[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Be me >Be playing a fun puzzle game called 'Kwirk'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

File: amazingtater.jpg (555KB, 1514x1600px) Image search: [Google]
amazingtater.jpg
555KB, 1514x1600px
>Be me
>Be playing a fun puzzle game called 'Kwirk' for the Game Boy
>Almost beat it
>Read that there is a sequel to it called 'Amazing Tater' for the Game Boy
>Picture related
>Decide to get this game as it looks fun
>Look it up on eBay
>Jaw drops

This game is one of the most expensive, rare games for the Game Boy. It's like $400 for just the cartridge.

Do any of you guys own this game? Fuck, I want to play it but I'm not going to shell out that kind of money.
>>
It's possible you could acquire the read only memory contents of the cartridge and execute them within a program that emulates the Game Boy hardware.
>>
>>3038275
Yeah, okay, Merlin. You go discuss alchemy with Archimedes and leave the video games to the humans who aren't in Hogwarts.
>>
>>3038275

I'm a purist. I enjoy experiencing games the way that they were created to be experienced. I have to play the games on the original hardware or else I feel like I didn't really "beat" the game.
>>
>>3038289
Being a purist is good. That's how the games were meant to be played
>>
>>3038289
What's the point of being a purist if it means not playing games if they're too expensive? Purists are rich fags that like to waste their cash.
>>
>>3038289
Games are executable code. """Purists""" are ignorant sheep.
>>
>>3038313
>>3038313

It's not really a waste of money because you can sell the game for an equal amount of money or more. That is, unless something happens, like people come up with ways to make really realistic reproductions or something.
>>
>>3038289
If only there was a way to take the aforementioned read only memory contents and put them into a cheaper cart so you could play on original hardware.
>>
>>3038245
>>Be me
Who the hell else would you be? Fucking Sonic the Hedgehog?
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>3038384
Printed circuit boards aren't good enough for purists
>>
Let's say that I did spend $400 for a Game Boy game...

How do I even know that it's real? Couldn't some fag with an expensive printer create a counterfeit that looks real?

I would want there to be some sort of security system in place against counterfeit goods if I was going to drop hundreds of dollars on an old video game.
>>
>>3038398
I might be wrong, but I don't think you can make Game Boy cartridges with current 3D printing technology.
>>
>>3038417
You're totally right. There are no such things as counterfeits. We have to wait for 3D printing technology to advance to nanotech before we ever hope to duplicate Nintendo's secret plastic.
>>
>>3038430
Dont even get me started on stickers for the carts. 3D printing is NO WHERE NEAR ready to make stickers
>>
>>3038430
>>3038431

He's pretty clearly talking about the whole thing which would include the PCB, not just the plastic she'll and sticker.

Regardless, yes, obviously counterfeit games are a thing.
>>
Emulation would be the quickest and easiest, but you don't want that.
I guess a GB Everdrive would be a somewhat viable option if you can get one.
If that won't cut it, maybe look into making repros? I'd imagine all you have to do is burn the ROM to a chip and solder it in to a compatible donor cart.
If you still don't feel comfortable, tough luck, you'll have to shell out the cash.
>>
$400 for any game is retarded, especially for a gameboy game lol Just emulate it or something bud
>>
>>3038282
Poor kid.
>>
>>3038245
what is a flashcart
>>
>>3038289
>I'm a purist

No, you're just an autistic moron.
>>
>>3039583

So? That is the usual here lol.

Haven't you seen people post their collections worth thousands of dollars alphabetized and shit? I'm not the only one here who likes buying the original games.

You piracyfags are the minority on this board. Anyone can download shit. The fun of retro games is the hunting, collecting, and playing the game as it was intended to be played.
>>
>>3039620
>piracy fags
Theres no honor in giving some fucking faggot on the street 300 dollars for an "original cart". You're no better then the guy who plays the games on emulators on flashcarts.

>the fun of retro games is the hunting, collecting and playing the game as it was intended to be played

Flashcarts do this without the bullshit. You're just a trophy hunter. Looking for the big score.

You could save a shitload of time by just playing the games instead of trolling craigslist, fleamarkets and ebay auctions for the fucking -chance- at seeing something you want to play.

It boggles the mind. Go ahead and collect if it makes you happy, but you're no better than anyone here for it.
>>
>>3039620

The fun of retro games is playing retro games. That's the fun. You might enjoy autistically collecting every single game in a console's library just so you can play them once, get bored of them and leave them to sit on your shelf looking pretty, but that's got nothing to do with playing them. You could be collecting stamps or beanie babies and get the same thrill of spending massive amounts of money to fuel your hoarding obsession.
>>
>>3039620

>The fun of retro games is the hunting, collecting, and playing the game as it was intended to be played.

Or just playing and enjoying the games, you know
>>
>be me
no
>>
>>3039620
>You piracyfags are the minority on this board.
You must have missed the thread a while ago with the strawpoll about how we like to play games. I don't remember the exact figures, but people playing on emulators were the majority, collectors are the minority.
>>
>>3038312
The original gameboy had a shitty display and no backlight. I prefer playing gameboy and gameboy color titles on my SP anyway, why does playing on original hardware make it a better experience?
>>
>>3038325
This assumes both that the price maintains and that you can find a buyer
>>
>>3038312
you retards are just precious.
>>
>>3039645
>looking pretty
more like looking autistic as fuck. another reason emulating is so much better, it doesn't make you look like a disgusting man child with decades old toys everywhere
>>
>>3039792
why are you so upset
where is your wife hanging out at right now?
>>
>>3039858

She's out with her son, but this isn't the case
>>
People who use the Super Game Boy to play Game Boy games are not purists.

This goes for so-called "authentic hardware only" drones like AVGN.
>>
File: 1450471946403.jpg (35KB, 493x387px) Image search: [Google]
1450471946403.jpg
35KB, 493x387px
>>3038282
>>
>>3038245
>Read that there is a sequel

there's a sequel and a prequel
>>
>>3040105
Are you implying that using an emulator is hipster? Because then I've got bad news for you
>>
I played this game. You're a little potato shooting dots at enemies while trying to navigate through a very long, maze tower.

It is shit. Not worth it.
>>
>>3040378
Hes not just any potato, but the amazing tater!
>>
File: 1451301690796.gif (897KB, 602x452px) Image search: [Google]
1451301690796.gif
897KB, 602x452px
>>3040105
>not faggy hipsters who played Mario 3 once on a toaster of a computer.
I take offence to that Douglath, I'm a faggy hipster who played it on my very expensive MacBook.
>>
>>3040105
So telling OP not to drop $400 on a video game makes me a hipster emu fag?

Fine i take it back. OP, be a 100% legit gamer and drop $400 on a gameboy game that you will play for a bit and then put on a shelf to collect dust just for sake of saying that you own it. Knock yourself out.
>>
>>3038390
kek'd
>>
>>3038245
Kwirk is far better
>>
>>3038245
Own trip world, been searching for this game for a few years.
>>
>>3038313
At some point money ceases to be a issue for some.
>>
>>3040672
my comment got deleted, but OP clearly wanted to talk about the physical version of this game, and then the emulator kiddies decided this was somehow about them, and made irrelevant posts everywhere.
>>
>>3041208
Emulator users tend to be very, very defensive towards collectors.
>>
I have it. Bought it for 15 bucks from a retro vidya store couple years ago.

The label is in good shape but the cart is somewhat yellowed. I'm guessing the seller used a marker to note the lot number or something.

Been considering selling it. Can post pics later if anyone wants.
>>
>>3040378

OP here.

You're thinking of a different game called Spud's Adventure.

Amazing Tater is a puzzle game.

>>3041364

How much would you sell it for? I'd be willing to pay a decent price, not the jacked-up $400 price on eBay.
>>
>>3041712
I'll sell it to you for 400 dollars, thats the current price. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its jacked up.
>>
>>3041213
And collectors tend to be very defensive towards people who emulate
>>
>>3041927

It's jacked up. It's the "Buy It Now" price that no one is willing to pay on eBay.

The last time Amazing Tater sold on eBay was in 2013 for a little over $100.

I guess that is the modus operandi of reseller scum... keep posting a game with a high fucking "buy it now" price until people are eventually willing to pay it.

I'm not paying that fucking shit though. I would emulate sooner than pay that price.
>>
>>3041208
Well i don't emulate other than in rare cases like this where i really want to play a game but will not drop $500 on one. Rare or not, its a waste of money.
>>
>>3038245
If anyone surfaces and has this, I'm willing to buy it. Spuds adventure is also a really hard game to find.
>>
>>3041927
Let's talk
>>
40 dollars flat. Videogames were meant to be played.
>>
I remember this on eBay around three years ago for €40. It's a good example of the Nintendo collecting bubble, especially if it's not actually selling.
>>
>>3042232
>the bubble meme
Bubble heads, it's a steady, stable market not a bubble. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
>>
>>3041712
>how much would you sell it for?

I don't think you'd be interested. I'm not from the US.
>>
>>3042110
Oops meant to type 400 and games are meant to be payed*
>>
>>3042346
He just wants it for cheap so he can resell it for like 300 anyway. I doubt he gives a shit where you are.

If he wanted to play it, he'd be playing it literally right now.
>>
OP here.

Wellll I guess I am going to have to eat crow. As much as I am against piracy with playing these retro games I don't really have a choice when it comes to 'Amazing Tater'. I'm not paying $400 for a single Game Boy game, especially when I lack the knowledge to even be sure I'm not getting some professionally made counterfeit from China.

If you search on Google "play Amazing Tater" the first result that pops up is a site that lets you play it in your browser. You don't even have to download the ROM or anything. Talk about making copyright infringement easy LOL.

I'm playing it on this site. I'm currently on level 10 of the average levels. It's really fun, you guys should play it with me, since we're all bros here, it could be kind of a bonding experience, ya know bros?
>>
>>3043950
>browser based emulation
End yourself

Fun game tho
>>
>>3043996
>Fun game tho

Yeah it is. Play it with me, bros. We can help each other out if we get stuck.

Level 10 of the average levels is a dozy. I've been stuck on it since yesterday.
>>
>>3044003
Post screenshot
>>
>>3044105

I just beat level 10 of the average levels.

Currently on level 1 of the hard levels.
>>
>>3043950
>us bros rite? us bros
Holy cow, end your life.
>>
>>3044120

LOL despite there being a lot of snarky comments and random insults on this board I do feel a sense of camaraderie with you guys.

I bet that most of us on here share certain personality traits in real life. I consider you guys my bros on here.
>>
File: level10.png (47KB, 640x576px) Image search: [Google]
level10.png
47KB, 640x576px
>>3044105

This is what level 10 looks like on the average levels.

I did manage to finally beat it.
>>
>>3044143
2hard4me
>>
>>3043950
>against piracy with playing these retro games
Emulation is hardly piracy. Especially ones like this which never got a Virtual Console release.

Retro games have had plenty of time to make a profit when it was new. Buying a physical copy now just helps a reseller buy another bag of cheetos.
>>
File: 18j22kzmncb15jpg.jpg (27KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
18j22kzmncb15jpg.jpg
27KB, 800x450px
collecting and playing are two totally different hobbies which coincidently inner join with video games. They are both great hobbies, but goals of each individual differ greatly in what they want form their product, which is why purist- and emufags always have to discuss like autistic little children. both sides have pro and cons, one side does not force you to decline the other... get over it

btw, a brainteaser for you
>a collector should emulate everything so he does not damage the collection in any way
>>
>>3044304
>a collector should emulate everything so he does not damage the collection in any way

The only thing that gets damaged from its intended use is the cardboard. Opening and closing the cardboard flaps bends and weakens the cardboard over time.

I'm one of the collectors who cares about the games only. I want to possess the game and actually play it.
>>
File: IMG_20160228_172301.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160228_172301.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>3038245
My roommate was the middleman of a sealed copy of the sequel last week. He has a high end collector contact in New York. I'll post a couple pics I took of it before it was shipped off.
>>
File: IMG_20160228_172415.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160228_172415.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>3044367
Forgot to put in the date.
>>
>>3038282
>>
>>3044375

We are /vr/ not /v/ LOL.

That's a nice rare game there. Wonder what it sold for. According to some sites it could go for as much as $3,500.
>>
>>3044003
Sorry I only play on real hardware. The way it was meant to be played™
>>
>>3044383
Yeah I originally took pics for /v/. My roommates contacts did some research and the price based off of the one for $3,500 was from a complete like new one, not a sealed one. I'm not sure how much was exchanged for it but the guy bought it for more than that, going straight to the VGA grading thing.
>>
Anyone else playing 'Amazing Tater' too?

I told you guys how to find it and play it in your browser.
>>
Collector fags are so dumb.

OMG ITS SUCH A RARE GAME $3,500? SOLD!!!

Yeah maybe its rare but its Tater fucking spud whatever. Its fucking shit and its a gameboy game of all things OOOOOO SO RARE people are so dumb.
>>
>>3038390
Sonic the Hedgehog here
I fucking hate all you judgemental cunts on this board you're all just fucking jealous
>>
>>3038289
>"REALLY" beat the game.

Am I the only one who doesn't care about the newfangled achievement points e-dick culture.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.