[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Populous thread? Populous thread! In all seriousness though,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: Populous_cover.jpg (32KB, 256x312px) Image search: [Google]
Populous_cover.jpg
32KB, 256x312px
Populous thread? Populous thread!
In all seriousness though, this is one of those games I have never been able to figure out. First emulated it for SNES and later bought a loose cart for SNES on the cheap at a now defunct local store.Almost bought the DS version, just because I love the idea of the game, even if I can not understand how to play it. Anyone else a fan of Populous? Stories and whatnot are quite welcome.
>>
OP here, I might just not be able to play games by Bullfrog. I have yet to figure out how to get Syndicate to go from the item/mission/stats screen to the actual game as well. Dungeon Keeper as well. The lack of manuals probably was the cause, or my own stupidity. Syndicate Wars was pretty neat however.
>>
>>3054137
It's a fun game, I only recently figured it out, like last year. Haven't played it since though. Have owned it forever, you just are supposed to make things as favorable as possible for your people, and help them flourish as much as you can.
>>
I had both this and Populous 2 on the Atari ST as a kid. As much as I enjoyed the first game, 2 was so much better with the heavily expanded magic and champion systems.
>>
File: pop.jpg (36KB, 480x319px) Image search: [Google]
pop.jpg
36KB, 480x319px
>flatten your land to at least 2 levels higher than the sea
>population flourishes
>keep raising/flattening land around your people
>get shit tons of castles
>get mana
>use flood to raise sea level
>watch opponents people drown like cockroaches in a toilet bowl
>>
>>3054137
>console pleb
>can't even figure out such a simple game
stick to your mario brothers
>>
File: powermonger_14.png (12KB, 320x256px) Image search: [Google]
powermonger_14.png
12KB, 320x256px
I had a pirate copy for Amiga 500. It was really hard to figure out this game without instructions. I guess the idea was the create areas of flat land for your people to build on, to increase your population and influence, but I never really developed any strategies. The armageddon button sure was fun though.

Someone gave me a copy of PowerMonger and the same thing happened. Cool game, but I never really got into it very deeply. Allegedly there was a rumor floating around back in those days that if you let some villagers be, they would become sheep-shaggers. Maybe just an urban legend though.

Anyway I like these old games more than the stuff that came some years later (WarCraft, etc.)
>>
>>3054560

you have a massive e-penis
>>
>>3054137
I love populous too. GO to gamefaqs to learn the gameplay mechanics.
>>
I have it for the Megadrive and had the same problems as you OP. It seemed like it would be much better on a PC and the sound was just annoying, so I just notched it up as a bad port and gave up pretty quickly without making any real effort to understand the game.

Been meaning to try emulating the Amiga version some time, I assume it's considered the definitive version.

>>
>>3054949
see
>>3054560
>>
>>3054560
Yeah, yeah - call me what you will. I just try to enjoy everything. No point in sequestering myself in one gaming camp and missing out on things.
>>
>>3054973
But Mario Brothers isn't on the Megadrive.
>>
>>3054949
use fs-uae to emulate the amiga version, it's the best amiga emulator out there. torrent an amiga kickstart rom pack and you will be all set. I play most early 90's games on amiga emulator as they are usually better than the pc version.
>>
This is one game I wish someone would remake with the convenience of modern controls
>>
>>3054482
Is the GEN version of populous the best of the console ports?

I think the SNES one was developed by a Japanese company.

So was the PCE version.

But it seems like the GEN version was ported by Bull Frog themselves. Also, the GEN typically had some pretty good Amiga/PC ports.
>>
>>3058013
They did. The DS version taught me what this game is all about, and has a beautiful pace. Only then I went back to the original game and finally understood what was going on.
>>
The PC port let you do multiplayer hotseat by linking two PCs via a serial cable.
>>
>>3058508
>hotseat by linking
yeah, no
>>
>>3058510
It also supported modem-to-modem play which was highly unusual for the time.
>>
>>3058508
>>3058513
I'm pretty sure the Amiga and Mac versions support this as well.
>>
>>3058515
Yes; in fact it doesn't have to be the same platform either; you can link a PC to an Amiga and do head-to-head play.
>>
Wow, surprised my thread is still alive.

>>3058467
I might have to buy the DS version. The game looks quite enjoyable honestly, I just need to be able to play it, I suspect.
>>
Is the pce cd version the best one? It has bomberman characters in it
>>
I like Utopia.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.