[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Most promising SD => Super Nintendo (SNES) card out there?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: sd2snes gbatemp.jpg (2MB, 2241x1500px) Image search: [Google]
sd2snes gbatemp.jpg
2MB, 2241x1500px
Most promising SD => Super Nintendo (SNES) card out there?

I may go with SD2SNES but I've heard there are better ones out there capable of dumping ROMs as well
>>
Super Everdrive China Version for $60 off of aliexpress. It doesn't play any of the special chip games, but there's only a handful of those worth getting anyways.
>>
File: done_pepe.png (131KB, 512x486px) Image search: [Google]
done_pepe.png
131KB, 512x486px
>>3044502
>>
>>3044502
I think pilotwings, Mario kart, Bases loaded 2, tg 3000, and ballz are worth the $30 if you don't have them.
>>
>>3044502
kirby, megaman, yoshi island, mario kart, street fighter alpha, mario rpg you fucking faggot
>>
>>3044840
SD2 doesn't support most of those you retarded cunt.
>>
>>3044806
>BALLZ
I was with ya right up until that.
>>
Super UFO Pro 8 can dump games but it's unreliable and not worth that added feature. Just get an Everdrive and a Retrode if you really want to dump carts (or backup your save games)
>>
>>3044840

You've got issues man, I said "there's only a handful of those worth getting anyways" and you named pretty much all of them (except SFA2 which is a shitty port). Like the other guy said, SD2SNES still doesn't support most of those and probably never will.
>>
>>3045419

SA-1 probably isn't out of the question but the dev has pretty much admitted that building a SuperFX core is completely out of his league.
>>
>>3044395
To give you a real answer beyond all the dumb arguing in this thread, the SD2SNES is currently the best flashcart for SNES. Highest compatibility rate and great reliability. Like >>3045410 said, the Super UFO can dump carts, but everything else about it is shit compared to SD2SNES.

The main flaw with SD2SNES is no SuperFX (Star Fox, Yoshi's Island, etc.) or SA-1 (Kirby, SMRPG, etc.) support, but then again no other flashcart supports them either. Luckily, most SuperFX games are still fairly cheap on the market. The English SA-1 games are stupid expensive these days, but they're also on Virtual Console. If you get them on Wii instead of Wii U, you can play them in 240p.
>>
>>3045505
Is there a compatibility list?

I look on Krikkz and it never says what games don't work.
>>
>>3046063
Just get a Chinese Super Everdrive for $40. The increased compatibility that comes with SD2SNES isn't worth it.
>>
>>3045471
Sd2snes is open source so it can be implemented by anyone. Crack open an fpga book and get started. Everdrive is kritzzs thing that is closed
>>
>>3046063

https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility

>>3046087

Implementing a proprietary 3D accelerator, even one that primitive, is not for amateurs. No one is going to pick up the source and finish it for free.
>>
>>3045471
>the dev has pretty much admitted that building a SuperFX core is completely out of his league.
Luckily there are only a select few games that utilize the SuperFX chip that are worth playing, and none of them are outlandashly expensive. Pretty much the only one that will set you back any significant amount is Yoshi's Island. Star Fox and Stunt Race FX are still pretty cheap and since Star Fox 2 was never officially released you're better off sticking with emulation for that.

SA-1 is the more important thing to work on since the games worth playing that use it also tend to be relatively expensive.
>>
>>3044395
>Most promising
Must be SD2SNES. They keep promising it's going to get better.
>>
>>3045505
>The main flaw with SD2SNES is no SuperFX (Star Fox, Yoshi's Island, etc.) or SA-1 (Kirby, SMRPG, etc.) support
And it never will, cause the hack behind it couldn't program his way out of a cardboard box. Six years and counting.
>>
>>3050040
You forgot to add, the shitty game genie implementation by hocks, that broke 50% of the games, the solution after almost 6 months of that crap, is just turn off the hock.
Krikzz got it right first try, why this guy could not do it?
Im beginning to think, all that crap about
that guy scamming byu the source code, and money for the project, and thats the reason why he would never implement sa-1 or sfx
>>
>>3050349
>game genie implementation by hocks
Probably nothing to do with Game Genie, which is literally just patching reads from the ROM.

He is using hooks for PAR codes which is a weird choice. Then there are things like in-game reset and so on which aren't really necessary for most people. He could have saved a lot of headaches by having that stuff off by default and labelling the interim firmware as "experimental" instead of "preview".

>scamming source code
>scamming money
Never happened. I've only ever heard those things being suggested by one guy on here who also had a very poor grasp of English. I don't think that's a coincidence. By all means prove me wrong if you can.

>never implement sa-1 or sfx
That shit's difficult, yo. If it was as easy as plugging in or porting the bsnes code it would have been done years ago. Like that other guy said, it's completely open source so theoretically anyone could contribute. Even if they don't have the knowhow to add special chips there are other things that could be added or worked on. I don't really blame SD2SNES guy for how things have turned out. I know firsthand that having a life, a job and a family can really take its toll on someone's productivity.
>>
SD2SNES does not support all enhancement chips.
Is this because the flashcart hardware is not up to the task or because the developer's programming power level is not high enough?

I heard that some of the enhancement chips supported by SD2SNES are poorly implemented.
Are these games still playable?
How do they run compared to SNES9X?

If a n00b with no programming experience were to take up this project of getting full enhancement chip support for SD2SNES how many months would it take?
>>
>>3050040
>he said, as he stroked his neckbeard and shoved DoritosĀ® into his face
>>
>>3050565
>does not support all enhancement chips
Could be both. SuperFX and SA-1 are both fairly demanding by themselves, and implementing something that complex in in verilog is far from trivial.

>poorly implemented
Haven't heard that. The CX4 and DSP chips should be close to perfect. There is a bit of a wave of people at the moment having problems in certain games with in-game hooks but those are only present in the preview builds, not the stable releases.

>noob with no programming experience
A few years at the absolute minimum. Not only do you have to have the ability to program, but you also have to intimately know the hardware you're working with. For someone experienced it would still take a significant amount of time. Programming an emulator is fairly niche and you'd find a lot of programmers are completely alienated from any kind of hardware anyway. Hardware description languages like verilog and VHDL aren't really anything like common programming languages anyway, which is why you can't copy over things from existing emulators. It isn't like Python either where you can just "import SuperFX" and be done with it.

Say if someone gave you a dictionary and told you to rewrite it by hand so that all the words are ordered by how many characters they contain. You have no idea whether certain types of punctuation count or not so you may have to keep reorganizing them. All the while you have people on an anonymous Nepalese singing board second guessing you about it.
>>
>>3050887
>>3050887
6 YEARS OF NOTHING IKARI!
STOP MAKING EXCUSES!
>>
>>3050887
>noob with no programming experience
A few years at the absolute minimum.

So it could've been done by now. Shit it probably is and when the sd2snes stock is sold down enough we'll get a $300 flash cart with a new name and full support
>>3052269
>>
SA-1, SuperFX. Are these the final problems of the flash cart domain?
I mean, once they're implemented and confirmed working 1:1, have we reached 100% compatibility?
>>
>>3052310

There's still a handful of other chips. Star Ocean and Street Fighter Alpha 2 use a chip called the S-DD1.

Beyond that there'd just be a few Japanese titles left.

>>3052282

The dev doesn't even manufacture and sell them himself.
>>
>>3052282
If you start now and work full time on developing the required skills, learning how the SuperFX works and doing all the work you might get it done by 2020. SD2SNES is fully open source so go for it. Here are a few links to get you started:

SD2SNES repo:
https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes

CPU Overview:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microarchitecture

Fullsnes SuperFX documentation:
http://problemkaputt.de/fullsnes.htm#snescartgsunprogrammablerisccpuakasuperfxmariochip10games

bsnes/Higan SuperFX implementation:
https://gitlab.com/higan/higan/tree/master/higan/sfc/coprocessor/superfx

Verilog for beginners:
http://www.asic-world.com/verilog/veritut.html

FPGA Overview:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-programmable_gate_array

Maybe when you get that done you can take a look at SA-1 as well? I hear that one's a bit more complicated.

Thanks for all your hard work, anon.
>>
>>3050349
I'm doing with Byuu was somehow involved, then got screwed out of payment for his work. Makes the most sense, given that anyone else would not intentionally program Cx4 emulation to run OVERCLOCKED and MSU1 to output audio at twice the volume level. From a logical standpoint, these "imperfections" would make a solid proof of concept and help to assure that the programmer be paid for his/her work. And being that they weren't fixed, it'd be safe to assume that programmer went unpaid. I mean come on, if the guy selling this device wrote the shit himself, surely he can change the default audio level and how fast the Cx4 chip emulation runs at. Going on six years without fixing Cx4 emulation is proof enough that something dirty went down.
>>
>>3050394
>>3050887
Your butt must surely be hurting, to be crying so hard.
BTW everyone knows Cx4 emulation runs overclocked.
>>
>>3053490
>>3053494
The exact clock speed of the CX4 isn't known by anyone actually, even byuu. It's one of those cases where "good enough" will allow things to work without exhibiting any noticeable problems. There are only two games that use the thing so unless someone could clearly demonstrate something being wrong it's better not to fuck with it. Has SD2SNES had any problems with CX4 that aren't caused by something else, like the in-game hooks?

That MSU1 audio volume thing is known. The spec was finalized and independently implemented in both bsnes and the SD2SNES, but it got changed again a few times after that. I don't remember all the details so I can't say offhand where the fault lies. One problem that followed from the differing implementations was romhackers creating MSU1 hacks for one that are either too loud or too quiet on the other.

No need to be salty, friend. It's not something worth fighting over.
>>
>>3053572
>The exact clock speed of the CX4 isn't known by anyone actually
Is this true? So if someone were to stick a frequency counter in there and confirm it they'd be worshiped as a genius?
>>
>>3053884
No-one knows for certain how long any of the operations take, which makes knowing the clock speed itself a bit redundant.

Some of the better known CPUs of the era had cycle by cycle documentation available, but this one is very obscure by comparison. The architecture wasn't even known until it was cracked open in 2011.
>>
>>3053912
Has anyone had a word with the Jap fellows who designed these chips?

They might spill the beans assuming they're not still bound by fealty to Nintendo.
>>
>>3052318
I think no one bothers with S-DD1 since there's a hack for Star Ocean that allows it to run on the SD2SNES and the SNES port of Alpha 2 is god awful. There's no incentive to work on something with such inconsequential returns on investment.
>>
>>3053572
>There are only two games that use the thing so unless someone could clearly demonstrate something being wrong it's better not to fuck with it.
Actually it runs noticeably faster, enough that even audio is slightly affected. This is documented in more than one youtube video comparison.

>The spec was finalized and independently implemented in both bsnes and the SD2SNES, but it got changed again a few times after that.
Not a valid excuse. Six years is more than enough time to change the output level to 50%, matching it closer to BSNES.
>>
>>3054265
This. Even SPC7110 support is pointless, cause IF the translated copy of Far East of Eden Zero ever gets released, there will simply be a decompressed hack to bypass the chip. Much like the old graphics packs to bypass S-DD1 & SPC7110 chips of days past and the decompressed hack of Star Ocean already does.

The only unsupported chips worth adding support for are SuperFX & SA1. Not that this will ever happen, mind you.
>>
>>3044395
SD2SNES is the only flash cart endorsed by Coleco.
>>
>>3054340
>The only unsupported chips worth adding support for are SuperFX & SA1.
Even then, it's not like any SuperFX game worth owning is outlandishly pricey, so that likely contributes to the lack of progress on that front.
>>
>>3054307
>Not a valid excuse.

A valid excuse would be it being a fan-made expansion that is not worth supporting. How many games use it to begin with?

Or where do we draw the line when it comes to fan-made hardware expansions? If someone designs a PS3 level polygon accelerator add-on for the SNES, would you then bitch about SD loaders not adding support for it either?
>>
>>3045410
>>3045505
I haven't had any issues with my Super UFO so far other than not supporting ROMs over 32mbit. I also like the pass-through emulation it has going on even though it's not all that useful.

Oh backing up saves works just fine, too.

It really is a third world alternative, but the price makes it worth it.
>>
>>3054307
Sounds like bsnes is the one that is wrong.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.