[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Probably a different sort of thread than usual here, but I figure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: nintendo1-932x466.jpg (124KB, 932x466px) Image search: [Google]
nintendo1-932x466.jpg
124KB, 932x466px
Probably a different sort of thread than usual here, but I figure there's no better place to ask. To cut to the chase - me and a friend have a story set in 1986, and I want to know what sorts of games/consoles are popular or out around that time.

I already know about the NES, the MSX and arcades, but I'm digging around to find more stuff, flesh out the world a lot more.
>>
If you're including something like the MSX, your story is already extremely obscure and probably hipster.Or maybe it's a story about some social reject/rich kid.

Are you like 15 and just looking at wiki shit?
>>
Where is your story going to take place?
>>
>>3050236
Take out the MSX and replace it with a SMS
>>
>>3050241
The character who owns the MSX is Japanese. It's something she got from her dad. She is a rich kid hipster so what you're saying is valid anyway.

>>3050242
West coast of America. Location is in flux but it'll likely be west coast.
>>
>>3050236
Why are you writing a story in a setting you're unfamiliar with?
>>
>>3050312
I am not massively unfamiliar with the 80s, just the video games. First console was a Genesis and honestly most fond memories of games come from around the 90s and later.
>>
>>3050323
So why pick the 80's as your setting?
>>
>>3050304
>>3050323
Good luck man. I don't know how serious you are but you got hours of research just for MSX if you want you and your story to come off as credible.

God help you if you try to force google jap slang in.
>>
>>3050331
Because it's cool, really. Initially it was chosen because of the music we liked and wanted to mention, and since we're sticking with it, I'm working with what I'm given.

>>3050339
What's most frustrating is a lack of an exact date to the story, that and finding resources with more exact dates for games. That and the fact a lot of the good stuff comes after '86, so I'm trying my best to dig up what I can.
>>
>>3050351
>not setting an exact date for your story
might as well just set it in an alternate universe
>>
>>3050351
>Because it's cool, really.

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>3050359
Like I said, it's a collaborative thing, and the year is completely defined. We're talking at least set in the later half of '86, around August? It's just still really up in the air because this is the third time we've made a revision. Books are hard.

>>3050363
I mean, I can't give much more explanation than that. It could work in present day but I guess we're more interested and sort of fascinated by the 80s and the culture and media made in that time? I could probably ramble about how as time goes on with more and more forms of media actually memorable things are hard to come by. Either way, we felt it made a better backdrop to the story.
>>
>>3050385
>we're more interested and sort of fascinated by the 80s and the culture and media made in that time?

My reaction was kneejerk, I admit. And it's not like people idealizing and being fascinated by the time just before theirs is anything new, but it's hard not to find it really lame. Good luck, but you have your work cut out for you.
>>
>I want to write a book about x, but I don't know anything about x
>please spoonfeed me just enough information to give my period piece a little bit of credibility without me having to do any actual research or know what I'm talking about

If you are any older than 18, I feel terrible on your behalf.
>>
>>3052921
In fairness, he's researching right now by asking us. /vr/ has an older userbase on average, and we're generally willing to talk about the good old days.

The major problem with it is that most of us seem to be 30-35 and wouldn't remember 1986 anyhow.

Ask this board about stuff that happened in 1991-1999 though? Get drowned in recollection.
>>
>>3052949
>/vr/ has an older userbase on average
Haven't seen this place lately have you?

Just look at that dumbass thread with the news meme that is still up/
>>
>>3050304
>hipster
>1986
No such thing. Now if you want a character who's into more old time stuff, I think it would make more sense if she was into 50s nostalgia or something, like she's got Buddy Holly crap all over her room or something. Or if you insist she's rich and into video games, perhaps she would have a couple arcade cabinets in the basement, like a Pac-man and Donkey Kong one.
>>
>>3053067
There were those kinds of people, they just weren't called hipsters. That word has taken on a very different meaning than it used to have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w8z0CN3Y-E
>>
>>3052953
The guy who made that is probably older than you, champ. Not everyone takes this place as seriously as you.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.