[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greatest retro platformer of all time. You can't prove

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: warioland2.jpg (176KB, 800x798px) Image search: [Google]
warioland2.jpg
176KB, 800x798px
Greatest retro platformer of all time.

You can't prove me wrong, either.
>>
>>3031586
Virtual Boy Wario Land was better

Im not joking
>>
File: download.jpg (12KB, 161x144px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12KB, 161x144px
>>
3 was better. 1 was also better. 4 was better too, but that's not retro.
>>
>>3031604
1 is not better 4>3>2>1
>>
>>3031623
And the Virtual Boy WL is king of them all

Is that shit emulatable? Cause you niggas need to experience it. I can't even play Wario games because they're terrible compared to VBWL
>>
>>3031586
It's not even a platform game, it's a puzzle game like Fez. You can't even die in it. 1 is much better.
>>
2 was one of the worst games in the series

3 made 2 absolute
>>
>>3031586
I can't believe some people have the balls to call 1 superior.
Like, did we play the same games?
>>
>>3031595
>the best mario platformer of all time wasn't even made by miyamoto

Why is this never held to the same light as the NES games? This is by far one of the best mario games i've ever played.
>>
>>3031586
Probably one of the best handheld platformers ever made.

3 was a disappointment though.

>>3031593
I've heard it's supposed to be a really good game, but I don't have a VB and don't like neckstrain.
3DS release when?

>>3031604
3 was fundamentally unfun to me, suddenly Wario can't do shit, can't crack rocks, can't charge.
Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance but I got to the desert and it felt like the game was just teasing me and holding out on me.
>>
>>3031781
my guess is because it's a greyscale entry in what's normally a very colorful series

>>3031646
>It's not even a platform game, it's a puzzle game like Fez.
Are they mutually exclusive?
>You can't even die in it.
What about a game like super meat boy, where you "die" but the setback is pretty small and lives are infinite?
>>
>>3031595
This is my favourite mario game of all time.
>>
>>3032105
>Are they mutually exclusive?
Theoretically no, in practice yes. Nobody ever failed to complete Warioland II because their platforming skills were too weak.

>What about a game like super meat boy
Super Meat Boy is shit too
>>
>>3031586
Recently played this game and enjoyed it, night have to go back since I didn't get all the endings.
I'd personally say 2>/=4>3>1
I've yet to play the VB game but it just makes me wonder, with how Nintendo references the VB in their games and advertising, why not have them playable on the 3DS virtual console?
>>
>>3031626
There exist Virtual Boy emulators (though I have no idea if you can turn off the 3D which I feel is a must for me). I wish Nintendo would port the VB lirary to the 3DS, people deserve to play those games.

>>3031646
>You can't even die in it
True, but if you fucked up, you lost coins, and you kinda need the coins to get the treasures and to reveal the treasure map.

Also the bosses would heal if they slapped you out if the arena. I particularly liked the basketball fight, I've never had that in a game, it's like Escape From LA but not forced and retarded.

>1 is much better
I actually can't agree or disagree with you. I played it a bunch as a kid, but it's not until more recently when I replayed it after over a decade later, that I can fully appreciate it.

The levels are short, but that's also the allure, they're perfectly bite sized for a game on the go.
You can easily blaze through a level or two waiting for your food order or appointment.

WL1 is fundamentally a game that's concieved as a portable and does this with complete grace.
I want to say that 1 is as good as 2, but in completely different ways.
>>
>>3032136
>since I didn't get all the endings
Oh mang you've gots to do this, there's a bunch of different endings and branching paths, the branching paths also get some rather creative level design.

The first branch in the game happens as soon as it's starts, when the clock rings, DON'T get out of bed (don't press any buttons) and you get an alternate path leading to an alternate ending.

I 100%'d Wario Land 2 a while back, and it was the most enjoyable handheld platformer I've had the pleasure to play, it's a VERY ambitious game for a 90's handheld.
>>
File: Donkey_Kong_94_box_art.jpg (26KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
Donkey_Kong_94_box_art.jpg
26KB, 250x251px
>>3031586
Ahem
>>
>>3031586
That's not even the best Wario. It's good, but Virtual Boy Wario Land is amazing.
>>
>>3032237
Arguably one of the best puzzle platformers ever made. It's got a lot of variety in level design and music. On the other hand, some levels can be annoying. Birds in Ninja Gaiden annoying.

Also, you gotta play it on a Super Gameboy, that's the complete DK '94 experience IMO.
>>
>>3032259
VB Wario Land is pretty good, but WL2 and WL3 really presented the "Wario can't die" idea well. That's what makes them the most interesting entries in the Wario series. The other Warios might as well just be Mario games, except now starring Wario. WL3 kinda went overboard on the exploration though, and forces you to backtrack way too much in the same level in order to 100% the game though.
>>
>>3031626
I beat VBWL on mednafen. You can tweak the graphics to make it look like a Gameboy game instead of stereoscopic.
>>
>>3031646
The punishment is heavy knockback and wasting your time when you get hit, which is more or less the same as dying.
>>
>>3031586
>collectaton
>platformer
>>
>>3032460
collectathon is literally a sub-genre of platforming, ya dingus
>>
>>3032402
What parts did you find annoying? As a kid I remember having a lot of trouble on some of the jungle stages (especially on the stages where you had to transfer fast moving enemies from platform to platform) but returning to the game as an adult it overall feels well rounded but challenging nontheless.
>>
>>3032603
To me it started to get frustrating in the pyramid levels but it got seriously aggrevating in the levels on the plane, the ice world and the mountain world. I sincerely believe that the final boss in the game is one of the hardest fights I have ever encountered in a Nintendo game.
>>
>>3031595
I actually just played this for the first time, I was expecting a good but watered down mario game but got a fucking masterpiece. Wish more mario games tried to do actual interesting concepts for worlds.
>>
>>3032237
Aren't this game Mario vs DK on the GBA basically the same thing? Is it still worth getting?
>>
File: Donkey kong.png (10KB, 500x448px) Image search: [Google]
Donkey kong.png
10KB, 500x448px
>>3032686
Yeah I also remember having trouble with the iceberg level, with the slippery ice and the invisible doors, and then you had those stages where you had to use the falling icicles as platforms which were only a few pixels wide.

The final boss is tough I suppose considering you take one hit you die, but he does telegraph his moves pretty clearly (except maybe for that move where he does three consecutive fist slams in a row). And besides once you beat him you get a nice, heart-warming, family photo with him. Games don't have enough of that.
>>
>>3032706
The game is worth getting and it's not the same thing, mario vs DK is more of a spiritual successor. There are no mini marios in DK94.
>>
>>3032057
There is literally no reason why Nintendo should not release VB games on 3DS. If you have the rights to something, why not put it out?
>>
>>3032237
I love that game, I got a copy off ebay several years ago but I found out the cartridge doesn't hold saves. It will save your progress, but as soon as you turn the SNES off, the save file is lost.
>>
>>3031586
Nintendo is the king of platformers anyway.
>>
>>3033304
>literally
Does shoehorning this random word into your sentence add to its meaning in any way, shape, or form? You should consider adding a couple more to really spice your post up.
>>
>>3033609
Nintendo should Literally and unironically release based virtual boy games (all 3 [three] of them) for Virtual Console imho. I mean, it's 2016. Come on.
>>
>>3033609
I literally don't care.
>>
>no one posted this yet
>>
>>3034126
I have that one. It's in german though.
It's the best platformer.
>>
>>3031626
If I ever get a VR headset, I was thinking of using it with a Virtual Boy emulator just to play this game, could be an interesting experience.
>>
File: Super Mario World Art.jpg (135KB, 544x456px) Image search: [Google]
Super Mario World Art.jpg
135KB, 544x456px
From a pure gameplay perspective, it's Super Mario World. It places you in the most challenging, precision-tight situations. Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 can be slow at times, Yoshi's Island lacks brilliant [gameplay] stage design, and Super Mario Bros. 3 has levels which are too short.

SMW doesn't feature all the power-ups of SMB 3, and it doesn't have over-the-top graphics like in Yoshi's Island, but it's still the best at what's supposed to do. It delivers a wonderful and pleasant art style, with a magnificent soundtrack (that you have to listen for to get.)
I like Donkey Kong Country and Yoshi's Island better. But I can admit when another title is king of the hill.

Pound for pound, Super Mario World is the best platformer ever made.
>>
When does WL3 get good?
I've reached the Desert and there still isn't any way for Wario to charge or to pound blocks.
>>
>>3031760
Absolute what, anon?

ABSOLUTE WHAT?!

But for real, I like WL3 and WL1 more. However, I like >>3031595 more than those two and I can't deny that >>3032237 is a goddamn masterpiece.
>>
On the topic of Wario, are the Wario games after the GBC any good?
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.