd cred”.

If you actually had that console you were greeted with dogshit from day one with shit like Sewer Shark.
>>3059453
I sold that shit heap. But seems you're projecting something.
>>
>>3059460
>But seems you're projecting something
I'm good. Had a computer with a CD-ROM drive, so I had all that sweet SVGA goodness and FMV games that were more than the press-to-play-next-video bullshit you moan about.
>>
>>3059463
Well I never experienced that. My point of view comes from consoles mainly when it comes to FMV. Maybe one or two arcades.

I wasn't into PC game stuff till the later 90s.
>>
>>3059467
that's fair. What's bullshit is claiming people are "underage", because their experience differs from yours, because they didn't make your bad decisions.
>>
>>3059470
SEGA CD seemed pretty awesome at time.

Many of the posts I linked were talking about that. Also most of the FMV hype was with consoles. Whole bs with Night Trap and the esrb was a SEGA CD. etc
>>
>>3059460
>If you actually had that console you were greeted with dogshit from day one with shit like Sewer Shark.
On Day 1 even Sewer Shark was novel and exciting.

The good thing about it being a pack-in was that it warned you off other FMV games so you could focus on the rest of the library.
>>
>>3059479
>so you could focus on the rest of the library.
Again you're looking at this rose tainted glasses.

Games like Sonic CD didn't come out for another YEAR after the launch.
>>
>If I disagree with you, I'll accuse you of being younger than me, which invalidates everything! I win!

For being so-called adults, it's these people who are behaving the most childish.
>>
>>3059482
>Games like Sonic CD didn't come out for another YEAR after the launch
So? I had Night Trap after Sewer Shark. Then I didn't have to wait too much longer for Final Fight, Ecco the Dolphin and Batman Returns.

It wasn't supposed to be a standalone system anyway - you had the regular Genesis to tide you over.

Sega CD was supposed to be the niche add-on with bonus games and special editions for young people with lots of disposable income like I was. I saw it as more like a Genesis Deluxe package than anything.
>>
>>3059482
why would you buy any system at launch?
>>
>>3059493
You're probably too young to understand :^)
>>
>>3059332
I did play Cyberia, and I'm not surprised that people like some of the games--I'm sure some of them have neat aspects and there are fans for everything. I meant posts like this one that implies the average consumer was snookered by them:
>>3058950

I think that's just flat wrong.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDQV2iXgZjQ
>>3059493
When you make ridiculous claims it's the only conclusion I can come to.

This was all the games available when SEGA CD came out for the first year. Keep in mind this is the early 90s and the games you'd know about would be the ones with the most money for ads in magazines.

Black Hole Assault
Chuck Rock
Cobra Command
Hook
Hot Hits
INXS: Make My Video
Kris Kross: Make My Video
Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch: Make My Video
Night Trap
Power Factory Featuring C+C Music Factory
Sewer Shark
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective Vol. II
Sol-Feace
Wonder Dog

Maybe you can see why people from that time period see FMV as horrible and SEGA CD as FMV machine.
>>3059496
And you continue to cherry pick and name games that came out years after the release.

>Sega CD was supposed to be the niche add-on with bonus games and special editions for young people with lots of disposable income like I was. I saw it as more like a Genesis Deluxe package than anything.
I assume you bought it years after release.
>>
>>3059507
>This was all the games available when SEGA CD came out for the first year

Look, I know how you are underage. You're going to the Wikipedia list for Sega CD games and filtering out all of those that were not listed in 1992.

The thing is that as anybody who actually lived through buying the console at the time knows, it was released towards the end of 1992 (I picked it up for Christmas 92 myself) and you had a whole bunch of games (Ecco the Dolphin, Final Fight, and Batman Returns) released in early 1993.

Not a single one was released "years after the release". Please go. Your game is up.
>>
>>3059507
>When you make ridiculous claims it's the only conclusion I can come to.
But that was my only post in this thread. Christ, I even agree with you to an extent. Lumping everyone who disagrees with you into a singular Other to bash is... well, like I said, childish.
>>
>>3059525
Oh please kid.
And if you really want to play that game. (you should since you're using wiki too)
Ecco the Dolphin 9 months after release
Final Fight 8 months
Batman Returns 7 months

The point your underageb& ass is skirting around and trying to strawman out is Sewer shark was the game of SEGA CD.
>>
>>3059532
Sorry man. This place has had me posting like this for awhile. It's just easier to say kid instead of attempting to have a conversion with someone making these kind of crazy statements.
>>
>>3059538
Whatever dude, most people would have been like me and got their Sega CD at Christmas.

I think Batman Returns came out in March 1993, so I would have waited what? Just over 2 months? And I already had Sewer Shark and Night Trap. With all my other Genesis games.

It felt pretty good to have exclusive software that regular Genesis owners weren't getting. Batman Returns looked fucking amazing then.
>>
File: Laser Phenomenon.jpg (28KB, 462x289px) Image search: [Google]
Laser Phenomenon.jpg
28KB, 462x289px
>>3059415
>>3059445
>FMV games started out as trash
>On Sega CD
>Underage
Okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhS_fQH1x8o
>>
>>3059545
That terrible console along with the 32x follow up is probably the main reason I skipped out buying a Saturn. Which is kind of good in retrospect since I can go back with cherry picked lists and explore the good games with no bias.
>>
>>3059547
We're talking about the FMV game craze of the 90s. Not the birth of FMV games in the 80s/
>>
>>3059548
>Which is kind of good in retrospect since I can go back with cherry picked lists and explore the good games with no bias.
I specifically went out of my way then to buy games from different genres. Notice how Sewer Shark was a shooter, Night Trap was a puzzle game, Ecco the Dolphin was an adventure game, Final Fight was a beat-em-up and Batman Returns was a racing game?

It's no fucking accident. By the way, since the Sega CD was primarily sold to gaming enthusiasts (willing to stump up the high price), they tended to be better informed than just your regular consumers and not just knows games only from advertising.
>>
>>3058693
>how did gamers view the "interactive FMV" games that seemed to be hot shit in the early 90s?

I hated them about as much as I hate quicktime event "gameplay" that pagues modern games. In both cases it seems like gimmicky bullshit taking the place of actual gameplay.
>>
File: giphy[1].gif (733KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
giphy[1].gif
733KB, 320x240px
>>3059414
I've got this. Kimberly is more part of the action with just occasional moments of her ass hanging out while Daphne's whole job was to wiggle around in an orb and narrate.
>>
>>3059561
Much appreciated. I love Kim's eyes, there's just something insanely sexy about them
>>
>>3059559
is there any game you hold up exceptionally high because of its complex gameplay? Not a baiting question. I agree with you on QTEs being a poor substitute and "easy way out". I'm genuinely wondering what games people know as example of particularly involved mechanics. Also, not talking about strategic complexity, like typical for TBS or some RPGs, I mean genuine complexity in interaction.
>>
>>3059551
Look, I acknowledge that you have first hand knowledge of Sega CD and I share your disappointment in that console it damn near turned me off video games completely but it's abundantly clear that you do NOT remember the FMV scene of the 80s and yet you are saying things like "FMV games started out as trash" and "The FMV craze of the 90s". There was no "FMV craze of the 90s" there were a lot of shit games being cheaply cranked out in the hopes of cashing in on the actual FMV craze of the 80s.
>>
>>3059575
what you call the FMV craze of the 80s was exclusive to arcade laserdisc games. What people call the FMV craze of the 90s was the introduction of a wide range of home video games using FMVs for cutscene or gameplay on computers and consoles, that started with the widespread availability of the CD-ROM.
>>
>>3059575
>There was no "FMV craze of the 90s

There was a bit, it was revived with the whole multimedia thing. But I do agree that the excitement was short lived compared to the 80s.
>>
>>3059558
>since the Sega CD was primarily sold to gaming enthusiasts
I disagree. There really isn’t anything that could be called truly great on that console. Maybe if you like Snatcher.
I didn't know about games like Popful Mail or Keio flying squadron till way after the SEGA CD was said and done. Holy shit if those games were pushed instead of Sewer Shark my little weeab ass would had been all over that in the 90s. And I had some really obscure games in the 90s. Pocky and Rocky among others. Not like I avoided it or wasn’t much in the known. Maybe someone mentioned it but I was already done with the SEGA CD.
>>
>>3059568
Dragon's Lair 2 is probably the most complex pure FMV game. Most of the segments are prodigiously long and you have to retrieve the (missable) equipment in the stages to be able to beat the final stage.
>>
>>3059568

I don't even care if it's complicated as long as it's fun. FMV/QTE are not only unfun but also gimmicky cop-outs which is just double bullshit.

I can play Robotron or Tempest all day long and those are both relatively simple.
>>
>>3059591
oh, I didn't just mean FMV games. We established they're a bit shallow in terms of gameplay. I meant games in general, what would be the polar opposite to FMV games, what would be a game so complex and involved in its interaction, it seems like a different world of gaming; to contrast with the gameplay of what you call "pure" FMV games.
>>
>>3059587
I also had a good friend at Electronics Boutique who made sure I didn't miss out on anything good. Personally, I thought having a couple of FMV games was more than enough for me.

I didn't get Keio since it wasn't released locally and wasn't into importing.
>>
>>3059585
Correct

>>3059583
>FMV craze of the 90s
>Finally we can play grainy approximations of these 10-year-old games without buying a $1,500 Laseractive!
>Oh wait maybe these games aren't so great but there are some new games too maybe we'll see Dana Plato's nips
>Nope
>>
>>3058693
Eh, I think it's where the "cinematic" cancer sort of started. Don't get me wrong, there were some good games that utilized it, Myst, Wing Commander 3 and 4, Privateer 2, Ripper and a few others, but there was always a bit of a "stigma" about it, thanks to gimmicky bullshit, or straight bullshit like "make your video" games or Bloodwings.
>>
>>3059596
>I can play Robotron or Tempest all day long and those are both relatively simple.
Unlike an FMV game, you control absolutely every motion of the player character. That alone requires more often input. Also, unlike an FMV, the required input is not predetermined, and neither are the resulting gamestates, which adds to the complexity. Don't downplay these games in comparison to FMVs, which are effectively obscured game state trees with triggers. Even if a game has a couple dozen such triggers, that's still less than a single level of Tempest.
>>
>>3059607
There still wasn't enough space on CDs for what "cinematic gameplay" means today. You needed to wait for 6th generation with DVDs,
>>
>>3059602
Wait, Keio was released locally. Guess I did miss out. Not sure why I didn't think it was.
>>
>>3059597
Basically Metal Gear Solid
>>
>>3059621
Yeah, but that's what I lot of people were reaching for. By the time DVDs were out, FMV as a legit choice was dead AND had that stigma.
>>
>>3059631
The cinematic and the gameplay were still separate though. Wasn't till 6th generation also that they stopped with prerendered cutscnes.
>>
>>3059612
>Tempest
>Not literally railroaded
>>
>>3059390
Fucking THANK YOU! Lets see if its total trash.
>>
The only one I played is Sewer Shark (SegaCD), and it kind of sucked.
Well I guess also Silpheed, but that's not real video footage, just pre-rendered. It was a nice game though.
>>
>>3059631
What's sad is that it's not even generally realized that a $15 Walmart DVD player is fully capable of arcade-perfect recreation of the true, great FMV games. Digital Leisure even licensed and produced a number of them but you never see one single mention of them.
>>
>>3058827

Haha wow "multimedia". It's been a long while since I even thought of that word. What a silly word. But yeah, it was everywhere then.

I was really impressed with Dragon's Lair when I first played it. It was a respectable game, albeit a shallow and sometimes frustrating one. As long as you hadn't already played others of the type.
>>
>>3058693
I think they were more novelties. Nobody I knew ever gave a shit about them. I don't think I've ever even actually played one, and I'm 30. We were too busy playing Super Metroid and Mega Man and Blaster Master and stuff. You know. REAL games.

I would have never liked these as a kid, even if I had come across one and played it, gameplay is virtually non-existent, and what is there is trial and error random bullshit. Why would you ever even think these were "hot shit"? The one one that anyone remembers is Dragon's Lair, and even that is mostly for the animation.
>>
>>3058991
>Interactive cartoon
Not really. It's just a cartoon that plays different parts depending on some input. It's like calling a book interactive because you flip pages.
>>
File: sk.png (74KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sk.png
74KB, 1600x1200px
>>3060056
>gameplay is virtually non-existent, and what is there is trial and error random bullshit
You're talking about a small subgenre of FMV games. Go play some Megarace, Cyberia, Rebel Assault, Chaos Control or even fucking Stonekeep and you will find a lot of gameplay, that keeps up very well with arcade or console games, and is no trial and error, at all. They also all looked spectacular, which is why people would think they are "hot shit". Dragon's Lair was over a decade old by the time that wave of FMV games came out. Nobody was interested in repeating that.
>>
>>3058827

>"Vive will undercut Rift, you'll see!"
>It's $800
>"Nobody ever said it would be cheaper"

>"VR is the next passing fad, it will be so funny when it flops"
>VR becomes dominant display method for games
>"Nobody ever said VR would fail"
>>
>>3060101
Hes' talking about FMV games. You're talking about something else.
>>
>>3060154
>Occlus becomes dominant display method for games

keep dreaming zuck
>>
>>3058693
I thought the interactive FMV games were terrible, but there were a couple games that intergrated FMV nicely.

I'm thinking of some adventure game I can't recall that came on like 45 floppy disks. Was pretty cool.

Wing commander also did it well.

I never played myst until it we were already past that shit.

Can't recall many others. I didn't have a CD drive until like '97.
>>
Gabriel Knight 2? Gabriel Knight 2.

>Those fucking werewolf deaths

In one of the Sierra interviews, they said that the company they order gore from actually ran out at one point.
>>
>>3060154
>VR has been a thing for decades
>it's still shit
>faggots still say it'll be the next thing
>said faggots have never actually tried the shit
>>
>>3060962
I am still interested to see the rift and to see them 'do it right'

VR has been a 'thing' but it's always been a curiosity by some hackaday tier or college masters tier faggot. Not really a good product.

And it's never had this sort of resolution.

It legit could be different this time as long as shit like Samsung and google don't poison the well with their phone vr bullshit
>>
>>3060530
Megarace 1 and 2 use an FMV loop for the track. The cars are just drawn on top of it.
Cyberia is a railshooter and puzzle game. The railshooting sections are FMV with enemy overlays, same with Rebel assault (which applies some neat little tricks to suggest more freedom than there is, by making the video larger than the screen, and scrolling it a bit) and Chaos Control. These are all FMV games in the purest sense.
Stonekeep is right on the edge. The dungeon movement is pieced together from hundreds of brief and modular FMVs, and the humanoid characters are green-screened overlays. However, the extreme modularity of the FMVs gives tons of freedom, the game plays like a classic dungeon crawler.

My point is, all these games were output from the FMV craze. They exist, in that form, precisely because of the ability of the CD-ROM to shit out tons of video, when 3D graphics couldn't keep up yet, they're FMV games. They're just not choose-your-own-adventure videos. Quite a few anons, including you, seem to completely equate FMV games with that little subgenre, giving them a terrible reputation. It's like saying the shooter genre sucks, because all you played is Noah's Ark
>>
>>3058817
This really sounds like how VR might turn out.
>>
>>3061004
I'd love to play like, Just Cause 4/5 on a rift. It'd be like a tropical vacation... but you can blow up a gas station and tie cows to your truck.

Without getting arrested.

Or just hang out on a tropical beach.
>>
>>3058693
Ok:

>parents got me a sega cd when it was new
>came with sewer shark!
>holy shit, it's like a movie AND a video game
>play it, and play it some more
>after awhile realize that when I hit buttons nothing really happens
>crash and die at same points over and over
>hear same dumbass dialogue over and over
>loses its novelty real quick
>ok, fuck this. Let's play genesis
>owner of local video store gives me an original copy of Night Trap (we were buddies and he used to rent crazy shit to me on the low like faces of death and show girls...I was like 11)
>holy shit, isn't this thing banned because of naked chicks and blood and killing!?
>can't figure it out for the life of me, eventually give up on naked chicks
>parents buy me stupid fighting shit called supreme warrior
>can't figure out how to do jack shit
>played it maybe 5 times ever

That was it for fmv and me. Knew it was complete shit ever since then. Still waiting to see those naked night trap chicks.
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.