[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this how a crt looked like? I actually find it quite appealing.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

File: crt-chan.png (755KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
crt-chan.png
755KB, 1280x960px
Is this how a crt looked like? I actually find it quite appealing. The blur and bleed mask the jagged edges of the low-poly models. I think this is why people try to emulate crts to make jagged edges less edgy. Blur+bleed=smoothness
>>
>>3040764
N64 had its own built in AA.
>>
>>3040764
No, that's what an emulator, filter and scanlines look like.
>>
>>3040764
>Is this how a crt looked like?

No, this is how a certain model of CRT as viewed by a certain distance looked like.

>The blur and bleed

FYI, N64 games have an internal blur filter for anything 3D. I don't even know if your shot is accurate in this regard. CRTs also don't blur crap.

Bleed isn't caused by a CRT, but the input signal, in this case NTSC composite, which crams a lot of information in a single sinusoidal stream, and this is a lossy way of carrying images.

>jagged edges of the low-poly models

You don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>3040786
I think the jaggies are more from the low resolution. The 480i/p OOT on gamecube is less jaggy.
>>
>>3040784
>>3040786
Stop splitting hairs, faggots. It accurately represents what a CRT looks like.
>>
>>3040798
The OP asked us to split hairs? Point of this thread.
>>
>>3040797
As long as we still use raster screens jaggies will never disappear, early 3D or modern 3D. People will complain about jaggies even at 4k resolutions because "gamers" are just too accustomed to AA which mitigates the effect.
>>
>>3040798
>It accurately represents what a CRT looks like.
>accurately

It gives a vague idea of what a shabby CRT looks like.
No way a Trinitron looks like that.
>>
>>3040808
OP itself looks really good as far as CRTs go. Are you saying this because of the less pronounced scan lines? The real issue here is it's trying to imitate a subpar signal.
>>
>>3040764

CRTs were scanline- less when sitting in the distance like you normally do. You could only see them if you were sitting in front of the screen, like we all did as kids, which makes believable CRT filters a very special kind of comfy.
>>
>>3040808
Ok, CONSUMER CRT. No one outside of retro autists have Trinitrons.
>>
>>3040851
How young are you?
>>
>>3040851
Nugga I grew up watching trinitrons, many friends parents had them too. Nobody outside of retroautists and dirt poor people own a crt for entertainment these days.
>>
File: how the developers intended it.jpg (43KB, 337x191px) Image search: [Google]
how the developers intended it.jpg
43KB, 337x191px
>>3040851
Developers even recommended them back in the day.
>>
>>3040856
29. You?

>>3040869
Oh, really? I never saw one. Most had American sets or one of the countless other brands of CRT.
>>
>>3040879
How the fuck are you 29 and never heard of a Trinitron?
>>
>>3040871
What's the source of that?
>>
>>3040879
Where did I say I haven't heard of Trinitrons? Learn to read.
>>
>>3040884
The part were you said consumer TVs shitnuts.

There's no way you grew up anytime from the 70s up and don't know what a Trinitron is.
>>
>>3040851
>No one outside of retro autists have Trinitrons.
I'm not even a CRT autist and I have two perfectly working Trinitron CRT from the 90's, a TV and my old PC's monitor, they were all the rage back then, and it shows, they're pretty amazing pieces of hardware.
>>
>>3040890

I clarified >>3040798 to mean it gives an accurate representation of what CONSUMER CRTS look like. The AVERAGE CRT. Which was not a Trinitron. I know what a fucking Trinitron is.
>>
>>3040894
>The AVERAGE CRT. Which was not a Trinitron
They are the most popular consumer set of TVs of all time.

Think it's obvious you're like 15 years old or something.
>>
>>3040896
Any proof? No? Whatever you say.
>>
>>3040903
I'm done kid. Holy shit has this place fallen.
>>
>>3040882
/vr/. Do you question the authenticity?
>>
File: crtfags_in_a_nutshell.png (31KB, 867x942px) Image search: [Google]
crtfags_in_a_nutshell.png
31KB, 867x942px
>this thread
>>
>>3040764
>Is this how a crt looked like?

not really. you could see the little individually coloured subpixel phosphor thingies in the real thing, and they werent so perfectly square as what your filter gives.

>The blur and bleed mask the jagged edges of the low-poly models.

you could still see jaggies on a CRT. you could still see aliasing too.

>I think this is why people try to emulate crts to make jagged edges less edgy.

eh, maybe. one thing that would help more than CRT filters, though, would be playing the game at the proper view distance.

old console games were played halfway across the room, not right in front of you on a laptop or mobile screen.

>>3040781
the AA of an n64 is a texture filter only, and his image displays it already in use.

if you use an emulator to force point filtering rather than bilinear, it really puts a perspective on how small n64 textures are...
>>
>>3040913
Just curious what game and for what platform someone would be recommending to get a TV/monitor for.
>>
>>3040924
see
>>3040921

You can't see them at a normal distance i.e. further than 2ft from the screen
>>
>>3040934
read better.

I actually make the suggestion to sit at the proper distance from the screen in my 3rd section just before my reply to the second post.
>>
>>3040934
My current seating setup is about 5 feet back and I can absolutely still see them.
>>
>>3040851

Trinitron is a consumer CRT. Not everyone bought shitty tvs back in the day.
>>
>>3041002
No you can't, faggot.
>>
>>3040786
>You don't know what you're talking about.
You don't know what you're talking about.
320x240 = low res = jagged edges.
>>
>>3040813
but i thought it was the benefit of the subpar signal to blur and bleed the low res into something more consinsent and mask jagged edges?
>>
File: RetroArch-0304-225751.png (1MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0304-225751.png
1MB, 1440x1080px
>>3040924
thank you. good explanation.
i realised people think people who emulate use crt shaders to make it look like a real crt - which is not the intention. the intetion is to make it less pixelated but still sharp.
which ntsc s video filter + crt with scan line kind of create. it is sharper than just bicubic or bilinear and it looks less pixelated. a true crt that still keeps the sharpness is unfavoured for 3d games - only applied to 2d games. people want blur .
attached image is not a wanted look when you emulate 3d. you want higher res or blur or better both.
>>
I desperately wanted a high resolution monitor and monitor cable for my snes in the 90s, but couldn't afford it

filterfags need to be examined

or more likely, theyre just moronic fucking children
>>
Looks good.
>>
>>3041841
This. Filterfags are always underage. Who else needs to ask what a real CRT looked like?
>>
>>3041862
real crt is not the intended look. the intended look is smoothness and sharpness which a crt does not provide as well, only subpar ntsc signal +crt privdes this good look.
>>
>>3041830

Use interget scaling when using crt shaders if you want even lines, which look nicer.
>>
>>3041862
Every CRT I've owned has lacked these alleged scanlines and general low-quality fuckery. And I went through four of them.
>>
>>3041904
you don't need integer scaling for most crt shaders to work. you dont even need integer scaling for 2d pixel art when using a crt filter.
you only need integer scaling when using no filter at all. btw the scan lines are even.
>>
File: rsz_250cuteanimpic6.jpg (22KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_250cuteanimpic6.jpg
22KB, 320x240px
>>3041806
Wow, you're going to just define almost every retro games as having jagged edges with that - defeating the entire PURPOSE of the word, just so you can pretend you're right. Jagginess in a computer game is a completely different concept and you clearly haven't a clue.

Pic related, it's 320x240, does that look "jaggy" to you? Faggot.
>>
>>3040921
crtfag should be licking the crt and fapping.
>>
File: IMG_20160304_200433.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160304_200433.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>3040764
No, anon, consumer CRTs from back then did not look at all like this. Truth be told, the picture in the right perfectly depicts the real quality and definition of the type of television that was commonplace in the 90s (albeit it looks MUCH BETTER IN PERSON as the camera distorts it considerably). Also, the real video signal for true retro gaming is composite. Anything "better" completely relegates the authenticity of the experience and deviates from the developer's expectations for the games. Also, I've seen a myriad of consumer CRTs and NONE OF THEM HAD VISIBLE SCANLINES. As a matter of fact, if it weren't for the internet I'd never know CRTs had horizontal "scanlines".
>>
>>3041974

>sem som

brbr
>>
>>3041974
i love those little things, made silent hill 1 look even cooler
>>
>>3041974
Arcade CRTs had noticeable scanlines
>>
File: royale-slotmask.png (606KB, 782x811px) Image search: [Google]
royale-slotmask.png
606KB, 782x811px
CRTs cannot be accurately represented at 1080p or lower resolutions. At least 4K is needed for a decent level of detail of the shadow mask, though more is always better.
>>
File: royale-slotmask3.png (435KB, 772x840px) Image search: [Google]
royale-slotmask3.png
435KB, 772x840px
>>3042087
>>
File: royale-bvm.png (257KB, 758x851px) Image search: [Google]
royale-bvm.png
257KB, 758x851px
>>3042091
>>
>>3041957
that's not polygon you moron. every 320x240 3d rendered polygon has jagged edges.
>>
>>3041916
Exactly. You've got people asking if their filters look like a CRT when in fact they just look like you're looking at one through a camera.
>>
>>3042098
its the same like with the gameboy filter. people create these filters after photographs instead of the real thing from a normal viewing distance. thus we get magnifying class effect also for crts.

but we have to keep in mind that hdtvs have more than double effective resolution of a crt so if you were to stretch the structure of the crt to an area of a hdtv you would actually see the scanlines.
>>
>>3042109
>people create these filters after photographs instead of the real thing from a normal viewing distance

People who make these shaders have the real thing to go by. The Game Boy Pocket shader is very accurate according to my own actual Game Boy Pocket.

People who code this stuff aren't doing it blind.
>>
>>3040764
Real N64 had a VI filter that eliminated jaggies but blurred the fuck out of everything, so it would be blurrier than that.
>>
>>3041802
Not everyone has myopia
>>
>>3040924
>the AA of an n64 is a texture filter only, and his image displays it already in use.
>>3042135
>Real N64 had a VI filter

The system also supports a conventional (i.e. more than just a filter) edge AA pass on the internal edges of polygons.
>>
>>3042096
No, they're just more noticeable with closer 3D objects. Without any interpolation, polygons are always going to be jaggy on raster displays.
>>
>>3042642
yeah nice stretch - do you do yoga?
320x240 3d polygon graphics are pixelated and have jagged edges. Even with anti-aliasing they still look like shit.
1080p and 4K 3d polygon graphics are 1000x smoother. And with anti-aliasing they look beautiful.

Also you can't compare polygons with photorealistic renders or real life photographs or paintings. nice stretch again.
>>
>>3041974
>composite.
What about s-video?
>when a console could do it.
Saturn looks sexy with s video in a decent crt tv!
>>
>>3040764
>Is this how a crt looked like
>Looks at image
>Image looks like shit
Yep, thats a CRT image alright ...
>>
>>3044779
SICK troll.
>>
NO. Go fish a CRT out of the dumpster and try yourself. I don't really see the harm in passing emulation through a crt, original is what I prefer, but emu is fine. For the love of the game right?
>>
>>3044823
Tried that. My HDTV with filters looked better. Sorry
>>
>>3044853
Kill yourself.
>>
>>3044857
No. Stop being butthurt and pretentious. It is very unhealthy for you.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.