[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anybody have a reputable source of good quality RGB Sca

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

File: medscalegc%20scart[1].jpg (15KB, 470x400px) Image search: [Google]
medscalegc%20scart[1].jpg
15KB, 470x400px
Does anybody have a reputable source of good quality RGB Scart cables for retro consoles? Looking for a new source since http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories doesn't seem to be doing it anymore other than a few special requests. I don't trust these random chinese sellers
>>
Wait for restock.

Or make your own.
>>
aliexpress
>>
>>3049563
>doesn't seem to be doing it anymore other than a few special requests.
She takes the store down from time to time; I doubt that she's taken it down permanently.

Alternatively, if you're impatient: http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/
>>
>>3049586
I've bought from them, good cables.
>>
Wait for her. Yeah, she takes breaks, since I don't think this is her only job. The cables are great, affordable.
>>
>>3049857
>>3049586
Are you guys sure is a girl?
I always tough is a guy on hormones!
>>
>>3050353
Are we being raided?
>>
>>3049570
>>3049586
>>3049857
Ah, okay. I only got into RGB stuff in the past couple months so I wasn't aware they take breaks from time to time. I don't have an urgent need, I was just looking to price things out for the future. I'll be patient, but other options are still appreciated (preferably not from the UK). I really don't want to support those cheapo Chinese resellers
>>
File: av stecker belegt.jpg (127KB, 1000x628px) Image search: [Google]
av stecker belegt.jpg
127KB, 1000x628px
>>3049563
Just make your own. Most cables on the market only have a group shield ore no shield at all.
The air is full of Wifi, GSM, Bluetooth and other crap that will fuck up your RGB signal if you don't use a proper cable.
What you want are individually shielded color channels + a group shield.

I made one for SNES and one for NGC, pic related.
I just bought a beefy SCART cable and soldered the nintendo AV plug + necessary R's and C's onto it. Got the AV plugs off shit ass chink ebay cables (which in fact did not have shiedling at all)
>>
>>3050423
This not a bad idea, but unless you have the proprietary connector, it's not really any cheaper to buy it.
I rolled my own rgb on my PC Engine and after buying the cable and all the ends I only saved a little.
>>
>>3050573
The thing is there are no proper cables to buy. There are really good SCART <-> SCART cables out there but as soon as there is a console connector at the end they use shit quality cable.
That was the reason for me to make my own. I am a little paranoid with this, since I have a lot of bad experience with cheap analog cables in general.
(Ok you can buy proper Nintendo ones for NGC for 60€ used.)
>>
>>3050423
>The air is full of Wifi, GSM, Bluetooth and other crap that will fuck up your RGB signal if you don't use a proper cable.

These are on a totally different frequency and won't really affect video signals (to a perceptible amount anyway).

However the individual video and audio cables inside the signal WILL have crosstalk. The most common problem is audio getting shit load of noise when the screen goes white: the RGB signals bleed into the audio channels.

I found that shielding the RGB channels themselves isn't really necessary (as long as the entire cable has a shield and a ferrite choke), but the audio channels buzz like a motherfucker so those will benefit greatly from being shielded.

The SCART standard recommends individual shieldings for R, G, B, composite, and the two audio channels, by the way. As in rgb and composite get one shield for each cable, while the two audio channels share a common shield.

If you want to go massive overkill on the shielding, use a coax cable for each signal!
>>
>>3050423
>lol just make your own
This is not cost effective for someone who does not already have the tools or knowledge. Especially if they're only going to buy a few cables. And especially if you're suggesting that someone buy the "shit ass chink cables" as a source of parts. Why not just buy the better cable in the first place?

>>3050375
There's another supplier on ebay called "Wookieewin" or something to that effect. I bought a cable from them once, it was pretty great, no internal interference at all.
>>
>>3050709
>This is not cost effective for someone who does not already have the tools or knowledge
What if you bought a cheap cable for the connectors, and then got some decent (but not ridiculously overpriced) shielded wire?

The shielded snes cable on retrogamingcables is £35
>>
>>3050726
Assuming you can hack the connector easily, yes.
I have dealt with a lot of connectors that were made of two easy to hack halves.....that were heat bonded together, encasing all the pins and wires in plastic.
>>
>>3050756
Yeah. It would be neat if you could just buy the connectors.. I read that some connectors (the proprietary part) on some of the cheap composite cables aren't fully populated either..
>>
>>3050709
>This is not cost effective for someone who does not already have the tools or knowledge. Especially if they're only going to buy a few cables. And especially if you're suggesting that someone buy the "shit ass chink cables" as a source of parts. Why not just buy the better cable in the first place?

Better cables are not always available and not for every console. Also, most people joining the retro bandwagon just think that RGB = super shiny pixels, and buy the $5 cables from play-asia because they see the $50 cable and think that it is the equivalent of monster cable Steve Hoffman vacuum tube audiophile scam.

And for that reason, it isn't even economically viable to build high quality cables in larger quantities. This makes them cost even more, and cause occasional gaps in the supply when a batch is sold out.
>>
>>3050423
>Just make your own
Just remember that SCART doesn't use plain wires, but mini-coax for nearly everything.
>>
>>3050709
Naturally someone who needs to be taught how to solder and aged enough to play with hot things should just get their mom to buy the expensive one.
>>
>>3050781
>most people joining the retro bandwagon just think that RGB = super shiny pixels, and buy the $5 cables from play-asia
Well, then they're idiots and they probably wouldn't fucking notice the difference in quality anyway.

>>3051253
I spent the time modding my N64 and NES for RGB myself because those were mods that were actually worth it, considering what pre-modded systems cost. Buying materials and spending the time to make a few cables does not beat the convenience of just paying 20-30 bucks a piece and having them waiting for me when I get home from work. Time is more of a commodity for me than money, junior. I don't pay a Guatemalan to mow my lawn because I don't know how to work a lawnmower.

I like how you fuckers who are into soldering think it's cool to brag about it like it's actually hard or something. The shit is easy as fuck to do, but if you just want some cables to play your goddamn games, It's not worth it to go buy the materials and a soldering iron, JUST for that one purpose.
>>
>>3052453
Agree 100%. If it takes you any significant amount of time to make a cable you have no business doing it. Sorry to hear you don't know how to work a lawnmower either.
>>
>>3052470
Oop, ya got me.
>>
File: snes rgb.jpg (178KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
snes rgb.jpg
178KB, 1000x563px
Pic: my custom SNES RGB Cable on my 42" Viera.
>>3050573
>it's not really any cheaper to buy it.
High Quality RGB cables are just not available for all systems. You cannot buy them for most.
Material cost for my cable is around 10€/$ which is fine for a high quality cable.

>>3050693
>The SCART standard recommends individual shieldings for R, G, B, composite, and the two audio channels, by the way. As in rgb and composite get one shield for each cable, while the two audio channels share a common shield.
This is what makes a good cable! But unfortunately such cables are not on the market for retro consoles.

>>3050709
>buy the "shit ass chink cables" as a source of parts. Why not just buy the better cable in the first place?
As said before, total material cost about 10€/$

>>3050726
>What if you bought a cheap cable for the connectors, and then got some decent (but not ridiculously overpriced) shielded wire?
Bare cables are always expensive. Buy a proper Scart <-> Scart connector and chop off one plug. This is a lot cheaper than buying bare cables and plugs.

>>3050825
>Just remember that SCART doesn't use plain wires, but mini-coax for nearly everything.
This is what I ment by "individually shielded color channels"
>>
>>3052730
Where do you buy your materials? Mostly the wires. I have no idea where to start. I also need to buy a soldering iron. I learned how years ago, but never bought my own because I never needed it until now.

Seems like it might just be easier to buy a cable, actually.
>>
File: snespal.png (3KB, 527x281px) Image search: [Google]
snespal.png
3KB, 527x281px
>>3052780
If you don't have soldering skills I would not do it. Messing with those plugs can be a little tricky.
Anyways, I used Goobay cables for mine. They are cheap, have 10mm O and all the necessary shielding. E.g. this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goobay-2m-Scartkabel-in-schwarz-einzeln-geschirmt-10mm-dick-Scart-Kabel-/200942392188

You will then need a connector for you Console. For Nintendo use this for example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160-cm-AV-TV-RCA-Video-Cord-Cable-For-Game-cube-SNES-GameCube-Nintendo-N64-64-LO-/161767181871
Chop off the cable and carefully open the connector with a saw to access the soldering pins. These after market ones are actually better because they have probper solder pins and none of this crimped stuff like original nintendo cables.

Depending on the cable type you will need some additional caps and/or resistors. Pic related: circuit for PAL SNES.
>>
File: nintendo av stecker.jpg (138KB, 1000x636px) Image search: [Google]
nintendo av stecker.jpg
138KB, 1000x636px
>>3052816
will dump few pics.
1/3
sawed open nintendo av plugs
>>
File: scart stecker snes.jpg (145KB, 1000x737px) Image search: [Google]
scart stecker snes.jpg
145KB, 1000x737px
>>3052826
will dump few pics.
2/3
resistors in SNES cable
>>
File: billigkabel.jpg (134KB, 1000x682px) Image search: [Google]
billigkabel.jpg
134KB, 1000x682px
>>3052834
will dump few pics.
3/3
This is an example for a cheap after market console cable you will find on the market.
No shielding at all => completely useless.
>>
>>3052826
>>3052834
>>3052841
Why are you messing with PAL?

Also those aren't individually shielded. Maybe I can't read and that's what you're pointing out?
>>
File: kabel.jpg (103KB, 1000x672px) Image search: [Google]
kabel.jpg
103KB, 1000x672px
>>3052863
Because I only have PAL consoles since I live in a PAL country.
>Also those aren't individually shielded.
They are, you propably cannot see it because the outter shields of the channels are drilled and heat shrunken.
>>
>>3052876
That's a much better picture. I can see now.

You living in a PAL country means you have access to surplus high quality scart cables to chop up. In America our best bet is usually getting scart connectors from EUland and then chopping a VGA cable up. The good ones are individually shielded.

I'm in the process of switching from SCART cables to JP21. I'm just going to buy the Micomsoft ones. They seems to be extremely high quality from what I've seen. And it's for my Selecty 21 and XRGB 3 anyway. Only con is they only have Nintendo plugs, Saturn, and PS1 atm. All NTSC only.

Was using a scart to jp21 converter cable on the XRGB 3 for years but now with the Selecty 21 I'm just sticking with JP21.
>>
>>3052841
I don't even have to crack open the cable I bought on RGC to know it's unshielded, the buzzing is unbearable. Are there any good ways to shield cables? I'm pretty ignorant on all of this stuff and I'm not that good with hands.
>>
>>3052826
Is that the cable from the auction you listed? Is opening the plug easy? What tool did you use?

>>3052876
PAL consoles are still cancer tho.
>>
>>3052961
Not him but opening those SNES plugs are a bitch. You need to push the tabs in then pull them apart. They often break.

Some use glue or are filled with glue. Those you can forget about.
>>
>>3052961
That's some hot opinion you got there, now git.
>>
>>3052982
Yeah, really fucking hot. 50 hz flicker and slowed down games and absolutely no benefits (except local availability) is just so damn appealing.
>>
>>3052982
>>3052876
Do you live in Europe by chance PAL buddy?

How uncommon is a game like the PAL version of Keio Flying Squadron 2?
>>
I'm looking for a Playstation SCART cable. Should I get one that uses sync on luma?
>>
>>3052986
>50 hz flicker

No idea of what you're talking about.

>>3052986
>slowed down games

That's why you get that cool SuperCIC mod as soon as you can.
>>
>>3052994
Yes
>>
>>3052995
>No idea of what you're talking about.
Smells like under-age.

>That's why you get that cool SuperCIC
Epic compatibility bro.
>>
>>3052995
CRT flicker.
>>
>>3052961
>Is that the cable from the auction you listed? Is opening the plug easy? What tool did you use?
It is not the same cable from the auction but I think there is not much of a difference.
First I filed a grove on the connector to give the saw some hold. Then carefully sawed around the connector until I could pop it open with a screwdriver. Used a regular hacksaw for iron (they have very fine blades).
The plug I had was two halves glued together.

>>3052986
>Yeah, really fucking hot. 50 hz flicker
wut?
Daily reminder that blockbuster cinema movies run with 24Hz.
I just don't care enough.
BTW most of PAL NGC games have a 60Hz mode.
>>
>>3053001
My set of PAL CRTs don't flicker at all, sorry to ruin your own makebeliefs.

>>3053000
>cancer
>epic

Please get out of my sight.
>>
>>3052990
>Do you live in Europe by chance PAL buddy?
Bavaria.

>How uncommon is a game like the PAL version of Keio Flying Squadron 2?
Never heard of that.
>>
>>3053014
>My set of PAL CRTs don't flicker at all
Either they're magic, or they're shitty 100 hz sets.

>>3053014
>Please get out of my sight.
I refuse.
>>
>>3053014
>Using a 100Hz CRT
Might as well just use a modern TV.
>>
>>3053046
>>3053047
They're all 50/60Hz sets. They just don't flicker because they don't. I don't know where you got the idea that 50Hz flickered. I only noticed any kind "flickering" while trying 50Hz on my VGA monitors. SD CRTs on the other hand are flicker free.
>>
>>3053051
Well, then you must be blind.
>>
>>3053051
Combination of poor sight and bad CRTs with unacceptably long persistence.
>>
>>3053053
Or maybe I'm not and you need to try 50Hz sets before judging. I read stuff like 50Hz behaving oddly on native 60Hz CRTs because of power incompatibilities.
>>
>>3053058
>unacceptably long persistence

If that's what I think it means then it's not unacceptably long by any means. There's no ghosting or anything like that you could perceive. It just doesn't flicker, the end.
>>
>>3053061
60hz sets flicker too, you know..
>>
>>3053071
Every CRT I have used had at least some barely visible ghosting, yet I can clearly perceive some flickering up to 85Hz where I have to try hard to see it.
>>
You guys do know that a lot of people can't see the flicker of a 60hz CRT right? It may just bother them because it'll give them a headache. Much the same thing happens today with LCDs that have a strobe backlight.

50hz is eye bleed though.
>>
>>3052903
>I'm just going to buy the Micomsoft ones. They seems to be extremely high quality from what I've seen.

I've heard this quite a few times before, but where the hell can you buy Micomsoft original JP21 cables? I've never seen them for sale, they sold out all of them back in the 90s/easly 00s.
>>
>>3052986
>50 hz flicker and slowed down games and absolutely no benefits

Most can be easily modded to 60Hz and some NTSC consoles don't even output RGB properly (or they have some small problem like not having a +9V output for the auto switch).

>>3052990
>How uncommon is a game like the PAL version of Keio Flying Squadron 2?

Not uncommon on, say, ebay, but it's also one of the most expensive PAL Saturn games. Also note that PAL Saturn games come with the worst imaginable case, so it is not easy to find some games in good quality.

Keio 2 is one of the most expensive collectors items though, so chances are that people take care of them better than the 2€ shit like Sega Rally.
>>
>>3053108
>50hz is eye bleed though.
Yuropoors thinking that 50hz is acceptable is kind of like how people from India think that having "designated poop streets" is acceptable.
>>
>>3053131
We think 50hz was acceptable because PAL had significantly better colour, slightly higher resolution, and it allowed for movies to be played as-is (with an imperceptible speedup) without telecining them to all shit.

We also had PAL60 which had best colour but 60hz, and we also had RGB universal in the continent while in the USA even s-video was rare (in fact many sets only had RF and nothing else).
>>
>>3053137
Brazil master race? PAL colour with 60Hz.
Is the judder that bad? I thought the 2:3 interlacing did a good job of hiding it.
>>
>>3053663
>Brazil master race

That is an oxymoron.
>>
File: lupin.gif (558KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
lupin.gif
558KB, 500x375px
>>3053663
>Brazil master race?
I miss when you monkeys had no internet.
>>
>>3053131
It depends what console you have though, for instance you won't see a difference with the snes, n64, ps1 or the saturn
>>
>>3053830
What are you talking about?
>>
>>3053845
Stuff he knows nothing about. Obviously.
>>
>>3053675
>>3053671

check ur privilege
>>
>>3053128
How much would a pal keio 2 without a case be worth?
>>
>>3053867
>check ur privilege

I believe you meant "huehuehue".
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.