[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post your favorite game. You know, that game you've sunk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: Doom2_title.png (42KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Doom2_title.png
42KB, 320x240px
Post your favorite game.

You know, that game you've sunk thousands of hours into. That game you think objectively tops all other games. That game you think nothing has come close to, even today.

> Pic related
Perfect blend of action, level design, music and sound, graphical art style, varied and strategic gameplay, modification ability built in by the creators, still has huge level making scene going strong constantly churning out quality content.
>>
>>3049085
In my personal opinion, Doom's "art style" is more of a nostalgic and iconic thing than being genuinely amazing.
>>
>>3049126
I don't feel that way. I think it strikes a perfect balance between giving enough detail to provide a direction, but leaves enough to the imagination to fill in the missing details.

It also gets pixelated up close and that's an aesthetic preference of mine, it always has been, even in the 90s. I lamented high resolution games of the mid-late 90s because they were all about "realistic" lighting of simple polygons with shitty texture smoothing.
>>
Thief 2, and playing and creating its fan missions
>>
>>3049085
>varied and strategic gameplay
not really at all.
collecting all the keys and advancing the exit in a linear fashion is not varied or strategic. Target priority is the only real tactics in the game (yes, "tactics". Strategy implies large scale forces on a campaign map, supply trains, production, etc. Tactics is the small scale field battles and skirmishes. Doom is not "Strategic" in any way)

Also the music in doom is awful. MIDI covers of thrash metal songs is not conducive to atmosphere. The game was great for 1993, but thats about it.

What game have I played over and over again and sunk countless hours into?
probably System Shock 2.
>>
>>3049458
Have you listened to the Doom music on a proper roland synth? Sounds a lot better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT_dUpSYwZU
The yamaha guitars aren't half bad either.
>>
File: kof98[1].png (23KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
kof98[1].png
23KB, 320x240px
>>
>>3049470
Yamaha's cymbal ride thing is practically not there.
>>
File: 1450853834237.jpg (9KB, 316x208px) Image search: [Google]
1450853834237.jpg
9KB, 316x208px
>>3049085
>tfw left it away
>>
>>3049470
>The yamaha guitars aren't half bad either.
yes they are. I've you've ever heard a real guitar, you'd know.

Its not so much the sounds, but the writing itself that is the weak part. very repetitive and boring. You can tell he comes from more of a band background and isn't classically trained.
>>
>>3049085
Plutonia is way better.
>>
>>3049747
your a bitch
>>
>>3049803
hahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>3049458
>System Shock 2

I will never understand what people saw in this game. I found it boring and tedious, and had IMO, among the worst implementations of RPG elements I've ever seen in an FPS.
>>
>>3049458
>(yes, "tactics". Strategy implies large scale forces on a campaign map, supply trains, production, etc. Tactics is the small scale field battles and skirmishes. Doom is not "Strategic" in any way)

I don't think you know what either Strategy nor Tactics mean.
>>
File: 84559-mega-man-5-nes-front-cover.jpg (202KB, 800x1131px) Image search: [Google]
84559-mega-man-5-nes-front-cover.jpg
202KB, 800x1131px
To this day, i still think Megaman 5 is the best one of the series.
>But the weapons are shit, muh Metal Blade/Shadow Blade
Gyro Attack can kill Metools under their helmets, that's something that wasn't been done in other games, Crystal Eye trickshots are the best, just shoot a wall behind you and leave the mini balls kill things, Gravity Hold erases annoying fleas, Napalm Bomb kills the big things, Star Crash renders CrystalMan's Stage in easy mode (those crystals that fall into you are shielded by the S.Crash) and DarkMan Castle 2, Power Stone can take down aerial enemies in case you ran out of ammo or you want to save amo for the G.Hold, Water Wave is too situational but it makes some parts less annoying, such as DarkMan 1 and those Metools that explode into mini Mets and Charge Kick is the best thing ever, invuln and a highly powerful slide are the best combo and Super Arrow makes Rush Jet look useless and its good for speedrunning.
>But it has lame/forgettable music and mediocre levels
Everything looks way better than in the previous Mega Man games, better pixel art and backgrounds that don't look flat. And the music is amazing, it might not be MM2 Wily Castle 1 (honestly, this is a very overrated track) but it still holds up a candle, specially DarkMan's Castle theme.

Also, a last point in favor to MM5, the charged buster is PERFECT, it doesn't have the annoying looping sound from MM4 and when you release the button, there's a powerful sound effect (Which was taken away in MM6, what the fuck?) and also makes Buster-only runs much better and fun.
>>
>>3049843
Also, to put examples of the outstanding music of MM5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLI6FzBY_JA - NapalmMan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o8VHKE2lpM - StoneMan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZWDWJNYEhk - GyroMan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cuDFYZXw0c - ProtoMan's Fortress
>>
>>3049458
>Also the music in doom is awful. MIDI covers of thrash metal songs is not conducive to atmosphere.
Yeah it isn't conducive, it is completely bad ass. I cannot imagine the Doom games any other way. Though the track "Getting too Tense" is probably my favorite between the two games and that is far from a metal track.
>>
>>3049458
it said game, not a war campaign

games should not require thinking more advanced than doom or diablo

people want entertainment not another way to do trepanning, if I wanted that, I would've gone to school
>>
>>3049126
I like it because it's a bit absurd at times
something that would be kinda hard to make look good today I think
>>
>>3049830
This poster later went on to google what he though he knew, only to find he was incorrect.
>>
>>3049867
>should not require thinking more advanced than doom or diablo
disagree completely. Doom and Diablo are fairly arcade in gameplay. There is much more to games than this. Doom and Diablo are for simpletons who want to hacknslash.

Look at games like Space Station 13 or Dwarf Fortress, where it requires you to learn a whole lot of information just to play. They are the other extreme from your arcade games, and still highly enjoyable if you have the patience, intelligence and inclination.

The moral is there's a wide variety of gamers. some want arcade hacknslash like doom or diablo, some want complex time investing games, and people like all the shades in between.
>>
>>3049747
It still amazes me that there are people who say Plutonia is tedious and bullshit. IMO, its among the fairest, most balanced "hard" wads for Doom.
>>
File: scrn0000.png (208KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
scrn0000.png
208KB, 1024x768px
This here. Descent 1 also rates very high, and Descent 3 gets a honorable mention.

I've played the shit out of Dooms, Dukes, Quakes, Half-Lifes and a million other games, but this is what I always come back to. Again and again.
>>
>>3049843
Unpopular opinion but honestly, I agree. Such cool stages, strong mechanics, everything works great. MM5 gets no love.
>>
>>3049473
I'd like to play KoF with /vr/ some day.
>>
>>3050774
/vr/ can always use more fightin', I could swear there was a group to coordinate matches on Fightcade but the details elude me now

If there isn't then there should be
>>
File: 1451364671757.jpg (642KB, 995x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1451364671757.jpg
642KB, 995x1300px
>>3049843
Honestly the worst classic mega man in my opinion. Unmemorable stages and music, piss easy, added nothing and did nothing interesting other then gravity man's stage. Even then I would say it's just mediocre, not X quality at least.

Real best mega man is 4.
>>
>>3051204
That was /v/ who did that. /vr/ has never done it and probably never will because we don't have time for organizing shit for strangers on the internet.
>>
>>3049895
this poster went on to reply to a post which called him out on his fake claims with his asshole in flames as he did so.
>>
>>3049903
>muh gamer cred
get a load of this fucking m'kek.
>>
>>3051437
Strategy:
-A plan of action designed to achieve a long-term or overall aim.
-The art of planning and directing overall military operations and movements in a war or battle.

Tactics:
-The art of disposing armed forces in order of battle and of organizing operations, especially during contact with an enemy.

Notice how strategy is large scale, and tactics is small scale, when you're actually in contact with the enemy. They are 2 different concepts, fairly clearly defined. Its not your fault game magazines misuse the word "Strategy" all the time.
>>
>>3051491
Whatever guys, I like the way the different enemies and weapons and level designs can interact to make varied gameplay scenarios. OK?
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (160KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
160KB, 1280x720px
mm7
>>
>>3051491
I like how you conveniently left out "an action or strategy carefully planned to achieve a specific end." from Tactics
>>
>>3051640
Yeah people mix those up all the time. Even wikipedia editors. Fairly common mistake
>>
>>3050159
/vr/ is a bitch, go figure.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.