[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any anons here living in Japan? I'm looking for a couple

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

File: flag.png (3KB, 255x170px) Image search: [Google]
flag.png
3KB, 255x170px
Any anons here living in Japan? I'm looking for a couple of region-exclusive retro games that aren't for sale on the internet.
>>
I live in Tokyo.
>>
File: roly.png (113KB, 448x320px) Image search: [Google]
roly.png
113KB, 448x320px
>>3051248
Great!

These are the games I'm looking for. They are “ローリーポーリーズの七転び八起き” and "バナバナ1号" for the PC/Mac. I've spent nearly 3 years looking for them, and since then I've only found people who won't sell their copies.
>>
PC games, eh? This might be a little tough. ok, I'll probably go to akihabara today after work. I can look for you.
>>
>>3051282
Sounds like a good plan. I think people in Japan have described seeing them in used book stores, if that helps any.
>>
>>3051273
Hey, hate to interupt this whole thing... But what even are these games?
>>
>>3051525
They are edutainment adventure games, and from what I can gather, they're of the point-and-click variety.
>>
Are they fun? Why are you looking to collect these? Are they rare? Tell us about them and what they mean to you.
>>
>>3051289
Yeah, they might have them at book off. Not gonna be an easy find even in Akiba I imagine. Anyway I'll look for you today.
More than likely they'll probably be found somewhere like at the Yokohama Hard off I imagine. If I find them at a later point down the line I'll make a new thread for you.
>>
>>3051681
Thanks, man. I really appreciate it.

>>3051680
These games appeal to me because the creator directed a handful of bizarre games in the 90s. I tend to prefer obscure, surreal media over more mainstream stuff these days.
>>
if only there was some way to download digital binary copies of games and reproduce their respective player hardware on modern personal computers FUCK
>>
File: amazon,co,jp.jpg (133KB, 1484x824px) Image search: [Google]
amazon,co,jp.jpg
133KB, 1484x824px
amazon、co、jp
The shipping charge is high.
>>
Bump. I'd like to see where this goes.
>>
>>3051273
Oh man is this some osamu sato?
>>
>>3053735
That's what it says on the boxes.
>>
How much can you get a PC-Engine Super CD ROm 2 in glorious Nippon?
>>
>>3051242
Don't live there but go there on a regular basis. I'll keep an eye out for them. I guess it going to be one of these things you either find for ¥50 in some second hand shop or ¥>9000 in Akihabara

>>3051707
>i never looked for downloads of japanese games because i only speak american
top kek kid
>>
I don't know how long this thread will be active, so for the anons who are trying to help me out, would you be interested in reporting potential finds through social media like Twitter? I've got an account set up just in case.
>>
Is some brave soul living in Glorious Nippon going to get us filthy gaijin some cheap nippon games?
>>
>>3054382
STOP USING OTHERS FOR YOUR GAMING ADDICTIONS
>>
OP here again. I really do appreciate that you guys are willing to take time out of your busy schedules to help me find my "holy grails," but after thinking about it some, it would probably be a better idea for me to embark on this journey myself. I'd hate to eat up all the free time you have after getting off of work, and even if there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, I'm not sure how I'd handle the shipping costs and whatnot. Still, thanks for what you've done.
>>
>>3055350
Don't worry. I'm not going to waste any free time on it. I'll just put it on my list of things to keep an eye out for. One of these days I'll find it on a dusty shelf for a buck. Then I'll throw it up on ebay.
>>
>>3055350
As someone who has lived in Japan a long time and knows Akihabara very well, keep in mind that games like the ones you're looking for aren't just sitting on a store shelf somewhere. They're extremely hard to come by even if you live here.

Your best option is to open accounts at Surugaya and Yahoo Auctions, put those games on your watchlist, and wait until they show up.
>>
>>3051681
>>3051704
You two should friend each other or Steam or some other social platform in case the guy that's looking in Japan finds these games but the guy that wants them doesn't see the thread.
>>
>>3056192
I suggested Twitter, but nobody's agreed to that yet. Speaking of, you know there's a problem when even Japanese users can't find this software. The fact that even a series of images exists online is surprising to them.
>>
Man, I'm pissed. After some digging, it looks like people on Twitter have both games, but I've only been told "no" when asking if they're for sale. Fuck!
>>
File: 231256701.jpg (110KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
231256701.jpg
110KB, 400x400px
Serious question: What's the big deal about Osamu Sato? I'm all for software preservation and everything, but I have a hard time getting worked up about this stuff.

That being said, if OP does find the games, please please dump it for redump and/or upload to the Internet Archive so other people can have access to it for critical study and enjoyment.
>>
>>3056371
It's the art style and bizarre direction more than anything. Like nobody would give a shit otherwise. But let me tell you, when you've spent 3 years looking for virtually unkown games, only to find owners who won't do anything with their copies, it truly is rage-inducing.
>>
I hope you find them somehow OP
>>
An addendum to >>3056356 , a fairly popular chiptune producer in Hokkaido owns the first one, the second is in the hands of some other person whose location isn't disclosed. They're definitely out there.
>>
>>3056371
His work is extremely experimental and really unique, especially when most other games at the time would be to scared to do. I can't say I have much experience with his games but I believe they are quite narrative driven so I imagine the bizarre stories appeal to some.
>>
I live in Tokyo for a year now. Been to Akihabara countless time, even to retro stores.

Jelly? Also bump for OP's efforts.
>>
>>3058635
>Jelly?
I can't say that I am. I don't know what I'd do in Japan outside of scanning every square inch of their secondhand stores.

Footage from one of the games finally surfaced online yesterday thanks to someone I contacted on Twitter. I now have a better idea of what to expect if more copies are unearthed.
>>
>>3058712
>I don't know what I'd do in Japan outside of scanning every square inch of their secondhand stores.
Heh, that's basically what I did for the first 10 years.
>>
>>3058635
>tfw you're just now getting into collecting wonderswan games and nobody sells that shit in the states
life is suffering, anons
>>
>>3058635
Not the slightest bit jelly that you're a noob who frequents overpriced tourist traps.
>>
>>3051242
You're 2 channels off m8
>>
>>3058792
Don't worry, I also went to Nakano Broadway.

And generally I wouldn't say stores in Akihabara are tourist traps. They just have tourist trap shelves. Somewhere near the entrance a well visible shelf with stuff foreigners are likely to buy. Otherwise prices wary and don't have to be overpriced at all. For example in Mandarake I found some used PS1/Dreamcast games is excellent condition much cheaper than people on JP Amazon ask.
>>
>>3058806
I'd be more inclined to post on 2chan if proxies weren't an issue.
>>
>>3059209
Well they need some way to keep the gaijin out
>>
>>3059007
>cheaper than people on JP Amazon ask
You're rightfully proud of such a great accomplishment. kek
>>
>>3059007
Not overpriced but if you compare Tokyo prices with stuff from the countryside, though...
Many NES and SNES games I bought in places like Kanazawa or Sendai were 2x or 3x less than in Tokyo SuperPotato or whatever Tokyo Book-Off.
>>
I'm in central Japan, I'll keep an eye out around Nagoya and Gifu
>>
Hey guys living in japan, just curious but do any of you happen to know the going rate for a Neo Geo Pocket Color? It doesn't have to be boxed but it would be nice.

Canadafag here seeing them for about $90CAN at most places, but eventually I'm gonna visit japan and just wondering if I might as well bite the bullet and pay canadian or wait it out because there's better variety and cheaper games over there.
>>
>>3061245
That's one of those things that one really has to find "in the wild" to get a good deal. Super Potato almost always has a couple in stock but their prices are usually totally fucking ridiculous, at least compared to what I'm used to spending on retro stuff here. If you really want it though I think all the big cities have a chain. I've been to the Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya stores and the prices are all pretty high, perhaps with Nagoya being most reasonable. On the other hand, sometimes they'll pop up at local Hard-Offs or similar resale shops for less than 50 bucks US. Total crapshoot.

There's also Yahoo Auctions but in my experience it's a horrible place. Classic Jap 90's Geocities-tier web design and tons of idiots who think their ancient stuff is still worth 90% of MSRP. Ugh.
>>
>>3060234
>Many NES and SNES games I bought in places like Kanazawa or Sendai were 2x or 3x less than in Tokyo SuperPotato or whatever Tokyo Book-Off.

Damn seriously? I live in Sendai, need to check out some bookoffs i guess
>>
For those of you who agreed to help me find the software, you can tweet me @obscurityHUNTER if you have any progress updates. Be sure to include a photo of the game(s) in your post if you come across it.
>>
bump. i want these games
>>
>>3055858
>then I'll throw it up on ebay
You piece of shit.
>>
>>3051273
Didn't someone who has one of the Roly Poly games pop up on Vine the other day?
>>
>>3063669
Yes, but the owner has stated that they will not sell the game or rip the data for legal reasons. The same goes for another person who owns the sequel.
>>
>>3051575
the graphics look like something from osamu sato games
>>
Super potato. Best shop ever.
>>
>>3063651
You sound triggered.
>>
>>3063823
It's an overpriced shithole. The arcade on the top floor is kinda neat but the game prices not so much.
>>
>>3063997
He was either trolling poorly or parroting someone on youtube. Either way replying is a waste of electrons.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.