[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I still haven't played this game. Which version of it is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

I still haven't played this game. Which version of it is the best? N64, GC, Wii or 3DS?

Keep in mind that for the first 3 versions I will have to emulate them.

I am also curious about what is the best way to play MM. I have already played the N64 version (emulated) 3 or so years ago, and I'd like to revisit it after OOT, but I don't know if the 3ds version is worth it, I heard the changed core mechanics and the overall feeling of the game is vastly different.
>>
>>3026421
Why do we have to have this thread all the time? It's getting a little monotonous.

I'm not even going to recommend a version, invariably someone will argue that X version is better and then someone else is also going to get pissy. Just play the version that looks the best to you.
>>
>>3026421
They all virtually the same. Only autists care about detail like OH NO THEY LIGHTENED UP THE GANON FIGHT A LITTLE BIT.
>>
>>3026421
N64
>>
Honestly I prefer the 3DS version if for no other reason than the fact they increased the framerate. Although its bullshit it still only runs at 30fps, but hey, better than 20fps
>>
>>3026421

N64 of course. It's the true experience. I also didn't really notice the 20 fps because on a modern PC they are stable, whereas on the original harware they could stutter when lots of action was happening, and THAT is noticeable.

Mmmmhhh, silky smooth 20 fps...

The 3DS versions has updated graphics obviously but if that is an improvement is a personal opinion, somehow the blocky graphics are part of its charme for me, it is an old N64 game originally after all, but playable and enjoyable they all are.
>>
>>3026421
Nintendo 64 is the best version. It's the authentic experience.
>>
>>3026421
https://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time/Program_Revision_Differences

The link above shows the differences between the versions. There's also an OoT 1.0 VC wad that can be installed if you have a softmodded Wii. The only differences that matter to me are blood color and the lag reduction, so whatever has the least lag out of the original 1.0, 1.1, or 1.0 VC is the best version IMO.
>>
This is /vr/. Play the original you little buttface.
>>
>>3026425
Seriously, this place reaches levels of autism at times that makes /v/ look good in comparison.
>>
>>3026682

>on /vr/
>surprised that there are regular threads about the retro game that is widely regarded as one of the best games of all time.

There will always be someone who hasn't played it et and got reminded of it by reading a Top100 list or watching such a video on YT or whatever and start a thread about it. Inevitable.
>>
>>3026421

The GC and Wii versions are emulated. Nintendo's in-house N64 emulator isn't terrible, but you'll notice some audio stutter during certain parts of the game. The GC versions (there's more than one collection with OoT on it) are also prone to occasional lock-ups due to the GC's restrictive memory, or something.

The 3DS version overhauls the graphics, but I found it to be hit or miss. While the environments are that much more detailed, they're also way too colorful, and the overhaul doesn't feel at all consistent with the atmosphere established by the original version of the game. The character redesigns are especially awkward. Link looks like something out of an '80s Disney film with his puffy features.\

Myself, I play the version included on the Master Quest disc. Again, there's some audio stutter, and if you're not careful, the game can lock-up. This seems to happen if you move back and forth between too many areas, as I think the allocated memory is being boggled down with too much map cache.
>>
>>3026789
The Gamecube emulation of OoT is also missing some of the graphics like lens flare.

Might have been fixed on VC, can't remember.
>>
>>3026421
Wii VC/N64 are your best options
Wii VC is basically a fixed up version of the GC ports which were already pretty cleaned up and MM has all the glitches from the GC fixed, so honestly it all depends on the TV you're playing on and accessibility.
Got an N64 and the games? play those
Got a a hacked Wii? play the VC
>>
>>3026421
Basically just avoid the 3DS version. It changes the art style of the game, and in my opinion it looks worse. At the very least, you won't be getting the original experience of the game.

Any differences between the N64, GC, and Wii VC versions will pretty much be imperceptible unless you're speedrunning. Just go with whatever is easiest.
>>
For OoT, the Master Quest disc on the Gamecube. OoT for 3DS is MOSTLY fine; it has superior controls, but the graphics lose some atmosphere due to less subtle lighting, and Master Quest in that game mirrors the whole game world.

For MM, the 3DS version is vastly better. You see, MM has game mechanics that are a lot more complex than OoT, but their implementation wasn't thought out too well originally, making the game pretty clunky and tedious to play. MM3D smooths it out for an amazing game experience, and unlike OoT3D the graphics didn't suffer from the update. But all of that is heretical talk on /vr/.
>>
>>3026772
It's regarded by nugamer millennials as "best of all time" which means absolutely nothing. It's a terrible pile of garbage with horrible controls and a linear, boring quest full of WORDSWORDSWORDS bullshit. And MM is even worse.
>>
When you say you'll emulate it, do you mean emulate on wii and play with a GameCube controller or emulate on pc and play with a keyboard? Because I'd normally recommend the original but not if you're using a keyboard. The game is meant to be played in 3D, you need a stick. Just because you CAN play it on an emulator doesn't mean you should. Mediocre controls will result in a much less satisfying experience.
>>
>>3027303
>It's regarded by nugamer millennials as "best of all time" which means absolutely nothing.

rofl were you even alive in the '90s? OoT has been topping "best game ever" lists continuously since its release.
>>
>>3027297
I really didn't like MM3D. I didn't like all the graphical changes, plus the changes the made to the boss battles, and some other assorted ones like the removal of Zora Link's electric swimming.
>>
>>3027303
Majaro's Mask is actually terribly designed. Getting the New Wave Bossa Nova is incredibly tedious and leads into one of the most horrendously designed dungeons in the series history.
>>
>>3027359
What's so bad about Great Bay? I mean it wasn't exactly a fun dungeon, but I wouldn't call it horrendous either.
>>
>>3027359
>>3027370

I really don't know what you are talking about, I love Great Bay temple, it's really cleverly designed and I love the more technical surrounding.
>>
>>3027305
I'm going to play it on PC, but with a PS4/360 pad, so controls aren't a problem.
>>
N64 for atmosphere
3DS Versions for the tweaks and graphical enhancements

That pretty much sums it up imo
>>
File: 1451055038219 (2).jpg (39KB, 403x266px) Image search: [Google]
1451055038219 (2).jpg
39KB, 403x266px
>>3027349
>At work
>Mention I impulse-bought OoT3D
>already have reached the leveled opinion that it's a good but flawed game
>Co-worker suddenly gushes
>Oh, it is the best. game. of all time.
>mfw
>>
>>3027359
>Getting the New Wave Bossa Nova is incredibly tedious

Oh, I agree so much. It was just amazingly bad.
>>
>>3027297
This is by far the best and most accurate answer on here.
>>
>>3028584
>I don't appreciate the full extent of something’s brilliance
>therefore anyone who does genuinely adore it must be a bandwagoner who can't acknowledge any of it's flaws and my indifference make me superior
>>
File: 1445029267818.jpg (16KB, 401x381px) Image search: [Google]
1445029267818.jpg
16KB, 401x381px
>>3028596
>I think that a game revered mainly for its novelty of translating Zelda into 3D and having a straightforward plot and frustratingly restrictive first segment and boring excuses for exploration like holes in the ground with a ruppee chest in them is one of the best games of all time
>>
>>3028584

Now what are your opinions on SMB3 pr SMW?
>>
They are all good really. No big changes between versions except for graphics. 3DS version was perfectly fine. Even had a mirror mode which spiced things up a little.
>>
>>3028624
I never played enough of SMB3 to have a full opinion, and I never really liked World nearly as much as SMB1 or Mario 64.
>>
File: Waluigi_drinking_your_tears.png (39KB, 348x319px) Image search: [Google]
Waluigi_drinking_your_tears.png
39KB, 348x319px
On March 10th (the day TPHD comes out), OoT3D is getting a price-cut to $20. At least in Canada, but NA surely won't be behind.

As for which version is the best. I'm not going to lie, as an OoT aficionado, I would recommend the GCN version (preferably the MQ disk, but CE contains the same vanilla OoT). However, OoT3D is a good deal. You get the game with a new ending cinematic and reorchestrated soundtrack and better graphics, and Master Quest mirrored with double damage (which MQ didn't have before). Best bang for the buck.

The only thing you would be missing out on are things that you would under no circumstances be able to perform on your first playthrough anyways.

MQ3D varies significantly in nonlinearity because of changes to OoT3D. Since you can no longer get the Fire Arrows early with Scarecrow (because Grezzo made clouds block the sun until you beat the WT), you now need to have Din's Fire to beat the MQ Water Temple. Meaning if you don't have it, there is no situation where you can both enter it first and beat it first, because you'd need to go back in time and that requires having awakened Saria. This is ironic Master Quest made OoT more nonlinear because of the WT by giving you access to the Longshot right away. Instead, this peculiarity has made MQ3D the most linear version of OOT.

Also, this pic is for all of you people who are afraid of discussing games even on imageboards online. Your real life is seeping into your online life and you don't even realize it.
>>3027303
>>3026425
>>3026682
YOUR TEARS I MUST HAVE THEM.
>>
>>3027354
This. Majora's Mask is probably my favorite game, but I couldn't finish the remake. I didn't like the visuals, the bosses weren't fun, and the time system was royally fucked, just making the game unenjoyable.
>>
>>3029605

OK I can understand the first two (especially on /vr/ where purist opinions are common), but what the hell are you on about with the time system? Time manipulation is more convenient than ever with the Song of Double Time being made more flexible. Surely you don't mean "muh lack of saving when I reset the cycle"?
>>
>>3026421
play version 1.1, use an emulator and enable a widescreen hack
>>
File: IMG_20160227_202147.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160227_202147.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>3030969
Not that guy but MM added a line timer IIRC, that is more obtuse to use I feel. Also, the owl save points made for interesting situations if you combo'd it with your spare save file (by copying it over before starting). Example; saving the Goron Elder, silencing the baby prince, and then taking the piping water you can get on your way back to melt the first door of Snowhead if you rush.

In MM3D I don't think you can do this, or at least you can't race the clock anymore (which you can't cheat by saving closer to the temple because the game keeps track of it even when the N64 is off).
>>
Most important thing is not to stick to the main story. Get lost early on. And keep getting lost.
>>
>>3026421
Without looking in the comments, and from my experience alone, the VIrtual console version played with a Wiiu pro controller is the best experience. I prefer to play the original pre-1.2 version on the N64 though, because I like original Fire temple theme and the green blood really kills the final boss fight for me.
>>
File: 1451977579741.png (142KB, 421x388px) Image search: [Google]
1451977579741.png
142KB, 421x388px
>>3031186
>Without looking in the comments, and from my experience alone,
Ok. I don't see how that's relevant but Ok...
> the VIrtual console version played with a Wiiu pro controller is the best experience.
The NintendoUK trailer certainly makes it clear that that's the best version visually.
>I prefer to play the original pre-1.2 version on the N64 though, because I like original Fire temple theme
But those versions have the downside of buggy Lost Woods and Ganon's Castle music. It's not worth it. Besides, the normal Fire Temple music is more ambient imo.
>and the green blood really kills the final boss fight for me.
Really mate... c'mon. Stop this self-censorship of what you like based on some purist obligation. 5 seconds is of blood from Ganondorf and Ganon is not a deal-breaker. You've been on /v/ too long if that bothers you.
>>
>>3030978
Don't listen to this guy. The HUD is messed on wide screen.
>>
GC version with Master Quest is awesome.
>>
>>3031386
Not messed, it just doesn't reach the corners.

I started making a code that fixes it, but I have no idea how to move the hearts or rupee counter.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.